Status
Not open for further replies.

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
My two cents on the Underworld Linerat discussion:

Underworld would like to have some Guard, but apart from the Troll, there's usually no room. There's always something I would like more. I've tried building a Block/Guard Linerat before, on my old BB1 team. He didn't last long. Yes, a single Guard can give an agile team (which can choose easily where to hit) a great advantage. And that's precisely why every opponent worth their money will target that one Guard piece with every blitz they have, even over your killers.

Now, assuming I have a Block/Dodge Lineman and I roll a double again, I might think about Guard some more. Blodge offers enough protection so that the assessment becomes different. And if you find yourself in a championship race (rather than just general survival and hoping for promotion), I'd also give Guard more weight, simply because while the player survives, he will carry the team far. But don't expect to still have the player at the end of the season.

On the other hand, Underworld does need a proper sacker, and I always like to build a Linerat into that role. Wrestle/Tackle/Horns/Two Heads is my usual build. +AG/Dodge is a pretty nice start and can easily be built into a sacker. Add just Wrestle and he's already serviceable, add Tackle and then Horns, and he's amazing. Due to his +AG, he's also a serious threat for picking up the ball after the sack.

TL/DR: I like Dodge!

Plum

Veteran
Country Flag
Lizards! My TT league team (Tickled Skink) has been progressing quite nicely without needing much in the way of decisions. Last night's game however saw three level ups at the expense of an unfortunate Nurgle team...

3 RR, Apo
Krox with block, guard
5x Saurus with block
Saurus (+N)
Skink with sidestep
Skink with sidestep (+D or MV)
Skink (+N)
Skink

My sixth saurus rolled a normal and will probably take block (or tackle, as I have none and am facing skaven next, or maybe frenzy or kick...). The rookie skink rolled 6,4 which will almost certainly be a speed boost, with a view to getting sure feet or sprint next level.

And last but definitely not least, a sidestep skink rolled 5,5! Oooh this one is tricky. I would love sure-hands, since I still have skaven and slann to face, both of whom are capable of bypassing my screen and strip-balling the carrier. But I also have a bunch of slower teams still to face, where sure-hands will be less critical (especially given that I have a third RR to help with the pickup), so block sure is tempting. A blodgestep ball carrier is great, and marking the opposing carrier with him could be incredibly annoying. Or wrestle/dauntless so I can use him as a cage diver, but he'll be incredibly vulnerable. Or take the +MV and have a second MV9 piece, but you don't really need two OTTD threats.

I'm leaning towards the sensible - block on the saurus, SH on the sidestep skink and +MV on the rookie skink. That gives me a much stronger OTTD threat, while still practical for regular play. Plus it lets me drop back to 2RR to free up tv.

I also have a bunch of treasury cash to spend and nothing much to spend it on - is it worth getting the extra skink to start skilling him up and fishing for +AG, or is it better to stay lean and hungry, saving the cash in case one of the big guys gets injured?

Too many choices!

Last edited:

Znarx

Courier Staff
Cyanide Username
Znarx
Country Flag
I like having a wrestle/tackle Saurus for getting the ball loose. That player also really wants Break Tackle so your opponent can't just mark them with a lineman to take them out of the action

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
Wrestle on a Saurus can be a double-edged sword. It's great if you can use it to sack (which might not happen that often). Also making gaps isn't as important because Skinks have Stunty. But it wouldn't be bad either.

Cons are that it slows its developement and doesn't help him standing up as much as Block would. 6 Saurii with Block+Guard and Krox are a force to be reckoned with that can lock down stuff neat. Although at least one Break Tackle has to probably fit somewhere, as well as a dedicated killer.

Just a thing to consider, I don't consider Wrestle to be a bad choice, but Block is safe 'nd sound choice.

I'd personally pick Block, +MA and Sure Hands in your situation.

Plum

Veteran
Country Flag
Hmmmm thanks for the suggestions - wrestle is actually super tempting. It helps to shut down annoying block-guard players, helps against blodge ball carriers, helps to remove markers from my krox/saurii (no break tackle yet). It will slow his SPP generation down but I'll put him on the regular MVP list and hopefully get him tackle before the season playoffs when blodge is likely to be common.

Sure hands on the skink just seems like a solid choice, especially given I'll be facing strip-ball cage divers in my remaining games.

Sataric

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sataric
Cyanide Username
Sataric
Country Flag
Need some advice on my Nurgle team over in the OCC. Sorry for the very large image. My Pestigor rolled 10 (6 + 4) and has the option to take +MA here. However, with all the doubles I've rolled already, they're already lacking in base skills and are starting to feel a bit 'bloaty' compared to the opponents they're going up against. Plus my killer has taken an injury so developing this fella as a secondary killer piece makes the most sense. However, +MA is very nice on a killer, but it certainly delays the time it'd take before I get the more crucial skills of: Block, Mighty Blow, Claw, Tackle, and Piling On. Also note that I do not have any Tackle yet and there's a bunch of dodgey bastards in my division. :p

0rh2vGZ.jpg

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
The problem with Pests is you only have 4 of them so you need to decide what you want each one to do.
You want a ballcarrier , a safety and at least 1 killer.
The blodge one makes a good ballcarrier unless you roll an AG on another one soon.
You also have 1 killer.
I am not sure where the dodge one is going as it isn't really needed for anything except carrying the ball but is probably best for a sacker/safety player with wrackle / 2heads if he doesn't get +AG.
That means that this guy wants block ( or MB to get SPP quicker ) so skip the MA and make him Killer No2.

While MA is OK on a killer it means he is going to take a while to get SPP and a killer looks perfectly fine without a double or Stat ( Block , Claw , MB , PO , Tackle and Juggs or Frenzy ).
Get a +MA on there and he won't get tackle until 176 SPP and will never get it if he rolls a double for Jump Up.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
+1 to tys. Two killers, one carrier and one sacker pestigors is great for Nurgle. Only carrier wants more movement, but you already have a blodger set for that role. Your dodger can play in the sacking role, Dodge is pretty neat for them too.

Your both killers want Block, Mighty blow, Claw, Piling on and Tackle (probably not in that order). That's 5 core skills already and final one is 100 SPP away. Even then Frenzy, Pro or Jump Up would serve them better. For that reason they cannot offer to pick up +MA (and it slows their SPP gathering too), despite being immobile.

Dionysian

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I'd take it. Movement is more important than dodge for your ball carrier. You can eat the bloatiness in league play for a while - esp in T4 - and you're heavily committed to long term project players anyway with the dodge warrior and second pest dodge. The efficiency ship has sailed.

I'd take blodge guard on all the dodge pieces and have the 4th warrior take MB/Claw to cover kill duties. One of the pieces will find tackle eventually, but I wouldn't worry about not having it in the meantime.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Good point about +MA being better than dodge for the ballcarrier.
But if I was going down that route I would replace the dodge pest as you are not going to have money issues and are currently putting a lot on a -MA Pest

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
Hmmmm thanks for the suggestions - wrestle is actually super tempting. It helps to shut down annoying block-guard players, helps against blodge ball carriers, helps to remove markers from my krox/saurii (no break tackle yet). It will slow his SPP generation down but I'll put him on the regular MVP list and hopefully get him tackle before the season playoffs when blodge is likely to be common.

Sure hands on the skink just seems like a solid choice, especially given I'll be facing strip-ball cage divers in my remaining games.

The new D3 MVP rule is sooo good for Lizards, and really any low agility high strength pieces. Not having to rely on casualties to advance is a literal game changer.

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag
Okay, new High Elf catcher doubles question! This is a pretty developed team in tier 4 of the OCC. Sitting 4-2-2, and likely to move up a division if I win or get a tie against an undead team next match week.

http://www.bb2leaguemanager.com/Leaderboard/team_detail.php?team_id=2374798&community_id=1

Viscount, the thrower, picked up strong arm. Dylan, the lineman, pickedup dodge.

Now I have Alistair, a blodge catcher with a double. I have a level 2 catcher with MB who will get wrestle next (my wrackle catcher died recently).

I'm considering: MB, a MB player with block is a better bitzer for now.
Guard, because blodge guard that is mobile is always useful, though I do have two blodge guard line elves already.
Tackle, as another blitzing threat with a good range
SideStep, because sidestepping blodgers are annoying.
Nerves of Steal, to make him a receiving threat that's hard to take away.

I don't want to use him like a guard lineelf since he is only AV7, and my only catcher with a protection skill (I find it hard to level HE catchers since they don't start with any protection skill and are AV7 they get hit any time you expose them).

Thoughts appreciated!

I gave him guard and of course got -MA the next match :)

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
I am playing another season of Human League in my Tabletop group. A Blitzer just hit 76SPP; he already has Guard, Mighty Blow, Pro and +AG.

This is the rest of my team. I had a really bad week 1 (we just finished MD4), where I lost an AG4 Blodgestep Catcher and a Guard Ogre and haven't been able to afford any replacements yet. The way we buy and acquire players is some complicated house rules but you cannot just buy 0SPP replacement players. There is a waiver wire, free agents and a salary cap.

Screenshot - 4_16_2019 , 8_49_55 PM.png

The easy answer is Tackle, but in my last 4 games I only play against 2 Dodge players total, and they are both on the same team so that would likely be wasted this season. I also considered Kick because I don't have any and will probably never have a lineman that doesn't end up on the LoS unless things go terribly wrong, but at that point a lineman with kick would be the last thing I need.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

EDIT: The obvious answer may have been staring me in the face. I will be facing at least 6 ST4 players and 2 Ogres (one is ST6) in those same 4 games so maybe Dauntless?

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
You're going to miss Tackle a lot when you need it if you skip it for that guy. If not, I'd consider Stand Firm. With AG4 he might find himself with the ball often and having that protection near sidelines helps, whether he is already carrying or about to receive the ball. It also potentially sets up surfing plays easier.

I absolutely wouldn't take Kick to a Blitzer because it does nothing to improve your player. Better suited for a Lineman or maybe a Thrower much later.

I personally only pick Dauntless to players like Witch Elves to make them better surfing options. I wouldn't bat an eye at you for picking it, I just probably wouldn't take it.

Edit: Sounds like a draft league I'm playing on FUMBBL. If you can manage with the graphics, check out DLA (Draft League Atlantic). Waitlist is lacking of NA coaches! https://fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=11582

Last edited:

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
If the team is going to carry on beyond the next two games then Tackle is still the correct choice in general. I wouldn’t have taken Pro on him earlier, because it’s a sub-optimal skill for most players in my book. Dauntless or Stand Firm would not be bad choices all the same.

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
Thanks for the advice so far Supa and danton.

I didn't take Pro myself. The players are generated with a random number of SPP and then skills. That's where Pro on him, Safe Throw on the Catcher and Dump Off/NoS on the Thrower came from. I have actually done a pretty good job of minimizing the bad skills on my guys.

DireSickFish

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
SickFish
Cyanide Username
DireSickFish
Country Flag
Guard, Tackle or Sure Feet on Revived Commander Shepard? https://i.imgur.com/pHlbQOA.png

Guard - Means I can put Guard on the LOS and make it really hard for people to get 2d blocks without over committing Should also make finding blocks against my thralls generally harder.

Tackle - Only having 1 tackle makes it hard to reliably sack the ball. Pretty easy to isolate it, and if my killer gets KOd I have no Tackle. Combined with SS also makes him a great marker.

Sure Feet- I've wanted this for a while. Vamps are slow and the extra 2 squares semi reliably would be huge. I want to pick this up eventually. But do I grab it now or after Tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.