Elf Advice about Blitzers

Shadow Dragon

Rookie
Country Flag
I need some advice about how to build my blitzer elves due to fact i see them as the spearhead of the team and i'd like to build one to be a killer, so here's my build

Elf Blitzer Killer

Singles:Dodge, Tackle, Dauntless, Pro, Wrestle,

Doubles:Mighty Blow, Piling On

Upgrades:ST or AV

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
Which elves are these? The "regular" ones?
Have you checked out this article http://bbtactics.com/elf-blitzers/?
Your build is nearly identical, although I'd prefer Guard over Piling On, as coach suggested. Also, I don't see much value in Wrestle, but it is at the end of the list, so not very likely to get there. And AG over AV, even with 4 AG starting, you can't have too much of it.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Usually Blitzers on Elven teams en up as support staff with guard, since all Elven teams with Blitzers have equally strong and equally fast (or faster) players with lower AV (7) that need to be screened, and thus are better suited for the hit and run role of a killer.

That said, on the actual Elf team, Catchers can also be skilled straight into ballhawks, meaning that a Blitzer could take a killer role, especially if Piling On is involved, since their AV8 make them somewhat more durable during the retribution fouls.

And back in the days one CC team did have a famously annoying POMB-tackling blitzer.

As for your build suggestions, you might have dodge too early. Also juggernaut is an option to piling on, since it allows hunting of wrestlers, reduces the risk of getting caught next to an opposing player after a poor blitz, and finally it helps when trying to pull a oneturner or fast score against a crew including standfirmers.

Shadow Dragon

Rookie
Country Flag
reason for the first skill being dodge is becuase taking ona blitzer of any race with block and dodge is a major pain in the butt, for the doubles of piling on and mighty blow the reason i get my blitzers that is becuase the blitzers are probly the only elf on the team who could stand up to the bigger, nasyier races, i save guard for my catchers and lineelves. The line elves i build different cuase they all get wresle and block as soon as i can

Znarx

Courier Staff
Cyanide Username
Znarx
Country Flag
I think you absolutely take Dodge first on a Pro Elf Blitzer, unless you get a double or stats roll. Blodge + Side Step is incredibly annoying to deal with.

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
I think you absolutely take Dodge first on a Pro Elf Blitzer, unless you get a double or stats roll. Blodge + Side Step is incredibly annoying to deal with.
I agree. I haven't played Pro Elves, but from playing against them those Blitzers that get Blodgestep on 6SPP are literally the worst thing ever.

Mephiston

Star Player
Country Flag
Elven Blodgers is the reason why Tackle is the second most importent skill to me... I usually take it amongst the first to third skill (depending on the player) on almost all of my players on a team.

It is because I find Blodge heavy teams to be far more difficult to deal with, then any strong bashy team. Bashy teams are easy and simple to deal with, just add another guy or something, and you will usually have atleast 2 chances on the block dice to knock them down as well on top of that. Where as Blodgy teams all you can do is hope for that you roll a :pow:, so I add Tackle so I atleast have 2 chances to knock them down on the block dice.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
My blitzers all go guard on doubles.
Then Dodge , Tackle , Diving Tackle , Fend on normal rolls.
Leap if they have guard.

The catchers do the actual blitzing.
At least one of your catchers wants to be wrestle , dodge , leap , tackle or Strip Ball.
Wrestle catchers get MB , Block catchers get guard on doubles.

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
My blitzers all go guard on doubles.
Then Dodge , Tackle , Diving Tackle , Fend on normal rolls.
Leap if they have guard.

The catchers do the actual blitzing.
At least one of your catchers wants to be wrestle , dodge , leap , tackle or Strip Ball.
Wrestle catchers get MB , Block catchers get guard on doubles.

Why MB on the Wrestle pieces? That seems weird, I want them making more armor rolls and wouldn't want the MB player laying on the ground.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Because you only have 1 blitz per turn and as elves you always want to hit high value players and put them on the ground.
Therefore the wrestle players do all of the blitzing.
My block catchers go block , dodge , sidestep , fend so against a blodger only have a 1 in 6 chance of knocking him down per dice.
My wrestle catchers go wrestle , tackle , dodge , leap so have a 3 in 6 chance of putting him on the floor per dice and a 2 in 6 of getting an armour roll.
Block guys lend assists so get guard , wrestle players blitz so get MB.

sbr32

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
sbr32
Country Flag
That makes sense. I suppose by the time you are usually getting MB everyone worth hitting already has Block anyway.

jounisii

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
jounisii
Country Flag
TYS pretty much everything important, except... I'm gonna try jump up on an elf blitzer soon. Dodge, tackle before that tho. JU is a killy skill allowing blocks from the ground and if that happens close to cage, sidestep helps a lot here, it can cause grey hairs to oppos who are being elf swarmed.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Yes I missed that one off.
One of my Blitzers has Jump Up and it has been useful a couple of times.

CariadocThorne

Veteran
Country Flag
Recently I've been experimenting with grab as a first double for my blitzers. Blodgestep grabbers are perfect for pulling people out of cages and setting up chain pushes or crowd surfing.

I used to try building my blitzers as killers, but you can't rely on getting 2 doubles, and MB without PO doesn't make enough difference to be worth it on an elf team IMO. You can't match the killyness of bash teams (higher av, often higher str, more access to guard and POMB/CPOMB), so I prefer to focus on elven teams superior positioning (high ma and agi, access to dodge, sidestep etc) and build on that to ensure I get more blocks and that they are always favourable.

Everblue

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
With elves I always find the most important thing is to get the ball and score. You absolutely have to have a cage breaking threat otherwise you just get smashed. Thus tackle, diving tackle, fend are all good, with guard on doubles. Also consider leap.

On an elven blitzing piece (usually a catcher) then frenzy is a good substitute for MB, as it massively increases your chance of a depitch, gives you a surfing threat, and you usually have the move to support it.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Juggernaut on doubles is good for stripballling and oneturning against standfirmers (if you have a 12-mover at least) and with frenzy it makes for even better surfing.

But a single MB on an elf team occasionally makes a difference - just getting the stun can make a lot.

CariadocThorne

Veteran
Country Flag
Sorry, I didn't mean to say MB isn't worth it on elf teams as such. I mainly meant in terms of trying to build a dedicated killer. MB on its own is not enough for a proper killer, and since elven blitzers need doubles for MB, PO and Juggernaut, I don't think it is worth trying to build them as killers.

Picking MB for players who already have any double skills their role requires and who roll another double is often worth it though. Over the years I've had numerous blodge-guard linemen pick up mighty blow, and the little bit of extra hitting power does make a difference. As you say, even an extra stun helps.