Cyanide BBTactics in the OCC Season 22

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Got a skillup on my other level 3 blitzer and decided to stick with the mold, given I lost a tackle lino. I now have 3 blitzers with blodge/ss/tackle and one with blodge/tackle/guard, in addition to a wrackle witch and my killer st4 witch. Should hopefully be enough for facing Viajero this week. He's only fielding 11 players (two loners) but he has 3(!) agi5 players, including both wardancers. Ugh.

To replace the dead lino I picked up a second runner, putting me at 12 players for this game. My main one is MNG and I need more speed on the team, as well as a way to combat strip ball. I do need another lino but I'll wait until next week as I don't want to give Viajero a wizard.

Lol, no worries. Even if you hire a 2nd piece I wont probably take a wizard ;)

Either way it can be a fun game as long as my armor holds reasonably average.

With your 700K plus treasury what we really need is the frikking Bank Rules implemented now! :D

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
With your 700K plus treasury what we really need is the frikking Bank Rules implemented now! :D

What we really need is to introduce communism and "nationalize" his bank "for the people". No need to keep communism going after that :) . Seriously - my Necro team is nearing bankruptcy - I am jealous!

Barristan

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Playing undefeated Lizards in MD4, and well... here is a picture to sum it up:

mAZopRk.jpg

Only 1-0 as he fought tooth and nail and I couldn't manage to get his Krox down T8 to free an assist (with 6 dice I think). So I needed a 2+ dodge that I failed (out of RRS T2 after two :skull::skull:). Second half I nearly failed to score T16 as a greed blitz came up :skull::skull: RR :skull::powdodge:. Scary.

Funnily enough the worse he got out of that pile of bodies is two MNGs... these Orcs are kind-hearted.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Holy crap, I had just realized my next opponent for MD5 has a full 16 roster Chaos team at a whooping 2800 TV (assuming no MNG after his next game), with tons of Tackle, Guard, Claw and MB, lol. Amazingly enough not a single Piling On o_O

ImageRoster.aspx

My Artists will be at around 1800 so I ll have around 900 or so in inducements :p

Babes: 100
Wizard: 150 (he s got a niggled ST4 ball carrier which seems perfect for the lighting bolt)
Eldril: 200
Jordel: 260 (or Zara instead for 270, given that I have 2 AG5 WD... What you reckon?) Zara is AG3 so she will get stuck to those MB/Tackle/Claws more often...

For 710-720

So I have around 200 extra to decide on... 2 extra apos? Mercenary lino with Dirty player? (no bribe though), one extra apo and one mercenary?

Any suggestions welcome

Last edited:

kingghidra

Rookie
Country Flag
My God, that is ridiculous - in so many ways!

if he's at 2800 and you're at 1800 you'll have 1k though, not 900, hmm?

Jordell and the 2 apo's sounds like a good option - but assuming the tv's are as you say then you could go for morg and 1 apo. morg seems a viable option to tie up several of his players at a time - and i only actually count 2 claws on his team so that av10 should see its value

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
When you have a TV like that you need to buy players whenever you have the cash otherwise when 1 dies you can't replace him.

At least that is the only reason I can come up with for 16 players.

I would go for the apoths , jordel , edril , wizard and babes

Everblue

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Agreed re Jordell. Apart from anything else he'll eat a few blitzes and if you can get 2 goals ahead you can stick him on the LOS...

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My God, that is ridiculous - in so many ways!

if he's at 2800 and you're at 1800 you'll have 1k though, not 900, hmm?

Jordell and the 2 apo's sounds like a good option - but assuming the tv's are as you say then you could go for morg and 1 apo. morg seems a viable option to tie up several of his players at a time - and i only actually count 2 claws on his team so that av10 should see its value

Im asuming 900 due to any possible MNG he may have in his MD4. If he has more than 1 it could be less of TV difference even. Bit somewhere between 800-1000 is where the number will likely be.

Im not so keen on Morg tbh... So much ST4/Horns that setting a 2D block gainst him should be relatively easy for Jimxxx... Just 2 claws yes but only 1 is enough... He just needs 3 assist for a ST3 Horns blitz and he s got more than enough Guard around.

Having said that and on the other hand he has 8 pieces with ST4+, so... Morg and the Tree working in combo can give me some breathing space for sure... hmmm.

What about an extra reroll though? Might help vs all the tackle.

Very good point indeed, yes. Or go the extra mile for a Chef? :)

Last edited:

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
Chef could hurt him. Jim actually beat me last season. Well we tied. Somehow. Oh, I took the Count. A very good player at low TV but with 4 thralls on the pitch (not for long!) it was a fiasco.

There are a lot of extra arms and AG on that team so he will get elfy on you but won't do a lot of damage. Though I watched his game last week or the week before and it was a killing spree.

What does a CW cost? 100K? 4 skills and ag on the MNG = 120+100+2660 = 2880. I think he is trying to hit 3000 :)

kingghidra

Rookie
Country Flag
Im not so keen on Morg tbh... So much ST4/Horns that setting a 2D block gainst him should be relatively easy for Jimxxx... Just 2 claws yes but only 1 is enough...

ST4 with horns still needs 2 assists to 2d morg - so that's 3 players just to make the block. None of his claw players have ST4, so the claws need 3 assists to 2d morg - 4 players!

It's a huge investment i know, but i think the case is there. Jordell@AV7 is far more easily dispatched by one of those mb/tackle beasts, that's for sure.

You have a blockless tree that has exactly the same problem as morg would, and I'm assuming you'll put him on the pitch to do a similar job

Anyway I've made my arguments and will retreat back under my official Morg'n'Thorg duvet now :)

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
ST4 with horns still needs 2 assists to 2d morg - so that's 3 players just to make the block. None of his claw players have ST4, so the claws need 3 assists to 2d morg - 4 players!

It's a huge investment i know, but i think the case is there. Jordell@AV7 is far more easily dispatched by one of those mb/tackle beasts, that's for sure.

You have a blockless tree that has exactly the same problem as morg would, and I'm assuming you'll put him on the pitch to do a similar job

Anyway I've made my arguments and will retreat back under my official Morg'n'Thorg duvet now :)

Lol, no, no, I fully see your point. I am actually reconsidering Morg thanks to you!

I guess it´s going to come down to actual final inducement numbers, and how much spare I ll have. Jordell + 2 apos is 460. Morg and a single apo is 530. 70K up or down may make the difference.

Squall

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
1-0 win for the Tide over some mass mb sf guard orcs two with +str :D... they didn't manage to get the ball out of their half :)

Everblue

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My underworld team finally got a point on the board with a 2-2 draw against Wismerhill's undead in 6B.

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Lol, no, no, I fully see your point. I am actually reconsidering Morg thanks to you!

I guess it´s going to come down to actual final inducement numbers, and how much spare I ll have. Jordell + 2 apos is 460. Morg and a single apo is 530. 70K up or down may make the difference.

I've played Jimxxx, and would have had a good shot at a win had it not started raining (which caused me to fail 5 pickup attempts in a row...). Then I watched him play cookie after I reduced cookie to 8 active players the week before... And cookie won 4-0. Common thread in both games? Jimxxx plays his chaos like they are elves - he rushes beastmen into scoring range, and uses his Str 4/ Agi 4 beastman to throw passes. So don't be surprised if he scores on turn 2... Also be ready to recover the ball on a turnover and run away (wood elves are exceptionally good at that, so I don't need to say more :) ).

On inducements... I would recommend having at LEAST 14 players available. Probably 15. Loner linos are only 100K, and seeing that you have a million, you could easily afford 2 or 3 of them - they make great LoS fodder, and if they die - why, you don't even need to use an apo on one.

I would say wizard, 2 babes, 1 apo = 350K, then 2 loners = 200K, leaving you about 400K for the third apo, star player, and whatever else you fancy.

I took a bribe against him, but found that it was hard to foul effectively - I needed all available players to hold the line or provide assists against his STR-boosted freaks (he has 4 CWs, 3 beastmen with STR+, and a break tackle super-star minotaur - all players with STR 4+, and all relatively mobile).

I would not even consider the chef. Jimxxx has 3 RR, his entire team has Block, and he employs 3 or 4 Cheerleaders/Ass coaches, so every time the kickoff roll comes up a 6 or an 8, he's getting a free RR. You can expect the chef to steal 2 from him (on a good day), but he's very unlikely to fail a pickup (Agi4/extra arms/sure hands) or a block (1/36 chance of snake-eyes), and he'll still have at least 1 left. What he is likely to fail is his passing stuff, but I think you'll be better served with 3 loners to provide warm bodies than with depriving him of on average 3 RR over the course of the game. The Loners are guaranteed to be there, and they are guaranteed to take a hit. The chef might do nothing at all, and even if he performs above average (4 steals), it still won't cripple Jim's essential capabilities, imo.

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
My underworld team finally got a point on the board with a 2-2 draw against Wismerhill's undead in 6B.

nice one. I've those dwarves tomorrow night, I'm thinking about just fouling my unniggled dancer off the pitch to save her. ;)

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
MD 4 pitted me against another familiar face - Da Basher and his Khorne team (Epik Kaos). I played them last season, in a game that iirc was a 2-0 win for the wolves, at a time before rampant player death ravaged my team. Basher also suffered some attrition - Barristan killed his super-star thirster with a well placed boot, and last week saw the demise of an Agi 5 ball handling cultist. As a result, for the first time this season, i was up against a team that was of a similar TV - in fact, I only had 10K inducements (aka even match).

Since there was no decision to be made about inducements (there weren't gonna be any), on my way home I was pondering whether it would be better to kick or receive. Turns out that was a moot debate too, because I lost the coin toss, and Basher chose to receive. The kick landed very deep, and turn 1 saw a failed pickup, which tempted me into stretching my defense and applying pressure. What followed was a series of "I blitz you, you blitz me", with the same scenario playing itself out 4 times in a row. I knocked the ball carrier down 4 times. Khorne recovered the ball 4 times in a row. The last time was near my endzone, and so they scored on turn 6/5 - 0-1.

There were no injuries during the first drive, but I KOed two Khorne players, and they KOed a zombie. My zombie woke up, their players did not, so I lined up 11 on 10, having 3 turns and 3 RRs to work with. Remarkably, I DIDN'T fail pickup this time, and the extra turn allowed me to feint left, while leaving a ghoul in position to go up the right side. Basher responded by crashing my position with his Thirster, and my options were a dodge with Hides in Bushes (he has Agi3 / Dodge), followed by a 2d frenzy blitz into the thirster with a -2d followup on a push; or a dodge by the ball-carrying wolf followed by a handoff to the ghoul (no relevant skills, but a team RR in hand). Since I had a team RR available, I decided to forgo the possibility of a -2d followup and went with the 3-3 dodge-handoff. The handoff needed to be RRed, but it worked, which allowed the wrestle ghoul to break away up the right side, and I was able to walk in the equalizer on turn 8/8 without the need to make any further rolls - 1-1.

During my first drive, a cultist got KOed, but he promptly woke up for the second half. The herald and the daemon, on the other hand, stayed sleeping, so it was 11 on 10 to open the second half. My opening blocks didn't go all that well, but I got the ball and KOed a cultist by piling on with Hides in Bushes. On his turn 9, Basher responded by predictably fouling my wolf with 2 assists - armor break, BH, regen, ejection. SIGH. I know, I know, but does it have to work EVERY TIME? Anyway, aside from the annoying patter of every goddamn foul against my wolf striking gold, the ejection made it almost a wash (slight advantage Basher, as my best blitzer was gone for the whole half). I started slowly pushing upfiled, but couldn't really make good headway. A few turns later the Thirster ended up next to my MB flesh golem, who was miraculously not prone - the resulting 1d block fractured the Thirster's wrist. The apo offered to fracture his skull instead (helpful), but the incompetence was masked by a passed regen roll. Some more useless shoving followed, until on turn 15/15 Basher blitzed Snaps at Fleas (my level 2 wolf)... and MNGed him. No regen this time. My scoring play on turn 16 was a bit meh - needed a 1d block to not skull, and then needed 2 GFI to score, with a RR available. All 3 rolls were adequate (push on the block, both GFI worked), and I went up 2-1 on turn 16/15.

One might think this would be the end of it, but no. Because it's this kind of a season, Riot gets rolled, and now it's turn 15/15, with Basher in possession of a team RR and free reign to set up in my half as he pleases - I aligned 3 rookie zombies on the LoS, and everyone else in the "line" formation next to the endzone - I even left Hides in Bushes on the bench just in case a Rock gets thrown. Anyway, Basher sets up, I blitz one of the receivers down, sandwich the others, and put a ghoul to face mark the daemon with the ball. Basher throws all his blocks, which all work, clears the ghoul away, then Dodges one of the sandwiched receivers, needing 4-3-2-2 to make the endzone - he does, albeit it costs him the RR. Then comes the 5-3 pass for the draw - accurate pass... catch failed, GG.

Saved by the catch, so to speak.

My first win in 7 weeks of OCC play. Overall, can't complain about anything, really - the wolf MNG sucks, but it could be worse. And it's not the superstar wolf. And I rolled 80K winnings (-10K spiraling), so I get to bank a nice 70K into my severely depleted treasury. Most importantly, it's 3 points in the standings, breathing life into what was looking like a very dead season. Super Flea's Toot and Come In (passing Khemri team) next week.

Last edited:

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
On inducements... I would recommend having at LEAST 14 players available. Probably 15. Loner linos are only 100K, and seeing that you have a million, you could easily afford 2 or 3 of them - they make great LoS fodder, and if they die - why, you don't even need to use an apo on one.

Thanks Akri, food for thought indeed. 14-15 pieces hey?

Last edited:

notafunhater

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
notafunhater
Country Flag
Thanks Akri, food for thought indeed. 14-15 pieces hey?

I've got to be honest, I'm pretty glad I don't play Jim until the last MD. Hopefully someone else will beat him up a bit before he gets to me. Either way it won't be as rough as it could be otherwise given his lack of PO.

Viajero, gg this week. I kinda felt bad about stalling for 6 turns as it's kinda lame play, but I really didn't feel like I could stop you from scoring again with three 8mv 5agi players. Even tackle didn't help it felt like. I wasn't as positive about my ability to score again afterwards.

I'm a bit worried about facing Bill's Orcs this next week. He has a couple of killers that will most definitely be going after my witches. My only hope is that super flea can beat up on him some this week and lessen the threat.