Orc Should I buy a Troll?

ManBearPig

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
ManBearPig
Country Flag
This is for my BC2 team of Orcs. Currently I have 4 blitzers, 4 Blorcs, 1 Throwers, and 3 lineman. I have a good bit of money just sitting I want to add a player, and am considering the troll. I don't usually play with big guys due to their lack of reliability, but still considering it. This is will be second season for the team, and still in Tier 4

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Some teams need a big guy while others are a lot better without one.

Orcs are in the middle in that the team works fine without them but they can be useful.

If you are facing lots of bash teams then I would get one.
He can stand on the line and take hits a lot better than a lineman.
If the division is mainly agility or hybrid teams then he is less useful.

Arthur Wynne

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I wouldn't, but I'm like you - I don't generally like big guys. 12 players are enough for orcs unless you face tons of claw (and then you have bigger problems).

I recently bought a troll for my own Chaos Edition orc team, but that was because I'm running a novelty build with multiple goblins and no Black Orcs, and I wanted more strength on the pitch. A normal orc team doesn't need him.

ManBearPig

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
ManBearPig
Country Flag
Thanks guys. I really thought that he wasn't needed, but thought maybe someone could say otherwise. Looks like I was right. If next season has lots of bash in my division maybe...

Orielensis

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Orielensis
Cyanide Username
Orielensis
Country Flag
I agree with tys (are you facing more bash or more agi?).

But don't forget the one turn option if you take a gobbo too. A bit like a wizard, the fact it's possible sometimes changes the way your opponent has to play to your advantage even if you never use it or it doesn't work.

Khornight

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
Khornight (also my steam name and most other things)
Country Flag
Tryhard: nope. Only worth it if you are being out bashed and need more strength and less speed. Which shouldn't happen very often.

Fun: you must get them and 4 gobo's. The one turn threat is pretty rubbish, although amazing when it happens. What is more likely to be effective is throwing gobo's at cages, the most likely outcome is they will knock down a corner. The next most likely outcome is they will land next to the ball carrier... This is one of the few times you can kill one of your own players and it not result in a turn over, so basically a free action! :)

Also if the other team fail to pick up the ball lobbing a gobo into their backfield and going for the pick up is also pretty effective!

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag
Throwing goblins is indeed fun, but if you really want to go that route Underworld might be a better choice!

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
Throwing goblins is indeed fun, but if you really want to go that route Underworld might be a better choice!

Or you know, goblin teams are pretty good at being able to have trolls throw goblins too...

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag
Goblins with two heads are just filthy!

DireSickFish

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
SickFish
Cyanide Username
DireSickFish
Country Flag
Big Crunch 2 has neither of those teams so Orcs are your 1 stop shop for gobbo throwing.

I don't play Orcs, and it's midseason so you've likely decided already. How much block do you have on your Black Orcs? If there reliability is up there with Blitzers it would be a much easier pick up for me. If your MVP's have been messing these brutes it'd be hard to justify the reduction in reliability.

Brody

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I have recently played a lot of orcs and love my big guy. Obviously if he gets block he is much better off, but I put guard on him first (didn't double). I rarely attack with him, I just use him as a guard piece. I will move him into cages, with an 83% chance of moving, but save the blitzing for my MB blitzers. A 5str guard is nice to have, especially if you don't have a 5 str black orc. But when I get 3 dice blocks, I take it with troll, and he has MB so its a nice try at a CAS. I don't ever try to throw goblins, instead I give them sneaky git and foul every turn that I have at least a 40% of injury until hes flagged. I have two gobbos for this purpose.

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
I agree with tys (are you facing more bash or more agi?).

But don't forget the one turn option if you take a gobbo too. A bit like a wizard, the fact it's possible sometimes changes the way your opponent has to play to your advantage even if you never use it or it doesn't work.
I agree with that opinion. If you can afford from TV perspective, get the guy, but make sure to get a goblin with him too. I played it such goblin was always near him, so BoneHead was mitigated and i could have thrown it when needed. And usually other players stay away from Troll, so goblin was somewhat safe.

Troll without goblin? Meh...

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
The goblins job is to sit on the sidelines and fart until you need to make a oneturner or possibly a twoturner. Then he comes on in and tries to get the troll to eat him. :p
(Troll ain't a good enough protection for the gobbo, and gobbo is way more fragile than a lino)

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
(Troll ain't a good enough protection for the gobbo, and gobbo is way more fragile than a lino)
Yeah, probably not against you, but was good enough the leagues I played before. ;)

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
It is a good plan in theory, and it will work from time to time, but once your troll goes stupid the goblin should probably either be hidden or run away if the opposition have plenty of tackleMB, while a lino should stand safer.

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
It is a good plan in theory, and it will work from time to time, but once your troll goes stupid the goblin should probably either be hidden or run away if the opposition have plenty of tackleMB, while a lino should stand safer.
yeah as i said i am 50/50 guy. and you can't throw a lino :p

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
Also a Ma7 Blitzer 1 turns easier than a gobbo throw does, or at least places it down to coaching ability opposed to blind luck. with Grab and Frenzy its not that difficult to get the pushes though the ball collection and distribution is always going to be risky but no more so than a Gobbo throw.

However Trolls are good at taking/absorbing damage and are often best not acting and just standing, providing guard when its important anyway. When defending 4 blitzers, 4 BO, 1 Troll and two Line Orcs is the way forwards in my view for what little its worth. :D

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
yeah as i said i am 50/50 guy. and you can't throw a lino :p

I do agree that there should be a gobbo on the sidelines for the tossing (and for those games where three bobs decide to get hurt in the first four turns ;))

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I'd have to disagree that a MA7 blitzer 1 turns easier than a TTM.
I have never had a MA7 1 turner scored against me though a couple of dark elf teams have come close.
However I have had quite a few goblin TTM's scored against me.

willpower68

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I'd have to disagree that a MA7 blitzer 1 turns easier than a TTM.
I have never had a MA7 1 turner scored against me though a couple of dark elf teams have come close.
However I have had quite a few goblin TTM's scored against me.
i never scored with MA7 but at least 2 TTM and havent done that many actully.. but i eat my agi4 goblin aswell :cool:
i like Trolls mostly at low tv and high since 110 tv is good for a str5 with reg and MB ad with +20 for guard its very nice.. i never used apo on my troll and he reg 2-3 times on perm dam.. so he lasted+50 games..died when got block on 1 dice pow on him :rolleyes: