Vampire Defensive setup advice for vampires

WildeEngineer

Rookie
Steam Username
WildeEngineer
Country Flag
I'm playing a relatively short league and I realized and need some advice for the defensive setup for vamps. I know they're good at cage breaking bit I haven't figured out how to setup to take advantage of this, in particular against bashy teams. This league season allows for a permanent star player and I have Wilhelm Chaney to help with blitzes and take downs. So anyone have any advice on a good setup?

Last edited:

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
In the middle of your defense (not on LoS), as you dont want to activate them unless really needed (Bloodlust). That's the principle I see in it.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I'm playing a relatively short league and I realized and need some advice for the defensive setup for vamps. I know they're good at cage breaking bit I haven't figured out how to setup to take advantage of this, in particular against bashy teams. This league season allows for a permanent star player and I have Wilhelm Chaney to help with blitzes and take downs. So anyone have any advice on a good setup?
Ilgoth is basically right. Vamps are the best cage breakers in the game due to hypno but they're quite slow. Their biggest challenge is being in position to reach the cage an retrieve the ball. That means you keep them central. If the opponent has the ball near the back send thralls after them but keep the vamps together and close to the centre, they need to work as a pack to be effective (1-2 gazes, 1 or 2 man marking 1 blitzing 1 recovering).

WildeEngineer

Rookie
Steam Username
WildeEngineer
Country Flag
Ilgoth is basically right. Vamps are the best cage breakers in the game due to hypno but they're quite slow. Their biggest challenge is being in position to reach the cage an retrieve the ball. That means you keep them central. If the opponent has the ball near the back send thralls after them but keep the vamps together and close to the centre, they need to work as a pack to be effective (1-2 gazes, 1 or 2 man marking 1 blitzing 1 recovering).

Thanks, so do you think formation D1 from https://fumbbl.com/help:Defensive+Setups would be a decent setup for keeping the vamps central?

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag

Regor

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
If u have some free time u can watch this podcast talking about Vamps, with one of the best Vamps Coach in my opinion Bantha: http://orcacolacast.libsyn.com (Mon, 14 July 2014).
I agree with @Ilgoth and @TravelScrabble , Vamps is all about position. In a defensive formation, normaly i use a similar C2) Strongly Asymmetric.

T=Thrall
V= Vamp

- - - - - - T T T - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - T V V V V V T - - - -
- - - - - - - T - - - - - - -

WildeEngineer

Rookie
Steam Username
WildeEngineer
Country Flag
If u have some free time u can watch this podcast talking about Vamps, with one of the best Vamps Coach in my opinion Bantha: http://orcacolacast.libsyn.com (Mon, 14 July 2014).
I agree with @Ilgoth and @TravelScrabble , Vamps is all about position. In a defensive formation, normaly i use a similar C2) Strongly Asymmetric.

T=Thrall
V= Vamp

Thanks, thats a big help. I'll try it out my next match and give that podcast a listen.

WildeEngineer

Rookie
Steam Username
WildeEngineer
Country Flag

T=Thrall
V= Vamp

Thanks again for your advice, I used the defensive setup this week and it threw off my opponent a bit and let me grab the ball when he failed his pickup. I was able to take the game 2-1 (vs chaos).

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
If I have kick I will place my line thralls on one side of the line,far left or right but still middle, and line up three vamps on the opposite side a space back and drop the ball in front of them. That ball is yours. Go get it.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
If I have kick I will place my line thralls on one side of the line,far left or right but still middle, and line up three vamps on the opposite side a space back and drop the ball in front of them. That ball is yours. Go get it.
I like that Kjelstad, nice to have some pro vamp advice back on the site.

WildeEngineer

Rookie
Steam Username
WildeEngineer
Country Flag
Thanks for the tip, I just got kick on a thrall so I'll try this out. Do you only place 3 thralls directly on the line still?