Wood Elf Lorren Lightning OCC S20 4A

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Another season dawns.

I prefer one thread per season, makes it a bit more orginised than the 80 page volumes you get otherwise, but maybe it is just me.

First Season
Second Season

Starting Team

Tree : Block, Grab, +1MV
WD : Strip Ball, Tackle
WD :
Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge
Thrower : Strong Arm, Dodge
Catcher : Block,SS,Guard,Fend
Catcher : Block,SS
Catcher :
Catcher :
Line : Wrestle, niggle
Line : Wrestle,dodge
Line :
3RR, apo, 7 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach

This time we are in Div 4A with the following teams

Division 4A

welf.png
Etheric - Lorren Lightning - Wood Elf -
chaos.png
Klemente - BIZARRE KAOS - Chaos -
flings.png
BrotherKane - Moot Maltesers - Halfling -
delf.png
Milker - Exit - Dark Elf -
pelf.png
stuartddj - Guards of Babylon - Elf -
vamps.png
Wappe - The VampOC - Vampire -
khemri.png
super flea - toot and come in - Khemri -
orc.png
DrHealex - The Greenbacks - Orc -
delf.png
cookie6866[/img] - 50 Shades of Grey - Dark Elf -
chaosdwarf.png
Stygger - Visa Hattarna! - Chaos Dwarf -

Current team
ImageRoster.aspx

Results
ImageMatch.aspx

Damage
ImageInfirmerie.aspx

Last edited:

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
ImageMatchReport.aspx

Game 1 was a wierd one to be honest, started rather like my game with Juriel last year (finished the first half with 3 on the pitch), was 5 or so players down by turn 4 (overall he was +23 on breaking armour)

He drove slowly and a bit sloppily, and I did manage to hit the ball carrier on T6 or so and steal the ball, could not make it stick though and only a misclick really stopped him scoring in the first half so we finished 0-0 at half time.

I lined up the 2nd half with 6 players, and managed to get a slightly lucky 3 turn score.

He then steamrollers a TD in on T15, and with 5 defenders and a tree that roots first action not much I could do to stop it. I did manage a 2d uphill strip which convinced him to score on T15 rather than stall another turn.

Then I managed a bit of elf magic, and a quick snap combined with some good d6 and I did a 1TT with my wardancer. Was fairly easy to get 2 pushes the way he set up but needed a leap and a dodge and 2 GFi as well as a 3+ handoff (needing that was a mistake by me saw the 1TT a bit late, 2 pushes after a quick snap is not so hard).

There was a riot the next kickoff but all he managed was to spat my LOS and get a foul in

a 2-1 win but with my dead apo dead catcher star catcher and the crazy dice not sure what to make of it all.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Nice seeing you around again.

Fear the halflings.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Nice seeing you around again.

Fear the halflings.

Hehe, thanks. Does make me think I should play dark elves or high though :D. Was such a random game, nuffle almost handed him victory 2-1 or 2-0 with the early cas and slightly below average KO recovert but I got enough lucky d6 to win it. Both my TDs were pretty much BS d6 fests, with a long string of 2+ or 3+. Overall I was only +7 on the d6. Getting snake eyes on the winnings did not help.

Ah well at least I won I guess :D.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Good start Eth... was looking at your roster. MA3 Block tree! Amazing Throwers... and good catchers too. But that one with Sidestep instead of Fend it should have been Diving Tackle no? :D

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Good start Eth... was looking at your roster. MA3 Block tree! Amazing Throwers... and good catchers too. But that one with Sidestep instead of Fend it should have been Diving Tackle no? :D

The idea of Fend was to keep him alive, but did not work as he died in the first game :D. Just to get some protection from piling on etc. Why diving tackle? Love it on pro elf bliters less of a fan on wood catchers.

With my most experienced catcher dying last game got one with block and SS and two rookies. My one surviving one did get a skill last game though. Shame I only got 20k winnings as well (snake eyes).

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Block Sidestep Diving Tackle is pretty much like why you let goblins take sidestep and diving tackle - they shut down things nicely.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The idea of Fend was to keep him alive, but did not work as he died in the first game :D. Just to get some protection from piling on etc. Why diving tackle? Love it on pro elf bliters less of a fan on wood catchers.

With my most experienced catcher dying last game got one with block and SS and two rookies. My one surviving one did get a skill last game though. Shame I only got 20k winnings as well (snake eyes).

Fend is cursed I tell you. Same thng happened to me with the Ladies. My first Catcher to get Fend (Wrestle, Dodge, +MA, SS, Fend) died right in the game after picking Fend.

DT/SS is pretty handy to tie down ball carriers (or anyone else for that matter if needed). Specially if you position the rest of the team in a way to limit your opponent opportunities to tackle/wrestle blitz him away. It has definitely given me a decent amount of ball steals. MA8 is perfect to be able to tag most everyone in the field. The key I think is not to just use him willy nilly but to screen him until the moment comes for a "mark attack".

Why on WE catchers? Because they are the only ones (other than WD) in the team that will reliably get to the 31 spp mark to get the necessary skills. WD can be also very effective at SS/DT but that d expose them to more hits that you d like in such an expensive piece. Barring doubles WD at 31 spp in my teams should be SS / Tackle / Strip Ball or Dauntless / Tackle / Stripball. Although you can consider ignoring Strip Ball and going straight for a SS/DT WD at 16 spp, it can be as effective as Strip Ball at stealing but it ll delay Tackle a bit.

As a rule of thumb if your league is dominated by agile teams then go then the classic WD with Strip Ball / Tackle / SS is probably better. If there is more bash than agile then SS/DT can indeed pay off.

Last edited:

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Yeah had really good fun with pro elf blitzers with dodge and diving tackle. They normally take a battering though and with one less strength and one less AV not sure about using catchers for this, at least right now, when I am low on players and cash.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Ok got +1mv for the rookie wardancer. In hindsight did not check if it was 6+4 or 5+5 which was not the best idea, mighty blow would have been useful too. Took fend on the catcher, as I wanted a lot of fend anyway to see how it goes.

WD : +1 MV
Thrower : Strong Arm, Dodge
Catcher : Block,SS,fend
Catcher :
Catcher :
Line : Wrestle, niggle
Line : Wrestle,dodge
Line : MNG
3RR, apo, 8 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach
10k in the bank, unless someone else dies, will get another catcher if/when I can afford it

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
And match day 2, and my opponent gets the nuffling of the century

ImageMatchReport.aspx

He infliced 2 cas, killing a lino (who had a niggle anyway) and a catcher (my 2nd dead apo dead :( ), but at least I got a 6 on the winnings to hopefully give me enough for a rookie catcher next game.

Barmution

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Barmution
Country Flag
I just threw up a little in my mouth. Then I sharted a little in my pants. Woodies ruin everything. :(

But seriously, gratz to you Etheric for pulling off such a ridiculous result. Glad I wasn't your opponent, though...

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Yeah when those sorts of games go against you is not much fun. He lost a dead thrall with 2 skills, but the rest was mostly BH which is the main thing. I remember a game vs juriel which went similar. Basically I had no players left and could not do anything. When you go down players, it gets tough, particularly vs wood elves who can steal the ball and score so easily.

Credit to the guy though he did keep trying to score, which was good. It also made it easier to steal the ball.

Brief writeup of the first half was he won the toss and decided to kick. I managed a relatively simple 2 turn score (did not see the point of stalling, as I thought I had a decent chance of stealing the ball at least once).
The next kickoff was a pitch invasion which left him with I think 3 players on their feet (I had +1 FAME, but was still crazy). I had 1 wardancer down. He tried to do something with the ball and flooded the backfield. The key next turn he then proceded to burn his RR on a dodge, then got :skull::skull: for a turnover trying to keep the ball safe. Then I just had to pick up the ball and score for 2-0.
The next drive was a high kick IIRC and he got is agi 5 vampire under the ball to play quarterback, while the other vamps went forward. I just screened as I was happy with him to go for a 2 turn TD (requiring quite a few d6 on the way) either he scores and I get the chance to be 3-1 at half time or something goes wrong and I should have the chance to steal the ball. He passed the ball over a wardancer, completed the pass and made a break for the endzone, failing the GFI required to score. I then scooped up the ball and ran it back the other way for a 3-0 score at half time.

By this point he had very few players left (was a total of 8 cas, 2 KO in the game), so found it hard to secure the ball. He tried a few times to make another passing play, but when his agi 5 vamp got injured as well become quite difficult. When you get such horrible dice anyway it is hard to keep focused. The 2nd half was him playing 6 vs 9-11 and getting the ball stolen a lot.

Not quite sure what the next match is, need to decide to carry on with 9 players or buy one. Don't want to put my lvl 4 lino on the LOS so having 2 loners and the tree on the LOS could be ok as well.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Ok decision time 2 skillups. Accurate on the other thrower was pretty easy choice. Current team is

WD : +1 MV ** normal roll **
Thrower : Strong Arm, Dodge,accurate
Catcher :
Line : Wrestle,dodge, ** normal roll **
Line :
3RR, apo, 9 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach, TV 1620 excluding loners, 1760 including.

Also got 90k in the bank. Tempted to get a 3rd catcher with it

For the lino probably will get tackle, to have a wrackler. Wardancer probably strip ball again or tackle. Actually tackle is an easy choice there for the lino.

Next game is stuarddj's pro elves, which makes me think another catcher will be needed, then we can play some real elfball, and try to make it 4-4 final score. He has got a crazy amount of guard though, is nice pre elf team.

So right now thinking getting two tackle players, and buying the 3rd catcher.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Ok MD3 ends on T5 with a crash and I decide not to be a Jerk and take the 1-1 draw rather than the 3-1 win as we can't reshedule.

Any game with no perm injuries and some spp and cash is a good one right :D.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
ImageMatchReport.aspx

Interesting game vs orcs who play a passing game. Not sure it is really effective long term, but worked in this game.

Made a few mistakes, should have defended better in my turn 7. His ball handling was pretty good though, but he did miss one 3+ with a RR and with the cas was tough.

Playing orcs with some diving tackle makes it tricky as well. A few times missed that I was dodging away from the DT dude, which is not good.

Another brutal game taking 5 cas from 18 injury rolls. My only decent lino took a -av as well after another mistake from me.

Whole game was played in heat, and I think I got the worst of it as well.

Anyway team is now

WD : +1 MV, tackle
Thrower : Strong Arm, Dodge,accurate
Catcher :
Catcher :
Line : Wrestle,dodge, tackle -av, MNG
Line :
3RR, apo, 8 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach