1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DuCTA III Results

Discussion in 'Dungeonbowl and Variants' started by tys123, Oct 17, 2016.

1. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, magic sponges! They are magical!

GG @tys123

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Last game of the regular season and it was a doozey. Mamutas dwarfs found the ball first and proceeded to brute force their way up the left corridor and up the middle. We managed to stall them considerably by putting a prone troll and linerat in the left corridor but our plan to lob bombs at the cage never got off the ground (snake eyes first bomb). Mamutas was having trouble getting his bash going though (wolf died on a 2d against my Pogoer for example). So we managed to sneak a gutter and said pogo round for a cheeky 1d blitz on the ball carrier, but it came up pushes and I ended up chaing pushing a gap in my own prone bodies defense.

At that point the death roller was pushing though to victory and his slayers had won the duel against my fanatic in the middle and where smashing through the back of my defense. I think there was one turn where the ball carrier could actually have run it in with a single gfi but the timer ran out. Soon after we managed to down the bc but came off distinctly worse off in the ensuing scum losing one troll to death and stormvermins to KOs and failed warp ins and the human catcher seemed certain to score. I think Mamutas forgot that the deathroller has break tackle a couple of times, or he was trying to play it safe.

We started making desperation plays, leaping the pogo and my leaping gutter in and attacking the ball and finally we managed to push the catcher into the claws of my trolls who got him down and after a couple of attempts the saw made a hero play, stunning a troll slayer to free up one of my gutters to pick up the ball in two tzs and get away behind a screen up the middle.

After that we couldn't be caught. Although the humans did their best with a lucky warp in, but gutters managed to dodge handoff and run it in on turn 18 or whatever it was.

So still in with a playoff chance, but we'll be going down one troll and one stormvermin so it may not be so great.

3. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Crazy game indeed. And so disappointing. I managed to protect the ball for 1.5 hours and got so close to scoring, but then a few rolls and dodges, and rats scored back in 2 turns.
    And, yes, I totally forgot about Break Tackle (no excuses here) and Magic Sponge (well, I only learned about it last game, so...) Losing two players to the Reaper early in the game (one of them a Wolf) was harsh and even when we paid back with Troll, the spot was too tight to squeeze through for a TD. Nuffle likes to torture me by dangling the carrot, but then stubbing in the back.

GG, TS, and good luck!

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Those games played under ground sure contain some random madness:D

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Randomly enough, once it doesn't matter anymore, Pride Parade managed to (on their second try during the match) to string some dice together and get a Smurf-style win.

6. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Pride Parade 1-0 Subterranean Nasties

Nik's elves found the ball on T3, passed it over a pit to a Halfling on the next turn, but he needed two GFIs and used the RR up on the 1st GFI, then rolled a 1 on the second GFI.
    One of my GRs recovered the ball in our EZ and I got him about as safe as I could get, but Nik had at least one wardancer in range.
    He used the RR on the leap, made a dodge and then got the knockdown.
    His catcher then made a dodge or two, scooped up the ball and ran it into the EZ.

Very quick game, well played Nik.

7. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    So playoffs is guaranteed to be more than 1 team now right?

8. tys123

tys123 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Yes you are in the playoffs.
    If I win the there will be semi's
    If I lose then you play the loser of Smurf vs Ging with the winner of that match playing the winner of Smurf vs Ging in the final.

9. tys123

tys123 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    The Tiny Twins beat Dreamy.

I found the ball in the 1st chest I opened on turn 1. However it was in midfield and he was a bit isolated so I just lobbed the ball back towards my endzone. The next turn I pick up with my AG3 bull and dreamy started the 2d against leaps in. The 2nd one worked but when he tried a dodge into 2 TZ's to get to the ball it scattered onto my block BoB who caught the ball. Dreamy tried a couple more leaps in but neither worked and I had KO'd 2 flings and injured a dancer. By this point I managed to get the ball far enough away from the remaining dancer that he would have had to make multiple dodges before trying the leap so Dreamy threw in the towel. Against higher ST opponents who have a 12 vs 8 man advantage and the ball on a block ST4 player I guess he didn't have much chance of doing anything other than getting his players killed.

That means we have semi's with the winner of smurf vs ging getting to pick their opponent.

10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, narrow corridors and you had enought strength and player advantage that you could just put six guys in a scrum and stop me from ever reaching anyone until we timed out due to lack of players, which wasn't any way I wanted to spend the rest of the evening.

But I guess I should have let it stand in the background instead, to get the MVP and Cash, since you now get double MVP, double money, and a full point score despite a concession win.

That aside, thank you for running the league. :)

11. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    A very see-saw game against Netsmurf saw me win 1-0.

I thought he'd won it twice, but a failed GFI into the EZ saw one attempt fail, then some :bothdown::bothdown: with no RRs saw the next attempt fail I think.
    We then had a pretty perfect turn straight after and removed 2 or 3 players and saw the ball warp very near one of my gutter runners.
    Next turn we made 3 dodges through a tree's TZs and scored.

Thanks for the game Netsmurf, we may still meet again. :D

12. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    My game with @TravelScrabble was cut-short as he had to go and deal with a RL situation.
    He's happy for me to progress to the final though, it was looking very promising for me when his last turn was cut short. As it turned out we were able to handoff the ball and score the next turn anyway, 1-0.

It was an action-packed match though, played on Doom.
    T1 saw TS lose lvl 2 GR who was killed by the chest explosion.
    On my T1 we found the ball, picked it up but then ran out of time before we could hand it off.
    TS's troll then blitzed him down, but another one of my nearby GRs caught the ball.
    After that both teams preceded to remove 3 of each others GRs by various means (fouling, chainsaws, blocking).
    I did lose the ball on one occasion but managed to get it back, and then survived my troll rolling :skull::skull::bothdown: by passing the loner roll and being able to RR it.
    TS also lost a couple of players in the teleport warp, and eventually we got more players towards his EZ with the ball in the hands of a blodge GR.
    Which was when RL intervened.

Thanks for the game TS, glad you resolved your emergency ok too. :)

13. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    As we had the lovest TV of them all, or something like that, we got to choose the map and went with Doom as it seemed to be a nice and open map to prevent some of the big brutes on TYS´s team to block it all up. The ball was in the last chest opend and it was opend by us and from then on we tried our very best to cage it to the endzone. TYS still managed to down the carrier with a 4+ dodge and a well timed blitz. Lucky for us the ball ended in 2 TZ and even though TYS did his best to swarm it, we had a chance to 1 die a dwarf or a bull away and then do a 3+ PU, 2+ Dodge to win it. Went with the 1 die on the dwarf to get tackle away from the ball. Used a reroll on precarious roll, could not remember those rolls at it is the first I fail this season. Got a push and then managed to PU the ball, rolled a 1 on the first dodge - phew tackle was away - and then made the score.

1 WD had to choose between -ST or -MA so there will only be 1 to worry about for Ging in the final.

14. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    The scene was set for the DuCTA III final, a record crowd of 5 snotlings had turned up for this epic encounter!!
    It was @Netsmurf's rainbow crew "Afraid of the Dark" vs my amethyst bunch "Subterranean Nasties".
    And it was over in 3 turns... o_O

Netsmurf had the lower TV and chose Doom for the dungeon. He got the first move, found the ball on T1 and picked it up with a line elf.
    T2 he was able to hand it off to his lone WD.
    We put a little pressure on by marking up with the troll and a stormvermin, and tried to make the route to the EZ somewhat 'busy' with my few team members who were in the dungeon.
    T3 the WD successfully made the leap, used Dodge on the 3+ dodge, blitzed the looney away with a :pushback:, failed the 2+ dodge, but successfully RR'd it and made it into the EZ to win it.

:pow::powdodge::pow:Congratulations Netsmurf! :pow::powdodge::pow:
    Twice a winner of the DuCTA!! :)

Must admit I'm a bit gutted.
    My first final (apart from the Crunched Cup) and it only lasts 3 turns, but I suppose that's DungeonBowl.
    I've had my share of luck during the competition, although I'm not sure I'll get a better chance to win a BB-related competition than this.

Ah well, it was fun playing the amethyst college, its been a long time since I had fun with the goblin secret weapons. :D

15. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Only 1 WD you say - aye and why not:D We had the lowest TV and chose DOOM as we have had succes on that map before and this time was no exception. It proved to be over before it began. I started and warped a line elf in , landed next to a chest and it had the ball in it:eek: Next turn I moved forward and handed the ball to the WD and set up so Ging could only reach it with dodge magic if he wanted. Instead he blitzed the front lineelf and tried to block the path to the endzone. The WD thought a bit about it and went for a leap and 3+ dodge to blitz the looney for a push and then a 2+ dodge to run it in. Used dodge reroll on the 3+ and a team reroll on the 2+ dodge. So won it in 3 turns and before the game was on. Happy as I am with the result I cant help but feel sorry for Ging as there was very little to do about the result. I was so lucky:D

16. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    War dancers are op in dungeonbowl! Gears Net my pick to win it all when the playoffs were set. Commiserations Going, just organize another db tourney and go rainbow this time ;)

17. tys123

tys123 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Yes wardancers are good but finding the ball in the 1st chest you open is better.
    Congrats to smurf on winning the title again.

I am going to be away until mid March so if you want to carry on with these teams before then someone else will have to take over running this.

In not then when I get back I will see who is interested in DuCTA 4.

18. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    I'd be interested, I think. March sounds about right for me.

Grats, @Netsmurf !!!

19. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for getting DuCTA III in motion @tys123 .
    I'll probably be up for another DuCTA at some point in the new year. We'll let @Netsmurf enjoy sitting on his throne for a couple of months first though. :)

20. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    I just noticed that @Ging did not get a trophy for the runner up title. @Netsmurf already had one, so the second is not awarded, am I right?
    Just counting the chicks here...