BBtactics Cyanide League

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
It would be really interesting and helpful to us inexperienced players if some of you would post a summary of your experiences during the league.

Coming from the man who won our last league:eek:

I think you should leave a critique of my matches and team build instead.:)

I'll put something together when I get chance.

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Coming from the man who won our last league:eek:

I think you should leave a critique of my matches and team build instead.:)

I'll put something together when I get chance.

Beginners luck. :D Also i had the benefit of Thanatos disconnecting during one of the league games, which meant i got all his SPP and money.

I found reading the self-critiques from the last league to be really useful! It gives an insight into the thinking and tactics of the other players and gives you an idea of what worked and what didn't. Really helpful for inexperienced players looking to field a team in a league.

N.

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
For the benefit of Narly...

My season? (some of this is straight copied from my midseason summary)

My first game was against Lizards. I was plagued by 1's all game, ususally on the easy stuff. An awful misclick tried to send a lineman dodging through 3 kroxigor tackle zones. This landed me with my first loss, although plenty of people looked ready to skill up.

Match 2 was dwarves. again nothing would go my way. Opening drive all I needed was for the pass to go forward to almost guarentee the score but instead it was fumbled next to a runner. second half went no better. I could not recover the ball despite freeing the ball 3 times, all the bounces went straight to dwarf hands. Things are now looking grim. No pass completions in 2 games.

I do pick up a catcher for next game though.

Match 3 was against Woodelves. 2-2 draw was not really fair for the elves. Due to failed pickups from my thrower etc, I spent most of my drives trying to stop the elves from collecting the ball near my endzone. A fatal mis-click gave the elves an advantage at the end of the first half, I hit accept before changing to a defensive formation, leaving a gap (from a ko'd player) up my left flank which the elves danced through to score. A greedy play from the star wardancer meant he dropped the ball instead of scoring, this gave me the chance to equlalise, robbing the poor elves of the W.

I now have 2 catchers and the team is shaping up.

Match 4 is against Rats. I put my first win on the board. I played them like I was playing dwarves. 2-1 grind and lots of casualties left BDH redeemed, the skills really coming in.

Match 5 was against chaos. They had no big guy and no guard. I had 2 with guard, ball handling skills and both teams had equal block. Its looking to be interesting. Despite having the guard advantage and throwing more blocks I just couldn't break those goats. My guys seemed to have developed glass backs for the game. The numbers advantage quickly went to Chaos and a frustrating 1-1 draw ended the game.

At this point I've got an ogre with guard
Thrower with accurate
blitzer with guard
blitzer with tackle x2
blitzer
catcher with block
catcher
A bag full of line men, 2 with smashed ankles as the Doc doesn't deal with the riff raff.

Not a bad team overall, they just don't follow through with results.

I bought more tackle as there were darkelves and gobbos to come. Add to that 2 orc teams and it will make for a tough end to the season. Unfortunately the darkelves dropped out after I chose a second tackle player and I didnt see another dodge player after the Goblins. Skill very much wasted. I'd have taken guard if I'd known Woody was dropping out.

Goblins was a 3-0 route. It wasn't very fair, he had 1 skill on the whole team and had to take a loner fanatic. I had 4 lots of block (2 with tackle) and some guard. It was never going any other way. This gave me guard on another blitzer as well as a tackle blitzer. Also got block for the other catcher. A nice looking team.

I could not connect to panda so that game was a draw. My final game of the season (as the last week is a draw against the retired Delves) was against an Orc team with quite a big TV difference. I received to start. Unfortunately a riot downed a number of my players to start, including my thrower. I had to scramble to get the ball with a lineman and didn't get chance to cage up properly. Due to a poor start and good pressure I had to score earlier than I would have liked in a very scrappy drive.

With 2 turns left the orcs sent a lone blitzer in scoring distance. I marked him and got multiple players between him and the endzone to shut him out. In a heroic effort the orcs had to GFI to get a hand off to their blitzer. He caught the ball, made 2 dodges (one into a tackle zone) and GFI to score! Didn't even need a reroll. I got that sinking feeling after that.

The orcs started the second half with a text book 8 turn grind. I lost both linemen on the LOS on the first turn and it went down hill from there. Than didn't even use a reroll all half.

Overall I faired much better against the speed teams. With these teams I played physical and got good results. With my other league team being wood elf I found them very mediocre when I had to rely on playing the ball. Missed hand offs, dropped catches, missed passes. Horrible. Where I thought I could get the edge with my extra guard the armour rolls wouldn't go my way (chaos) and I ended up outnumbered.

I don't think I'll play humans in a league again unless it was light on bashing teams. I'd much prefer trying to muscle the lighter teams, when I was outpowered I didn't have the ability to move the ball well and really struggled. I'm guessing this was more to do with my skill level, playing style and the culture shock after playing a lot of elves, rather than a problem with the human roster.

Wall of text over. thanks to everyone I've played, its been a lot of fun. Next time we do this it will be LE edition and I'll be goblins or Nurgle.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I believe I'm up against you this time Thanatos. ;)

Any day/time especially good for you? Just not Friday/Saturday/Sunday please.

Say Monday at 2100?

With 2 turns left the orcs sent a lone blitzer in scoring distance. I marked him and got multiple players between him and the endzone to shut him out. In a heroic effort the orcs had to GFI to get a hand off to their blitzer. He caught the ball, made 2 dodges (one into a tackle zone) and GFI to score! Didn't even need a reroll. I got that sinking feeling after that.

I actually had two within scoring distance, but you blitzed the carp out of one of them.
I won't deny that that score was quite lucky.

With only one guy within scoring distance I had to get the dude marking him off. The only dude in range was a BO who was marking an Ogre.
I had another BO knock over the Ogre and then blitzed with the other BO, if I hadn't knocked him down I would have needed to dodge :eek:

But the blitz freed up my Blitzer and my ball carrier had to GFI to hand off (2+/3+ as opposed to passing which would have been 3+/3+). The ball was caught and I managed to wiggle my way through the defence and pass my GFI to hit the line.

None of the dice rolls were outrageously improbably but all of them succeeded without reroll was amazing.

Sorry I never got around to writing the match report, I've had a busy week (though it was probably all for naught, I did poorly in an Air Traffic Controller exam :( ), but your summary pretty much covers it.
Though your first score was hard fought, and had the ball bounce another way it may not have occured at all (No thrower at the start more-or-less guaranteed that). It had a nice finish though. :D

Last edited:

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
Definately a good game Than, it had everything. A death, big plays and a close score. Could you ask for more?

Sorry to here about your exam. Can you resit?

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Definately a good game Than, it had everything. A death, big plays and a close score. Could you ask for more?

Sorry to here about your exam. Can you resit?

Well I haven't got the result back yet so there is chance i'll slip through. Though in fairness do we really want our air traffic controllers *just* slipping through their exam ;) If I'm not suited fror the job then it is best I fail early.

It was a good game though the second half seemed like a foregone conclusion after I KO'd two of your linemen and later injured a blitzer.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I see that the Multiplayer servers will be down for a week of maintenance and testing from Wednesday.

So we better have all our games played before then.

Murkglow

Super Star Player
I see that the Multiplayer servers will be down for a week of maintenance and testing from Wednesday.

So we better have all our games played before then.

That's not good and I have bad news. It seems this Monday I need to do some babysitting (I was just informed last night). I apologize for the further delay but could be move out game to Tuesday?

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Shouldn't be a problem though I have Hockey on Tuesday Night (from 2030 to late), can we start earlier say 1800?

Frenz0rz

Veteran
Country Flag
Frenzor

Can you play Sunday 20:00-21:00
or
Monday 20:00 - 21:00

Lee

I can likely do both of those, although my internet has been a bit unreliable today. Will mess around with my router, see whats causing it, and hopefully all will be good for 8pm tomorrow night. You mean UK time, yes? See you there!

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Bummer, port issues strikes back and with no match its only one point in a draw. The woodland elfs are very dissapointed not having the chance to win the last match and go of into the sunset with the title.:(

Frenz0rz

Veteran
Country Flag
Bummer, port issues strikes back and with no match its only one point in a draw. The woodland elfs are very dissapointed not having the chance to win the last match and go of into the sunset with the title.:(

Oh damn man, that is a massive shame. I was looked forward to reading the match report of the game that decided whether the Reptiles won the title or not. Makes for a slightly more hollow victory :(