Wood Elf W.o.o.d.

notafunhater

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
notafunhater
Country Flag
I would prefer to face a Lizard team with Slibli and Morg. That only leaves room for 2 skinks on the pitch. Take them off and his only option for a ballcarrier is Morg, whom you can strip anyway.

Stay out of contact unless you have to, as all that strength only does so much when he only gets 1 blitz a turn.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
This is a sad one.

Elthanion, the long standing team's captain has broken his collarbone and as a result his strength is now 2.
Keep or fire?

Damn, he was missing just 6 points to be a superstar ...

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Probably fire.

Only times you don't fire a broken collarbone is:

Snotlings
or players that don't expect to block at all, and not be blocked much either. (I've started keeping wood elf catchers with -ST if they have another stat boost)
Dauntless players with loads of other skills, or possibly ones who started with ST 4 and have loads of other skills. (Or the occasional treeman on a welf team low on cash, or if you have very few games left to play and the player has very valuable skills)

So if you want to keep, get dauntless on superstar, but it's easier to just sack..

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
My last match was heavy on my team.

My most skilled WD died, my Guard/block lino got -AV and my (now superstar) catcher Valkard got his collar bone smashed.

I am inclined to fire both of them (AV6 guard is a walking knocked down, and ST1 catcher is blocked with 3 dice by anyone).

What would you do?

St Cloud

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
St. Cloud
Country Flag
Fire the catcher (i've never liked that pass block build ;)). Keep the lino...or fire both maybe.

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
You have a catcher with Guard so losing the lino is not the end of the world. Mobile Guard being more important to you then Treeman Guard so it might be worth keeping him. However it will depend on the number of players you can afford to protect. Would you be happy to put a thrower or catcher between him and a killer.

Lose the catcher he was bloat against rookie teams in the first place. He will probably survive against underworld but he will in all likelihood mean you don't get a wizard against the undead.

jounisii

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jounisii
Country Flag
Ok, Sil. I watched most of the 1st half halfheartedly and 1 thing I noticed... You fed your good WD to Boffa's tackle blitzer in K-O situation.

Unless you have to, keep them good playmakers safe during kick off. That's why we play half moon.

I know, I sound harsh, but that set up stopped my heart and Boffa was lucky enough to capitalize....

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Thanks for the advice. Also Boffa pointed that out.
You're not sounding too harsh I would say, just the right amount for a master speaking to a student.
I think I will do as both you and Boffa say.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yep exposing your best player to a kick off blitz was baffling to me. That passblock catcher will be useless for the rest of the season anyway (who else is gonna pass?) the guard is a pity but with -av he should go... you'll be fine tv trim vs mainly rookies not that big a deal imo and a new dancer should level quick smart.

Last edited:

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
My last match was heavy on my team.

My most skilled WD died, my Guard/block lino got -AV and my (now superstar) catcher Valkard got his collar bone smashed.

I am inclined to fire both of them (AV6 guard is a walking knocked down, and ST1 catcher is blocked with 3 dice by anyone).

What would you do?

-ST catchers get the sack (unless possibly if they got +MV or +AG, then they can be bench for suicidal oneturning attempts)

AV 6 Block Guard.. how many SPP away from dodge? I'm not entirely certain she needs to go, but then I'm the coach that kept a wrodge lino with AV 5 (she got there after I used the apo on turn 1 to save her from death when she was AV 6)

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Now that's fun: Valkard rolled a double five on his 5th skill, therefore he can have +MA.
I could keep him for the oneturning attempt: with sidestep and NoS he is a good candidate.
On the other side, he is a loooong way from his next skill, so AG5 or leap will be nowhere near in the next 50 or so matches, plus with all the sacking I'm gonna do I will not have a bech so he will have to actually PLAY.
Considered this, I am still inclined to sack him.

Elthanion will be sacked also.

As for Ell (the guard lino) he is still 10 points away from the dodge, so I'm for sacking him also.

Urgh, that would mean 4 less players in my 14 men roster, suddenly I have no bench anymore ...

On a more positive note my Tree got his 3rd skill, which is either +1AG or a St skill.
I wouldn't consider +AG on a tree (should I?), and am highly undecuided on what skill give to him.
Breack Tackle, Multiple Block and Jugg seem the only worthy skills for him.
Any advice?

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Breack Tackle, Multiple Block and Jugg seem the only worthy skills for him.
Any advice?

Jugg only works when you Blitz - how often do you blitz with the tree? Off the top of my head, I would imagine almost never, so I don't think that's a good option. Break Tackle or Multiple Block are both viable, though.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
How far away from 12 players are you?

On the tree.. drats, but with you low on cash I'd say break tackle for the surprise blitzes or relocations.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
After re-buying a new WD I will have 140k.
I would wait at least another 50k before getting to 12 people, to save 120k in case of another WD early demise.
That is assuming I will fire all three perma-ed men.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Wait and see who your next couple matches are against. No bench vs mass inducements usually means bribes/wiz/big bastards with mightyblow etc etc and players leaving the field can spiral fast, so might be worth spending up a bit on a bench depending which match ups you get and exactly what inducements you are giving up..

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Ok, so I've fired Elthanion and Valkard, Ell was MNG so I'll decide later, but I am inclined to keep him: block/guard is sooo useful ...

I just finished my match against UW which I all but threw away.

Though heavily down in numbers (5 out in the first 3 turns) I had retrieved the ball and was heading to score a defensive TD on turn 6, but fearing that FanofWalking could score in 2 turns I decided a tight stall with 4 men.
It was bold, and ... wrong.

I managed to keep the ball, but then failed the 3+ dodge to score and in the last remaining turn FanofWalking managed a long pass (or maybe a long bomb, dunno) to a free gobbo who brought it in, so instead of walking in the second half with a 1-0 lead I trailed 0-1.
Well, at least he had used teh wiz, so not all bad.

In the second half I knew I needed to score fast is I wanted to try to win, so I scored a quick 2-turns TD and then tried with all I could to get the ball for a defensive TD.

Things didn't go as expected though, and though I managed to inflict heavy casualties (2 dead ... and some other BH), I could not reach the ball carrier thanks to some failed 3+ dodges, so in the end FanofWalking managed to walk in the 2-1 on turn 16.

In my own turn 16 I couldn't find a way to attempt a 1ttd, as my SS catcher had decided to stay put after the initial KO, and it was over.

Weird thing happened in last turn as my thrower (which I positioned midfield to get the ball and pass it) disappeared from the screen and was nowhere to be seen during my turn.
Had I had a chance at 1ttd this would have been disastrous, but given my inability at producing a sensible plan that was only a minor nuisance.
Have you ever seen a bug like this?

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
seen that bug all the time, very annoying. Don't select any of your players before setting up...

You don't need sidestep to do a 1 turner mv 8 and sprint is more then enough to do it easily. Maybe have a few games of single player or hot seat and practice :p

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
could be done, I had 7 on the pitch.
with time to think and without the pressure of the match I can easily see the correct positioning and sequence, but at the time, with the clock ticking and tired from a day's work (plus the couple hours or so playing the match) I didn't have the mental lucidity to work up anything.

It wouldn't have been possible to carry out any plan though, without the thrower, so that opens up a question.

Suppose that in a similar scenario I manage to correctly plan all the pushes and set up the men to do it, but one critical piece disappears: would it be enough to call for a replay of the match?

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Up to you, don't think I would. Don't think I've had problem since I started being careful not to click on any opposition pieces during setup.