Tactics Team selection against advanced Orcs

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Hi Coaches

Looking for some team advice...

We've just finished the first season of our league, my Dwarves came in second. The winner played an Orc team and was unbeaten in 12 games. His team value is now 1880 although he's taken 7 guards to keep up with my guard heavy Dwarves. I know most of the other coaches are considering new teams for the next season.

I'm not sure whether to keep going with my Dwarves (tv1520) in to the second season. They're able to bring some pain to the Orcs but I have the feeling they'll be pretty unfun to play against as a new team for the other guys. I've looked at starting a new team myself but not sure if anything has a hope against the orcs. Was thinking maybe Skaven?

I've not played many unbalanced matches, do inducements even things up well at those levels? I'd have enough for some good star players but then they'd be hogging all those juicy SPPs and my guys wouldn't advance.

Cheers

Olber

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
If he's keeping his team with lots of Guard through to next season it's going to be very hard to beat with any new team.

Your best chance is a deep kick and swarm the ball carrier before they get secure, an induced wizard could also turn the tables. Generally though inducements are slightly over costed to help even up the gap but not completely. This is in a bid to stop coaches abusing them, though I feel that perhaps they could have done with some tweaks in the new release, but that's another thread.

Wood Elves are the obvious choice to go for, Skaven could perhaps work but its still going to be tough. I'd think your best bet would be to keep your Dwarf team.

The other option would be for everyone in the league just try and foul his players and survive the game. Hopefully you can soften his team up for the next opponent...

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I have to agree with Coach. Taking on a 1800+ orc team with rookies is going to be tough whatever team you take.
The only one with half a chance would be woodies with Wizard , Freshbreeze and Sidewinder.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Lizards is an option as you'll our strength the orcs especially with Slibli, though 7 guard counter balances that a bit. Claw is the traditional answer to dwarfs but the claw teams take a season to get going.

Gio

Veteran
Country Flag
Just for kicks and giggles take a Gobo team full of Secret weapons, Star players and bribes so you can foul him into oblivion... might not win the season, but the rest of the coaches will thank you enormously.

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
My first thought was along the same lines, @Gio - except that I would have suggested Flings (if it's table top or BBCE). Some of the most vicious teams I ever played have been Flings :eek:

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Thanks for the advice folks. I'm leaning towards Skaven, rather than taking the Dwarves onward. Whilst I can take losing to a more powerful team, I don't like beating a weaker one. I'll take another look at the Welfs though before I commit.

Goblins did cross my mind but I had visions of all the CAS SPP I'd give him as his he splatted his way through my team. If I go Skaven and aim for a DP lineman or two that would give me the gang foul approach? Spread his team wide to mark my GR's then pick on a blitzer a turn.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
If you're especially worried about the Orc team then you can also consider getting Claw when you roll doubles (usually on a Skaven Blitzer).

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag
Skaven will be tougher to use to beat the Orc team than a rookie WE team. Both are AV7, but the WEs can dodge their players away from contact a lot more reliably than skaven can; which could leave them less damaged. The problem with skaven against a high level orc team is once the linerats are out you get your positionals smothered, and dodge isn't enough protection against orcs with tackle and MB.

But they are fun, and if you got lucky a wizard and the claw star player might keep you in the match.

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
To be honest it sounds like the Orc coach should reroll. New teams vs 1880 Orcs (which is a hell of a lot for 12 games btw) are going to get slaughtered against a competent coach, which if he was unbeaten he must be.

If that's not an option then I'd agree Wood Elves have the best chance of a result as you should be able to limit the blocks received, but you could have half your team dead by the time the Orc match rolls around.

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Thanks for the comments guys. I've ordered the Black Scorpion vermin team in the end. I just can't make myself like the new GW skaven team, think the paint job on their site doesn't help. Should be quite a cgange from playing my dwarves!