Small Town Screamers - Team Log

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Heh. Well, I'll admit to almost having made a "+ag as ballcarrier" advice in my post as well, but due to a nagging memory I went back to post 1 first and checked. :D

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
5th Game

A painful game between The Screamers and the pro elf Breathtakers

The near all-female elf team had been forced to hire in some eye candy in the form of a male journeyman to fill the hole left in their roster after their previous match. The Breathtakers put their hard-won experience from the previous season to good use, with many players utilising guarding techniques to help each other in crowded situations to try and negate the strength of the Screamers. The elves recieved first and were held off til the turn 6 before finally putting the ball on, but not before the Screamers activated an ancient rune of fear, playing with the minds of the elves.

The 2nd half was an all out battle, with the Breathtakers resorting to all kinds of mischief and a rogue blast of magic cloned the ball. Casualties started to wrack up with the Tavern Wench taking out an elf, then being taken out herself and ending up with a serious concussion. The teams apothacary seemed to be offering some rather unhelpful services today, something about "snuffing her out" and "taking her gizzerds", instead of any healing powers, and was told to stay away. Maybe she spat in his pint? But dispite the ongoing battle, The Village Idiot slipped the line to score, only for the ball he had to melt in his hands, dematerialising before his very eyes. The fake was revealed.

The Screamers were spurred on by this and The Sherriff killed one of the elves in revenge. His reward posters never do ask for live criminals... This sets up a bit of a division in the locker room, with the team captain usually being decided by who has the most skulls atop their locker. Now the team is vying between The Sherriff's code of law, and The Preachers code of gods... tough times ahead, but hey, that's Chaos for you. With the elves numbers depleted, The Screamers pushed up the pitch, but a lucky tackle by the elves got the ball carrier down and the ball loose. A dog then burst onto the pitch, dragging the ball toward the sidelines. The chaos team swooped, surrounded the ball with 3 players, but it seemed everything devolved into comedy as first a beastman failed a pickup, then an elf on the following turn, which triggered off a series of bounces that ended up in 8 failed catch rolls before somone finally grabbed the ball: the Small Town holy man, the previously defacto team captain, The Preacher. Although the elves swarmed him, he finally broke free in the last seconds of the match and hefted the ball upfield into the waiting hands of a team mate, The Candlestick Maker. The elves set up for turn 8 of the second half, last turn of the game, to try their luck at a bit of fisty cuffs. After a bit of pushing and shoving, and the chaos team laughing at their feeble efforts, they called over to the ref to signal time.

Although the perfomance won them no new fans, it did net then a hefty purse

To fill in the gap the team has hired the services of a local layabout

Final score:
Small Town Screamers 1 - 1 Breathtakers
casualties caused:
Small Town Screamers 5 - 1 Breathtakers

01 The Cryer - Minotaur - 21 SPP - Tentacle, Claw

02 The Mayor - Chaos Warrior - 7 SPP - Block
03 The Sherriff - Chaos Warrior - 7 SPP - Block
04 The Preacher - Chaos Warrior - 8 SPP - Block

06 The Butcher - Beastman - 9 SPP - Wrestle
07 The Baker - Beastman - 7 SPP - Diving Tackle
08 The Candlestick Maker - Beastman - 2 SPP
09 The Village Idiot - Beastman - 7 SPP - Diving Tackle
10 The Bar Keep - Beastman - 5 SPP
11 The Tavern Wench - Beastman - 8 SPP - Mighty Blow, -1AV MISSING NEXT GAME
12 The "Local Seamstress" - Beastman - 5 SPP

3 Rerolls
6 Fan Factor
80000 Treasury

So... all in all it wasnt a bad match. Still have those 2 beastmen lurking at SPP5, who refuse to pick up or pass a ball it seems, and the previously lackluster Candlestick Maker has finally made it off the mark.

The -1av for the Tavern Wench may be a hinderence, so i may have to slack her off after i get enough suitable replacements. On the plus side, after the next game i play i SHOULD have enough for the last chaos warrior and the wench will be back in action...

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
6th Game

this was the grudge match against the Unnamed Underworld, and the weather was perfect

With a gap in team ratings, the Unnamed's had splashed their inducements to stock up on on bribes, a dirty trick and hired the services of an infamous chainsaw weilding goblin star.

Winning the toss, the Screamers chose to receive hoping to take the fight to the uneasy alliance of skaven and goblins. With an early bit of push and shove, one chaos warrior made the mistake of stepping too far forward and got KO'd by a chainsaw for his troubles. The match got bloody, when the skaven took exception to Screamers stand-in journeyman - tearing out his throat with blood curdling screams of him being a "scab" taking work away from real hard working players. The Tavern Wench, out for the match watching from the side lines, looked on happy that she wasnt playing in his place. The match went on to became a real grind with The Butcher scoring for the Chaos side late in the first half, only to be answered by an on-the-whistle last gasp toss of a goblin taking the ball in to draw the scores even at half time for the Unnamed.

The Second half become a giant mess with tackle zones galore becoming a real headache for the Underworld side, keeping them confined mostly to their own half before the side from Small Town grabbed the ball of them to take it across the line. 2-1 down and the goblins and skaven went to desperate means to try and draw even, but their numbers dwindling, it was all against them. With the last few seconds of the game the chaos rushed forth to knock the ball free and almost score, with The Preacher slipping The Sherriff the ball, only to see him trip over at the goal line. With the whistle blown, the two players were once again seen arguing over who should be team captain

Final score:
Small Town Screamers 2 - 1 Unnamed Underworld
casualties caused:
Small Town Screamers 4 - 1 Unnamed Underworld

With a resounding grudge match victory, new fans have flooded to the team to demand tickets to the next match, which may even be against a much feared Lizardmen team. The Coach went nuts and blew a large portion of teams treasury on a night out, only to wake the next morning and find he had somehow been talked into letting the local blacksmith onto the team. Will he ever live it down... who knows?

02 The Mayor - Chaos Warrior - 7 SPP - Block
05 The Blacksmith - Chaos Warrior - 0SPP

06 The Butcher - Beastman - 12 SPP - Wrestle
08 The Candlestick Maker - Beastman - 9 SPP - Mighty Blow
09 The Village Idiot - Beastman - 9 SPP - Diving Tackle
10 The Bar Keep - Beastman - 8 SPP - Tackle
11 The Tavern Wench - Beastman - 8 SPP - Mighty Blow, -1AV
12 The "Local Seamstress" - Beastman - 7 SPP - BLOCK OR TACKLE

3 Rerolls
7 Fan Factor
30000 Treasury

After netting 50k winnings, it was all blown on the 4th chaos warrior, and now with the Tavern Wench back in action im up to full roster strength again, now with the added bonus of actually having someone on the bench! The team value is rocketing, so its something im keeping in mind

The plan was to use the last beast as a ball carrier ( block - > sure hands - > extra arm -> two heads), but after using a card to give tackle to The Village Idiot and watching tackle/dive tackle in action, its so very tempting to have a matched trio of killer and dive tackle/tackle duo on each wing to hold things down. Either that or use the minotaur as a pivot, and hold back The Butcher with wrestle as a backfield safety... options options options. The last thought that crossed my mind was giving The "Local Seamstress" Mighty Blow too, and replacing The Tavern Wench asap, but then thats 8spp down the drain.

Is an av7 killer viable?

guidance or thoughts anyone?

Purgatory

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I'd say replace him, you will most likely want to add Piling On to that goat at some point, and he will therefor likely be on the ground, with a big bull's eye for fouls on his forehead.

Further, he even lacks block now, so blockless, AV7 means that he will spend a lot of time in the booth rather than on the pitch. Get a new killer, and start with Block.

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
Get a new killer, and start with Block.

typically i'd go (as im sure many other people do):

mighty blow -> claws -> pilling on -> block

as their main job is to run round and hammer out the weaker elements of the opponents team. It really is a numbers game with bash sides, so the sooner i can get opponents off the pitch the better. That, and with horns i'll usually have 2 block dice my choice, the odds are stacked in my favour without the need for taking block

Purgatory

Super Star Player
Country Flag
typically i'd go (as im sure many other people do):

mighty blow -> claws -> pilling on -> block

as their main job is to run round and hammer out the weaker elements of the opponents team. It really is a numbers game with bash sides, so the sooner i can get opponents off the pitch the better. That, and with horns i'll usually have 2 block dice my choice, the odds are stacked in my favour without the need for taking block

True, but I don't think many would leave him alone on the pitch either. He'll probably be revenge-blocked and fouled if the opportunity is given. Block would help keeping him on his feet and living for as long as possible.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Block also makes him more useful if your primary gameplan is about getting the pigskin into the endzone, and killing is only a secondary gameplan meant to facilitate the performance of plan #1.

If plain "kill and maim" works for you, then more power to you, though ;) (Shows you've been listening to the Smurf)

(First ones to get two skills pick MB and become killers if one starts with block instead of MB - also gives more time for odd stat-ups that will become useful later to show)

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Sack the -AV killer and build a new one ASAP. -AV and -ST are just the worst injuries a killer can run around with. -MA is not as crucial, just gets him closer to LOS:D

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
If plain "kill and maim" works for you, then more power to you, though ;) (Shows you've been listening to the Smurf)

I have taken heed of such advice ;) And my league has halflings and goblins who have armour which appears to be made of rubber - so that +1 is proving incredible useful

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
you mean there are other ways to WIN with chaos?!? Im not sure i enjoy this revelation

Yes there are, it is very possible to make a nice passing game with chaos, or even a screen running game. And you have the chance to make one heck of a defence with beasts being able to take strenght and mutations.

Try having 6 goats with either block/wrestle and then guard, prehensile tail, stand firm and disturping presense. Thats a nasty base defence, then comes the ball stealer: wrestle, tackle, strip ball, leap and very long legs - thats awezome sacking capabilities.

Your ball retriever would then have big hand, two heads and with luck also dodge. Chaos simply is the most versatile team ever above 1800:powdodge:

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
ive played a decent pass game before, with no stat gain in our league, it would mean a lot of passes missed through rolling 3+ (3+ rerollable if i get pass on someone)... admitedly though, there would be a lot of scope for taking extra arms to make receiving and option

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
time for the mid season set back!

a grueling 2-1 victory over a much more advanced orc team (read 320k inducement) has left me in a bit of a tight position. 1 beastman is MNG, and 1 chaos warrior died... yikes. I held off sacking me av7 killer beast (The Tavern Wench) as i knew i'd need a deep bench in that game. Fortunately i managed her well and she didnt acrue any spp

heres how the team currently stands

05 The Blacksmith - Chaos Warrior - 6SPP - Block

06 The Butcher - Beastman - 15 SPP - Wrestle
08 The Candlestick Maker - Beastman - 14 SPP - Mighty Blow
09 The Village Idiot - Beastman - 9 SPP - Diving Tackle - MISSING NEXT GAME
11 The Tavern Wench - Beastman - 8 SPP - Mighty Blow, -1AV
12 The "Local Seamstress" - Beastman - 7 SPP - BLOCK OR TACKLE

3 Rerolls
8 Fan Factor
80000Treasury

so i've lost a blocking CW, skilled the new guy up to replace him, and have 1 player MNG

now... in light of getting the orc team "out of the way" for the run up to the next cup, i can happily sack the -1AV tavern wench. BUT i have 80k in the bank. Do i sit on it and buy a CW, and start the next game with 2 journeymen? Or do i buy a beast back now?

i turn to your wisdom

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Personally I'd probably hang on to the money, and either buying one of the journeymen if they MVP (or possibly if they SPP at all), or else getting the Warrior later.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
I'm inclined to agree, I don't like to be spending just to bring a depleted roster up if I'm still going to be less than 11 men, as you might as well be putting journeymen on the Line of Scrimmage, unless its a significantly developed league where you need skills as fast as possible.

Saving allows you to bring the squad back up in due course, in the right order - so I'd definitely suggest the CW first. If you bought a Beast and then lost another CW in the next game, you'd regret spending it.

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
fortunately another caveat in our league is that we choose our own mvp (as long as they played in the match - so no MVPing someone missing the game), so i can garentee the journeymen wont get it

on the plus side the journeymen will make useful LoS bait as my next opponent will be another ork team, albeit a far less developed one (tv about 1100), so i could potentially be facing a star player or two

Orient

Veteran
Country Flag
Following the current trend (to whomever started it: kudos to you, its a wise choice), i will be posting the updated team roster on the first post from now on

current roster after letting the Tavern Wench Go

current roster

05 The Blacksmith - Chaos Warrior - 6SPP - Block

06 The Butcher - Beastman - 15 SPP - Wrestle
08 The Candlestick Maker - Beastman - 14 SPP - Mighty Blow
09 The Village Idiot - Beastman - 9 SPP - Diving Tackle - MISSING NEXT GAME

12 The "Local Seamstress" - Beastman - 7 SPP - Block