Modelling Steam Ogres

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Hi Coaches

I've been thinking about making a Dwarf Engineers team for a while now. Originally I was going to use the Chaos Dwarf roster: the blockers would be engineers, bulls and mino are steam-powered walkers and the hobos as clockwork tin men.

However, after playing a my Dwarf team for a bit I fancy something a bit more daft than CD's. I'm now thinking about using the Ogre roster with 6 steam-powered walkers!

I've been looking at the 40k Killa Kans as a base model. Should be fairly easy to remove the orkiness and dwarf them up. Sling a steam engine on the back there you go. My question is, would they be too big for a bb pitch?

Also, no idea what to do with the snotlings...

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
They are a bit big but you could probably get away with it.

What about spiders for the snotlings. I shouldn't be too hard to find some figures the right size.
Paint them a metal colour and glue on some cogs or small rods to make them look mechanical.

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
How about some small robots? Something like these: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/robot/latest/50015

Or perhaps those small Tau floaty thingies?

A bit too sci-fi for me, but I like the idea of drones. Some clockwork gyrocopter-esque drones with a dwarf engineer on the sideline managing the remote controls would go nicely!

Hmm, a bit more digging and I see the Kans come on 60mm bases, looks like their feet go the full width too. I might be able to get a bit creative and have them in dynamic one foot poses. Anyone played around with the Killa Kans kit?

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Prototype gyrodrone for replacing the snotlings is done:

Gyro%20Drone_zpso3eyjzmu.jpg

Quick paint job to get the feel of it. It's a little larger for the 'titchy' skill but I think it encompasses the other snotling skills and stat line.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Looking good. I like them and while they may not be small they do look rather hard to tackle and fairly fragile which is basically all titchy does.

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Okay, so I crumbled, took a gamble and bought some Killa Kans to see how they'd go:

Steam%20Ogres%20Front_zpsk1imru3b.jpg

Steam%20Ogres%20Back_zpsfg1ljvvn.jpg

I still need to do a few things before painting them; tidy up joins, add an articulated hand to the right arms, fix carriage lamps to all of them, etc but I thought I'd get them up to show the size. They are a bit large. As you can see in the pics, with a static pose they just manage to get a bit of each foot on a 32mm base. I trimmed the hip joints off to reduce the width a bit, I think it night have helped with the posing surprisingly.

Dwarven steam ogres that'll dwarf an ogre! but they are the right scale to 'contain' a dwarf pilot.

If anyone can recommend a good source of large mechanical hands that would be suitable I'd be grateful. Also, is there a good technique for adding wood grain texture to flat surfaces? I was thinking about putting a thin layer of greenstuff over the front panels and then pressing some wood in to it, just to low-tech them a bit. Not sure if there's a better way...

KevinC

Rookie
Country Flag
They look very impressive! I wouldn't go with the wood look, they look totally 'punk as is. Try hoard bits on ebay for hands.

Thain Esh Kelch

Veteran
Country Flag
Haha, nice job!

Instead of mechanical hands, you can just go with what they have, and pretend the cannons are sucktion thingies that scoop up the ball, and shoot it out again when needed. ;) You can even model a couple of them to have part of the ball sticking out of the hole!