Amazon 'Fixing' the Amazon team.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Put that torch and pitchfork down! I'm not saying they're underpowered.

No, the problem rather seems (I think we'd mostly be in agreement here) that their effectiveness is too concentrated towards the lower end of the TV spectrum: somewhat too easy to win with out of the box, somewhat too difficult to keep alive when even the Elves have starting picking up Tackle and Block.

Secondarily, but relatedly, they're just a bit.. dull.

Further to S1nner's request for a new Amazon team, then, I thought it might make for interest, diversion, hopefully even discussion among the esteemed minds that frequent theses boards: how do we fix the Amazons?

My own thoughts are that much can be achieved with two relatively minor and one relatively major changes to the roster. This is what I managed to throw together (instead of doing more worthwhile things, naturally, such as making the world a better place):

newamazons2.png

The change in re-roll price is to discourage the 'laundry list' approach to team building with the Amazons. A fresh Amazon team can have

* 4 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 2 Catchers, 3 Linewomen, 3 Re-rolls
* and a substitute, apothecary, or an extra re-roll

and still have change from 100k, for Nuffle's sake! It's the smaller part of why they're so effective at 1000TV (the larger part is obviously all that Dodge), but it's the part we can change without fundamentally messing with the structure of the team.

What's also bad is that taking everything you want, simply because you can, means as the season progresses you have no interesting choices about what to spend match earnings on. Very boring. It's just the apothecary/fourth re-roll then subs, subs, subs. This (and the Big.. Gal, to whom I'll come in a moment) are intended to fix that.

The thinking behind the Catchers is that a small injection of pace gives the team a little more tactical opportunity on the field. At present, they're a running team that can't really outrun even the slower opponents. Fast Catchers give you good candidates for grabbing the ball outright, receiving it from a pass or hand-off, making dummy runs to stretch the opponent's defence, or converting into decent safeties for defensive duty. Lower armour reflects the trend in faster players across the board in BB. They're more expensive as per the rules of Jervis Johnson's player builder.

The inspiration for the Ogrette came in part from Bertha Bigfist (the female Ogre star player) but mainly from the Yhetee and Rat Ogre that are often employed at high TV to take some pressure off the more fragile members of their respective teams. To be effective in this role she needs a few things :

* to be armour 8, in keeping with the relative squishiness of the team
* to be expensive enough that coaches can't just take her from the off without sacrificing re-rolls and positionals

and to justify that price she therefore needs an extra skill on the regular Ogre. I couldn't decide what, so I'm turning it over to the board. Without Wild Animal, Frenzy is out. My thoughts were:

Dodge
Pros: in keeping with the team theme; novel; adds value but (at AG2) without being too overpowered.
Cons: violates player building rules on big guys; one double and the player is a Blodging monster; a skill re-roll (goes against the spirit of Loner players).

Wrestle
Pros: a Big Guy hitting the deck is still bad news even without turning over, as the less expensive player can just stand up without having to 2+; gives her a unique role amongst the big guys (defensive rather than offensive).
Cons: violates player building rules; other Big Guys need a double for that kind of reliability when blocking.

Juggernaut or Grab
Pros: uncontroversial, useful skills.
Cons: not very exciting!

Fend or Shadowing
Pros: more interesting at least, being skills rarely seen on Big Guys.
Cons: not especially useful on this type of player.

I would obviously be interested to see anyone else's thoughts, having now given so much time to this what is ultimately a rather inconsequential daydream. What (if anything) would you change about the Amazons?

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Dodge would be too much, with break tackle you would have a cage smashing monster. Would be very hard to use a standard x cage vs something that can dodge into 3 tackle zones 75% of the time (4+ with dodge rr). With move 5 that is just scary.

I guess giving the ogrette break tackle would work in terms of the theme? NOt quite as good at dodging as the smaller ladies, but still decent at it.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah I was all set on Dodge until I thought about how unfairly it would combine with Block or Break Tackle. Another hair-brained scheme was to make her the game's first A|GSP Big Guy.

But for some reason I didn't actually consider Break Tackle itself, which is a good shout!

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
I'd prefer to give them back the Unicorn rather than the Ogrette. Something like Ma6 Str4 Agi2 Av8 Horns, Sure Feet, Sprint, No Hands if you want to make him more like a 0-1 Bull Centaur positional or maybe Ma6 Str5 Agi2 Av8 Loner, Horns, Mighty Blow, Sure Feet, Sprint, No Hands, Wild Animal to make him more like a big guy.

I like the changed catchers gives them a bit of pace which they need.

Strobinator

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I really do not like having an AV6 catcher. My favo(u)rite thing about catchers is their agility access which permits the blodge/sidestep/diving tackle/tackle combination, which is a one-woman defensive juggernaut. My biggest problem is that my catcher usually dies right after picking up the diving tackle part. If they don't live to get sidestep, they might as well be a lineman - they are not making many catch rolls as it is.

EatThisShoe

Rookie
Country Flag
AV6 catcher is not worth taking.

I don't think raising the reroll cost makes much sense, the teams who pay the most for rerolls are generally the teams which need rerolls, Amazons have 4 starting block plus all that dodge, they can afford to run 2 rerolls on a starting roster if there were anything else worth taking.

I personally like the Amazon team as it is, but if I were to improve it I would make the positionals stronger but more expensive, like AV8 on blitzers, MA7 on catchers for an extra 10k each. Maybe allow 4 catchers. With tweaks like that you could lower the power of the starting roster, while strengthening them in the long run.

The big gal feels like a cop out, amazons are too boring so we make them more like humans? Now we just have humans and female humans with dodge. There are tons of teams with big guys.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Perhaps give Amazons a Treeman or Kroxigor to keep them away from Ogres.
Though a Krox is very similar to an Ogre.

But while I agree that their catchers need to be faster, I wouldn't reduce Av to do so.
The only thing left is to increase cost. :(

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Limit their access to two blitzers and give them a Krox if they must have a big guy, or even better a froxigor (what ever that is, but I realy think it should exist). The Unicorn was way to powerfull so that should be limited to a role as a starplayer.:powdodge:

Creamster

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I think zons are a poorly designed team (6337 dodge blah). To make them more interesting I would do the following....

(1, Drop +1 S on catchers but give them pass block and sure-feet. This is to try and use them as intercepters which are a bit faster then your basic grunt. These would be better on offence and also turn sprint into a viable choice as well for 2nd skill.

(2, Drop block + dodge on blitzers but give them guard, wrestle and jump up (cost increase by +20k). Just to be a bit different from the rest of the lineswomen who always turn into blodgers. These will be the mobile assists to the team that can blitz early on. (Was also thinking about increasing armour and giving them wrestle frenzy).

(3, Throwers i was thinking about dropping dodge but giving them +1Strength with +20k increase.

Not sure how taking away dodge will ruin a Mv6 AV7 team though as I predict a lot more blitzers/throwers will be taken off. But its not like dodge does much vs dwarfs/1800 TV teams anyway.

EatThisShoe

Rookie
Country Flag
I think zons are a poorly designed team (6337 dodge blah). To make them more interesting I would do the following....

(1, Drop +1 S on catchers but give them pass block and sure-feet. This is to try and use them as intercepters which are a bit faster then your basic grunt. These would be better on offence and also turn sprint into a viable choice as well for 2nd skill.

(2, Drop block + dodge on blitzers but give them guard, wrestle and jump up (cost increase by +20k). Just to be a bit different from the rest of the lineswomen who always turn into blodgers. These will be the mobile assists to the team that can blitz early on. (Was also thinking about increasing armour and giving them wrestle frenzy).

(3, Throwers i was thinking about dropping dodge but giving them +1Strength with +20k increase.

Not sure how taking away dodge will ruin a Mv6 AV7 team though as I predict a lot more blitzers/throwers will be taken off. But its not like dodge does much vs dwarfs/1800 TV teams anyway.

Honestly this seems like it would be a huge nerf to Amazons, except the S4 throwers, which just seems wierd.

So #1 first off, you have basically made the catcher worse than a human catcher, trading +2 MA for sure feet and pass block. Human catchers are already considered pretty weak. Furthermore the Amazon team doesn't have an ogre like the humans do to make up for low ST players. I think most coaches would simply not take the catcher when they could have a S3 lineman for only 50k.

#2 Guard and wrestle obviously has bad synergy. The problem here is that Blitzers already wanted to take blodge/guard, and wrestle/guard without easy access to dodge is just worse. Early on having 4 starting guard players could actually be a huge bonus, but long term having bad skill synergy on the most crucial players would hurt the team at high TV.

#3 I think some +ST could help the Amazons be more diverse, but it just doesn't make sense on the throwers. Maybe as a new positional?

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah, I agree that -1 St Catchers would be poor.

But I like the idea for a Wrestle, Jump Up player.
But not for a Blitzer as the Blitzers job is to kill people.

How about if the Catcher had Wrestle & Jump Up?

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Heh. I didn't think armour 6 would be popular, but I didn't like just straight up buffing the Catchers with +MV because any coach can easily absorb the 40k hit, still start the game with full positionals and 3 re-rolls. So what that change means is that you've just made a team that's already great at low TV even better..

If people don't like the Big Gal fair enough, I thought it was a good thematic fit and made the team more interesting to develop and viable at high TV. The Amazons are going to be somewhat similar to the Humans whatever you do to them; I can't honestly see the benefit of fretting overly about how those two teams stack up.

And re-roll costs have been routinely tweaked to help balance rosters in the past - the Dwarves and the Chaos in last LRB to name two. I'm not sure their pricing is exactly set into stone tablets, even if there are observable trends.

Much as I like Wrestle and Jump Up as a combo, I'm not sure it would work with the Catchers from the outset. If for no other reason than it seems to muddy their role quite a bit (and coaches would resent not being able to take Block instead and build them into markers). Perhaps they could be given to some new positional?

Creamster

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Honestly this seems like it would be a huge nerf to Amazons, except the S4 throwers, which just seems wierd.

So #1 first off, you have basically made the catcher worse than a human catcher, trading +2 MA for sure feet and pass block. Human catchers are already considered pretty weak. Furthermore the Amazon team doesn't have an ogre like the humans do to make up for low ST players. I think most coaches would simply not take the catcher when they could have a S3 lineman for only 50k.

#2 Guard and wrestle obviously has bad synergy. The problem here is that Blitzers already wanted to take blodge/guard, and wrestle/guard without easy access to dodge is just worse. Early on having 4 starting guard players could actually be a huge bonus, but long term having bad skill synergy on the most crucial players would hurt the team at high TV.

#3 I think some +ST could help the Amazons be more diverse, but it just doesn't make sense on the throwers. Maybe as a new positional?

I was going for different, but weird seems fine :)

(1, The point is to make them into an intercepter role as the game doesn't have any of these. The S2 is to balance the guard and because the game needs more S2 players IMHO (only WE, humans and skaven are "blessed" here). AV6 is a lot weaker then S2. Surefeet is to allow extra move to get to the players or for scoring (although +1 Mv would work instead)

(2, I know its a bad combo but its meant to be :) Dodge can still be got on doubles and vs dwarfs and other high tv teams dodge does nothing anyways (hence the reason for this discussion). Guard and wrestle scale up well but I think they would need AV8. Maybe change them to GA and S on doubles then, so dodge/jump-up can be considered good choices next.

(3, Again just to be different. The game lacks a S4 thrower and giving her GAS would balance up quite nice. I would see players using her for blitz's more.

Rule number 1 is to lose the mass dodge on the team :skull:

EatThisShoe

Rookie
Country Flag
And re-roll costs have been routinely tweaked to help balance rosters in the past - the Dwarves and the Chaos in last LRB to name two. I'm not sure their pricing is exactly set into stone tablets, even if there are observable trends.
I'm not saying it's a hard rule, I just don't think it would have much impact on the team. Amazons have so many starting skills that they don't need the rerolls as much. Also their roster has about 100k to play around with after a core of blitzers, catchers, and linemen up to 11 and 3 rerolls. Even if you raise the cost they have the money to pay for it, or the skills to survive with only 2 rerolls.

(1, The point is to make them into an intercepter role as the game doesn't have any of these. The S2 is to balance the guard and because the game needs more S2 players IMHO (only WE, humans and skaven are "blessed" here). AV6 is a lot weaker then S2. Surefeet is to allow extra move to get to the players or for scoring (although +1 Mv would work instead)
But is it worth buying? Would a coach reasonably take a S2 interceptor who still only intercepts on a 6 (with catch reroll it's about 1/3 chance), and only against teams that throw, and often only two chances per game? Wouldn't most coaches just take a linewoman? If a coach wanted an interceptor he could give pass block to the current Amazon catcher and have nearly the same thing but without S2.

Also you missed a lot of S2 players, they are also on the Orc, Halfling, Goblin, Slann, Underworld, and Lizardman teams. Plus snotlings at S1 on the Ogres. That's 10 teams.

Doover

Star Player
Country Flag
Rule number 1 is to lose the mass dodge on the team :skull:

I would keep it. I see them a bit the different side of Norse. So they realy need the Dodge.

I have a totally different idea to fix the team I would simply make it better.

Wait.... stop screaming.... I have never played Amazones and like the team is right now never going to play them ´cause I really don´t like their style. They are to simple-build. They are nearly all the same.
Please read until the end before you flame me for beeing a amazonepusher.
[Actually I mostly push them when I play against them but that is something different.]

Thinking about a team like this:
0-16 Linewoman: 7 3 3 7 Dodge GA/ASP - 70k
0-2 Thrower: 7 3 3 7 Dodge, Pass, Sure Hands GP/AS - 80k
0-4 Catcher: 8 2 3 7 Dodge, Catch, Sure Feet GA/SP - 90k
0-4 Blitzer: 7 3 3 7 Dodge, Block GS/AP - 90K

Re-Rolls 60k

That would mean an starting Team could be build like this:
4 Blitzer, 1 Catcher, 1 Thrower, 5 Linewoman 2 RR.
2 Blitzer, 2 Catcher, 1 Thrower, 6 Linewoman 2 RR 20k left
2 Blitzer, 0 Catcher, 1 Thrower, 8 Linewoman 3 RR

That sounds realy strange on the first fiew to simply make a team better.
But that way noone is able to buy everything at the start.
That makes the team at the start quite some weaker where the amazones are one off the stongest teams. On the other hand the team will be quite some better at high rating where amazones suffer.

They are some faster, better skilled humans with less AV no Ogre and higher prices.

If they don´t use Catcher at the start they suffer from the lack of RR´s to score more then they improve from the higher MV. If they use Catcher they have weaker players and still only more skills for offence so their defence will get worse.

Last edited:

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
The only comment I would make is that while its a good way to make them more distinct, as a Pro Elf player I'd be a bit upset.

Blitzers with 1 AG less but access to Strength and Agility skills for 10k less than my pro elf blitzer who can't get strength skills. And I can only get 2 of them compared to 4 Amazons.

Linewomen that are faster than Dark, Pro and High Elf linemen.

I'd reduce the speed on the linewomen and throwers to balance it a bit, the blitzers are powerful for their cost and I think will be stars of the team - Agility & Strength skills will make for powerful players.

Doover

Star Player
Country Flag
You are totally right... the blitzer are a bit over the top... compared with all the elf blitzer.

Maybe dropping their AV back to 7. Also dropping the Agility access like humans. They are like human blitzer with Dodge but AV-1. I´ll edit the post above to keep it together.

The problem with dropping the MA of the Linewoman and Thrower back to 6 means also dropping their prize and you get back the old "we have everything at the start" problem.

I compared the linewoman with Wood-Elf exchanging AG with dodge.

Creamster

Super Star Player
Country Flag
But is it worth buying? Would a coach reasonably take a S2 interceptor who still only intercepts on a 6 (with catch reroll it's about 1/3 chance), and only against teams that throw, and often only two chances per game? Wouldn't most coaches just take a linewoman? If a coach wanted an interceptor he could give pass block to the current Amazon catcher and have nearly the same thing but without S2.

Also you missed a lot of S2 players, they are also on the Orc, Halfling, Goblin, Slann, Underworld, and Lizardman teams. Plus snotlings at S1 on the Ogres. That's 10 teams.

Stunty players are not counted obviously :p

Maybe give catchers very long legs as well then ;)