Dear Coach: Any new articles? Suggestions and a Question

razor436

Rookie
Country Flag
I'm in the beginnings of a 20-team single player hotseat league via the BB PC gsme and I've been looking over your articles to understand some advanced game strategies and how to play and build each team. Very helpful thus far: some things you just can't learn playing against computer AI.

Any chance you are still writing articles? If so I have some suggestions:
  • When to concede a match
  • Kick-off Setups (like this guide: Blood Bowl PlayBook - General - Blood Bowl Playbook) and how to set-up with half your team injured.
  • Update article Introduction to Bloodbowl with actual tips for new players like first team suggestions, explaining that some teams are meant to lose most of the time. Also, if that is the first article that a new player should read, it is rather hard to find. A link to it should be placed on the front page. (probably not an article worth updating a all, but just my opinion on its current state)

And I hope you don't mind but I am considering transferring all your articles into one PDF file complete with illegal art assets and watermarks to make it a complete and attractive guide for all to use as a supplement to the rule book. It's not a promise I'll do it, but I'll try. Of course you would receive credit on the front cover.

Citizen Nev

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Another question would be...

If the BBtactics community wrote some articles and Coach vetted them, could they appear on the main site?

Juriel

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yep, I think we could do a community effort for a newbie guide. Which would link to the other articles a lot.

Start with the generic, straight-away Do This advice, and then split into 'and this is why and when you'd rather want to use a screen, and what it is, rather than an X-cage' discussions. So definite layers of complexity.

Citizen Nev

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Maybe a 'Why play (Insert Race Here) guide'?

EG - Why play Halflings? Because you're a masochist

Juriel

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
That would be the kind of specific headers under it, as I'd imagine it.

First cover the basics that affect every team ('if you're going to move somewhere anyway, do it before rolling any dice, because every roll will fail'), then go through the teams, ranked in some order of noob-friendliness (as much as we could agree on).

Then there'd be a Beginner's Guide 2: Begin Some More with the more advanced concerns, like discussions of screen vs cage etc.

Last edited:

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
There are articles submitted by other coaches and the information from coach there does indeed welcome submissions.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
I can answer one of the questions. When to concede? Short answer NEVER, always fight to the bitter end:powdodge:

razor436

Rookie
Country Flag
would anyone be willing to extend a helping hand for a blood bowl guide pdf file?

For now, I just need some feedback on the look that I think I'll be going with. I pretty happy about the main background image I've chosen to beautify the pages, but I'm not sure about the other formatting things like the font and whether 2 column look better than 1, etc.

I could also use some advice for the order in which the articles will appear in.

Here is the list I came up with, a few sections don't have existing articles, and are therefore considered optional. If you have ideas for new articles, just let me know.

Cover page
Table of contents
Foreword
Introduction to guide
Beginner’s Guide
Differences between PC game and TT game
Blood bowl Lore
Articles
  • Blocking Statistics and Odss Tables
  • Cage Basics
  • Cage Breaking
  • Bloodweiser Babes
  • Fan Factor and FAME
  • Inaccurate scatter shots
  • Journeymen
  • Kicking or receiving
  • marking players
  • mv6 one turn touchdowns
  • one die blocks
  • rerolls
  • the 2-1 grind
  • scoring strategies for teams (scoring many tds quick, dragging the clock, ...?)
  • Kick-off formations and strategies (kicking far or short) (defense and offense formations) (formations when half the team is injured)
  • When to concede a match (to prevent more injuries/deaths)
  • How to play any TV1000 elf team (bashy teams inflict 10+ injuries game1)
Skills
  • table of all skills
  • General
  • Strength
  • Agility
  • Passing
  • Mutation
  • Extraordinary
Teams
  • teams in general (explain the standard team styles)
  • players in general (explain how a player’s stats define what roll they play in their team, why some players are better off at level 1, player’s effects on TV, how a player’s role could suddenly be very different after rolling s double/+ST/+AG)
  • How to pick your starting roster article (explain how your starting roster could depend on how long the league is, the other teams involved in the tournament, general preferences for rerolls)
Humans
  • team roster table
  • Team
  • Players
  • Starting Roste
r
Print – friendly quick reference cards for common, difficult to remember rules and tables
Links to websites (games workshop, pc game, resources for pc game, strategy sites, podcasts, events in countries)
Credits

Recall this guide is meant to be a supplement to the rule book, and meant for coaches of all experience levels.

I'd also like to show an example of the docx, or pdf i created to test out formatting, but I can't upload it in these forums (~500K file size).

Last edited:

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I had planned on doing kick off set ups etc, though I've not got round to it yet. Also a shame that play creator got taken down which would have been useful.

[*]When to concede a match

I'm with Netsmurf on this, you should never concede.

What's your idea with the pdf, to take all the articles on this site and put them into a file? Not sure how I feel about that as I'd rather people were coming to the site and helping each other. People also can't ask questions easily in a pdf. On the flip side I can see a use for it when being offline...

kvasilad

Star Player
Country Flag
I had planned on doing kick off set ups etc, though I've not got round to it yet.

I'd just like to say that I would really love an in-depth analysis of kick-off setups. I've seen some mentioned here and there, but it still feels like a part of my game that is way too neglected compared to other things.

Various explained set-ups for different strategies that lend themselves better to certain drive approaches would be very very helpful indeed.

razor436

Rookie
Country Flag
What's your idea with the pdf, to take all the articles on this site and put them into a file? Not sure how I feel about that as I'd rather people were coming to the site and helping each other. People also can't ask questions easily in a pdf.

OK, I'll stop that project.

SorroW

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
People also can't ask questions easily in a pdf. On the flip side I can see a use for it when being offline...

I had an idea, a while ago, but never did put it forward. I think it is time to do that now though.

Why not link the articles on the site more closely to forums?
(EDIT: That is instead of the little comment fields under the specific articles, the readers would be linked to the forum)

Lets take a random team, Dark Elves. Then there would be a stickied thread on the forums containing links to the different articles about Dark Elves. And also links on the articles to the forum thread.

Since atm there are questions on the site, that could use the attention from the regulars here on the forums. And also, inviting more of the site browser to add their thoughts on the forum would be a good thing!

Just a thought.

Also. A starting rooster for the Elfs would be awesome. But maybe we as the forum goers could whip some articles up in threads, and then just get a stamp of approval from Coach.... to ease the burden a bit...

/SorroW

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Other common ones are replacing the thrower and one catcher with two linemen and either an apo or a fourth reroll, or dropping a reroll in favor for a second thrower and a third catcher.

The two-reroll one is a bit weak, though, and the four RR(or 3RR+apo) one is a bit slow.

SorroW

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Indeed. And the "Why" and "what happens when..." is why the articles by Coach is so good. He states the standard, and variations, and explains the difference.

Something like that would be extraordinary good! Both for Elfs and for Underworld!

Just saying that a straight "This is the bestest best startup there is!" isn't half as helpful as the full articles! :)

/SorroW

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
Indeed. And the "Why" and "what happens when..." is why the articles by Coach is so good. He states the standard, and variations, and explains the difference.

Something like that would be extraordinary good! Both for Elfs and for Underworld!

Just saying that a straight "This is the bestest best startup there is!" isn't half as helpful as the full articles! :)

/SorroW

agree 100%. The standard is not what everyone wants to do and thats part of what makes the game so interesting and fun. Variations give people ideas and help to put choices in perspective. (for example i'm obsessed with starting as many positionals as i can and start very reroll light as a result... probably to my detriment but that's what I enjoy)

I also agree that the community should be helping to write these. The first few articles were contributed in addition to Coach by 'Double Skull(?)', a veteran player I think. Can't put it all on one person to teach us the game ;)