Elf Umming and ahhing over a Blitzer's 3rd skill

Master Wang

Rookie
Loric Starstrider 7348 Block, Side Step, Dodge, Tackle, + ???

He plays for this team:
Da Leeg - Online Blood Bowl League CRP / LRB6

My initial thoughts were Frenzy or Diving Tackle. Others have suggested Fend, Leap or Jump Up.

I'm not a fan of Leap, and I've almost talked myself out of Frenzy, as I like my players under my control, despite it being the majority pick in a poll over on Talk Fantasy Football. I like Jump Up, but can't really see immediate applications for it. I also like Diving Tackle, but am not sure I need another yet. I have no experience with Fend whatsoever - is this the player to try it out on? How would I utilise it?

Just thought I'd ask here as I'm in no rush to make the choice.

Hasdrubal

Veteran
A combination of Blodge, Side Step, Tackle and Diving Tackle sounds really good to me to tie up potential receivers.

Ian

Veteran
I'm not a huge fan of Frenzy on players who've only got 3 ST. It's too easy to have to avoid making a block because you don't want to risk 1d blocks and there's no way to get the assists to line up for you on a given turn.

I'm not played with Leap much myself, but used right it's a pain in the tonsils. Jump Up? Maybe. It basically means that stuns/injuries aside he's almost never actually "down" to all intents and purposes which is certainly appealing.

VoidSeer

Veteran
I'd pick frenzy, cause I'm a big fan of it. The ST3 is no issue, it just requires some planning.

If you don't like frenzy, I'd pick shadowing. It goes well with tackle, and does not leave your player prone as diving tackle does.

Atomsk

Rookie
Personally, I love the idea of Leap on someone on your team whether it be a catcher or your blitzer. If you're still open to suggestions... there's always strip ball. With Tackle, and blodge strip ball would be very scary on those without sure hands.

If you're set on one of those skills Jump Up is great. It allows you to throw a block, not just a blitz on the ground provided you make the agility check, and there's someone adjacent to you.

Fend just allows you keep someone at bay after a block which can be an amazing, as you're free to move your next turn without starting off with a dodge, with 4 agility and dodge, I'm not seeing too much of an application for your team.

To VoidSeer's point if you use him as a marker Shadowing would be VERY annoying.

Last edited:

Master Wang

Rookie
I already have Leap on one catcher, and when I get a second, it'll probably be on another so they can keep up with each other (for the record, I hate Leap, all it seems to do is Badly Hurt the fool).

Again, Strip Ball seems like it would be better on a catcher, as they tend to be the ones hitting the ball carrier (though not exclusively).

Ditto Frenzy. On a catcher, if I'm using Frenzy, it'll probably be in my opponent's half after a deep kick, and he won't have secondary assists lined up. If I give it to the blitzer, he'll probably end up using it in and around a scrum where it'll be more risky, especially given the amount of Guard my opponents at this level have.

Shadowing is interesting me a little. Someone else suggested it on TFF, but on a MA7 piece is it worth it? I guess if both the Blitzers can mark someone at the same time, it would be pretty effective.

Fend I can see mainly being used to stop Piling On which is around at this level. But I don't want to be too defensively minded in my picks yet as at the end of the day skilling a replacement wouldn't be too hard. If the team ever develops far enough, I may get it on many players as a late pick to add to their annoyance value and help keep them alive.

It is interesting that almost every skill seems better on a catcher! My experienced 3 are all close to skilling. Although hopefully they won't yet as I really want to develop my linemen, which is horrible to do at this TV level. The one with Guard will get Side Step (though Leap is tempting), the one with Wrackle will get Strip Ball or Frenzy, and the one with Leap maybe Pro, as he's often the last thing I do in a turn and the team re-roll is often gone by then. But, Strip Ball on him is also a possibility.

I find it bizarre that I can't give such a great piece [the Blitzer] a clear role. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Hasdrubal

Veteran
You use your catchers to blitz and retrieve the ball. How do you use your blitzers? I would again seriously consider Diving Tackle, especially considering your other blitzer already has the skill. You can turn them into a good screen to tie up and direct the moves of the opposing receivers.

Master Wang

Rookie
On defence my blitzers are out in the widezones. They then go into the back field with the catchers to rush the ball carrier where they either help screen him off from the rest of his team, or if he's close enough, put an assist on before I hit him. They may also just mark up players who I want to stop going backwards to help their teammate. If my opponent cages, then it depends on whether I feel it's worth the risk to try and break the cage. If I think it is, then I mark two of it's corners with them. Theoretically they are also used to mark potential receivers, but I can't recall many (any?) of my opponents actually passing.

On offense they often blitz the hole for my catchers to go through and then screen off part of the pitch. They may get placed on the line of scrimmage if it's lightweight and then I knock it down and go up the middle. Finally, I have used them as cage corners when facing other ST3 teams.

Last edited:

Metalsvinet

Veteran
Frenzy is nice as you already have side step, but if you don't like that, diving tackle is the way to go. It is really good in combination with blodge, sidestep and tackle! Ofcourse it is always best against AG teams..