Quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I hate doing this in the middle of a league but I'm really not enjoying this game at all anymore and need a break for a while, so I'm out. Sorry guys.. I'll stick to reading the courier and blogs for a while, I can do that without getting extremely pissed off.. which I can't say for games atm.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Pretty sorry to hear this Boffa... sad.

Happens to all of us getting pissed with BB... sure hope you re consider.

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
Sad to see u go, but I think we can all sympathise I was wishing I hadnt signed up for new seasons last week, and I think I will take a break once they finish. A break does the world of good and hopefully we will see u again in the future.

Crimsonsun

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My biggest regret on hearing this news is that you didn't decide to quit earlier (more specifically, before you had smashed my elves to the gound). :p

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Fuck man, I cant but feel some of my comments of the game with Etheric have a little to do with this?

If that is the case I must first apologize and then have to say that I didnt see anyhting in your moves that I wouldnt do myself quite often too, so hey. We ll always have Juriel or Nikolai to remind us all of that from time to time. :D

Stay! But if you dont, hope you stick around. A break from time to time is usually not a bad idea anyways.

Last edited:

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Thanks for informing us, I've sent out some messages to the reserve list to get this slot filled.

Hope you recover your mojo soon.

Regards.

GB.

Panda with issues

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Well, I have to agree with Narly.

Couldn't you have done this before handing me my most lopsided loss ever in a BB game? Well, non TT anyway...took some brutal losses learning to play back in the day.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yep. Very unfair, and I say that as someone who benefits in the sense that I won our game. On top of that whoever takes over is going to inherit your record, because you're not in a bad position at all. So they'll automatically be in a better position than a lot of the coaches who've been in from the start. EVERYONE gets pissed off at this game sometimes, and if you do come back, and get annoyed again, what's to stop you doing it all again?

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
I have another Broken Neck team waiting for you if we make the playoffs. Fun is just around the corner!

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Boffa, I have had quite a few matches where I've thought "what is the point in carrying on with this bloody random nightmare of a game!". It happens and it does of course leave a sour taste in your mouth that I think most of us can relate to.

That being said, I personally feel that by signing up to play a tournament like this, that means you are making a commitment to your fellow coaches. If everyone just dropped out, because of a couple of bad games, there wouldn't be much point to organizing a tournament in the first place.

Of course sometimes people drop out because of real life issues and that is perfectly fine, as real life obviously takes priority. I just feel that dropping out, because of a bad run of dice and a consequent lack of enjoyment is not very respectful to your fellow coaches (both those that you've already played against and those you are yet to play). Anyway, that's just my take on it.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yep. Very unfair, and I say that as someone who benefits in the sense that I won our game. On top of that whoever takes over is going to inherit your record, because you're not in a bad position at all. So they'll automatically be in a better position than a lot of the coaches who've been in from the start. EVERYONE gets pissed off at this game sometimes, and if you do come back, and get annoyed again, what's to stop you doing it all again?

Fair point, guess my CC days are over then. Sorry for letting you all down.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Fair point, guess my CC days are over then. Sorry for letting you all down.

I am going to go on a limb here and step out of the aparently common doctrine as stated by Panda, Barninho, Danton, Narly and a few others:

This is just a f.r.i.k.k.i.n.g. g.a.m.e. guys. We need to chill out. It is obvious Boffa is really loathing the game for the time being. I much rather prefer him to take a break now and come back later fresh than making him puke his guts out and possibly never return. This is just a frikking game. Who cares?

Plus that is why replacements are for. In a league for a g.a.m.e. where we have the luxury of having a few replacement players this should not be an issue at all. You feel it is "unfair" that he destroyed your team and his replacement is a "weaker" team that will be walked over by the rest of your Division? Tough. It is just a f.r.i.k.k.i.n.g. g.a.m.e.

Now, if this was happening at a rythm of 4 or 5 players per division on a weekly basis then I would understand your point of view. The way it is now... well, how many replacements have been needed so far? 3 or 4 in a league of 32 and we are half way through the season? Meh. Chill out guys.

I dont see why we have to "de facto" ban Boffa for future leagues as you have probably managed to achieve.

Personally? In the leagues I admin we have managed to have players accept a compromise here: My leagues do not frown upon players leaving if they so want. Real Life is already full of problems and worries to have a f.r.i.k.k.i.n.g. g.a.m.e. add to it on top by forcing you to do something you are really not enjoying at all. Whatever you want to do is fine with me. The only thing that we require from you is that you wait until we find a replacement player before you leave (unless it is an obviuous "Force Majeure" cause of course). It tends to work. Not 100% bulletproof but enough to make players leaving not a serious threat for the rest of the league. From the moment they think about leaving they know they have to consider if there is a replacement available or not and that helps. It usually gives us admins 1 week or 2 early warning to find someone.

Last edited:

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
All applications for future Crunch Cups will be considered individually by the League Commissioner.

From my own personal point of view, finding replacements only becomes a problem if there are a large number of them, and I do accept that there are a variety of causes and circumstances for coaches leaving.

I can also understand the feelings of other coaches in the affected divisions and the treatment of those replacements is something that I plan to review to find the most equitable manner of doing so, whilst still giving replacements a reason to join.

As such there is no one on the list currently excluded from Crunch Cup, if there were to perhaps be a serial quitter or some such, that might change, but I am prepared to give second chances.

If anything it is harder to deal with a coach that simply disappears than one who has debated the rights and wrongs of the matter and simply doesn't have the willpower left to beat the Nuffling.

I hope this is sufficient to draw a line under the matter for now.

Panda with issues

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I am going to go on a limb here and step out of the aparently common doctrine as stated by Panda, Barninho, Danton, Narly and a few others:

This is just a f.r.i.k.k.i.n.g. g.a.m.e. guys. We need to chill out. It is obvious Boffa is really loathing the game for the time being. I much rather prefer him to take a break now and come back later fresh than making him puke his guts out and possibly never return. This is just a frikking game. Who cares?

Plus that is why replacements are for. In a league for a g.a.m.e. where we have the luxury of having a few replacement players this should not be an issue at all. You feel it is "unfair" that he destroyed your team and his replacement is a "weaker" team that will be walked over by the rest of your Division? Tough. It is just a f.r.i.k.k.i.n.g. g.a.m.e.

Now, if this was happening at a rythm of 4 or 5 players per division on a weekly basis then I would understand your point of view. The way it is now... well, how many replacements have been needed so far? 3 or 4 in a league of 32 and we are half way through the season? Meh. Chill out guys.

I dont see why we have to "de facto" ban Boffa for future leagues as you have probably managed to achieve.

Personally? In the leagues I admin we have managed to have players accept a compromise here: My leagues do not frown upon players leaving if they so want. Real Life is already full of problems and worries to have a f.r.i.k.k.i.n.g. g.a.m.e. add to it on top by forcing you to do something you are really not enjoying at all. Whatever you want to do is fine with me. The only thing that we require from you is that you wait until we find a replacement player before you leave (unless it is an obviuous "Force Majeure" cause of course). It tends to work. Not 100% bulletproof but enough to make players leaving not a serious threat for the rest of the league. From the moment they think about leaving they know they have to consider if there is a replacement available or not and that helps. It usually gives us admins 1 week or 2 early warning to find someone.

If you couldn't see the humour in Narly and my posts, you need to re read them. Carefully.

On the other hand, as you say, it's just a game. So why take it so seriously, win or lose that you need to quit, or step away? Sometimes hilariously bad games happen, it's part of Blood Bowl, and in a lot of ways, it's part of the fun of BB. I do really think that learning to enjoy a good beatdown in this game is as important and fundamental as learning to cage the ball.

It's no different than other games which can go hilariously wrong. I've suffered utter destruction in warmachine, innumerable GW games, dominion, battlestar galactica, WEE, WiC, and squid knows what else. The point of the game is to have fun, and if you can't have fun when losing, unless you're a really good player, you won't be having fun about 50% of the time.

We've all felt like, at one point or another, Blood Bowl has become frustrating, and I hope Boffa comes back to play again, but as someone that has run numerous leagues for BB, and admined innumerable other games sessions, roleplaying etc, there is NOTHING worse than someone dropping out after they have made a commitment just because something hasn't gone their way.

I find this particularly funny, not as in HAR HAR, but as in HMM, THAT'S ODD... since Boffa had the most outrageous luck in our game 2 weeks ago. It's not as if everything has been going tits up for him.

As an additional point, when I first saw this thread title, I misread it as 'quilting' and was bitterly disappointed at the content.

Last edited:

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
If you couldn't see the humour in Narly and my posts, you need to re read them. Carefully.

Written text very often tends to come across as much more serious than it was really intended.

Great you see all this as just humorous then!

Last edited:

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Viajero, I understand where you are coming from, but to me there is a basic level of etiquette that should still be adhered to. Of course it's just a silly game that we all spend far too much time obsessing over, but by signing up to play a tournament in my mind you are making a commitment not only to your fellow coaches, but more importantly to Gallows Bait, the league admins and everyone involved in the Courier, who all sacrifice a lot of their time and energy to make this a fun event for everyone involved.

Just giving up, because of some bad dice and a few unenjoyable matches seems weak to me. If you think it's perfectly fine for anyone to just throw in the towel at the drop of a hat, then that's your opinion, but I don't share your view. Perhaps I am coming across as being overly harsh, but all I am trying to do is explain the way I see things in general, rather than wanting to be explicitly critical of Boffa. Like I said before, I sympathize with his turn of fortune and I do applaud him for at least being open and honest about his reasons for giving up. Given the anonymity of the internet it would have been far easier for most people to either make up a real life excuse, or just skulk off in silence when they got fed up.

This game may be trivial and frivolous, but it does offer some interesting lessons for coping with setbacks and learning to laugh at them, or shrug them off. There is nothing like a badly timed 1+1, or quad skulls to bring you back down to earth and put you in your place! ;)

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Deleted. Nah... I had posted a detailed answer to Danton. Not worth it. Sufice to say I still disagree :p .

I believe GB approach is the right one. This is a small league where every applicant can be considered on its own merits and there is plenty of room for second opportunities.

Last edited:

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
I don't recall saying that I was upset. I simply have a different view than you do. The internet makes it seem like everything that happens on it is frivolous and that there are no consequences to any of your actions. And yes, I have huge respect for all of the people who are putting their time and energy into making this a fun tournament, especially considering that they receive nothing in return for their efforts.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I agree with everyone... but Danton is correct in pointing out WHY one should continue despite setbacks or not having fun. There is a reason why OCC gives out those star awards for playing a complete season. Makes it easier on everyone...

But like Viajero said... why drag the poor fellow till Season's end ? If he makes it to playoffs it might be even worse. Been there wishing I lost so I could focus on RL.

At least Boffa posted and warned instead of just dissapearing. He is a good chap and chat... so hoping he makes his comeback soon to BB. Sometimes the game is more about the company here than anything else. Boffa fits right in with the CC spirit.. .he'll be back.

I sure am under a lot of time pressure now to handle 3 leagues... but during this critical month I'll just have to get around somehow to do it...

(Quilting Panda ? For nuffle's sake... man up ! :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.