Wood Elf Playing against more advanced teams....

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
So after winning Season One of a 6 man league with Dark Elves, I decided to play a different team in Season Two.

So I decided to go with Wood Elves.
Thing is, I am starting with a 1000TV team against teams that are continuing on from last season. So I'll be about 200TV behind everyone else!

So basically I am wondering what I should use the Inducement money on?
My first game is against Humans with lots of Block/Guard.

My team I decided to go with:
2 * Wardancers
1 * Thrower
8 * LineElfs
1 * Apot and 1 ReRoll.

An unusual lineup to be sure, but I wanted to have some decent positions from the get go.

Thanks

VoidSeer

Veteran
Has your league started yet?
If not, scrap the APO and get a 2nd reroll ASAP.

Two main arguments:
  • You NEED that reroll (and a 3rd one) to have a competitive game. Jumping on the cages, hitting ball carriers at 2D against, catching passes, or dodging away will eat a lot of rerolls. Especially with no dodge/catch/sure hands etc...
  • You will have inducements. If one of your lineelves is injured, fire him and hire another using your inducement money for the next game. Put him on the LOS, who cares about loner. If it gets some SPPs, hire him at the end of the game

Now, with the inducement I'd say, get another reroll and a 12th player.

If the opposing team has a really dangerous player, bribe the ref and use your superior mobility to gang foul him.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I agree that you should start with another reroll. You can induce an apoth for the same cost as inducing a reroll, but rerolls double in cost after team creation.

First few matches I'd induce rerolls as you are going to need them and they will help you get skills on your players quicker.

If you have enough inducement money than Eldril Sidewinder is great value, though it depends on how much important you put on winning the games, compared to just surviving and developing your team more. Personally I'd rather win and you can still use Eldril and develop your players too. Hypnotic Gaze and his skills make him a very useful player.

The first game you will want rerolls to be able to dodge away. You have little Block so just stalling his cage is your best bet. Denying him hits on your players is vital so you will need the rerolls to help with that.

Inducements really need to be tailored to the opposing team to get the most out of them though and some general advice I may ignore for other options against certain teams.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks for the advice guys, I shall look into getting another reroll.

I forgot to mention that this is in the Cyanide game, so I'm not sure I will be able to change the Apot for a reroll, but I can certainly induce for 1.

And a 12th player. I had been thinking about fancy stuff like wizards and stuff but I guess basic stuff will stand to me longer.

In my first game I will only have about 200k, but my second game is against Lizardmen and should have about 380k (+- however far I advance/lose after first game).

Cheers.

RedDevilCG

Veteran
There is no Wizard in the Cyanide game. Your inducements are limited to mercenaries, extra re-rolls, apothecary, and bribes. That's it.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
While you may be right about the Wizards, there are actually some optional extras from Private Leagues.

In the Private Leagues you can include the Blitz features of extra training and specific bribes etc. So you could bribe their star player to -1 M or pay off their fans not to riot and so on.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
So I finally got to play this game last night.
I had managed to change my Apot for a Reroll before the game so that was no trouble.

In Game 1 of my League, I was playing Humans with 250k higher TV.
They had 7 players with block and 2or3 with Guard.
For my 250 I got an extra player, a Reroll and a Bloodweiser Babe.
I couldn't find the Apot in the special inducements of this league but as it happens I didn't need it, as noone died or got a serious injury.
I lost the game 2-1, but it could easily have been 1-2 or 2-2 but for a few failed dice rolls.
And worse, imo, was that none of my players gained a skill and i only had 40k prize money so no new Apot.

I then immediately played Game 2 against Lizardmen.
I had 400k in Inducement money in this game. I got an extra player, a Bloodweiser Babe, a scroll and meant to get a reroll but I ran out of time and lost 100k of inducement. :(
I won the game 5-0, but lost two lineelf (RIP), my TV is down to 900 (I got Wrestle on a Lineelf and Sidestep for a Wardancer). The scroll never came into use. The Wood Elf scroll, hits the opponent with -2Mv for 1 turn.

In both games I never rolled a single 3 for my KO'd players so the Babes never came into effect either. And worse! There was no model for them in the Cyanide game ;)

My next game is against Dwarfs, but I don't think I'll get as much inducement money as before as they have a TV of 1100 but they have a game in hand.

VoidSeer

Veteran
Seems you got a fairly good start. The loss of two lineelves is bad, but you'll get journeymen so you'll be fine. Winning 5-0 is pretty nice :) I hope most of the SPPs did not go to the dead guys.

Side-step is a questionnable choice as 1st skill on a dancer though. I always pick frenzy, as it helps a great deal in creating breaches in the defense.

I would have picked kick on the lineelf, especially if I knew I was playing against dwarves next (kick deep and try to prevent the cage from forming up).

Make sure you know where is the "wandering apo" inducement before playing the dwarves. You can't affort to lose more players :)

GL for your league

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks for the advice.
Kick probably would have been a better skill but so far I have been getting owned by so much Block so it would be nice to have some resistance to that. As for Frenzy, that could have been good, especially since my experience with Witch Elves last season, and I would probably have got it if I had got Guard on the Lineelf.

The two Dead guys were on 0 SPP so no loss there. In truth I probably wouldn't have used the Apot on them as there was still plenty of time left on the clock and i tend to save the Apot for positionals.

I have 80k to spend before the next game, so I could either buy a Lineman or get the Apot. I'll probably get the Apot as I will be getting Journeymen to fill up the roster.

After the Dwarfs I will be playing against Orcs and then Skaven.

VoidSeer

Veteran
Get the APO. Journeys will do as cannon fodder.

You don't need guard to use frenzy, especially with wood elves at low TV. Your superior mobility will ensure a 2D block most of the time.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Get the Apothecary, cheaper than a Lineman and can save you a player that costs even more.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Right so, we finally played another game.

My most recent game was against Dwarfs and there were no deaths or serious injuries (after 5 casualties!)

So I now have 9 players, a 100k in the bank, and my 2nd wardancer (as well as a lineelf) have advanced.

Turns out my 1st Wardancer has Jump Up, I must have selected the wrong skill by accident! :eek:

My next game is against Orcs (TV 1470) and I have 1100 (+ however much my new skills will cost)

So I was thinking, spend the money on another Reroll (to bring me to 3), and use Journeymen to get me to 11 players.
Kick for the Lineman (though I did roll 11 for the skill! Is Ag5 worth it?)
But i amn't sure what direction to go with the Wardancer. I like Frenzy (As Voidseer suggested) but it isn't the most universal skill in the world!

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Frenzy is great on a Wardancer, check the player article, though I think I like Strip Ball on one first skill up.

I'd also get the reroll with your money and take a Journeyman for the next game.

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
Kick for the Lineman (though I did roll 11 for the skill! Is Ag5 worth it?)

My Dark Elf team has an Agi 5 lineman and he's a menace. He spent a couple of games as a makeshift thrower before coming into his own. I've also given him leap and wrestle. He always gets the ball no matter where it is.

Ancre

Veteran
I had two ag5 linemen in a wood elf team for a while, it was scary. You can do so much stuff with ag5, you can dodge even better, you can throw the ball better, and with leap you're pretty much unstoppable.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Right, so my game against the Orcs went very well and very badly.

Well in that I drew 1-1.

Badly in that I was down to 6 men after turn 2,
started the 2nd half with 4 guys,
for the second time my MVP went to a Loner
and my team now consists of 5 dudes for my final game:
2 Wardancers (one with Jump Up, one with Frenzy)
1 Thrower (accurate)
2 linelfs (one with wrestle)
and one seriously injured Lineelf with +1AG and -1 ST.

My last game is against Skaven, and I need a win to have a chance to win the league.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Just finished against the Skaven.

Finished 3-3, good considering I was playing with 6 Loners, and 3 of them were off the pitch for most of the game.

It doesn't mean it will be a minor miracle for me to win the League now :(
I need very specific results from the other two games, and even then it leaves me in joint first!