Human Please don't kill my Ogre with your advice

Alistair Hutton

Veteran
Country Flag
So, the last time I asked for advice on a player here he died 1 game later. I'm hoping lightning does not strike twice.

I have a Block, Guard, Stand Firm Ogre who has just rolled a double.

I could just not burn any brain power and take Pro but I like to agonise over my level up decisions so I'm more than willing to hear arguments for alternatives.

Like Frenzy, Dodge or Tackle. Or other crazy choices.

The rest of my team is

4 Blitzers with Guard, one with Grab in addition and one with Tackle/MB/Stand Firm/Dodge in addition (can you tell which one is an original member of the team?)
Accurate/Kick-Off Return Thrower
Unskilled Thrower
+Mv/+AG/Block Catcher
Wrestle/Dauntless Catcher
Unskilled Catcher
Block/Tackle/Guard/Fend/Broken Neck Linemand
Block/Fend Lineman
Lineman

Alistair Hutton

Veteran
Country Flag
Where do you play this team? Which teams are you facing?

Rock Paper Shotgun Divisions of Death.

A mix of Agility and Bash teams, slightly more bash inclined. my league this season was Human (me), Welf, Necro, Dwarf so almost a perfect cross section. The top division (which I am 2 down from) was Norse, Orc, Nurgle, Chaos

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
It depends how long you want to wait for him to get good.

Dodge keeps him standing as most of the people blocking him will not have tackle but you won't get the best out of the skill until he gets Break Tackle.

Tackle only works against players with dodge so I would prefer frenzy as it gives you a 2nd shot at everyone so will be useful more often. Also with ST 5 he is less likely to be following up into a 2D against block.

Pro saves on average 1 bonehead per match so isn't really worth it just for that.
It also lets you reroll pushes ( if you want to risk it ) but frenzy already does that and will save you from a double skull once every 5 matches or so ( assuming he blocks every turn )

I would take dodge with frenzy a close 2nd.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I agree dodge is a great choice, makes him better at what he does best, standing in the way and providing guard assists in the scrum.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Blodge Guard Stand Firm is more than enough. Break Tackle is not something you need to add (but Dodge does make that final pick more interesting)

Pro is also nice, but means you'll be inclined to do more than just try to stand in the way with him, which might be a bad plan..

Bebeto

Veteran
Country Flag
Tough choice between dodge and pro. I think I would go with dodge in the end because he will become a superb road block.

Last edited:

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
dodge is great for the reasons listed above. frenzy is aggressive, but dangerous on a loner (I like to minimise ogre blocks, not increase them). I have taken tackle on a pomb ogre before, and wasn't that impressed.
another option depending on the division is diving tackle. makes him so much more useful against the agility teams.
pro is also a good choice, but in a vacuum I would take dodge. blodge, guard, stand firm, mb on a st5 piece is always good.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah I had an Ogre with block guard, plan was always dodge on next double. Perfect Ogre then, like nuffle said building big guys to make as little loner/bonehead rolls as possible is the trick, and with these skills once he's in the right spot you shouldn't have to do much. ;)

Last edited:

Juriel

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Since you have Stand Firm already, give him Dodge. That makes him a righteous annoyance.

However, the opponent doesn't have to block him... Make sure he won't get stuck to one sacrificial lineman while the opponent goes the other way.

Limdood

Mega Star Player
Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
Country Flag
i voted for Diving tackle over in the DoD forums.

Sure diving tackle does mean he could end up on the ground and die to a boot.

but it also makes him the road-block from hell (excepting tentacles, which is unavailable)....he's immovable, hard to knock over, and now hard to escape!

Alistair Hutton

Veteran
Country Flag
i voted for Diving tackle over in the DoD forums.

Sure diving tackle does mean he could end up on the ground and die to a boot.

but it also makes him the road-block from hell (excepting tentacles, which is unavailable)....he's immovable, hard to knock over, and now hard to escape!

I appreciated and thought about the Diving Tackle option but I decided, as Humans that his Guard was too useful so decided to keep him standing with Dodge.

Limdood

Mega Star Player
Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
Country Flag
yeah, the point with DT was that if he's USING the DT, you should have at least very high odds of a turnover (at least 50% vs. an elf, which is dubious, but worth it in a pinch, and 66% chance to turnover an AG3 player) and sometimes even a guaranteed turnover (if they already used their dodge or team RR) which means you get his TZ right back....except for the fact he has to make a 2+ BH roll to stand back up, which would be the only thing holding me back from taking DT as a no-brainer.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Make sure he won't get stuck to one sacrificial lineman while the opponent goes the other way.

That is what makes Break Tackle a nice pick if he should level again. At least the sacrificial lino needs to have tackle to be reliable enough :p