Blood Bowl II Screenshots + News

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
So far I have played 8 games in BB2 and won them all (one was a quit before the match started). On the NAF free ladder and I'm 285th this could be my greatest ever achievement.

Mephiston

Star Player
Country Flag
I just noticed that Cyanide has added a second "rulebook" to their forum. It is just below the LRB 6 rules. They are calling it "Blood Bowl 2 Rulebook". Link to the actual pdf.

Reading through it some of it is things we already know, but has now become "official" that it is a change made on purpose (90K Orc Blitzers, AV 8 Human Catchers, 130K Human Ogre's), and other things are compleatly new, and some also suggest future changes.

Sounds like there will be something added to Sponsors that might effect the game somehow... and sounds like Stadiums might eventually become optional... amongst other things.

The pdf states that Passing, Fouling, and Handing off, can be declared after the player has moved. Where as Blitz has to be declarfed befor you do anything else with the character. Not sure if that's different from the LRB6 rules though.

The Aging rule has been clarified (befor there where two versions from Cyanide floating around): 8 matches per year, at 14 years there is a 40% chance that the player retired, 15 years = 60% chance, and 16 years = 100%.

Then there is a bunch of stuff for a lot of skills. I have not compared what some of them says with what is said about those skills in the LRB6 rules... so I amnot exacly sure what might or might not have changed.

One thing I did note though is that a lot of the skills in the BB2 Rulebook say "The skill is mandatory". Not sure if that is the case with some/all of those skills when it comes to the LRB 6 rules... but if they are not mandatory in the LRB 6 rules, then it could pretty heavily impact how the skills are used in BB2 where they would be mandatory.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
The pdf states that Passing, Fouling, and Handing off, can be declared after the player has moved. Where as Blitz has to be declarfed befor you do anything else with the character. Not sure if that's different from the LRB6 rules though.
[...]
One thing I did note though is that a lot of the skills in the BB2 Rulebook say "The skill is mandatory". Not sure if that is the case with some/all of those skills when it comes to the LRB 6 rules... but if they are not mandatory in the LRB 6 rules, then it could pretty heavily impact how the skills are used in BB2 where they would be mandatory.

Every action has to be declared in LRB6 before you start performing it. And in their previous BB that applied to Fouling and Blitzing.

And IIRC only negative skills (loner, take root etc.) and frenzy are mandatory in LRB (and the negative skills by tradition - reading the raw you should be able to ignore f.ex. bonehead by deciding not to use it ;)

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
After a quick flick through it looks like they have made a bunch of skills mandatory. Probably for ease of programming/comprehension. This is not a complete list of skills so I assume any not on the list are as LRB6.

However their are some odd changes to a of admittedly not often used skills. I might have missed some as I was just scan reading it.

Juggs being mandatory reads that it cancels wrestle but if you choose Both Down it automatically turns to a push. To me this is the biggest change but I have to admit I have never actually used this combo but I want to.

Diving Catch seems to contradict itself.

"The player add +1 to any Catch roll from an accurate Pass targeted to his square. In addition,
the player Catch any Pass, kick off or crowd throw in, that would land in an empty square in
one of his tackle zones as if it had landed in his own square without leaving his current square.
If there are two or more players attempting to use this skill, neither can use it."

The skill is mandatory
If multiple players of the same team are available, one player is selected through
different test
(in this order)

Players who haven't moved yet
Players who have no tackle zone on them
Players with the best chance to catch the ball
Players with the highest agility
Randomly selected among the remaining players

The top half is from LRB6 with a couple of clarifications missing. However the 2nd half direct contradicts the first paragraph.

Sidestep is missing a clarification of what happens if there is no square to dodge too but that does not mean it has changed.

Mephiston

Star Player
Country Flag
Every action has to be declared in LRB6 before you start performing it. And in their previous BB that applied to Fouling and Blitzing.

And IIRC only negative skills (loner, take root etc.) and frenzy are mandatory in LRB (and the negative skills by tradition - reading the raw you should be able to ignore f.ex. bonehead by deciding not to use it ;)

*nods*

I have read the rules a few times, but some things never compleatly sticks in my mind... which is why I will read part off the rules every now and then for the things I become uncertain about. I have a rough idea of the rules... but the foundation of my BB rules knowledge does come from 3rd ed BB (or rather, more accuratly, the 3rd ed rules that my BB teacher taught me back in the day, which had loads and loads of house rules that I did not realize was house rules untill years later XD ), and as much as I try to eradicate the old 3rd ed rules by reading the LRB 6 rules everynow and then, the 3rd ed BB rules are just lodged in there to hard to be dugg out compleatly... XD Luckily it does for the most part work the same, or very simmilar at least.

Valcurdra

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Great stuff mephiston, ty for the link.

Interesting read, I am all for the changes and simplification of the rules. With juggs as the only exception.

The reality is that it is so rare you want to not use these skills it is pointless to slow the game down by giving the option.

Agreed that the juggs change is horrible since it effectively no longer counters wrestle.

Absolutely love the new prematch rules though.

It is interesting they are considering skilled mercs, I would like to see that come in.

St Cloud

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
St. Cloud
Country Flag

Interesting read, I am all for the changes and simplification of the rules. With juggs as the only exception.

The reality is that it is so rare you want to not use these skills it is pointless to slow the game down by giving the option.

Agreed that the juggs change is horrible since it effectively no longer counters wrestle.

Absolutely love the new prematch rules though.

It is interesting they are considering skilled mercs, I would like to see that come in.

Thats why the sensible thing is to give players the option to put the skills on "ask". One of the things very well done in BB1. You don't want to slow down your game or don't understand the tactical advantage you could gain...leave it on...otherwise set it to ask. This is all about options.

You want skilled mercs? Play BB1.

Last edited:

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag

I've been playing Skaven a lot lately, and not allowing pass to be optional is a big detriment for an AG3 thrower. There are plenty of times (especially if I have a team RR available) that an inaccurate pass is vastly superior to a fumble. If I have 3 or 4 gutters in my opponents backfield, but only a thrower back, I absolutely need the ball to be launched if I declare a pass action. I would much rather turn off pass and accept anything other than a fumble. If pass is mandatory it will automatically reroll an inaccurate pass and that can result in a fumble quite a bit of the time on a long pass. With AG4 passers it's not as frequently a big deal as they tend to only fumble on a 1, but an AG3 passer has a larger chance for the fumble.

If I get the ball near 4 gutters I like my chances next turn. On the other hand if the thrower fumbles the ball all alone in the backfield it's going to be a score for my opponent most of the time. So with pass not being optional you really need to play different and make sure you keep players back. The rule change has a rather large affect on the way I play skaven...

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
With AG4 passers it's not as frequently a
big deal as they tend to only fumble on a 1, but an AG3 passer has a larger chance for the fumble.
Just wanted to smack this misconception again.

AG affects when passes become accurate, nothing more.
Fumbles are only affected by modifiers - this means distance, sun and Accurate/Strong Arm.

AG3 has a larger chance for a scatter pass than AG4 (and AG 5+ can't scatter - it's either accurate or a fumble), but AG 1-6 all have same chances for fumble.

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
Not being able to use Wizard after the turn over had bitten me in my last game. With this option, you can't rely on the Wizard as on a safety net, when your actions have failed. I really hope they will fix that soon.

Ging

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ging
Country Flag
I see BB2 has 33% off on Steam for the next couple of days, until Friday 10am pacific time.
Not dived in yet myself, will probably continue to monitor the feedback. I expect it'll be reduced again at Christmas.

Tjorne

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
.marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
Country Flag
Reconnection to a match after a crash (PC only)

Now here's a feature that is a real advantage over BB1. If I hear some more nice things about it (and get to grips with the thought of reducing race choices by half...) I may buy it soon.

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
The game is actually perfectly playable. The UI takes a little bit of getting used to, 4 minute turns alleviate a lot of the problems I initially had when playing 2 minute turns. With Munch Cup (Crunch Cup equivalent) already up and running with 20 players, and a BB2 Big Crunch looking good for the not too distant future, I'd say go for it (just don't roll a 1!).

Another nice feature by the way is it shows the % chance for a lot of plays, I can work this out in my head but seeing it instantly displayed is very useful, particularly for dodges through multiple tackle zones.

Tjorne

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
.marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
Country Flag
Good point about the sale...

...got it. :skull:

Last edited:

Valcurdra

Super Star Player
Country Flag
BTW dlc cost is out as $7 per team.

Sounds like the next patch or 2 will be awesome.