Other games I play

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
What is Kickstarter?

As for me, back in the days I used to play RPGs and Wargames, plus lots of other TTs at my games club.
I continued with WH40K till approximately 10 years ago, then discontinued to start a new and more expensive hobby: gliding, which took all my time and money resources.

Now I continue playing mostly with PC games FPS.

And obviously BB.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Grandmaster in SC II, damn that's impressive, I also really like the idea of playing Skyrim in self impsoed hardcore mode, might try that.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
@Silfuin, Kickstarter is a crowdfunding platform that a lot of game developers (electronic and physcial) have been using to fund more esoteric projects. I've supported a couple of titles, as have a lot of other BBTers

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
What is Kickstarter?

As for me, back in the days I used to play RPGs and Wargames, plus lots of other TTs at my games club.
I continued with WH40K till approximately 10 years ago, then discontinued to start a new and more expensive hobby: gliding, which took all my time and money resources.

Now I continue playing mostly with PC games FPS.

And obviously BB.
Do you mean hang gliding?

I'm too old for FPS games myself (unless its single player ones like Half Life) - give me old time turn based any day! :eek:

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Not sure what Silfuin meant but I was into glider planes at uni for a bit, so awesome to fly something so quiet but still nimble.

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
Oh man. Ive been playing games so long the list is nearly endless. Used to use the old cable to cable link and play command and conquer and Quake in my buddies basement. D&d ive been ina game nearly nonstop since highschool (not the same game but A game).

Currently pathfinder every two weeks, smallworld, munchkin, skyrim, gw2 once a week, candyland(with my daughter ;)).

I also was a serious WOW player. A warrior tank for all content until Cataclysm and a rogue in3s and 5s for arena as soon as that started. I am also glad to have that time back. Being first chair is a lot of work.
I remember master of orion ( i think there is a current remake actually, Werebat knows which one it is now... I want to say its called Orion). Great game.
Nethack(moria) to Pools of radiance to skyrim is my rpg progression on pc... Think about that a second. Lol!

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Gliders, not hang-gliers. I think that's the same as TS calls Glider Planes.
That is a hobby which takes up much time and resources, but the rewards are spectacular.
Thermalling with hawks and eagles, or ridge soaring high speed along a mountain, and travelling hudreds of kilometers without engine.
It's exhilarating and sometimes you feel you are truly on top of the world.

Winter comes though, and in winter in this part of Italy I am not doing much, so the PC games come out.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Played quite a long list of stuff.

Probably the most I have played is World of Warcraft. Played that for years, from when it launched in the Europe until the Lich king on and off. Taking raids into Molten Core was great fun, then the 10 man raids with a tight group. It is a horrible horrible time sink though and not going back to that or anything like it ever. The politics was horrible though, a lot of work holding it all together.

Not played that much board games, would like to play more if I can find the time, but it is not always easy for sure.

Recently played Xcom, EU IV (which is awesome, but takes such a long long time to play as well) and other bits and pieces. I have been going back to some of the retro D&D games as well, like eye of the beholder, Secret of the silver blades, Mezobarran (sp?) recently. Will see how it goes. In general like playing computer RPGs (but still need to finish the witcher!). Got a few more in various kick starters as well (wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Torment : Tides of NUmenera). Just need to make some time to finish them all :D.

Played SC2 as well when it came out, but probably only a silver player to be honest, need to practice somewhat :D.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I'm a bit of an old school war gamer geek with TT games like Advanced Squad Leader or Anzio. And also old diplomacy games such as Republic of Rome. Then progressed onto PC war games like the classic Combat Mission and more recently Combat Mission 2, some of the best and more realistic WW2 tactics games I've played.

Other than that I've done my share of space sims (x wing serijes), the Civ saga, and the c&c series when the first rts games came out etc. more recently I'm an addicted to L4D2 and Natural Selection 2.

But my all time favorite would have to be Dominions (3 and now 4), best strategy / diplomacy turn game in a fantasy setting ever. Graphics are not much but its depth and possibilities is tremendous.

Last edited:

nige22

Veteran
Country Flag
I play a lot of PC games: Civ 5, L4D2, Borderlands 2, Pro Evo, to name a few, plus a whole load that I bought but never completed. I watch a lot of SC2 tournaments but I can never play more than a few games myself before I lose patience with how terrible I am at it.

I play board/card games most weekends. At the moment the favourites are King of Tokyo, Smash Up and Avalon, and my all-time favourite Agricola. Also a big fan of poker.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
But my all time favorite would have to be Dominions (3 and now 4), best strategy / diplomacy turn game in a fantasy setting ever. Graphics are not much but its depth and possibilities is tremendous.

Hmm that I have never heard of. Added it to my steam wishlist, will try ot make the time to give it a go.

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
I picked up Dominions 4 a month ago, it is a very fun little game although hard to get into. I also found a PDF manual which was around 500 pages long if I remember correctly.(And it still didn't explain what I wanted to find out.)

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I picked up Dominions 4 a month ago, it is a very fun little game although hard to get into. I also found a PDF manual which was around 500 pages long if I remember correctly.(And it still didn't explain what I wanted to find out.)

Hehe, yes it is one of the thickest manuals I ve ever seen. But dont be too scared. I d say that more than 450 page sin it is just the description of the races spells etc. Only the very first part is actually about the game mechanics.

The game has a serious learning curve. And the very outdated graphics dont help. But if you can get past that you ll find one of the most rewarding 4X, diplomacy, turn based games ever.

The game forums are full of tips and tricks and tutorials for most races, some more than others but hey. The Dom4 forum has moved away from the old Dom3 one so that is why it may seem a bit too young atm. But the fact that a game with such an old GUI and graphics has managed to survive this long attest to its playability and fun.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum

Last edited:

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
If we can get 4 or 5 players here interested I can try and organize a rookie game!? I have not played dominions for more than a year, so since Dom4 is also quite new I shall consider myself a rookie again tbh... :D

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
give me a bit more details on how the multiplayer works and sure.

Half tempted by EUropa Universalis multiplayer, but that one would take weeks to finish

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
give me a bit more details on how the multiplayer works and sure.

Half tempted by EUropa Universalis multiplayer, but that one would take weeks to finish

Multiplayer is based on Play By E-Mail (PBEM). Player orders in game are saved in a file that you need to submit to a central admin server. All the player turn orders are processed simultaneously (WE-GO, as opposed to I-GO-U-GO) and the outcome produces another file send to you by the server so you can load up, see the outcome of the previous turn orders, and then you play the next turn etc.

Typically the games are played on the basis of at least 1 turn per week, although in the first few turns there is not really much to do, and things go usually faster. Games are long in terms of real life time duration since they can be anything from 25 turns to 100+ to have a winner, depending on how it goes.

Although games can be long, the actual time commitment is relatively low in general as you can see, and if players are able to play more than 1 turn per week then things can go relatively fast(er).

If we have enough interest I ll arrange the game and post a list of instructions about what to do, step by step.

Last edited:

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Just finished the Space Hulk campaign - overall the game is much like the board game. Its to easy to win as Marines, but I guess I will end up buying all the DLC when they come on sale. It is an ok game for a rainy day:powdodge:

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Feel free to holler about it if it is a big sale.