Rules Questions about SSP

adamacer

Rookie
Country Flag
A couple of incidents occured during our latest Tabletop session which gave rise to questions.

Situation A: Two players are ":bothdown:" and both get injured (casualties.) Do Both, one or none get ssp?

Second question was if anyone is awarded ssp after a failed dodge that results in a casualty?

Cant seem to find anything about it in the rules or on these forums.

Adam

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
From playing on Cyanide, i can tell you that answer to a) is both get the SPP and the answer to b) is no spp given on failed dodge.

Can't quote you sections of the rulebook though, so perhaps someone else can do that?

Mico Selva

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
It is as You say, Narly Bird:

Casualties (CAS): If a player causes an opposing player to be removed as a Casualty then they earn 2 Star Player points. The points are only earned if the player blocks an opponent or is blocked by an opponent himself. Casualties inflicted in any other way (including injuries inflicted by the crowd or from attacks with chainsaws, bombs, or the Stab skill) do not count for Star Player points.

adamacer

Rookie
Country Flag
Another question that we discussed springs to mind.
One o fthe coaches has decided to Play Goblins (brave soul), and was wondering about the Bombardier. If the bombardier is successful with his "Bomb-pass" is it an "accurate throw" and grants any player in that square a +1 to catch? Sounds odd if its an opponent..

Adam

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The answer to that is yes. It counts as an accurate pass and therefore the player (even an opponent) gets to add +1 to the catch. I had 2 bitter experiences with that in CCII against Thanatos and his Elven like Blitz Ras. The damned bastard was carrying the ball at the time too, so he would have had to catch both bombs 1-handed. And he managed to lob them back and kick my butt! After the match the Throw Ras skilled up and very appropriately got +AG.

I will have to defer again to Mico for quoting the relevant section though. :eek:

Last edited:

Mico Selva

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
You are right again, Narly Bird.

Here's the skill description (highlight mine):

A coach may choose to have a Bombardier who is not Prone or Stunned
throw a bomb instead of taking any other Action with the player. This
does not use the team's Pass Action for the turn. The bomb is thrown
using the rules for throwing the ball
(including weather effects), except
that the player may not move or stand up before throwing it (he needs
time to light the fuse!). Fumbled and intercepted bomb passes are not
turnovers. All skills that may be used when a ball is thrown may be used
when a bomb is thrown also. A bomb may be intercepted or caught using
the same rules for catching the ball
, in which case the player catching it
must throw it again immediately. This is a special bonus Action that takes
place out of the normal sequence of play. A player holding the ball can
catch or intercept and throw a bomb. The bomb explodes when it lands
in an empty square or an opportunity to catch the bomb fails or is
declined (i.e., bombs don’t ‘bounce’). If the bomb is fumbled it explodes
in the bomb thrower’s square. If a bomb lands in the crowd, it explodes
with no effect. When the bomb finally does explode any player in the
same square is Knocked Down, and players in adjacent squares are
Knocked Down on a roll of 4+. Players can be hit by a bomb and treated
as Knocked Down even if they are already Prone or Stunned. Make
Armour and Injury rolls for any players Knocked Down by the bomb.
Casualties caused by a bomb do not count for Star Player points.
So, basically, yes, You should not be throwing the bomb directly to the opponent, as he gets to catch, not intercept it, if You manage to throw accurately.

Unless every instance of opposing team's player trying to catch a thrown ball counts as an interception? I don't know, but I think not.

This means You should also be able to throw the bomb to Your own player for him to throw it again. Now this sounds like an awesome idea which I have to try out!

adamacer

Rookie
Country Flag
Another question, if only casualties inflicted as an outcome of a block grants SSP does that mean casualties inflicted with the skill "Piling on" does not grant SSP either?

Adam

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Piling on should allow spp on casualties as it is a skill that allows a re-roll as part of a block action, as far as I'm aware. It isn't a separate action.

adamacer

Rookie
Country Flag
So can an opposing player "Catch" a bomb/ball or is it always counted as an interception attempt even if the throw was aimed at the square where the player stood?

Adam

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
From the quoted rules above, if its thrown at them, its a catch not an interception.

Does also beg the question whether an accurate pass would give the bomb thrower a spp, but I doubt that is the intention since technically it isn't a pass action. :)

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
The completion rules specifically mention the ball so you don't get one for passing a bomb.

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
does intercept the bomb grant you 2 spp, like normal interception ?

Can't say what the ruling should be, in bloodbowl 1 it certainly did not. I would assume it shouldn't though seeing as pass block doesn't work when a bomb is thrown.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
It mentions ball on SPP for interceptions in the same way as for a completed pass so Street is correct and you shouldn't get SPP for a interception of a bomb.