Dark Elf Apo or 3 rr?

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Am flying to Chile to play a NAF tournament on Saturday and want to take Dark Elves. It’s 1.1 million and 6 regular skills for tier 1 teams.

I’ve settled on 3 blitzers, 2 witch elves, 1 runner and 5 linemen.

Dodge on the three blitzers and the runner; Wrestle on one Witch and Block on the other one.

Am undecided though if I should go 3 rr or 2 rr and Apo. Keep going back and forth between the two options and can’t decide. Thoughts?

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
I like leader on the runner, which lets you have apo and 2+1 rerolls. I understand that dodge is better for carrying generally, but leader brings so much utility that it's hard for me to pass on it. So that would solve both problems. :D If not then I guess I'd slide towards apo, although 2RR is not ideal.

Otherwise the build looks standard and your witches+blitzers will be nasty for your opponents. Good luck and have fun, please share your experiences here! :)

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
I had considered Leader, but it seems sub-optimal in this case to me.

• It isn’t easy to protect the runner when defending and it puts a big target on him, especially given that he has AV 7.
  • Dodge gives the runner some protection and makes him more mobile. It can sometimes serve as multiple rr too.
  • If the runner is removed from the pitch you can lose both a player and a rr together
If you had to choose between Apo and rr what would you go for?

To me the rr seems more useful in general, because the apo is less likely to be needed and can easily whiff on non-BH injuries. Obviously for cases where it brings a player back it adds a lot of value.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
As I said I might slide a little towards apo. 11 players probably won't be enough and apo patching up an elf is pretty big value. Sometimes it cannot be used, but neither do rerolls work every time. You've so much dodge and quite safe blocks, so 2 rerolls probably should be enough.

I'm still a huge leader fan and can't praise it enough. :D

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Yeah makes sense. I tend to play more conservatively with 2 rr too, which can be a blessing in disguise. It just sucks sometimes when you can’t afford to rr an early double skulls, or when you have to eat the rr’s early.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I would go for the apoth.
You have 6 players with dodge and 5 with block or wrestle so should be able to get the early turn actions done without needing rerolls.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Played the tournament and finished on 2 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses. Came 3rd out of 23 teams. Was happy with the result in general. Also scored the most TDs in the tournament with 6.

First game was a win against a Dwarf team. The coach was a bit inexperienced and I was able to put him on the back foot early when he failed the pick-up enabling me to surf out and CAS his MB slayer. Ended up winning 2-0 and was always in control.

Second game was a different story though! Faced a Norse team piloted by a good coach and decided to receive first in order to get some hits in on his AV 7. I couldn’t generate any removals though and my drive fell apart in his half when I rolled snake eyes on a dodge with most of the team marked up.

Lost the ball, but had a long shot to score on turn 8. Ball was on the ground in 3 TZs and only had a witch in range of the endzone, but faced by a wall of three players. 1 die blitz with the witch through the Norse wall - push and the pow. Then dodge and 2 gfis to the endzone. Dodge the second witch twice (all dodges were 2+in the sequence) and picked the ball up in 3 TZs (5+). Dodge out, gfi and hand off to a lino. Another Dodge and then 3+ pass to the endzone. TD!!! Didn’t even need the re-roll.

Second half I was down to 8 players and started losing more. He equalized around turn 3 and then pressured me into losing the ball again. Here he made a mistake though and scored on turn 7 rather than 8. Leaving me two turns to equalize, which I did by the skin of my teeth. Ended 2-2 but I felt very lucky not to lose.

Third game against Lizardmen against a good coach. Won this game 2-1 and felt in control most of the game, although he did come close to an equalizer at the end. He caused me a lot of problems with his Break Tackle Krox, but I was able to CAS out a saurus with a turn 8 foul which helped a lot for the second half.

Only used the Apo once to bring back a BH lino, but could have used it against the Norse on a serious injury and didn’t which was a mistake.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
Played the tournament and finished on 2 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses. Came 3rd out of 23 teams. Was happy with the result in general. Also scored the most TDs in the tournament with 6.

First game was a win against a Dwarf team. The coach was a bit inexperienced and I was able to put him on the back foot early when he failed the pick-up enabling me to surf out and CAS his MB slayer. Ended up winning 2-0 and was always in control.

Second game was a different story though! Faced a Norse team piloted by a good coach and decided to receive first in order to get some hits in on his AV 7. I couldn’t generate any removals though and my drive fell apart in his half when I rolled snake eyes on a dodge with most of the team marked up.

Lost the ball, but had a long shot to score on turn 8. Ball was on the ground in 3 TZs and only had a witch in range of the endzone, but faced by a wall of three players. 1 die blitz with the witch through the Norse wall - push and the pow. Then dodge and 2 gfis to the endzone. Dodge the second witch twice (all dodges were 2+in the sequence) and picked the ball up in 3 TZs (5+). Dodge out, gfi and hand off to a lino. Another Dodge and then 3+ pass to the endzone. TD!!! Didn’t even need the re-roll.

Second half I was down to 8 players and started losing more. He equalized around turn 3 and then pressured me into losing the ball again. Here he made a mistake though and scored on turn 7 rather than 8. Leaving me two turns to equalize, which I did by the skin of my teeth. Ended 2-2 but I felt very lucky not to lose.

Third game against Lizardmen against a good coach. Won this game 2-1 and felt in control most of the game, although he did come close to an equalizer at the end. He caused me a lot of problems with his Break Tackle Krox, but I was able to CAS out a saurus with a turn 8 foul which helped a lot for the second half.

Only used the Apo once to bring back a BH lino, but could have used it against the Norse on a serious injury and didn’t which was a mistake.

That was a nice read. Congrats for your results! 6TD being the highest amount in 3 game is very low! :eek: I'd presumed more teams would've reached that, and there seems to be those weird elf/skaven games with plenty of touch downs. :p

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
That’s because there were only 2 Agile teams in the tournament and they were both Dark Elves. The rest of the teams were all bash, hybrid or stunty! There was going to be a Skaven team, but he had to drop out last minute.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Grats on the result - always funny when a last turn desperation play turns into a TD.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Yeah, I don’t think my opponent was as amused though! :D

Elves can always pull off crazy bullshit, which is fine as long as it is plan B and not plan A! o_O