Might Be Moving to Stockholm

UltiMATE

Star Player
Cyanide Username
UltiMATE
Country Flag
Hello Guys!

I am currently discussing with a manager about accepting a job in Stockholm. This is not 100% still, but I know that even renting a place can be horribly hard there. Actually this is his biggest concern currently about accepting me.

It will be at least a month before the final decision, but I would like to ask You guys for help in advance.

I want to ask people currently living there if You will help me look for a place if I get the job? I can promise a few beers at least and 10 foul free matches! :)

Thank You in advance!

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Wish I could help but I've never had to actually deal with the Stockholm housing market despite living there for a decade. Thing is most of those were as a child and then as a student in student housing.

Friends of mine have done alright but that involves calling in favors from family and friends and paying a debt in blood. Or you know, just buying something.

So all I can do is wish you luck its a beautiful city, not as dynamic as some but if you can solve the housing issue it offers a good quality of life.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
First question is "How long are you willing to commute every day" (and also - where would the job be)

Etheric has found someplace to live - he might know the tricks (beyond just buying something, like I've had to do)

UltiMATE

Star Player
Cyanide Username
UltiMATE
Country Flag
The workplace will be either in Kista or in the middle of Stockholm (the latter is more possible). I just need a room so I may start working and looking for a bigger place. I will take the wife and the cat later. We estimated 3 months max for them to join me.

Buying is not an option as I do not have the funds.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
I can't vouch for it, but it looked really nice from google :D

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Yes finding somewhere is hard.

probably the best is bostad direct Hyra lägenhet Stockholm, Göteborg & Malmö - Bostad Direkt that is in swedish though.

You can also post on blocket.se and say you are looking. The situation is bad, so people often pull something from there as it is simpler then dealing with the many applications you will get if you post an advert saying you have some where to rent.

Assuming it is a perminant contract and you like the place the best thing to do is get something temporary, then buy somewhere. The centre is very expensive, my place was 3.3m SEK for 70 square meters, but it is very central. It gets cheap fast as you go out. My previous place is about the same size and i sold it for 1.2M.

To buy somewhere you need 15%, and if you are not central and you get somewhere new (so the purchase price is lower), but the monthly fee to the BRF is higher it can be quite cheap. For 2 people and a cat some distance out then 1.2M is not undreasonable, which would leave you needing about 200,000 SEK which is about US$30,000 but if you don't have it you don't have it.

The rental market in stockholm is horrible for sure. Hopefully you will get a nice salary. I will PM you my email.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Assuming it is a perminant contract and you like the place the best thing to do is get something temporary, then buy somewhere. The centre is very expensive, my place was 3.3m SEK for 70 square meters, but it is very central. It gets cheap fast as you go out. My previous place is about the same size and i sold it for 1.2M.

I googled the exchange rate and nearly fell off my chair. Guess it's a lot like London life.

Back on topic - best of luck, let us know how it goes. :D