Hello, and welcome to Elf Take! The show that puts you in the shoes of coaches involved in real-game scenarios! Calling all dwarf coaches! Today, we’re looking at high TV dwarf vs. chaos action. As you vets know, Chaos teams at high TV become sharpened can openers that make other bash teams look like they’re suited in tissue paper.
Here’s the scenario…
Blood, Sweat, and Beers (Dwarf) vs. Terrors of Tarantino (Chaos)
We’re back at the Old World Football League and you’re up against the aptly named Terrors of Tarantino, an unapologetic team most responsible for coaches quitting! You didn’t have a great week before and are coming into this game missing a deathroller and a troll slayer, plus you just watched the Terrors of Tarantino and the Phoenix Kings battle in an epic match drenched in the blood of elves.
Your game plan is simple, you want to snipe away at the Chaos team as quickly as possible before their Mighty Blow, Piling On, and Claw players start accruing the casualties on your team. For this you hired star players Flint Churnblade (Loner, Block, Chainsaw, Secret Weapon, Thick Skull) and Boomer Eziasson (Loner, Accurate, Block, Bombardier, Secret Weapon, Thick Skull) to eliminate some of his CPOMBERS (players with Claw, Piling On, and Mighty Blow).
Your first 2 turns have been great! You were able to badly hurt a rookie beastman and you knocked out a STR+ Chaos Warrior. Gym-bo has turned up the pressure by marking your ball carrier and he has also injured your Troll Slayer.
You need to deal some damage quickly. You can feel Gym-bo’s iron fist closing and you need to make something happen so you can successfully stall the half, score, and hopefully injure as many Chaos players as possible. Gym-bo has left a vulnerable Chaos Warrior begging to be pushed off the pitch. What’s the best way to proceed? Do you advance to the right? Do you move your ball carrier to the center of the field? Do you reform your cage in the vicinity of the ball carrier, but focus on crowd surfing the Chaos Warrior?
I was sitting two feet from my big screen eating my popcorn. This moment was the turning point in the game. The dwarf coach did not capitalize on Gym-bo’s mistake and for the next 5 turns, Gym-bo shredded away eventually scoring… leaving the living room floor littered with popcorn and my neighbors shocked by the profanity laden shouting.
What would you have done?
- Form a screen or cage around the ball carrier so he cannot be directly blitzed without multiple high risk rolls.
- Minimize the amount of blocks the Terrors will have the following turn.
- Extra Credit: Crowd surf Chaos Warrior #4 (Mighty Blow, Claw, Block, Tackle)
- You have 1 team reroll.
- All 2+ rolls succeed but should be minimized. Using 3 2+ rolls in your solution requires the use of a reroll. Any 2+ roll after that will fail and lead to a turnover.
- All 3+, 4+, 5+ rolls will fail regardless of reroll (note that you have a loner).
- Chainsaw will not break armor when blocking, but it will not fail either. Still include it in your solution either as a block / foul. The 2+ roll still counts towards the 3 2+ rule specified above.
- Any 3D blocks are defender down.
- All 2D blocks are pushes, but you can use your team reroll to make it defender down. (Meaning you only get one)
- 1D blocks are skull but you can use your team reroll to make it both down. (Meaning you only get one, but this should be avoided).
- -2D and -3D blocks are skulls regardless of rerolls.
Blood, Sweat, and Beers (Dwarf)
|1||Blocker||4||3||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle, Loner|
|2||Blocker||4||3||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle|
|3 (Reserves)||Blocker||4||3||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle, Loner|
|4||Blitzer||5||3||3||9||Thick Skull, Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Tackle|
|5||Blitzer||5||3||3||8||Thick Skull, Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Strip Ball|
|6 (Prone)||Blocker||4||3||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle, Guard, Mighty Blow, Dauntless|
|7||Blocker||4||3||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle, Loner|
|8||Runner||6||3||3||8||Sure Hands, Thick Skull|
|9||Blocker||4||3||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle, Guard, Kick|
|10||Starplayer||5||3||2||8||Loner, Block, Chainsaw, Secret Weapon, Thick Skull|
|11 (Reserves)||Starplayer||4||3||2||9||Loner, Accurate, Block, Bombardier, Secret Weapon, Thick Skull|
|12 (Badly Hurt)||TrollSlayer||5||3||2||8||Block Thick Skull, Dauntless, Frenzy, Strip Ball, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Pro|
|13||Blocker||4||4||2||9||Block, Thick Skull, Tackle, STR+, Mighty Blow, Guard, Stand Firm, Break Tackle|
Terrors of Tarantino (Chaos)
|1||Minotaur||5||6||2||8||Thick Skull, Mighty Blow, Tentacles, Claw, Stand Firm, Horns, Frenzy, STR+, Break Tackle|
|2 (KO'd)||Chaos Warrior||5||5||3||9||Block, Mighty Blow, STR+, Extra Arms|
|4||Chaos Warrior||5||4||3||9||Mighty Blow, Block, Claw|
|5||Chaos Warrior||4||4||3||9||Mighty Blow, Block, Piling On, Claw, Tackle|
|6||Chaos Warrior||5||5||3||9||STR+, Guard, Block, Tentacles|
|8 (Badly Hurt)||Beastman||6||3||3||8||Horns|
|9||Beastman||5||3||3||7||Horns, Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Claw|
|15||Beastman||6||3||4||8||AGI+, Block, Strong Arm|
First let me justify the rules, please just understand that the vast number of permutations of this problem will make it VERY DIFFICULT to compare and contrast between the various scenarios. There are just too many what if’s. Out of all the 2D blocks you make 55% will end up as a defender down or defender stumbles. The rules I setup actually make it more difficult on you, but I would like to set it up as the typical “Nuffle hates you” type of game. (That’s why your chainsaw will fail. :))
That being said, this is what I would do.
- Stand up Dwarf #6. He has guard so he will aid in blocks.
- Move Dwarf #5 to (M,-3)
- Move Dwarf #2 to (L, -3)
- Dwarf #1 moves to (J, -2) to mark the Chaos Warrior #5
- Okay, now for a Cyanide Blood Bowl Legendary / Chaos Edition Tip! Our next move we’re going to chain push our men to get a better position. Dwarf #13, however, has Stand Firm. If you push a player into him, the Stand Firm skill will activate and no player will move. You have to turn this skill “off” before doing the chain push action. Left click Dwarf #13. On the bottom right you should see a window with a list of his skills. Click on the window and a new window will pop up. From this window you can check / uncheck the skills you want activated for the next player’s turn. Uncheck Stand Firm. Proceed with the next step.
- Now’s the fun stuff. Blitz Chaos Warrior #5 with Dwarf #4 from (J, -1) and follow up. (Using the rules I specified I would very much hope that this is a knock down. The solution still works without it, but I definitely would like this Choas Warrior on the ground. So based on the rules I setup, I would “use the reroll” here. Please note that in a real game, I would only use the reroll in case of a failure.) Push Chaos Warrior #5 into your ball carrier #8 at (L, -2). Push the ball carrier into your STR 4 dwarf #13. Push Dwarf #13 to (N, -1).
- Use Dwarf #8 to block Chaos Warrior #4 to (O, -1). Follow up.
- Use Dwarf #13 to block Chaos Warrior #4 off the pitch! Don’t follow up.
- Use Dwarf #7 to block Beastman #15, don’t follow up.
- Use Dwarf #10 to chainsaw Beastman #7. Hope it does some damage!
We have gotten rid of one of the killers. Now we only have a killer chaos warrior, killer beastman, and a killer minotaur left. Hopefully the killer chaos warrior is on the ground (so he has to blitz if he wants to attack, and if he’s still up, he’s surrounded by guard). This leaves only 1 block from the claw player, which is his blitz.
If Beastman #15 is still up (per the rules, he still is) he has to make 2 3+ dodges as well as 2 gfi’s to attack your ball carrier. However, if he does this, he puts himself in danger of being surfed to the crowd. If the Chaos coach is crazy enough to blitz in this manner, he also negates a blitz by one of his CPOMBers. This is always desired. 🙂
And there you go, one solution to beat claw…. minimize his CPOMBers to 1 hit a turn and continue to target them through blitzes and fouls!
Here is an interesting solution from one of our viewers. Rather than go for the crowd surf, Tad30s has decided to concentrate the brunt of his force against the Chaos Warrior #5 and the Beastman #15. His reasoning is to pin Chaos Warrior #4 to the sideline causing stress for the opponent and forcing him to save the player. Although I wouldn’t necessarily do this myself, it is still a very valid defense.
Here is Tad30s solution and a screenshot of final positioning.
I hope that it’s not too late for ideas on how to tackle this, as I’ve just started reading those challenges, and this one doesn’t have the answer I’d give. First of all, i will not Surf C4 in the following attempt, i will focus on everything else, and-hopefully-dictate the events of the next turn. Please note, that the sheer amount of coordinates makes it very likely that a typo has occurred somewhere, or that i simply made a silly mistake.
Here goes :
#1. D1 to J-2
#2. D6 Blitz C5, 2+ on Dauntless (1/2), Use Reroll to get Defender Down. Push W5 to J-1. Follow.
#3. D5 to N-3, GFI 2+ (2/2).
#4. D2 to K-2
#5. D7 Blocks C15. Push the Carrier to M-3, Follow.
#6. D8 Blocks C15, 3d. Push D7 back to M1. Don’t follow up.
#7. D13 Blocks C4, Push to O-3, Follow.
#8. D4 to N-1, so that D13 cannot be blitzed off of the Cwarrior5 who WILL get pushed unless a miracle happens / half of his team committs / 1d block succeeds.
#9. Chainsaw C5. Hope for the best.
The end result is two enemies down, Chaos Warrior #5 chainsawed, and Chaos Warrior #4 in a world of pain with no way out. That’s what i’d go for.. I don’t see the advantages of surfing C4, if we can force Gymmy-Boy to try to save him instead.
What do you think of this solution? Would you take the surf?