Seeding Knockout Competitions

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
I have read that Cyanide has not given league managers the ability to adjust the schedule of knockout competitions. My league always used a seeded knockout competition as our "playoff" system for the top teams from our "regular" round robin season. The top team played the worst team making the playoffs (a 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 system in a 4 team playoff), etc. I can't see a way to do this in Blood Bowl 2 other than having a separate competition for every single match in the playoffs, which is ridiculous.

Is there any way to accomplish this type of setup? What have other league managers done to work around Cyanide's incompetence?

notorious noob

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Setting them up seperately like you mentioned is how most others have done it. The worst part is that in the WC cyanide did seed as they wanted. So clearly it is possible.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
Unbelievable. I really can't stand Cyanide. I wish GW would just pull the license from them already and give it to a competent developer.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
Do you have any experience using BB2Stats? If so, can I consolidate the results of all these 1 off competitions to get a true picture of overall playoff performance of teams, players, etc?

Kalick

Star Player
Cyanide Username
Kalick
Country Flag
Setting them up seperately like you mentioned is how most others have done it. The worst part is that in the WC cyanide did seed as they wanted. So clearly it is possible.

I don't think Cyanide seeded the WC. They let the program randomly seed how it normally does, and after that point it is deterministic as to who will play who.

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
Do you have any experience using BB2Stats? If so, can I consolidate the results of all these 1 off competitions to get a true picture of overall playoff performance of teams, players, etc?
Hi there,

As a man who administered WC playoff here I think I am the most qualified to complain about lack of admin tools in BB2. I ended up creating one on one competition to ensure that seeding is correct which we tracked in an Excel spreadsheet. Yes, this is 2016, I know. BB2 has worst admin tools than BB1 ever had and IIRC that was one of the promises they made to give all power to the admins when BB2 was announced.

We did not use BB2StatsGrabber for our PO part of the competition, because we had so many games we could not create them in one league in the first place. In case you don't know, and admin can only admin 4 leagues, which can have no more than 8 competitions. Again, why limit that? But if number of your games less than 8 or you will be creating and deleting the competitons when they are done, I imagine you can get all your games played in one league and than StatsGrabber should consolidate them nicely.

But if your PO is a Knock Off style, isn't it obvious who had more wins?

Anyway, good luck and let's hope that Cyanide will fix that one day.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
Hi there,

As a man who administered WC playoff here I think I am the most qualified to complain about lack of admin tools in BB2. I ended up creating one on one competition to ensure that seeding is correct which we tracked in an Excel spreadsheet. Yes, this is 2016, I know. BB2 has worst admin tools than BB1 ever had and IIRC that was one of the promises they made to give all power to the admins when BB2 was announced.

We did not use BB2StatsGrabber for our PO part of the competition, because we had so many games we could not create them in one league in the first place. In case you don't know, and admin can only admin 4 leagues, which can have no more than 8 competitions. Again, why limit that? But if number of your games less than 8 or you will be creating and deleting the competitons when they are done, I imagine you can get all your games played in one league and than StatsGrabber should consolidate them nicely.

But if your PO is a Knock Off style, isn't it obvious who had more wins?

Anyway, good luck and let's hope that Cyanide will fix that one day.

Thanks Mamutas. I agree at how frustrating this is. I just started using BB2 after running many seasons in BB1, and I am shocked at how there is less than the first game with regards to league management (despite Cyanide's promises which I also remember them making).

We would have less than 8 matches in our playoffs, so I think we could use BB2StatsGrabber. I want the stats not for wins and losses, but for player and team stats (seeing who the top TD scorer in the playoffs were, etc.). One of my favorite things about BBManager was that we could have many seasons and the stat tool could allow me to make parent leagues, so we could see after 10 seasons who killed the most other players, who took the most hits over the years, ran the most yards, etc. Does BB2StatsGrabber let you roll up competitions into parent leagues and look at all the stats in aggregate? My goal is to have stats for individual seasons, as well as the league total.

SlyAnimal

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
PapaNasty
Country Flag
Here is the parent league for Big Crunch 2:

http://www.mordrek.com/BB2Stats/league.html?lid=IJUWOICDOJ2W4Y3IEAZDUICTMVQXG33OEAZA

There are plenty of stats that you can view there, as well as for each division. Although the main thing making this unreliable for stats, is that people are unreliable and a lot of coaches don't upload their stats. I've also occasionally had a few problems with the app whereby games won't upload (Or say that they're uploaded, but aren't). I'm not sure if many others have the same problem and that's why they don't upload their games, or if they just forget.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
Here is the parent league for Big Crunch 2:

http://www.mordrek.com/BB2Stats/league.html?lid=IJUWOICDOJ2W4Y3IEAZDUICTMVQXG33OEAZA

There are plenty of stats that you can view there, as well as for each division. Although the main thing making this unreliable for stats, is that people are unreliable and a lot of coaches don't upload their stats. I've also occasionally had a few problems with the app whereby games won't upload (Or say that they're uploaded, but aren't). I'm not sure if many others have the same problem and that's why they don't upload their games, or if they just forget.

Awesome thank you! We only have 10-12 coaches per season, and play one match a week, so keeping on top of everyone to upload everything isn't too bad.

How do you create parent leagues in BB2StatsGrabber? And how do you set up the competitions in game? Is it just a the round robin competitions from that parent league or do you have anything else beyond that?

Last edited:

SlyAnimal

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
PapaNasty
Country Flag
You just upload the games and then they are automatically registered in the associated parent league, or so I assume, as I don't think that there are any management features for the leagues (Although have never looked into it).

I think that they cover everything within that league. So if you had both a regular season round robin + playoffs, it should include both in the parent league stats. In the same vein, if you had multiple seasons, all under the same parent league, then they should all be included.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
You just upload the games and then they are automatically registered in the associated parent league, or so I assume, as I don't think that there are any management features for the leagues (Although have never looked into it).

I think that they cover everything within that league. So if you had both a regular season round robin + playoffs, it should include both in the parent league stats. In the same vein, if you had multiple seasons, all under the same parent league, then they should all be included.

Thanks so much man! Cheers!

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
Good luck and please share with us your experience with Stats Grabber.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
Is there a way to display things like team rosters, graveyard, etc with the Stats Grabber? For those who remember BB Manager, you could create image links to various aspects of your league and embed them in forums, etc with visuals. They were really awesome and I miss them. I'm assuming stats grabber doesn't have anything like that, right?

For keeping track of played games there is also a new tool Cyanide created

http://web.cyanide-studio.com/ws/bb2/?league=Crunch&platform=pc

Interesting. I'll have to check this out!

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Interesting... Look pretty unsightly though, hope they will make it prettier soon.

Also several subdivisions are missing (like the one I'm in), some other competitions with similar (crunch) names are added and several teams are missing (meaning the data is probably mined from each team, so when a team gets deleted by the owner all history with that team gets deleted from all their league tables as well)

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
It is surely is incomplete. I could not find Emojis in it despite all the matches they played.