Perpetual league format?

Jbecks

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jbecks
Country Flag
Are there any plans to run a Perpetual league format at BBT? as in divisional league play?

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
Maybe this is something CTALE will evolve into?

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
No, there are no plans to run a perpetual divisional league at BBT (nothing is stopping you from trying to start your own though)

The feelings so far have been that there are enough perpetual divisional leagues already (like OCC, but also many others) and that none such is needed. If anything it is more likely that CC will go back to the roots of doing "all rookie leagues" - but for the moment CTALE is that touchback. (And is thus unlikely to evolve further in the direction of experienced teams, at least in the near future)

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
I like the idea of rookie leagues for CTALE and the free for all that CC is. True rookie leagues with no CTA before are a lot of fun but enough people play that you can split them up.

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
Amazons and norse followed closely by stunties are looking much more useful if we start looking at true rookie leagues. I would like to join such a beast.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Amazons and norse followed closely by stunties are looking much more useful if we start looking at true rookie leagues. I would like to join such a beast.

First 6 Crunch Cups were true rookies. The teams that won were: Dwarves (maybe expected), Lizardmen (twice), Dark Elves, Undead and Humans.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I agree with Kjel that current format seems good with rookies or near rookies in ctale and cc as a free for all where everyone can win at least in theory.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
From a personal point of view an all rookie league would have been my preference if I had been bold enough to change the format, as I feel it is a closer match to the ethos of the site as a place of learning. It's also worth bearing in mind that rookies are far easier to seed and deal with replacements, providing the league hasn't become so large as it did this season.

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
From a personal point of view an all rookie league would have been my preference if I had been bold enough to change the format, as I feel it is a closer match to the ethos of the site as a place of learning. It's also worth bearing in mind that rookies are far easier to seed and deal with replacements, providing the league hasn't become so large as it did this season.

Well commish, you're the man with the heavy hammer, it doesn't hurt that some people are also in favor :D

skullashtray

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
But some teams are much harder to use as rookies I feel like it would just end up with an overload of elves and no khemri and if just becomes all rookies what happens to the exp teams ppl have do they just retire

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
The teams enter the CTA and wait for the nect time a CC allows experienced teams. Khemri is actually a fine team for a rookie tournament:powdodge:

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
I think that's up to the other league's commish Skull. I don't think there is currently any affiliation though.

I don't really see a problem with rookie teams overall, but there is a sense of 'well i'm going to get to around 1400' that comes with it.

My friendly league did that for a few seasons, only rookies with new rookies coming in next season on the restart. It was refreshing to play different teams but development is severely limited and some teams just aren't that much fun to develop. "gee... should i take block? or... block?" Good for learning yes, but many coaches here are NOT 'just learning'.

That format favors teams that have early starting skills, cheap rerolls, cheap players that can get a bench, or all three. Teams like Chaos, Nurgle, Woodies (to some extent), Vampires, etc are disadvantaged trying to catch up to teams with good starting skills like Humans, Skaven, Dwarves, Norse, Amazons, and Orcs. I'm not at all surprised by the Dark Elves winning. They start with four blockers nearly always and have early access to dodge with agility 4. Similar with humans, and undead (2 blockers, 2 dodge, 2 str 5 and cheap rerolls/lineman). Lizardmen are the anomoly, but can start with a nearly full roster of strength 4 AV 9 monsters backed by dodge.

the 6 games in CTA set everything akimbo however. 6 games is more than sufficient to close the gap for some exprienced coaches and a little luck in winnings. It brings some diversity that i think is refreshing.

While I think I would still play if an All-rookie format was adopted again, I don't think i would play a slow developing team, and may not stick around after a few seasons of throwing teams away.

then again, I don't play in the OCC or any other 'perpetual league'.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Can cc teams enter any other leagues like say occ

CC teams can enter BBATTL tournaments. That is not a league as such, but rather a series of different tournaments organised by existing leagues and usually involving only ex-teams from many of the established leagues (OCC, UKBBL, SvS, etc). Some of the tournaments are thematic (ie only open to certain races) and most have some sort of TV cap.

Once you enter a CC team in a BBATTL tournament, I don't think you can bring it back to a future CC. Gallows will have to confirm that though, as I'm not sure.

Regarding future CCs, I think that letting old teams play and mixing them with newer teams, as in the current format is a good compromise, as it means that rivalries are established and there is a sense of continuity. CTALE is still there for newer teams to play short format tournaments.

Jbecks

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jbecks
Country Flag
would there be interest in a smaller perpetual league of only say 4 divisions or maybe 5 at the most??

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Might be, it would depend on the racial mix I think, if it was looking to be less bashy than occ might be a nice alternative.

Jbecks

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jbecks
Country Flag
maybe you could have a race ratio balance or cap...but how would you make it fair? The thinking of having a small league would be to keep it more personal so to speak with lots of rivalries.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Yeah thinking about it I like the idea of rivalries, they're more important than racial balance. We had a really nice atmosphere in our CC group this last season and recapturing that would be sweet. I'd be in. Just have to peer pressure people into staying away from AV 9 and Agi 4 :p.