Chaos Is it worth me getting a minotaur?

Ian

Veteran
So I've got a fairly new chaos team (I think they're four games into a league and went into THAT with one game played) and my line-up currently is roughly this:

• 3 Beastmen with no skills yet.
  • 3 Beastmen with Block.
  • 1 Beastman with Block and Tentacles*
  • 2 Chaos warriors with no skills yet.
  • 1 Chaos warrior with Block.
  • 1 Chaos warrior with no skills but is up to ST5 after I got the stat boost for his first level. Not sure if I should have got him Block but I'm a big strength whore if I'm honest, and hopefully his next level shouldn't be hard to get.
And I currently have 3 re-rolls.

* I realise, in hindsight, this was a mistake. I just got a bit of mutation giddiness.

After my most recent game, when the chaos warrior got the strength upgrade, I realised I had enough money to buy a minotaur, which had been part of my plan early (once I'd got up to at least 3 RRs.) I've played Chaos a lot in singleplayer so I know that minotaurs can be very hit and miss until you get a few skills on them (and even then, on a bad day), but with the chaos warrior I have with 5 strength already I'm wondering whether getting a minotaur would a) just give me even more muscle, which always comes in hand or b) be a bit of a waste of money. I do like minotaurs a lot in the game I'm just not sure if getting one at this stage represents good value when I could perhaps get an extra re-roll, or just save the money for when I really need it (replacements, etc.)

Thoughts?

VoidSeer

Veteran
I find the Mino is worth every penny invested.

I would however get an APO first.
If the league is long, I'd get an APO and save for a Mino as second purchase. Big Guys need to be in the team fast so they can skill up.

If the league is short, I'd get an APO and a 3rd warrior. Chaos play badly when outnumbered AFAIR.

Ian

Veteran
I find the Mino is worth every penny invested.

I would however get an APO first.
If the league is long, I'd get an APO and save for a Mino as second purchase. Big Guys need to be in the team fast so they can skill up.

I might have an apo already, but now I'm doubting myself so if I don't I'll make that a top priority. :)

If the league is short, I'd get an APO and a 3rd warrior. Chaos play badly when outnumbered AFAIR.

Well I've got four warriors already. I got as many warriors as I could as soon as I could because I like how they help control the pace of game that bit better when I have the ball. In single player (it's the PC version I'm playing) I've been using a set up with four warriors and a minotaur but I dunno whether that'd leave me a bit short for movement against a human opponent.

Only thing is with that if the minotaur does misbehave and refuse to move for a turn or two then the number of warriors means I don't have such a big hole in my strength levels. Of course provided I kept the 12 players I could always rotate a beastman and a warrior dependent on opposition/game situation if I felt the need.

VoidSeer

Veteran
My bad, it seems I can't count to 4.

If your mino is holding a key position don't move or block with it. It's plain simple, you can't fail a wild animal test if you don't roll it.

If you are desperatly in need of moving the Mino, use your blitz action to perform a simple move.

But make sure you get an APO first. Players like me will foul your Mino everytime the opportunity arises.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
If you are playing single player it may be worth just getting the Minotaur in order to experiment with them as you are new to the game.

Otherwise an actual answer could be either yes or no! With a ST5 Warrior you don't exactly need the strength (though it could still come in handy). I've not actually played Chaos with Minotaur (they used to be able to get Ogres) though I think they are great on a Chaos Dwarf team. Chaos can quite happily play with or without one though. The benefits of not having one is that they can be unreliable and the extra cost of them can be put towards skills on your players instead.

Agamon

Rookie
If your mino is holding a key position don't move or block with it. It's plain simple, you can't fail a wild animal test if you don't roll it.

Wild Animal doesn't remove the tackle zone like Bonehead and Really Stupid does, so unless you're worried your frenzy will put you out position, might as well try to do something with the mino. Doing nothing and rolling Wild Animal is exactly the same thing.

Ian

Veteran
If you are playing single player it may be worth just getting the Minotaur in order to experiment with them as you are new to the game.

Well that was what I'd done and was just trying to see whether a similar set-up would get me completely shown up against somebody who knows what they're doing better than I do. :D

I think I'll probably not buy a mino for the next game and see how I get on with the nice strength boost my warrior got against whoever I play next. It's only a short league (6 games) and I'm currently 4/4 so I might keep saving my money and decide what I want to do once the league's finished. Dunno. As VoidSeer says, if I'm going to get one it might as well be ASAP to start getting him some skill points. Especially, I suppose, as I'm in a strong position to win the league and if the minotaur flubs his lines I'll still be in that strong position.

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys. :)

RedDevilCG

Veteran
I personally like the Minotaur, but like most players he doesn't really shine till he gets a couple skills on him.

I recently had a nasty encounter with the Block, Claw, Tentacle, Piling On variety, and he managed to CAS 3 players alone that game :/

boerk

Rookie
I personally like the Minotaur, but like most players he doesn't really shine till he gets a couple skills on him.

I recently had a nasty encounter with the Block, Claw, Tentacle, Piling On variety, and he managed to CAS 3 players alone that game :/

I have a minotaur like the above, but without piling on (I don't want my mino on the ground) and he averages about 2 casualties a game.

Don't forget that a minotaur has strength 6 on a blitz from horns.

Kurgan

Rookie
Minotaur & tentacles

Minotaurs whats not to like ST5 with horns & frenzy. I tend not to set them up on the line but on the sides & go blitzing with them. Tentacles is a awesome skill (not on a minotaur, I would go for claws first) but on your beastman with block, just park him at the side of a opposition player & there going no where, most of the time. Really spoils the the other sides plans. I wouldn't worry you've not made a mistake with him you just need to use him right.

Last edited: