Wood Elf W.o.o.d.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Suppose that in a similar scenario I manage to correctly plan all the pushes and set up the men to do it, but one critical piece disappears: would it be enough to call for a replay of the match?

Can't talk for the BC, but not in the CC. It happens very rarely if you don't click your own players, and the one-turner is usually long odds anyway.
(My opponent once had their treeman end up next to their endzone - he then managed to root just when he was about to join the actual game)

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Ok guys, we're back in action.
After having lost lots of pieces now we finally have the finances to build back a respectable banch.
We are currently running on 12 elves and have 320k in the treasury so that we can easily buy a couple more players.
We currently have 1 thrower, 2 catchers, the treemen and 2 WD. The rest are linos.
I am considering buying a third catcher and a second thrower to field as defensive thrower, keeping the -av, block/guard lino..
How does it sound?
Keep in mind that eith this I would have 2 -AV guys, but one is usually sent out after some fouls, thus only the guard remains and I hope to make the 10 remaining spp to get the dodge skill fast.
This in addition to the niggled guard catcher, but he is a keeper for me, as he just got +1 AG (see below).

Also I don't know if to rebuild my bench now or after a couple matches as I am encountering in turn rookie orcs, semirookie Chaos (Remthar's) and Hawca's Halflings (which scare me even more than the Chaos), and with my 1800TV team I'll be handing out huge inducements already: would it be sensible to increase that by getting a larger bench?
I fear I will face 3 trees and Zara all in a single match ...

About the skills, I got 2 in the adminned win I got against Edjapo: my niggled catcher as already mentioned rolled +AG and it seems foolish to turn that down so I went for it with the plan to get leap and Sidestep as next skills, it would be good both for getting the guard skill wherever it count most and to score 1 turners.
The second skill I got is on my rookie WD, who got a normal skill, and I'm very tempted to take Strip Ball; any other suggestion?

As always thank you all for every advice you will want to give me.

Last edited:

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
If you are fine with it I could well see using your still relatively low TV to build more cash reserves and get more SPP to the linos..

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Never thought at the financial aspect of the situation, I suppose that I could do that if needed.
Do you think that with 12 players I could be OK in my upcoming matches against rookie or semi-rookie teams?
I remember someone (it may effectively be you, if I am not mistaken) telling me that when facing lower TV teams it's better to have a good bench even at the cost of handing out some more inducements.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
It is. But with woodies you usually end up starting the game with 12 players even if you have 14.

So of you get to play with 11, buy players to start with at least 12, and then don't sack them because they are good to have. And if you get unlucky with cas they are still good to have. I just don't think they are necessary at this time.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Ok, so now I am already starting with 12 and thus for teh next match I am not buying anyone and build my treasury.

Ok, got it.

As for the AV6 players I am keeping both. DP is a mixed blessing but he managed to get rid of key players at times, and the guard block is simply too good to get rid of. I will try to feed him some TD so to expedite his dodge skill.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
dp could go with low bench hes just helping opponent win by attrition.. who are you playing next? going to give inducements anyway.. i like to run 14.. best way to lose with av7 is running out of players and itd make the dp viable

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Yea, 14 is a goal, but with opponents low both in TV and skills it should be survivable with a narrow bench and facing less Morg+Wizard. And building some treasury to be able to not only get to 14 players, but to replace some of the chaff by then, well, that's just nice. :)

I've ran dp on 12-player woodies, and 11-player dark elves. They definitely have their value, but you can't go fouling just anything like a 15-player undead team should.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Ok, so I went with Frenzy for the second WD and it proved effective.
She surfed some guys out and provided a reliable way to down the Sure Hands BC.

I won my match against rookie orcs with no casualties, so now I have 360k, still 12 on the pitch for next match and Ell got his dodge, so now its AV6 is a little more survivable.
Next match is against Remthar's semi-rookie Chaos: three warrior with Block, one Beast with Block and MB, one beast with DT and one beast with block and +MA.

I guess that my DP will target the MB if possible, but with Remthar's skill on the other side I am pretty sure he will not leave me easy fouls around.

Shall I continue with 12 men and build my treasury?

Any particular advice against the Sparkletree Slaughterers?

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Harassing undeveloped chaos teams usually involves going after their ball carrier with a Strip Ball leaper. Remthar doesn't have a SH beastman, so it depends on who gets the ball. If it's a guy with no Block, a SB wardancer has a 70% chance to dislodge the ball on a -2d. If the carrier has Block, it's 50/50. Remthar has no way to prevent you from doing it, and no Tackle to really punish you for it. At the same time, this will probably come down to how well your guys can stay on the pitch - if you lose 3-4 players early, keeping the chaos cage contain will become more difficult. I think your best bet is to play contain and go after the ball every chance you get, but without giving away hits on your rookies if you can help it.

P.S. The carrier will have Block. 5 bucks to a rusty nail says the MA+/Block beastman gets the ball.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Oh my, oh my ...

I won, I'm soo excited about that, but what terrible price I had to pay.

ImageMatchReport.aspx

I got a mix of nuffling and nuffle blessings, and in the end I decided to risk it all to win instead of grabbing an easy and safe draw.
We were 1-1 and I had a player in scoring range with the ball, but scoring would leave Remthar 3 turns to score back, which he would have done for sure, as I had just 3 pieces standing, and all the other were either in the Seriously injured box.
I went with my heart and decided to stall out one turn with just 2 men.
In hindsight it was maybe not the best decision, as the BC had wrestle and was more prone to being dropped, which in fact happened, but the results payed off anyway as teh ball scattered in my favour (nuffle blessed me there) and I managed to score in the next turn, leaving Remthar just 2 turns to score, which he failed.
Had the ball scattered differently Remthar would have won 2-1 surely, but it is said that luck favours the brave, and the play was very brave indeed (and as all bravery, a little foolish as well).

As said before I had paid a high price, as the CAS count is high: my kicker is dead, my thrower got -ST, a lino got -MA and another got a niggle.
I will have 7 players standing for my next match against Hudd: what do I do? play with loners?
Sack the -ST thrower and the niggle (and maybe also the -MA) and buy replacements? with 450k in treasury I can do pretty much what I want, but I am not so sure about sacking people.

Last edited:

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
Against hudd loners will be really good for getting killed by his killer. Maybe even get some more if you are getting inducements.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
The Thrower needs to go and wants replacing.
The -MA lino can stay.
Whether you sack the niggle depends on if you are replacing players or not.

I don't like buying players if you are only going up to 11. Buying a thrower and 4 linemen will eat up most of your treasury so I would go with loners.
I would consider keeping the niggle and then buying up to 13 after your next match when the 2 MNG's are back. The niggle would then sit on the bench and only play when you are down on players.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
So, assuming I will get enough inducements for an additional merc OR a wizard, which would you get?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Wizard
Then receive , score quick , wizard , score again.
2nd half try and hold on for the win.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Hey guys, I realized only seeing the MM thread that I got it all wrong: I am facing Hawca's halflings next, not Hudd's orcs!

I guess that unless I am replacing all the injured it makes no sense in buying additional players.
Right npow I am handing out 800k inducements.

I have 2 options:
1) fire the niggle lino, the -ma lino and the -st thrower and buy men to get to 12. I would hand out 890k inducements if doing so.
2) keep the niggle and the -ma, thus play with loners and hand out "only" 800k inducements.

Against Hawca the prospect of playing with no bench at all scares me ...

What would you do?
Also, any advice for the match, where I will probably face 3 trees and Zara?