Wayne's Underworld

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The team after 4 seasons

So Waynes Underworld just finished their 4th season with a nice 8/0/1 record and 1st place in div 4b. The teams lifetime stats are now 27/5/4, with two 1st places and one 2nd place to their name (I won’t mention the 6th place from season 9…;)). I put my success down to having a cool team theme (which Nuffle smiles upon) and a lot of luck with injuries, which has seen me lose very few key players and therefore often have a tv advantage over my opponent. I also was very lucky to get +AG on Heather in my very 1st season and it really gives me a lot more reliability and flexibility on offense.

This is the team as it stands:
1. Wayne Campbell (Wight) - +AG/MB/Guard/Tackle 69SPP
2. Garth Algar III (Wight) - +AG/ MB/Guard/Tackle 53 SPP
3. Del Preston (Wolf) – MB/PO/Blodge/Dauntless 96SPP
4. Christopher Walken II (Wolf) – Block 11SPP
5. Heather Locklear (Ghoul) - +AG/-AV/Block/Sure hands/Sidestep 72SPP
6. Weird Naked Indian III (Ghoul) - +MA/Wrestle/Strip ball 37SPP
7. Steven Tyler (Flesh Golem) – Block/Guard/MB31SPP
8. Jim Morrison (Flesh Golem) – Block/Guard 29SPP
9. Alice Cooper (Zombie) – Tackle/Block 25SPP
10. Dennis Dunaway (Zombie) – Kick/Wrestle/Tackle 33SPP
11. Neal Smith II (Zombie) – Dirty player 14SPP
12. Michael Bruce II (Zombie) 5SPP
13. Glen Buxton II (Zombie) 2SPP
3 rr, 13ff, 2cl, 2ac
540k gp and 2090tv.

I really like the team’s flexibility, being able to both play the bashing game and the running game. They are also perfectly suited to my choice of never stalling, as I can usually set up a decent defence for my opponents drive and hopefully recover the ball. But the team does seem to be a bit weak against the faster, dodgier teams. Luckily I don’t face many of those as OCC is mostly populated by bash, so I don’t have to worry about it too much yet.

I will be sitting out next season due to real life commitments, but will be back for season 13. My aim for this team is to make it to division 2 and hold my place there for a season (I have no grand delusions of making it to div 1). But for now I will sign off and perhaps pick up the thread again in April when season 13 starts.

Lastly, I just want to highlight how slow Flesh Golems skill. Both the FG’s were on the starting team and after 36 matches are on 31SPP and 29SPP! Luckily for me, they are pretty much optimal with just 2 skills (Block/Guard). For this reason I definitely recommend them on any Necro starting roster. so you can get those vital skills asap.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Really nice roster ! So much Agility... impressive. I've got one only on a single wolf.

As for the Flesh Golem... until they get their first 6 SPP its a nightmare. Both my original FG died. One skilled up fast with MVP/Cas... the other rookie I've gotten 6 straight :bothdown:. Very tiring to skill him up.

Doomy

Super Star Player
Country Flag
A wizard may have been a better choice than a bribe and a babe, but I need a Dirty Git award. ;)

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
A wizard may have been a better choice than a bribe and a babe, but I need a Dirty Git award. ;)

Yeah, i think a wiz/babe combo would have been much better than the bribe/2 babes that you got. But you didn't have a lot to play for as you would have come 7th regardless of the result of our game and thus avoid relegation win, lose or draw. Also, this was always going to be a tough match to get a result from given the tv difference between our teams.

As it was, the 2nd half was still pretty close and it could have ended in a 1-1 draw if i hadnt managed to get at your ball carrier mid way through the half. Perhaps we will face each other again when i come back in season 13? If the tv's are closer, it could be a very tough match.

Did you end up winning the dirty git award?

Doomy

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I have no idea what the Dirty Git standings are, to be honest. They haven't been updated, ever, so far as I can tell. Ozzie was giving it a fair crack, though.

And don't recall being assured 7th place at the time we played, though maybe I just don't check the standings often enough. They rarely give me the opportunity to bask in my own magnificence. In fact, I spend most of my time trying to ignore them. :p

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
WU will be entering div 3 of OCC after a well earned break last season (basically because i was so busy with work that i couldn't commit to 1 match per week). I did the same thing with them last year and then had my worst season ever, coming 6th for season 9. I think the reason was that i had forgotten how to coach them properly and im worried the same thing will happen for season 13. Perhaps i will watch a few replays of my old games and some of another Necro coach who is in div 2 and hopefully re-learn how to play with them.

The roster is looking pretty nice and i like the flexibility of my team, with some hardcore bash and nice agility/movement. So i think the team can do good things as long as i can remember how to coach them. Looking at the elo rankings on OCC i'm ranked 19th coach overall and number 1 Necro coach. So with those numbers backing me, i am going to try and make an impact by getting some big wins early on and also talk a lot of trash in the prematch buildup. :D

My only concern (other than relearning how to play as Necro) is my no-stall strategy. Its worked for me so far (lifetime result of 27/5/4), but i wonder that in these higher divisions i will lose matches unless i stall? I haven't yet decided whether to stick to my principles or else sell out in the hopes of promotion. And on a slightly less important note, i never tried a 1-turner in the past as i feel its a really lame way to score and would much rather get a TD in normal play, or not at all. But perhaps i should change my attitude there too?

The morality of BB... :p

There are so many team blogs around at the moment that i will try and differentiate mine by putting in a lot of screenshots. It seemed to work for my POTD article when i was writing for the CCC, so perhaps i can pull an audience with some eye candy. As the season hasn’t started, you can all be amused by this ven diagram showing the link between alcohol and karaoke here in Japan. As someone who has lived in Japan for many years, I can confirm that this is 100% accurate:
karaoke-venn-diagram.jpg

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
T8 one-turners you could skip in favor for trying to take out three or four opponents, but on T16 you should definitely be able to set up to try for a one-turner if needed to improve the result to draw/win.

Stalling is (imo) tricky to learn. Trying to stall has a lot of implications. If you want to learn stalling T3 might not be the best place to learn. (Unless you've already given up on promotion and are not risking demotion)

That said - sometimes it is worth it. And if your ballcarrier is completely safe, it might be worth it waiting a turn..

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
The trouble with stalling is, that I have seen it go wrong so many times for a few reasons.

1, At some point staller makes a misstake or rolls 1/36
2, The enemy rolls out 4+,5+,5+,4+,6+ and the ball is on the ground:p

I got a draw a few weeks back as the staller would not score in turn 15 but wanted to wait and then rolled :skull::bothdown: with no reroll left on the blitz to get free.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Learn how to do the one-turner. When you think about it, it should really be the epitome of your fast-scoring philosophy :p

It's not just about being able to salvage a result with the last throws of the dice, although that's obviously great - a turn 8 one-turner, when it comes off, is a psychological gut-punch to an opponent.

They'll see their hard-earned lead, usually an hour or more's worth of intense concentration, magicked away like it was nothing - and they'll spend the next set-up phase and possibly longer smarting over the injustice of it all, which can lead to further mistakes.

I say this as somehow who neither knows - nor has any intention of learning - how to do one myself. Only someone who's been on the receiving end... often :mad:

Best of luck for the coming season!

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
there are no morals in bb narly! plau ur natural game though as ur side has a very strong defense. most bash sides stall as they are worried they wont be able to stop a 2 turn td.
in saying that against elves and skaven if u get a man advantage and can stall the half out, do it.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
there are no morals in bb narly! plau ur natural game though as ur side has a very strong defense. most bash sides stall as they are worried they wont be able to stop a 2 turn td.
in saying that against elves and skaven if u get a man advantage and can stall the half out, do it.

Sorry, the words "Narly" and "can stall" can not be together in the same sentence. Try again.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My only concern (other than relearning how to play as Necro) is my no-stall strategy. Its worked for me so far (lifetime result of 27/5/4), but i wonder that in these higher divisions i will lose matches unless i stall? I haven't yet decided whether to stick to my principles or else sell out in the hopes of promotion. And on a slightly less important note, i never tried a 1-turner in the past as i feel its a really lame way to score and would much rather get a TD in normal play, or not at all. But perhaps i should change my attitude there too?

The morality of BB... :p

You got to be fracking kidding me! :

http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php?/topic/5211-hullo-elfy-people/page__view__findpost__p__81224

All i can say is... lol.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The problem of not stalling isn't as much about losing the game (since a good coach can be good on defense - especially speed teams) but exposing your players to more risk when kicking and the LOS.

I've had quite good results when not stalling... or stalling only 1 turn safely. Tigga also is right in that we should always play to win... if a stall only gets you a draw... then better score sooner and have more time to steal the ball on defense to score.

On the other hand... if your safe... the oppo is trying to hit your ball with all sorts of risky dodges and moves... that is good. I've had my elves massacre bashy oppos trying to stop the stalling.

But overall... Div 3 isn't likely to be a place where you will have an easy stall. If they can't hit the ball they will foul and hurt other players. Div 3 certainly won't give you an easy 1 turn TD... but just in case you should know how to do it. In Turn 8 I always setup as if that event where the clock will be turned back 1 turn might happen ... it happens once in a while.

Narly... as for coaching... your instincts will come back...

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Sorry, the words "Narly" and "can stall" can not be together in the same sentence. Try again.

LOL, considering all the crap I gave you in that POTD article, I can understand your response. Will therefore have to stick to my non-stalling guns and instead try and learn the 1-turner. But is it viable with MA8, AG3 and no sidestep?

Just checked out my division and 6 teams have at least 1 player with Claw/MB combo! Really bash-heavy and makes me wonder that I will have much of a team left at the end of the season.
2 Chaos
2 Nurgle
2 Orc
1 Dwarf
2 Necro (including WU)
1 Welf

Will check out the rosters and then post up my thoughts on what their teams are like, but I at least have played 4 of these teams in the past, so have a bit of an idea.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Lol, nah dont worry, do as you please obviously. I guess there is no single answer to the age old question; and deciding correctly when to do one or the other effectively is what separates good coaches from the rest.

On your division... wow. I was giving Dreamy some grief about our 4B being bashy heavy (just one elf, yours truly), but yours is really awsome!

Let´s make a bet to see who comes out with the biggest number of retired players after this season :)

Last edited:

bintz

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Nice to see that blog back Narly!

About stalling and 1TTD, do it!

1TTD aren't that difficult with M8, you don't even have to think too much about it. And ok, you only have agi 3 but it will be a complicated hero play anyways so it doesn't matter much, it just makes it a tad more complicated. As Dreamy said, in turn 8, it might be better to go for the throat and try to injure some more guys but on T16 you should definatly try it.

About stalling, I know you hate it. I personnaly use it a lot when I feel I can keep control of the ball, it's also a way to avoid giving a free set of blocks on the LOS right after you scored. I stalled a lot in the playoff, it almost cost me my drive in the finals since you can't really protect yourself against vampires but in the end it paid of, same in the semi against Vusfnuv chaos team. You just can't always do it cause sometimes you don't have enough guys left to protect the ball but if you can afford to spare a couple turns, that's how many turns the opponent won't have to score back, it also can force him to play sloppy and attempt stuff that he wouldn't normally: give 2 turns to a bash team to score back and they'll try some elf play instead of hiting you.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Narly... do you still get to use Strip Ball on your Ghoul ? I would think at that lvl of play sure hands would be over prevalent.