1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardman Darwin's Chosen

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Valdac, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    "The survival of the fittest"

Well, I'm officially part of the BC2 (Season 6)! Cathey here we go!

I'm almost completely new to the game but I plan on staying for a long time so I thought of creating this thread, to write all the adventures (and horrible suffering) of my first team: The Darwin's Chosen (I'm a biologist, I couldn't avoid it).

I'll try to keep this updated and my skinks alive! :eek:

THE TEAM

After doing some research and reading a little bit about Lizardmen, it seems that there is only one optimal way of building the initial roster, specially for a long league: that one including the Kroxigor AND the full set of Sauri (and even if it was not the best option... who would leave any of those strong guys at home :cool:). Without further ado, let me introduce you to the players:

#1 - Krogxholankha del Sol (Kroxigor)
    #2 - Xlitla del Alba (Saurus)
    #3 - Mindamatz del Cénit (Saurus)
    #4 - Itza del Ocaso (Saurus)
    #5 - Garshix del Crepúsculo (Saurus)
    #6 - Mazdamun de la Noche (Saurus)
    #7 - Tlantaltec del Eclipse (Saurus)
    #8 - Klitz de la Víbora (Skink)
    #9 - Kailikoet del Crótalo (Skink)
    #10 - Teheutah de la Cascabel (Skink)
    #11 - Goqtoc de la Anaconda (Skink)

THE RIVALS

And now that we know the whole team, let's see what they are going to face during this first season:

- jrpeart coaching "Skryre Skavengers" (Skaven) Loss 2-3 :skull:
    - GreenBear coaching "Infected Bear" (Nurgle) Loss 0-1 :skull:
    - BlackMyles/Blaster86 coaching "Horus' Heroes" (Chaos) Draw 1-1 :bothdown:
    - Larkstar coaching "Dr. Strangebeard" (Dwarves) Loss 0-1 :skull:
    - Cullen coaching "Nuffleheim Nightmare" (Chaos) Draw 1-1 :bothdown:
    - CollyBear coaching "The Spinal Tappers" (Chaos Dwarves)
    - Obstmann/Urbangamer coaching "CloseYourEyesGirl" (High Elves)
    - Werebat coaching "The Real Wyrmwood" (Nurgle)
    - Tacksmith coaching "Garden-Variety Skaven" (Skaven)​

THE PREDICTION
    Now the team has a clear target for the first season: finishing as 9th in Cathey :cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 11:03 PM
    Ravers likes this.
  2. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Looking forward to playing your lizardmen in the coming season! Maybe we'll "adopt" a skink or two...

3. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    Yes, @Werebat ! Same here! I've been around the forum only for a week or two and I've heard a lot about Wyrmwood (and this time is the REAL Wyrmwood).

About the adoptions... I'd recommend you to try with those cuddly Skaven, cute hobgoblins or huggable elves...

4. ParaDoc

ParaDoc Member

Steam Username:
    Doc (Link in Profile)
    Cyanide Username:
    ParaDoc
    Country Flag:
    Im a Lizard only coach and starting out I used this Lizardman guide which helped a ton. http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/playbooks/Lizardmen.pdf

Focus on learning how to screen, cages eat up too many important players for Lizards. Also focus on building your Saurii if you can feed them a touch down every now and then that's ideal, if you're against a slow team such as dwarves, you can try pick ups with Saurii at the start of a drive (ST4 ball carriers at low TV are really good), ~55% chance to pick it up with re-roll. Lastly never ever use your apo on a skink (unless its the last time someones going to take a hit in the game) even if he is a star, rookie and loner skinks are damn good players. and losing even a unskilled saurii hurts a ton.

Also love the team name. (did you know you can custom name players?) You could go for the scientific names of reptile common ancestors! Looking forward to reading the blog!

5. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    If you want to win games do not try ball handling with Saurus unless either the game is safe or you are desperate.

6. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    2 Chaos, 2 Nurgle, 2 Dwarves (Normal & Chaos), 2 Skaven, 1 Elves... :confused:

Thank you both for your advice! @St Cloud & @ParaDoc

I downloaded that guide couple of weeks ago and I've been reading it as my new Bible xD Hope that all the advice there is useful! I still need to get better in screening, but we'll get there...

I also edited the last part of each of the names: each of the Sauri includes one of the different phases of the Sun and each the Skinks includes a different type of Snake. I'm planning on adding some background on how the different phases of the Sun are related to evolution and extinction... When I have more free time :rolleyes:

7. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

And there I was, finally coaching in the big leagues!

The first half started well: Pitch invasion (5 rats & 1 skink down) but I could not take real advantage as my blocks were not very effective and failed to pick up the ball in my first try. Anyway, during a couple of turns everything went fine but at some point I made some wrong calculations, thought that the BC was safe and I didn't take a GFI to close one of the corners of the cage. This led to a series chaotic blitz to the different skinks and GR that managed to pick up the ball and, eventually, the first TD for the vermin team.
    With two turns left, Xlitla & Mazdamun covered Teheutah and opened enough space for the skink to dogde once into our first TD in the Big Crunch! The first half was going to end with a 1-1. Well, that was the idea until I experienced my first OTTD in his turn 8... :( 1-2

The second half was even harder... by turn 12, Itza and Krogxholankha had been sent out injuried (a fault to the poor Saurus and the Ogre Rat falling into a trap but beating the Kroxigor even with 2 red dice). I guess that's the way Nuffle welcomes the newbies. After that, the skinks tried to create a screen but were completely and literally overrun by the unstoppable giant monster, allowing the GR to score again. 1-3
    In turn 14, after the kick, the Skaven get the opportunity to Blitz after the kick and a GR managed to catch the ball he had just kicked :mad:. Everyone could smell the 1-4 coming... However, Teheutah & Mindamatz blocked him to oblivion and Kailikoet ran for his life, survived two GFI and scored the final TD: 2-3.

My personal MVP: Teheutah de la Cascabel (scoring TD, blocking the BC, surviving blocks... he did everything!)

The final result was not great (losing doesn't seem like the path to greatness) but it was not as terrible as it could have been! No long-term injuries, no deaths and 2 TD! However, not a single SPP in the Saurii is not way to go, but it's not my fault... they need to learn how to properly kill or at least injure the enemy players! Come on, boys: AV7!!!

After how scared I've been during the whole second half with those injuries, I've decided to hire a shaman that will bring me peace (and hopefully will save my players): Scyld de la Pirámide. Welcome to the team!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    TwoScoops and Ravers like this.
  8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog, this is a very promising start. Also, I like following Lizardmen teams, they can have a lot of character. I've never played them myself, though, so don't expect any good insight from me :p

9. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, @Borke ! You are more than welcome to come around and give any feedback (even if you are not a Lizard coach, I'm new to every aspect of the game ;))

Thanks to @jrpeart for the game and the advice given. Good luck from now on!

10. Urbangamer

Urbangamer Member

Steam Username:
    urbangamer94
    Cyanide Username:
    Obstmann
    Country Flag:
    Nice to read frome somone in my leauge! looking forward playing you :)

11. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

The second Match Day is over for us! And… Well, I guess the predictions were more accurate than what I would have liked.

After a very close game, we lost 1-0 to @GreenBear and his Nurgle team.

The first half went well. He chose to attack first and thanks to Perfect Defence I could hold my position a bit better. Between turn 2 and turn 5, we repeated the same pattern: the Nurgle warriors created a cage around the BC and my Saurii broke into it, while the cage slowly moved forward. Meanwhile, my Kroxi spent half the turns on the ground receiving faults after being unable to stand firm just once and the enemy Big Guy, the Beast of Nurgle, failed almost every single stupidity check. In turn 5, the BC tried to run away and score, but was intercepted by 2 skinks and was blocked by Goqtoc de la Anaconda. I had a chance to score! However, in my last turn, Klitz de la Víbora dodged and tried 2 GFI... failing twice (used a RR). Instead of scoring, he KOed himself and left me one player down for the second half…

And that was a sign of what was to come! In turn 13, four of my players were sitting outside (2 injuried and 2 KOs) and I still lost another player in the following turn… But even with that, the Nurgle team is so slow (and I was so lucky in my blocks) that I was going to manage and play for the draw. That was the idea until…

[​IMG]

At this point, in my turn 14, Kailikoet del Crótalo was carrying the ball but had 5 enemy players around him. I realised that I could use a blitz to push him out of that situation (he could not run away on his own, with that Beast of Nurgle hugging him). In order to do that play, first I had to go through a short test that the NAF sent me. This is the test and my answer to each question:

[​IMG]

So, of course, I failed the test (I hope that none of my students is reading this), the skink tried to dodge, failed too, the now-free goat from hell picked the ball, there was no Saurus to stop it and scored in turn 16... Well done, Valdac. Really good job. :oops:

Edit: changed some literacy mistakes and some wrong names!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  12. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    On the bright side your blog is fantastic fun.

13. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    Thank you @TravelScrabble ... I'm glad that there is a bright side xD

@Urbangamer you are always welcome! And if I go this crazy when playing our match, you'll win just like everyone else :(

14. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    My predictions usually are mate, sorry! On the bright side very entertaining read and bonus marks for the 'Madness Time' multiple choice test which no one has ever done before to my knowledge!

15. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

We all knew it! Eventually, we were going to… well, not lose one game! For the first time, the Darwin’s Chosen did not lose a match in the Big Crunch! Evolution takes millions of years but only took up 3 games to stop losing!

This week, the enemy team were @Blaster86 ‘s Horus’ Heroes and it was clear that a Chaos team with that name was going to include some lovely and friendly players… We also had a really special guest watching the game: Nuffle himself was there, playing with the coaches as we played with the players! The luck (bad luck, of course) changed sides during the whole game, making it very difficult for both of us to play as we would have liked.

The game could not start better for us… during the first 4 turns, we played push-bowl and that allowed my cage to move forward and forward every turn with no real threat to the BC. Turn 3 was scary: the skinks were vulnerable for the first time and I could hear @Blaster86 shouting to one of his players, Argel Tal, to block and kill Klitz de la Víbora! At the same time, the Chaos player Ahriman blocked Krogxholankha del Sol. As usual, the result was clear… nothing happened to the skink but the kroxi was KO’d… I hate fake AV9. Luckily, Teheutah de la Cascabel scored on turn 4 and he returned to the game.

Talking about fake AV9… During the next turn, right after the kick, Tlantaltec del Eclipse was injuried and will miss the next game. Great. What is wrong with these Saurii? I probably shouldn’t have asked that out loud, as Nuffle was listening and he has a really dark sense of humour… Even with that, the rest of the first half went well, successfully blocking the Chaos team and carrying the TD advantage to the second half. Nuffle was also busy “helping” @Blaster86, as he missclicked once and had a very unlucky :bothdown: in key turns.

At that point, I thought I had Nuffle’s favour and that everything was going to be OK… Ah, I’m such a newbie. :oops: It must be refreshing for all of you! xD Typhus, the Nurgle warrior, was the main BC during this half and he proved to be much more difficult to block that those goats… Turn after turn, my Saurii tried blocking Chaos players and almost everytime that they failed, they ended up KO’d and out of the game. RR were wasted and, although Typhus was finally blocked with a :bothdown: result (of course, it KO’d Mindamatz del Cénit making 3 KO’d and 1 injuried Saurii…), in turn 14 Fabius Bile picked the ball and went-for-it to score the 1-1.

Ok, so it’s going to be a draw… I just have to wait 2 tu… DAMN!!:oops:

During the kick, a couple of angry fans complaining about the lack of death and blood threw stones to the players, hitting a skink and a goat that missed the rest of the match. To keep things interesting until the last second, my first block after the kick was a :skull::skull:… that, together with the stoned-skink left one of my sides completely opened and Argel Tal made it to the ball!!! He was going to score again in turn 16… Not again, please! However, Nuffle was happy with just scaring me and allowed 3 of my skinks to gang-bang that goat and make it impossible to score another TD.

I guess a draw is something to celebrate, especially after those last turns… My problem is still the same: those Saurii are made of glass and they just cannot cause an injury. Not a single one! Anyway… tomorrow I’ll be facing my first dwarf team... It was a pleasure to meet you xD

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Borke, TwoScoops and Regor like this.
  16. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    First of all, apologies for all those who enjoy reading how my team is beaten, injuried and overrun game after game! I've been in Spain for almost 20 days and I did not have time to write any of the reports... But I'm back now and I'm here to bring you another lost game! This time played vs @Larkstar and his Dr. Strangebeard.

Since the BC2 started, I expected this game to be difficult, with all those Blocks in the other team but it started even worse as I was missing one of my Saurii (injuried from the last game). @Larkstar chose to attack during the first half, knocking down my whole line of scrimmage and picking the ball. My first turn? RR used in the second block... After that, I tried to create a screen to stop him from moving forward. During his second turn, Mazdamun de la Noche was blocked and KO'd... 4 Saurii remaining! I was losing the ST advantage very quickly! Xlitla del Alba managed to break the cage, but was pushed out right in the next turn. After that, the Runner Moose Tache moved to the opposite side of the field, where I had almost no defence, forcing me to make some risky movements and blocks so he couldn't just run to the TD line. With 2 Saurii absent, a gang of 3 skinks spent the rest of he half hunting dwarves and stopping them from helping the BC. This is what happened after turn 6:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    At the end of his turn 6, the BC was right at the border of the field, on my right. During my turn 6, I moved those two skinks (Fig.1) and, after a successful block, set Xlitla del Alba free. I made him block the Runner (Fig.2), just pushing him to the border. On his turn 7, he tried to block with the longbeard, getting :skull::skull: (even after the RR) and that gave me a chance (Fig.3).

Here is where I ask for advice: I 1-dice-blocked the BC with the Saurus (Fig.4) getting a :pushback: but I chose to RR, as I wanted him down... and then :skull: :(. What would you do in that situation? Accept the :pushback:? Not blocking at all?

After that, my 2 skinks were blocked and the Runner scored a TD on turn 8.

The second half was really similar to the first one but with me as the attacker. Kailikoet del Crótalo picked the ball and I created a half-cage in the right border of the field. However, when I was 3 squares away from the TD line, he managed to break the cage, the ball fell outside and was thrown right in the middle, allowing @Larkstar to attempt a counterattack that only failed because of a GFI with no RR (So almost a 0-2 for him!)

I keep thinking that if I had done it right during that play in the first half, maybe the game would have ended as a 0-0 draw. Opinions?

I know I'm missing another two reports, and I'll try to write them during this weekend!

PS: Kailikoet del Crótalo got the MVP again... Will I ever get a MVP on a Saurus? xD

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Regor likes this.
  17. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'd possibly have blocked the runner you had against the sidelines with 1D instead, surfing it and just making it harder for the dwarf to score.

More likely, I'd have used the skink furthest down on your picture to put a 1D block on the trollslayer, pushing him over the ballcarrying runner and surfing that runner on a 3+
    (Ok, definitely, if it had been 2D against it'd have been merely more likely due to the better payoff, but I realized your skink had an assist)

After that, if I still had the reroll I'd 1D surf the other runner with a 1D on the saurus to drastically reduce the scoring threat and also have a free skink to move to the ball.
    (If I'd have used the reroll to get a 3+ on the skink, I'd move up the now free skink to give an assist against the other runner and 2D block surf him instead.)

Valdac and TravelScrabble like this.
  18. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    I'd have blocked with the bottom skink trying to get a push so i could push him into the ball carrier and get a surf. Ideally I'd want an extra assist but it looks like you'd have got a 1d with him so with reroll that's a 8/9 to surf the ball carrier.

Valdac likes this.
  19. Valdac

Valdac Member

Steam Username:
    Sunulael
    Cyanide Username:
    Valdac
    Country Flag:
    Thank you both, @Nikolai II and @jrpeart ! Yes, now that you said it, blocking with the bottom skink was probably the right move and, then, surfing the other runner.

During the game, I never thought that blocking with the skink was the right first move... Well, I'll make sure that those options are taken into account next time!

I don't remember the situation of the other players right now but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't bring any other skink/saurus to give an assist on the players in the diagrams. I really struggled to get those 3 players there by making some desperate moves. It's a shame that, after all those risks and being so lucky with his :skull::skull:, I missed the surfing opportunity!

20. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Really nice diagrams though. Well done.