Norse The Fnords

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
rgYaZeb.jpg

http://www.mordrek.com/BB2Stats/tea...W45RAFUQFEZLHOVWGC4RAKNSWC43PNYQDC&tid=772501

After 4 weeks, my amazing Ulfwerener, Nkrumah Fubar, has now reached Level 3 and I'm wondering whether it is more prudent to go with Mighty Blow or Guard for him.

Upcoming matches:
Week 5: Dwarves
Week 6: Skaven
Week 7: Lizardmen
Weeks 8 and 9: Orcs

Given the amount of strength I will be facing in upcoming weeks, I'm leaning toward Guard. Then again I love Guard and I hate not having it, period. I'm also looking at Guard for the next skill on Eric the Red Blowhard, since he rolled doubles for his first skill and took Dodge, so he will hopefully stay on his feet more to provide the assist. Stand Firm would be next for him.

Am I Guard-happy? Should I be prioritizing MB instead for Nkrumah and Eric?

Thus far I have Mighty Blow on only one Berserker and he will definitely be getting Piling On next. The other Ulfwerener would also pick up Mighty Blow next for sure if Nkrumah gets Guard.

The -MA lineman got MVP in the last game. I was keeping him around to have a substitute because AV7. I didn't really want to level him up but the MVP is fickle. So I gave him Kick, because I like to have it and mobility isn't as big a deal for the kicker. I gave the other lineman to level up Dirty Player. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to keep the -MA kicker or fire him and make a new kicker the next time I get a lineman who levels up without rolling doubles. That scenario aside, any lineman who levels up without doubles is probably getting replaced.

I also came up 20k short of getting a Yhetee. While I'm not a Big Guy fan in general, Claw seems like something that would come in very handy for most of my upcoming matches. I really wanted it for the Dwarves next week. Is it worth it or should I snag another Runner for more Dauntless blodging?

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
I am a Guard fan boy so I would go Guard. All that frenzy against Dwarves without any Guard is a risk. However it also depends on your long term plans for your team. If you are still trying to win your matches then Guard will help more. However if you are more concerned with development (like you can't get promoted) then MB will get you more SPPs for that player.

A yeti is a long term investment. They need MB before they actually do enough damage to armour teams to be worthwhile.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Guard might also keep the rest of your team more alive and earning SPP faster, even if that wolf levels slower than with MB.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I'd go for MB on the Zerker. I think both of them want MBPO as soon as possible.
However there is nothing wrong with guard on the ST4 guys especially with 3 ST4 teams coming up.

I would also get the yhetee. Norse are one of the few teams where the big guy is important.
I would also keep the kicker ( though I would have given him fend and stuck him on the line ) .You don't have the cash yet to replace him as you are saving up for the yhetee. Replace him once you have the yhette , both runners and are over the bank threshold.

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
Thanks everyone for your advice, I did go with Guard. I got 12 turns into the match against the Dwarves last night before my opponent disconnected. The match is being re-set and we're going to try again tomorrow morning. Any advice for facing Dwarves as Norse? It seems to be one of the more skewed matchups (in favor of Norse) based on the numbers here:

http://www.mordrek.com/BB2Stats/racestats.html

I did ok in the first half. Kicked off to him and scored, though his first action on Turn 1 was a failed pickup attempt which let me get a lot of pressure in the backfield which he never recovered from. Turn 7, I kicked off to him again after scoring and almost immediately lost 4 guys to KO. They didn't get back up for the 2nd half and I started my drive with 7 players. I had just turned over the ball with little hope of getting it back and stopping him from scoring on Turn 12 when he disconnected.

I don't feel like I can really play a hitting game against him. The first half went ok as I was able to outnumber him locally where it mattered and keep some of his more important pieces on the pitch and out of the way, but in the long term the armor difference started to show and I ended up with more guys off the field. My advantage seems to be in agility/speed, but I wouldn't exactly say those are my team's strengths. I feel comfortable trying to play a screen defense if I need to (assuming I don't get lucky enough to rush the backfield like last time), but I'm not really sure how to approach offense.

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
Nkrumah Fubar has rolled a 5+5 going in to level 4. I'm weighing my options to add to the Block and Guard he already has. The team currently looks like this:

2 Berserker (MB/PO/-1MV, Dodge/MB)
2 Ulfwerener (Block/Guard, Block)
2 Runner (1 with Dodge)
1 Lineman with Guard
1 Lineman with Kick
1 Lineman with Dirty Player
2 Linemen with no skills
3 Rerolls
$50k cash

I'm tempted by Dodge or Side Step for him, as both will help keep him upright or where I want him providing Guard. I don't particularly care for the MV or AV. It also seems like it might be best to just ignore the doubles entirely and take MB on him. I'm also looking ahead at the playoffs and the probability of facing a team or two with lots of Dodge. I desperately want some Tackle on the team, but he doesn't seem like the right piece for it, especially at this stage of his development. He's also more likely to be in a scrum providing Guard than chasing down any loose ball carriers. A lucky MVP roll for my Dodge/MB Berserker (26/31 SPP) in the bye week would let him take it, and I'd rather put it there even though it would mean putting off PO on him.

The cash will almost certainly go to replacing another dead Lineman to keep me at 12 players. I don't see myself getting enough winnings to let me replace the Yhetee who killed himself in his 2nd game.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I wouldn't bother with sidestep. Stand Firm is just as good and he can get that on a normal roll.
Dodge is useful for keeping him upright and if you get break tackle later he becomes a very good mobile guard.
Just not sure if it is better than a more standard role of MB then SF or tackle.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
I like move for the extra range when blitzing a surf. Jump up is also good for extended range (and even if it is a 3+ to block from the ground it might be worth it sometimes). It is also good for your future MBPO ;)

But with guard, yes dodge and then break tackle and stand firm can be good.

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
I like move for the extra range when blitzing a surf. Jump up is also good for extended range (and even if it is a 3+ to block from the ground it might be worth it sometimes). It is also good for your future MBPO ;)

But with guard, yes dodge and then break tackle and stand firm can be good.

I'm going to hold off and see what the bye week gets me, but you do make a good case for Jump Up. Or rather, Jump Up makes a good case for itself, and thank you for reminding me to consider it. I have fallen in love with the skill since I started playing this team. It is still planning for failure in a sense, though (outside of PO), as it's only useful when you're on the ground and I don't necessarily want that to be the case. In that sense, I like Dodge for just not being on the ground in the first place. At least I have another week to mull it over!

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
Hello once again everyone! The Fnords are back in the swing for Season 2 of the Bloodweiser Homicide Invitational. After winning it all at the end of the first season, they suffered a literal "cup hangover" and stumbled out of the gate in their first game of Season 2. Game 2 saw them returning to form with a win, on the back of a tremendous game by Fission Chips (1 TD, 2 CAS). He finally got over the hump to level 4 and rolled a double, so it's time for a decision once again.

Currently, he has MB, PO, and -1 Movement

The team around him looks like:
1 Berserker with MB, Dodge, Tackle
1 Ulfwerener with Block, Dodge, Guard
1 Ulfwerener with Block
1 Runner with Dodge, Guard
1 rookie Runner
1 rookie Yhetee
2 Linemen with Guard (one with -1 Movement)
1 Lineman with Kick and -1 Movement [seems to be a trend here]
1 Lineman with Dirty Player and Fend

I like dodge for survival and mobility, especially given his reduced movement, and I believe it's better the more you have. Nothing else immediately leaps to mind for a double. Forsaking the double, I obviously want all the Guard I can get, and he will get it at some point, but I find it less valuable on a PO piece. Tackle isn't at as high of a premium this season, just some Ghouls and Skaven.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, and I'm willing to entertain some outside-the-box suggestions for him!