High Elf (OFL) Greater Ulthuan Exiles

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
I can definitely see the team coming together nicely already. Three Guard at this level is a lot. And I'm sure we haven't heard the last of the name Alanalanath - which is a pity, really, as that's an annoying name to type :D

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The good news is, you are now going up against the worst team, coached by the worst player in the league! :D

Mighty Blow Orcs who cant remove Skinks from the field but make up for it by leaving the field like Snotlings themselves.

Your Orcs do seem to be remarkably gentle and have had a very bad case of paper mache armour. I hope your situation improves in the long run, but not for the next game? :p

I can definitely see the team coming together nicely already. Three Guard at this level is a lot. And I'm sure we haven't heard the last of the name Alanalanath - which is a pity, really, as that's an annoying name to type :D

I'm sure he'll be considerate and get himself killed quickly.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
MD5

The Black Gulf Booty Smashers had a strange look about them, like something wasn’t right. Maybe their shade of green was off, or the fact that several of their players were wearing their armour inside out, it was hard to say. Still, despite--or possibly because of--the run of injuries and death dogging their heels, they had a mean look in their eyes and didn’t look like they were about to take anything lying down.

Extraordinary Illgoth, Guard Lineself, sensed which way the match was going when Indestruction was K.Oed so hard he flew out of the stadium from the opening hits. Thus when the orc hit him, he played dead until the match was over.

With one eye open from the sidelines, he saw the rest of the team was not as smart as he was. Swft fairbreeze ran out to the side of the Exiles formation shouting something about seeing an Owl. An orc caught her, and soon she was lying next to Illgoth twitching funny. The Exiles were now just trying to chase the orcs into scoring faster, but the Orcs seemed inclined to take their time, and Takrad(FA), punched the Delicate Reineria in the chest so hard she snapped.

“Apothecary! Save her!” shouted the High Coach. He looked desperately toward the angelic elven maiden.

She looked up from her book. “Ehhhhh…”

“Cry the healing tears over her!”

“...She’s just not that cute? I don't care?”

“Noooo!”

Reinia flopped down dead. Possibly from her injuries, or possibly from the insult.

At this point, Alanalanath started crying and trying to run away. However Tathron, Guard +MA blitzer, scream his undying love for Reineria and killed and orc loner by tearing its head off. The rest of the half consisted of running away, with Tathron protecting the screaming Alanalanath.

It took a lot of convincing from the high coach for Alanalanath to position himself to try a rapid, last minute OTTD, but at the blow of the whistle the orcs cunningly leapt aside, leaving no opportunity. This seemed to be a huge relief for Alanalanath.

In the second half Elixion had to try a long pass, which he ballsed up. The ball went out of bounds, but the orc supports got if first and threw it well away from the Exiles. The rest of the came consisted of Alanalanath running away screaming and sobbing, while the blitzers tried to shield him with their bodies. Nessandont got a broken jaw for his troubles, but Lineself Sulion was able to break the leg of Takrad (FA), while shouting “Vengeance for Reineria!” at the top of his lungs.

Exiles lose 2-0.

The bill of damages at the end is Reiniera, dodge catcher dead. Swift Fairbreeze, rookie catcher with 3 SPP niggled and Nessendont MNG. Not great.

On the other hand, the MVP lands on Nessandont getting him dodge, and I rolled a six for cash, so can actually afford my third FA.

Opening of the match was pretty unlucky, orcs got two removed on the first turn along with a stun, then a third out on the second turn. When Reineria went down, the Exiles just didn’t have the numbers or fancy enough players to touch the orcs cage.

Elixion failed a 75% pass, which wasn’t the odds you want to bet the game on, but we were down enough players it was what we had. Just generally unfortunate, though we end up MNGing one of SBRs best players, so in the end orc armour wasn’t great either.

Now decisions, decisions. Do I fire the niggled 3spp catcher? I would guess so, but maybe I hang onto her for a little while? Probably not worth it, as we’re going to be on loners for the foreseeable future regardless.

Second question is which FA to pick? Best options I can see are either:

Dodge, +AGI Catcher, or

Block, Dodge, Guard Lineelf, or

Save up for one more week and pick Wrestle, Dodge, Leap, +Agi Line Elf.

Mostly torn between the first two. Lean into having all the guard, or all the agi? The leap would obviously be scary for my opponents, but lines elves are slow and needed more on the line to shield all the more delicate players. Maybe better in the long run to build up an agi catcher to do it instead.

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
Rough result, sorry to hear about the losses.

I'd lean towards the Guard Blodger. He's going to protect your other players, allowing you to stabilize (or at least increase the chances of stabilizing). With 4 Guard total, you shouldn't be in much danger of opponents simply basing your whole time, I'd say.

The Dodge/+AG Catcher is of course the instrument if your approach is "I want to win matches NOW". Having two of those on the team represents a serious scoring threat at any point (plus, they are very good at running away). On the other hand, the more "artists" you have on the team, the more likely it becomes that some of them get hurt. Can't protect them all. So this is probably not the way to go if you want long term development.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
"Apotechary! Save her!” shouted the High Coach. He looked desperately toward the angelic elven maiden.

She looked up from her book. “Ehhhhh…”

“Cry the healing tears over her!”

“...She’s just not that cute? I don't care?”

“Noooo!”

Glorious!

Now, decisions, decisions. Do I fire the niggled 3spp catcher? I would guess so, but maybe I hang onto her for a little while? Probably not worth it, as we’re going to be on loners for the foreseeable future regardless.

Second question is which FA to pick? Best options I can see are either:

Dodge, +AGI Catcher, or

Block, Dodge, Guard Lineelf, or

Save up for one more week and pick Wrestle, Dodge, Leap, +Agi Line Elf.

Mostly torn between the first two. Lean into having all the guard, or all the agi? The leap would obviously be scary for my opponents, but lines elves are slow and needed more on the line to shield all the more delicate players. Maybe better in the long run to build up an agi catcher to do it instead.

Niggle catcher is way too big risk to carry around in my opinion, especially if it's only a rookie. I'd say fire.

My first instinct would be to pick the guard lineman instead of the +AG catcher. Although if you can get a wizard consistently then +AG is great of course. That said you might still need guard more for overall annoyance/aid. Also guard can help sacking with a wizard if it didn't clear enough path.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I like the leaping line elf because he’s fully developed now and gives your team something it doesn’t have and which takes a while to develop. Blodge guard is ready now too but you have other players developing that way and it’s less skills to get that kind of player

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Good thoughts guys, I'm going to keep thinking about it. Next match is against Kens Lizards, so a decent number of disposable loners may be in my best interests anyway for the time being.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag

MD6

“Sir?”

“I’m not leaving, RIfeldin! Go away!”

“You have to come out from under your bed, sir?”

“No I don’t, Rifeldin. I do not have to come out from under my bed. I will never come out from under my bed.”

High assistant Rifeldin sighed, and sat down next to the Grand Bed of the High Coach. “Look sir, it could have gone better--”

“The Bloodwiser Babe didn’t even turn up!”

“Yes… High Scout Leonas filled out the form and may have gotten the address wrong…”

“Is this… the Greater Ulthaun Exiles?” asked the woman. “The High Elves?”

The dwarves all looked at her. Then at the wagon behind her filled with barrels of bloodwiser. Then at each other.

“Yeah, that’s us.”

“I’m an Elf.”

“I love passing and kissing flowers and wearing dresses.”

“I am very fragile and would die to a tap, very elvish.”

“I mean, the lizards offer to wait in case she turned up..”

“I will not accept pity from a lizard, Rifeldin! I have my High Elven pride!”

“Of course, sir.”

“Elixion then balled up the kick, giving them a touchback! A saurus with the ball, Rifeldin! He didn’t know what to do with it! They had to tap it to his hands and put a cone on him so he stopped trying to eat it!”

“He was looking quite upset by the time he scored, sir.”

“How do you touch a ball when a saurus is carrying it?! I mean, we could have tried at least if those PUMPKINS COULD DO ANYTHING!”

“I think blaming the handmaidens isn’t fair sir, they had never played bloodbowl before. Also they’ve all quit after you shouted at them. They all actually worked for Princess Reina anyway, and she’s dead, sooo…”

“I wish the lizards had killed them all!”

“The fact that you were shouting that during the second half of the match didn’t help morale, sir.”

“Well it all could have been redeemed in the second half, but a lizard dodged better than any of our players and knocked out Alanalanath! Then is was all over!”

“Bar the shouting and crying sir, yes. At least no one was hurt?”

“A pity.”

“And the take was very good. I don’t know why anyone enjoyed watching that match, but they seemed to. We now have a large treasury and Indestrstrucaron has learned the value of team play.”

*Outside the mansion the now four guard elves practise dancing in perfect synchronization.*

“What does money matter, RIfeldin? I’m already rich.”

Rifeldin decided not to tell the High Coach about the Ulthuan Bank accounts having been frozen on the direct order of the Phoenix King. Not right now. “Well sir, we could hire a third free agent? Why not go shopping? To cheer you up?”

“Maybe…” said Remtharion, still under the bed.

Well, I fucked that one up. Accidentally clicked through Inducements (Ken kindly offered to reset, but I couldn’t be bothered waiting for an admin. How much does a Babe matter? ...A fair bit, as it turned out, I had two K.Os out after half time that would have both come back with the babe. Lesson learned.) Loners skulling out on blocks I needed pushes for cost me my attempts to get at the ball. I forgot the full implications of a dodge-breaktackle saurus and made my screen on Alanalanath too loose, which cost me my offense. Ah well, a learning experience.

I have not used the FA system to best effect. High elves weakness is the need for core skills, but in my two Guard FA blitzers I bought potential instead. When purchasing them at the start of the season, my thought process was that blisters were the slowest leveling positional on the High Elf team, so they would be the best ones to buy.

If I had bought a complete player, that may have been the case, but neither of the ones I bought had dodge. Tathron--the Guard +Ma blitzer-- is still 15 SPP off getting dodge, that's a fair distance away, let alone getting the ideal sidestep to go with it. Until then, while he’s one of my best players, he’s critically flawed.

I should probably have bought skilled line elves. There are blodge guard ones in the pool, them alongside rookie blitzers would have been much more effective on the field and rookie blitzers would only need one skill to get dodge, and then they’re perfectly usable, so in many ways it was a waste to use blitzers slots for FAs.

Unsurprisingly I guess, my first season back is a learning experience. I’ve been feeling some regret at picking High Elves, having picked them largely out of nostalgia. Still, the team is slowly coming together, and I’m realizing what I think my mistakes have been.

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
I see that High Coach Remtharion has assumed his historically rightful position: Under the bed. (I didn't realize I missed it, but I did)

Interesting analysis regarding the free agent decision, thanks for sharing that. Yet another reminder (had another yesterday in one of my matches) that there is often much to be gained from thinking about things some more.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
FA Purchase

So after a lot of thinking, I’ve bought our third FA. It took a bit of work remaking the team, and 40k spare gold was wiped, but I think it was the right idea.

Team Before FA
U9omK9TpRxUwQUZsMbTjSFBBbg5pqy_vQDhG4sM_EGLvld-cTqjBlWep_cbMXl3mC2FhxqIZnIdBsiyr78chbK462FQhJAMjhQsToVkTXcDXbSm3isxaJ_afQnxoMG9S016EYg3c

Team After FA
O-p11qCMpkxseLBQ49i-Ru-VI4Je-5U4Dlb1afhyHPeATzL5gmfy3lIB2xhtv3MAtUV9h-OmDMwgBVTTEBv7QfGb7XAxhEOmG-9EW5LnhT2IwBl1-eIxI7W2DeZT363hZ6DA1e5t

As you can see, following TS’s suggestion we welcome Neon Deion [FA] to the team, a Lineself with Wrestle, dodge, +AGI and leap. Now there’s a threat! I had considered hiring him when making the team, but half-baked concerns in my head about the rule of 5 (focus on having five good elves you can protect, the rest are expendable) had made me turn away from hiring him.

After more thought, I realized I just need more wrestle and dodge in my life, and he’s as good at carrying it as anyone. Catchers can level up by themselves, lineselves less so. Given 2/3s of my catchers are already dead or sacked, it’s not like we’ve got a lot of other people to protect right now.

A pity I didn’t start with him, as I reckon he would have won me some games and generally been more of a help than the guard blitzers, but who can really say in bloodbowl? He could have just died making a GFI before even thinking about leaping.

Only other change was Elixion getting block, I just want more general reliability, passing well can some later.

With Nessentdon (Who’s name I have been misspelling, but who cares) back from MNG with Dodge now, this gives me three blodge/wrodgers, up from 0. Very nice. We also have as much guard as any team in the league, and more than most bash teams. If we get a MB player somewhere I think we qualify as a bash team ourselves.

“What do you mean, the treasury is empty?!” Remtharion threw his tea cup across the room.

“Well sir, new free agents aren't cheap,” said Rifeldin. He winced at the loss of the cup, those cost as much the the lineselves salary each week to replace. “High Scout Leonas assured me this was money well spent though.”

“Yes, but empty?! How?! We’re rich! I’m Rich! That’s just how things are!”

“Yes sir, but… the lawsuit from sacking Swift Fairbreeze cost a bit as well, and now our stadium is being investigated for Rare Laughing Owls again. This could be costly.”

“I haven’t seen anything even remotely like a Rare Laughing Owl! Just transfer more money from Ulthuan.”

“Well…”

“What, Rifeldin? What is it?”

“The thing is… the last of the funds we were able to smuggle out… the last ship of gold coming out was...”

“What?”

“Well it was captured by dark elf pirates sir.”

“And that’s twenty percent for you,” said the Witch Elf Indomita.

“Brilliant. I knew this gig would be more profitable than bothering to play ourselves.” High Scout Leonas kicked his feet up on the table. They were in the Premier strip club in Altdorf and expensive drink we flowing. It was pretty boring really, but since pro elf cheer leaders had apparently been banned since he had last been involved in bloodbowl, he took what he could get. “Pretty sure that was the last thing left worth stealing.”

“What about all the silverware you mentioned?” said Indomita.

“Nah, the Handmaidens nicked that when they left. You know Reinaria might not be actually dead? I heard them say she had just fainted so deeply that it was basically a medically induced coma. Not important.”

“Well if you find any other tips, let me know,” said Indomita. She sighed. “You know, sometimes I miss bloodbowl.”

“Well maybe try out for the Exiles then. I’ll claim you’re a high elf, it’s not like the High Coach cares. He’s still trying to get away with glueing ears onto an Ogre and getting one of them in.”

After Idomita left, Leonas’ other companion, Neon Deion spoke. “Is this… normal? We didn;t do things like this on my last team.”

Leonas looked at him. “Yeah. What, you don’t like your signing bonus?”

“No, no, this is great.” He took a big drink. “I’m good with this.”

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
As a side note, I can't believe I forgot to post and mention the brilliant logo Astrospider made for the team! I thought I had put it up ages ago for some reason.

Remthar.png

One of the awesome things in the OFL is teams having custom team logos! I have no idea the process used to get them in, I believe it was more complicated than in bloodbowl 1, but in the end all I have to do is replace a couple of files in the game folder with new ones provided and boom, all the teams have their own amazing Logos.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Yes it will be a great team in 20 matches time. But short term the lack of block and dodge will hurt.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
I never realized how much guard this team has. They'll be monsters at some point. Great sacking+retrieving combo too.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah, the potential for the team is huge. I just hope they live long enough to get the basic skills necessary to make good use of it. Next game we're looking at a full squad of block Saurus, one of which is STR5 with MB, guard and Frenzy. Some lucky leaping could see us through, or we could be roadkill under a lizard steamroller.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Long time no post, venting time.

Actual record is not bad, drew with the lizards, will do a write up about that match and put up the woodie one I forgot to post soon.

I'm feeling despondent about the team, which is probably not fair looking at them on paper, but I am. I think I've felt in control of a match once and that was a draw, everything else has just been trying to stay calm until I'm hemorrhaging elves at a rate I have to just trust to bullshit. Obviously elves go down players, its part of their thing, but I'm just losing them early and fast. I never feel like I have a plan with any reasonable chance of success. Maybe I just don't mesh well with High Elves. It feels like I lose players at the same rate I build them, so the team is going to be in a perpetual state of being unsatisfactory. In theory its not hard to level some catchers, but with the rest of the league sporting super-star killers from the get-go, its not like I have a safe time to develop.

I mostly just took high elves because I enjoy writing the fluff, but I'm concerned that maybe I don't enjoy playing the team in the long run. Maybe I'd have more fun with them in something like the OCC, where its only the long run that matters? Maybe not. I enjoyed the couple of times I played Dark Elves more, having 6 of their positionals start 6SPP from blodge is more relaxing. Every maimed high elf player feels like a minimum spend of 16 SPP before their a safe generalist player, and my habit of rolling early stats and doubles doesn't help this.

Yes I'm complaining about rolling stats and doubles! This is a big whinge, I'll moan about everything.

It's not so much about winning, losing or even player injuries, its about not feeling happy with the team. Which also makes the fluff less fun to write. If I'm not feeling better about them by the end of the season, I'll probably reroll to halflings or something silly for the next one to recover.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
In my opinion (high) elves have it quite hard at higher team values. You will get brutally outnumbered eventually, so you'll have to rely on some BS to make things work. High elves don't have it that easy compared to woodies (who are the best at elf BS) and dark elves (who have 6 awesome positionals in blitzers and witches, able to play "safer" Blood Bowl more than other elves).

I think many coaches are in the same boat as you are, elves can be torture quite often. Bash is generally easier to play at higher team values and more forgiving. If done correctly and a little luck you're often rolling safe dice and beat your opponents to pulp. Now receiving that treatment as an elf coach is... Something. :D and you will find yourself with longshot opportunity to win, which might feel just "wrong".

Elves will always have the difficult way around and one mistake tends to cost the game more often than it does for bash. They're obviously unstoppable if the rolls work great. But when teams start getting more S skills and tackle, it's hard to fight back consistently. You eventually need some stat freaks as sacking threat, or mass guard. Good way to stay competitive is to get a good oneturner which almost guarantees you at least draws.

At least your guys have AV8, which is usually better than pros.

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
It's true that overall, certain teams are better in specific environments. Amazons and Norse are good in TT resurrection, but they suffer in deep perpetual leagues. Chaos and Nurgle are the exact opposite.

But beyond those "known" cases, things become a bit more difficult, there are probably more borderline cases. High Elves have won the OCC a total of 5 times, under 4 different coaches. That's for a total of 49 seasons, so it's a pretty impressive number for one race. On the other hand, the statistical significance of 49 "test cases" is relatively low. And looking at the BB2 seasons that were won by High Elves, in those two seasons the Championship tier of the OCC was certainly very Elf infested. So maybe the High Elves managed to avoid heavy bash on their way there? Maybe the BB1 High Elf winners also had "easy" conditions in their Championship runs? Hard to tell. I do not trust these stats very much.

Intuitively, I'd concur with your analysis, Remthar, that the OFL might not favour High Elves, comparatively. If I recall correctly, OFL has regular resets, in relatively short intervals, which means teams must fulfill their "minimum team requirements" with relatively short development time, plus Free Agents. I'm not expert enough on High Elves, but if I speculatively define their "minimum team requirements" as "lots of Blodge, some Guard, one or two cage busters", then that sounds like a lot of development needed. While the Chaos/Nurgle/Orc game plan of "lots of Block and two killers" is probably a lot easier to achieve, if you can just buy the killers - and that makes everybody else's development that much harder.

However, I have learned my lesson to always consider that what I perceive as a systematic problem might just be randomness. It could simply be Nuffle trying to mess with you.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Thank you both for your thoughts.

In my opinion (high) elves have it quite hard at higher team values. You will get brutally outnumbered eventually, so you'll have to rely on some BS to make things work. High elves don't have it that easy compared to woodies (who are the best at elf BS) and dark elves (who have 6 awesome positionals in blitzers and witches, able to play "safer" Blood Bowl more than other elves).

I've always suspected that High Elves have the highest (practical) ceiling of an elf team. They have the height raw stats with mass AV8 and high movement, meaning a good statistical chance of developing players to great potential. Woodies and pros need significantly more luck to have a widely developed team and Dark elves swap speed for armour and skills, which makes the more reliable but less potentially explosive.

On the other hand High elves can get caught in a spiral a bit easy than the others(bar Pros, who I think are similar or even worse for a spiral, depending on if you ever dream of having a bench), given every player needs all their basic skills. You need to build players to win, but building players requires winning (Or at least scoring touchdowns.) A higher risk higher reward team, overall for leagues. Could be something great, if it reaches it's potential. I'm probably whining much too early thinking about this. Of course the team requires time to get good, I've only played 8 matches so far. It's sometimes easy to forget that given all the skilled players around, but it is the case. I even have the stats and mass guard you mentioned, why am I complaining?! :confused:

However, I have learned my lesson to always consider that what I perceive as a systematic problem might just be randomness. It could simply be Nuffle trying to mess with you.

I think your thoughts on the OCC High elves and the OFL set-up are right, but this is definitely also possibility, and a good thing to remember. I've had a few games where looking at it statistically, I got way more players removed in the opening 2-4 turns than would be average for the few hits I'm giving up. It could just be a little run of unfortunate armor luck making me feel a loss of control, and I'm over-reacting. Things could easily even out in the longer run.

I feel better for having a good rant about it regardless, and even if I have made some sub-optimal choices for the league I'm in all I can do is keep playing and try to improve what I can improve.

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
MD7 Vs Yewtree United (wood elves coached by Jawsus5r)

Shorter report this time, as I’m getting behind things. (this was also written a couple of weeks ago now, I have really gotten behind)

For starters, it turns out we’re giving away a wizard, which is concerning against wood elves with two MA9 players. We elect to kick to beguin and the woodie play slow at first, managing to maim a loner off the line. They then cage up in the middle, and Neon Dieon tries his first jump… going 1 reroll 2, skull for the block. Not the most inspiring start for him, but it’s the threat that counts, right?

The woodies break through, cage on the back line but I;m able to pressure them to score on turn four. My own offense goes well, with a lot of side shifting but I feel pretty good about how I played to avoid an easy shot with the wizard. I am forced to run in with Indestructaron leaving one turn each on the clock however.

The woodies manage their one turner, but I get double skulls to double both down on my first block, so can't retaliate. We did get a Cas for our trouble though, evening up the numbers.

In the second half I play a fast offense due to the wizard, and also because more touchdown is more fun than less. We’re 2-2.

The woodies again end up caged in the middle, and I manage to block off Deons leap path with a little wall of elves failing to fight the woodies roided out str lineself. But the woodies seem to feel the pressure and make a run for it with a catcher GFIing to the max and falling over an Exile tripwire!

We recover the ball and have to make a 4+ pass for fear of the wizard, but this time Elixion has that in him, and we’re away. Alanalanath hands off the ball to tathron purely so he;s hit by the wizard instead, then collects the ball, shoves away a dancer and scores.

The woodies try a one turn TD despite having four turns left, but are hit by the endzone tripwire this time and the exiles recover the ball. I mess up the timing of the turns, nearly lose the ball, but manage to keep it and hold out for the 3-2 win!

I’m pretty happy with how I played against the wizard, but in the end I won due to woodies failing GFIs. We got a good spread of SPP, no one important got hurt and Deon is obviously saving his luck for when we play the lizards. Obviously.

A special note goes to Elixion, who got hit a lot this match for some reason, but I'm pretty sure the woodies rolled both down-stumbles every single time. Getting value out of of that blodge!

I think I need to focus on slowing down my offense. Facing a wizard against elves a shoot-out is reasonable, but I’ve always had a problem with getting nervous and wanting to get the ball downfield as soon as possible.