Best Race for World Cup Finals

SlyAnimal

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
PapaNasty
Country Flag
During the World Cup Qualifiers, there have been a huge amount of Dark Elf teams, many of which have reached the finals/semi finals.

I'm curious, if you were to gain a ticket to the World Cup Finals (Which from memory is a 64 player Knockout Competition), which teams do you think would be the most viable?

I'm thinking that Wood Elves and skaven would probably be the best, followed by Dark Elves and High Elves (As they'd likely surpass skaven/WEs in the later rounds). But with that in mind, a "counter" to these agi teams, like Orcs/Dwarves could be interesting to see.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what opinions you guys have about the viability of each race in a short competition like the World Cup Finals, where you can't afford to lose a game and would, at the most, play a total of 6 games vs experienced/skilled coaches (So no feasting on easy SPP vs novice players).

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
I'd pick the race with best stats. And see what other skills may help. You won't gain many skills, so what you had at the beginning, you'll have to work with.
Liz and Cha sounds interesting, but they are slow starters. Although there were coaches that had luck with them. I had not.
Ska and DaE maybe a better choice as they offer advantages with speed or agi/armor combination. Wood Elves have speed. Orcs has armor.
Damn, the choice is pretty hard. Even Brets have some advantage on low TV.
So, I don't know - just pick whatever you are more comfortable to play with and do your best. The rest is just luck. ;)

Squall

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I think Dark Elves or Wood Elves still.

Dark elves need only 6 spp on 6 players for blodge and WE have WD.

If bash then Orcs or Dwarves. Skinks vs WE is not a good matchup so I wouldn;t pick lizards (that and the complete lack of block)

Skaven are ok but WE > Skaven at the start. WE it is hard to get a good starting team unless low rr I guess so still my best choice is DE. Bret are ok but DE should beat them.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I would definetly play WE. With just 6-8 games (last rounds are best of 3), they get a huge advantage with 2 Blodgers, and a Dodger. With 2 RR and the rest of the team AG4 and MA7, this is serious advantage. Having a lot of block skills may not really be an advantage in this format, as most teams will make sure you don't get more than a blitz per turn.

Get Strip Ball ASAP, maybe on the two Wardancers. If opponent can't score, you should win. :)

But then, Dwarves may be excellent if there's a lot of Dodge...

notorious noob

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Dark elves are the best choice imho. While wood elves will be slightly better as a team (% winrate) the chance of imploding is also much much bigger compared to dark elves. So dark elves or wood elves if your willing to gamble on not imploding.

Not expecting undead/necro to be released in time for the WC which would have provided alternatives.

coldy

Star Player
Cyanide Username
coldy
Country Flag
For a very short tournament, i think woodies are better than darkies... But it is better to play with the race you enjoy.

Orielensis

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Orielensis
Cyanide Username
Orielensis
Country Flag
For a very short tournament, i think woodies are better than darkies... But it is better to play with the race you enjoy.

Absolutely. wood elves have more win potential and are stronger at 1000 tv (just work out how many spp a delf blitzer needs to have identical stats and skills to a 0 spp WD - apart from AV). Got to win your first games first!

I kinda disagree with the noobster because I think, to win the WC, you'd have to go in not expecting any disasters. It can obviously happen to anyone. But if it does, likely your chance has gone anyway.

All that said, per coldy, I would play delves because I am not a good/experienced enough welf coach.

notorious noob

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Absolutely. wood elves have more win potential and are stronger at 1000 tv (just work out how many spp a delf blitzer needs to have identical stats and skills to a 0 spp WD - apart from AV). Got to win your first games first!

I kinda disagree with the noobster because I think, to win the WC, you'd have to go in not expecting any disasters. It can obviously happen to anyone. But if it does, likely your chance has gone anyway.

All that said, per coldy, I would play delves because I am not a good/experienced enough welf coach.

You cant afford to implode even once with the BO1s so that is the reason I would pick Darkies over them. Didnt say picking woodies was wrong just said I would take the consistency over the slightly better team.

Orielensis

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Orielensis
Cyanide Username
Orielensis
Country Flag
You cant afford to implode even once with the BO1s so that is the reason I would pick Darkies over them. Didnt say picking woodies was wrong just said I would take the consistency over the slightly better team.

I don't think darkies are wrong either - you are taking the classic skilled-player-approach-to-BB of minimising risk/rng, definitely nothing wrong there.

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
Just look how many d.elves made into WCQ finals - as many as half, if I am not mistaken. This surely points out the great potential with them, if you know what you are doing.

coldy

Star Player
Cyanide Username
coldy
Country Flag
Just look how many d.elves made into WCQ finals - as many as half, if I am not mistaken. This surely points out the great potential with them, if you know what you are doing.

Imho;
Delves for a WC qualification format,
Welves for the WC final format,
(Nurgle for long seasonal leagues, but i hate to play slow positioning game, most probably lizards or necro)

But if you are good with the nuffle lady, it does not matter that much :).

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Imho;
Delves for a WC qualification format,
Welves for the WC final format,
(Nurgle for long seasonal leagues, but i hate to play slow positioning game, most probably lizards or necro)

But if you are good with the nuffle lady, it does not matter that much :).

Nuffle is a lady? I was sure such a violent a$$ h0le was male. But then, Nuffle can seductively be on your side, or stab you in the back... Maybe he's a she... o_O

Kalick

Star Player
Cyanide Username
Kalick
Country Flag
So if DE and WE are going to be popular in this format, what will people run to counter them? Dwarves?