How is Crunch Cup seeded?

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
I've looked over the rules, maybe not fully, and I've dug around the site and gotten mixed ideas on how this works. Maybe its just too confusing for me to understand.
On the one hand the divisions seem to be seeded based on TV. This makes sense. However I've also gotten the impression that the skill of the coach is taken into account to some degree if possible. I just wanted to get some clarification on how this works, that's all.

I'm also trying to figure out whether I should bring a rookie team to the next CC, or play some CTA matches, but as stated above, I was concerned that would effect me seeding. I'm just a newbie! I don't want to get crunched too hard, even if I am going to play Dwarfs.:p

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
85-90% of the seeding was TV (straight + "hidden"). The rest was "skill", based upon coach win percentage, team performance (win-draw-loss) and team credentials (a bonus for having peformed well in earlier cups).

That's all the clarification you'll be getting ;)
(Ok, "hidden" TV is things like "loners", "MNG players" etc.)

If you play some CTA games you get seeded higher. If you play CTA and CTALE you get seeded even higher. (Or if you play goblins or halflings you get seeded higher, to get inducements).
But on the other hand, you have an apothecary from the start, you have some more skills, some more players.. it's usually worth it.

Note - the next CC might have a different seeding system. TV will probably always play an important role though.

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
That's actually a pretty great explanation. It seems akin to the TV+ system in some ways. That may be a poor way of stating it, but I get what you're saying.

Getting an apothecary from the start never hurt anyone (or has it) and some guard will help me be a pain in someone's rear, so I'll take the CTA games for sure.

Limdood

Mega Star Player
Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
Country Flag
in general, you'll play people around your TV....you may play very very GOOD people around your TV, but for the most part you won't face serious TV differences until late Playoffs, or unless you level your players vastly faster or lose TV significantly (like player deaths) in relation to your opponents.

This means if you're getting in CTA games, then so is your opponent. You may be developing your team, but so will your opponents....not too big a deal if your opponents are halflings or UWD (sorry barm), but a much bigger deal if you face a necro team with a level 3 Block/MB wolf or something.

There are pros and cons to starting rookie and starting with CTA or CTA/CTALE games under your belt. Remember you starting with an apo because you played some games almost certainly means your opponents will have an apothecary by then.

Also, if you're planning on doing CTA, you may want to start more than one team, as the more prolific coaches tend to start and play 6 games with several teams, then pick and choose their favorite/best for CC

Last edited:

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
If you are desperate to get a low seeding to beat the system, ask Evil about his CC experience. I think he had fun, but he certainly would've benefited from a few matches of CTA (even if only 2 or 3) to get some core skills on his team. Sadly as almost any coach will tell you, inducements are fun, but not really a good equalizer (unless you're a hardcore stunty coach or taking bribes)

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
If you are desperate to get a low seeding to beat the system, ask Evil about his CC experience. I think he had fun, but he certainly would've benefited from a few matches of CTA (even if only 2 or 3) to get some core skills on his team. Sadly as almost any coach will tell you, inducements are fun, but not really a good equalizer (unless you're a hardcore stunty coach or taking bribes)

I'm not necessarily trying to "beat" the system. I actually expect the system to beat me, this is Blood Bowl after all.

Given that Dwarfs preform well out of the box and at low TV, I could see myself just putting a rookie team. They'll live without an apo for one game, and hopefully be fine, and if I do get some sweet inducement money it should be fun.

Who knows.

dubbs

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
dubbs
Country Flag
I'd probably make a team, see how the 6 CTA matches go. If well, keep them. Otherwise, drop them and stick a rookie team in.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
I'm not necessarily trying to "beat" the system. I actually expect the system to beat me, this is Blood Bowl after all.

Given that Dwarfs preform well out of the box and at low TV, I could see myself just putting a rookie team. They'll live without an apo for one game, and hopefully be fine, and if I do get some sweet inducement money it should be fun.

Who knows.

Be aware that it's probably three months until the next CC.
First one week to move teams to the playoffs league, then five weeks of playoffs, then five weeks of CTALE.. If you get six CTA games in during five weeks, you can then get five more games in the CTALE - and still be able to put a rookie team into the CC when you realise your first try was cursed :p

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Are you asking me to read a calendar for you? Because I usually live in a schedule divided into "today", "tomorrow", "rest of my life" and nothing more.

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
I just want to point out that Nik has confirmed a CTALE season 3. ;)

Recipe for Disaster, here we come!

Evil

Veteran
Country Flag

yeah I had fun!!

but I do recommend getting the allowed games in from CTA as it enriches the experience that comes from coaching a team that develops during crunch cup.

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
Well, I dumped about 6 teams into CTA, once they get approved, I'll start getting my fill of CTA games. The weekend is coming up, it's game time.