Dwarf Crazy Dwarf Team

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
So I am going to be taking part in a 12 man Blood Bowl League.

I was going to play Orcs, but when I saw 3 other players with Orcs I decided to change to Dwarfs.
Other teams include: 1 WE, 2 DE, 1 Humans, 1 Dwarfs, 1 Liz, 2 Skaven.

In a fit of madness I was wondering what it would be like to start with the Death Roller. So the team I submitted was:
1x Deathroller
2x Runners
2x Blitzers
1x Troll Slayer
5x Linemen
2x RRs

Do people think I could get away with this or is it sheer madness to try?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Charging Pun

Veteran
Country Flag
I personally have never played with a death roller, but I would say that you need more rerolls in order to make ball handling more reliable.

The other thing you have to consider is that you will have to start with the deathroller on the field during the first drive (regardless of who is recieving), which could lead to a quick score and the deathroller being out for the rest of the game. This is bad because it leaves you with only 10 players and they will have enough trouble covering the whole field with a full roster.

Make him count, because he will only be on the field for a short time.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Never tried it but interested to hear how it goes, good luck!

drester

Rookie
i think it is pretty mad but that's what blood bowl's about! if you do enough damage to the other team before the roller gets sent off then you shouldn't get out numbered to bad or better even and out number your opponent. the other option is to take the 3rd reroll and another troll slayer with 20k in the bank.

Ian

Veteran
The problem will arise when something happens to cause your Deathroller to go off early, like if they score fast. If they receive and they're a quick team you might need to try less bashy tactics on defence (i.e. try to build walls of players rather than go man to man) so your Deathroller has the time to do it's worst.

And obviously choose to receive every single time you can.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
After the brackets were made my first 3 games are against Skaven, Lizardmen and Wood Elves.

With speedy teams like that I decided to not go ahead with the Death Roller as it would probably only get 6 turns on the pitch in its first 3 games.

Now all I have to decide is: -1 Deathroller => (+1 TSlayers, +1 RR) or (+1 Lineman +2 RRs) or (+1 Lineman +1 RRs + Apot)

EDIT:
I went with the latter and it is just as well. In my first game Vs Skaven one of my Blitzers would have gotten a Niggling Injury but recovered nicely to play in the 2nd half.

I beat the Skaven 1-0, scoring on turn 15.
It would have played out to a draw but my opponent ran out of rerolls and tried to 1-Dice blitz me off the ball near the half way line.
Needless to say it didn't work and I managed to finish the 2nd half with more RRs than I started with!

Only SPPs I got were the MVP, the TD and a Pass I threw in the last turn (the MVP and the TD were by the same player who now has Kick-Off Return).
My opponent actually did better by getting a Cas, an Interception (it was turn 8 and I HAD to throw it to score), a pass and the MVP.

Had I gone with the Deathroller it would have lasted the entire first half as there were no scores. But then who knows how it would have affected the run of play.

ADDITION:
Played my second game with this team. Was up against the Lizardmen.
After 3 turns I was running through on goal; his only hope of stopping me was with a Skink Blitzing a Blitzer.
But he got disconnected (same opponent as my Chaos team) and I got a 2-0 win. :(
I won enough money to buy my second Troll Slayer; and the 1x MVP and 1x TD went to my other Troll Slayer who now has Mighty Blow; the other 1x MVP and 1x TD went to a Blocker who now has Guard.
My TV is now a sky high 1240 (relatively!).

Next up Wood Elves.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Just played my game against the Wood Elves. I was worried about this team as they beat the other Dwarf team in the Division 4-0! But they were down to 1 Wardancer and 7 other players.

He had 120k in inducements (spent on Bloodweiser Babes) and received 3 Loners.

First half:
Received and proceeded in typical Dwarf Fashion with a slow grind up the pitch.
I scored on turn 7, as I wasn't 100% cofindent I could stall for another Turn.
1-0
He received and the Kick Off resulted in a riot which pushed the clock back (so he had 3 turns to score). Crud.
For the most part I was able to hold up most of his players, though his Wardancer was in a scoring position. Managed to drop her and surround to make sure she didn't get out. I fouled with 6 Assists and rolled snake eyes, which meant I was sent off and she was only stunned. Oops :(

Second Half:
He was down to about 9 players. He started with an even set up but then ran everyone to the side. I spaced out my players just in case this was a fake; but nicely bottled up his players. All were still outside scoring distance, and I even got to crowd surf the Wardancer. It was a choice between that or blitzing the Ball Carrier who was open but outside scoring distance and more-or-less contained.

He managed to free up the ball carrier, who made a break for the line. The only cover I had on that side of the pitch was a Runner and a Blocker who was only close enough to provide an assist (he used up a RR getting there; incidentally the only RR i used in the game!). I threw the Runner at him and only got 2x Push Back. But at least he was next to the sideline and 2 tackle zones on him. Next turn he cancelled my assist with another elf, and then blitzed the runner with a 1D block, Defender Down and the ball carrier dodge his way to the line.
1-1. (4 turns left)

I received, he kicked to almost my touchline (Kick Off Return helped) and I went about cageing up. Looking at the clock, meant I would have to move my full distance forward every turn. He didn't bother trying to go after my cage at first. He tried beating up the rest of my players now that he outnumbered me (i.e. He was 3 players down but I had 5 in a cage). But the didn't work even though he did crowd surf two of my players. The last few turns were just me beating up his players after I had moved the cage as far forward as I could. I managed to kill the Wardancer but the Apot saved her.
Scored on turn 16, 2-1, nothing the elves could do.

I got no advancements unfortunately but with 70k in the bank my next RR should be here in time for the final match of the season.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Played my 4th game with this team.
I was up against the only other Dwarfs in the league.
An interesting affair which saw alot of throwing (but none succeeding) as we tried to get the ball quickly to the oppositions half of the field.
It was like watching Argentina playing against itself in Rugby.

I scored on Turn 7 of the first half and very nearly scored again in the 2nd in my opponents drive but he did just enough to prevent me getting away.

So now with 4 wins I am on top of the league and my next opponent is second.
He has similarly beat everyone though he did draw with the Wood Elves.

Who ever wins between us wins the league; though the advantage is mine as a Draw will be good enough to secure me the league.

EDIT:
So I lose 0-1. :(
Throwing a 1D Block on Turn 16 to Draw the game (a push would have done) results in Attacker Down.
More or less describes the game.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I finished 2nd in the League which wasn't so bad.
The prize money means I have enough for a Deathroller; though I probably should have replaced the runner that died.

As it happens the league promoted 3 teams and relegated 3 teams which means my Division 1 opponents now consists of Orcs and Wood Elves as before but now in additions Orcs, Skaven and Dark Elves (who replace Lizardmen, Skaven and Dwarfs)

Season 2
Day 1 Vs Wood Elves.
1st Half
Last time I managed a comfortable enough 2-1 win this. This time not so easy.
I receive and my opponent tries a different tactic. Instead of trying to stop the cage, he simply tries to beat up the reast of my team using his numerical advantage. My Deathroller has a hard time trying to catch these slippery pansies.
But at the end of the half I score and for all the damage my opponent did I am still at full strength. There are two turns left but my kick off results in a Riot which ends the half.

2d Half
Opponent breaks down the left side and beats up the right side. I manage to hold the right but on the left the wardancer leaps out and stands on the touchline.
One hand off and one pass; the Wood Elves are level. 1-1.
They kick off to me and another Riot advances the turn to turn 13. I have 4 turns to move my Runner 24 spaces. I'll have to be speedy about it. I manage to break up the left wing and keep moving but at the end of turn 15 I am still 7 spaces away. Opponent ties a desperate 2D block against but ends up with an Attacker down even after a reroll. I blitz another player who is beside my Runner and chainpush my Runner within 6 spaces and score. Woo! 2-1

Next game is against the Orcs that won last season. Their entire team seems to be St4, Block and Guard; well not quite but it is a scary prospect.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Played against the Orcs, but unfortunately got disconnects at half time.
Slightly annoyed as I had weathered the first half pretty well.
I was 0-1 down but I had reduced him to 10 Orcs and my Deathroller was coming on. :(

Next up, more Orcs.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Finally got to play this game.

Actually had to play it twice as the game crashed about half way through the first half but luckily no one got an autoloss.

It was Dwarf Vs Orcs.

1st Half
I receive and hold onto the ball in my half while I try break a hole with the rest of my dudes. Takes a while, and there was a bit of a scare when he managed to take out the ball carrier but the ball landed neatly in the hands of my guard Blocker.

He ran a bit and handed off to a Blitzer who is on 0SPPs, who goes on to score. Nice.

2nd Half
I kick and the result in a Blitz! My opponent has set up most of his guys to my right and the ball is going to land to my left near the halfway line. I have a Blitzer move up to catch it and my opponent is left scambling across to cover the pitch. I can break free though and I hold them on the line while teh rest of our teams beat teh carp out of each other.

Score again with the same Blitzer so he goes up a level.
Games ends 2-0.

This was actually the same person I played against with my Chaos Team (the game where everything went wrong for me) but on this occasion it seemed to go all wrong for him. Not quite to the same extend on the injuries front but the Blitz really ruined his chances of a comeback.

My Blitzer picked up Fend as I plan to build him as a receiver.
and my MB Slayer also went up a level and I gave him Guard as there isn't a lot of it on the team!
I also had enough money to buy a replacement Runner for the one I lost last season, so I now have all 4 Ag3 players, 3 of which have Sure Hands.

Next game Skaven.

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Had the game against Skaven.

Standard Dwarf 2-1 fare, without the concession of a touchdown, so 2-0.
Skaven teams do have a tough time against Dwarf cages.
That being said, my Deathroller had a tough time against the Rat Ogre as he kept being knocked down by it!

Also had my game against the Dark Elves.
Pretty similar though they did score against me (Stupid Dump-Off).

I finish the season 4-1, and if other games go my way there could be a 3 way tie for first place. In that case it comes down to TV and mine is pretty high and I could buy a Longbeard to increase it if need be.
But as it happened there was no 3-way tie and I finish the season in 2nd place for the second time, behind the same winner as last season. :(

1st Season, loss came down to a 1D block that came up Attacker Down
2nd Season, loss came from disconnect (which only further boosted my nemesis)
Hopefully I can beat them on the 3rd attempt.

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
Second is a good result. You'll get him next time.