Undead Mummy rolls a 12, what to do?

crown

Rookie
Country Flag
Hi guys,

I've started a new league and am just playing with some friends who are a lot more experienced than I. I decided on Undead after playing a few quick games with them and the minatures they had to hand over the last few weeks (Orcs, Undead, Dwarves).

Anyway, first game went well, managed a 1-0 win against Chaos and didn't tkae any casualties myself. Only skilled 1 player and not much SPP unfortunately but got a Block ghoul. Mummy got MVP which was nice.

Second game went much better, 2-0 against Khemri. I took a BH ghould and dead zombie (but thats what they're for!) and got quite a lot of SPP myself including a fair few causalties. The other mummy got the MVP and skilled, and of course rolled a double 6.

Now I was set on Block before hand but now I'm starting to wonder. What do you guys think? The other teams in the league are Orcs (newer player than me) and the other veterans are playing Nurgle, Dark Elf, Pro Elf, Necromantic and Amazon.

The thing that's got me reconsidering block is if I roll a second double next time I'll regret not taking +str, which Im l likely never to roll again. I was planning on Guard>Break Tackle but now I'm thinking +Str>Break Tackle could make him quite fearsome.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Country Flag
It si a though call.
I think the +St will be really good against the orc and nurgles and to extend Necro, but won't help you that much against the two elven teams and the amazons.

When you face off aginst the bashers the extra strength will tie up their players. Even a warrior, Flesh Golem or a Black Orc will need three assists two get two dices.

The agility teams will just try to get away from you, but with a single assist your ST6 mummy will get three dices against their ST3's negating somehow the lack of Block.

I would take it for the sheer terror it would induce in your opponents

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
-snorts- Yeah, STR 6. Ah - terrifying! Oh wait... the Mummy has all of 3 MV, meaning that "terrifying" Strength is now wasted. Especially if you roll Both Downs.

No, you want to take Block. The Mummy needs to stay on it's feet so it can make use of it's STR, and putting more on it will just make it more useless if it's on its back or too far from any players.

I'm all for +STR, but on a Mummy? It'll be a no-skill 170K piece with the STR-boost. That's a lot of money for a 3 MV piece.

SorroW

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
-snorts- Yeah, STR 6. Ah - terrifying! Oh wait... the Mummy has all of 3 MV, meaning that "terrifying" Strength is now wasted. Especially if you roll Both Downs.

No, you want to take Block. The Mummy needs to stay on it's feet so it can make use of it's STR, and putting more on it will just make it more useless if it's on its back or too far from any players.

I'm all for +STR, but on a Mummy? It'll be a no-skill 170K piece with the STR-boost. That's a lot of money for a 3 MV piece.
Actually I agree with this.. Block is so much better. And really really needed.

Sure 3 dice are really fun, and ST 6 might be more fun. But I think that Block is better hands down!

/SorroW

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
It depends upon what future development path you see for your mummy. If he is to be "annoying roadblock" then block is best - then guard and stand firm. Future doubles can be used for dodge and any more could be used for jump up or some other amusement.

If you want him to dodge into cages and generally bash wildly then go for the strength. Future is break tackle, grab then possibly guard and stand firm.
Future doubles is dodge, then frenzy, then block. (Block could be moved up, but isn't really needed ;)

Country Flag
I recon the argument with the 170k no skill player, but with ST6 followed by Break Tackle you will be able to dodge into a classic cage on 3+ and still get the upperhand against the ball carrier.
Actually I think that if you on place him in the center on defense - not on scrimmage - you will experience that your opponent will avoid the center and try to move through the wide zone. I could see a Wight with Frenzy work well with this toiletpaperbehemoth.

Doover

Star Player
Country Flag
ST+1
You´ll get another doulbe much easier then you get another ST+1.

Also if Nuffle overs you a ST+1 and you don´t use it why should he something that good to you ever again?

Only way I would choose block when it´s a small league and you won´t get more then 2 lvl ups with them.

jrpeart

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
jrpeart
Cyanide Username
jrpeart
Country Flag
The safe course of action is Block, the fun one is +ST.

I faced a similar choice with a Krox and went with +ST and he's been good value for it so far.

Country Flag
Maybe Nuffle wants to laugh at him when a snotling rolls two "both down" results against him ?

That would have to be three :bothdown:, unless the Snotling has 2 assists.

I agree with Doover, rolling 6+6 is a gift from Nuffle, don't reject it, or you will pay the price. ;)

On a less theological :p note, the 'dodging into a cage on a 3+ then getting 2 dice v.s. str 3 even if there are 2 'Guard' assists' thing is worth it. Take Break Tackle, then Juggernaut if you feel the need, and your Mummy will be the terror of your league.

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
-sighs- It's a Mummy. It has 3 Movement - IF you are lucky/ unlucky to not have a player to tie it up. At STR 6, all you need to do is either avoid it, or feed it something you don't care about dying/ is hard to kill.

Yes, the 3 squares it controls by sheer potential placement make it an annoying obstacle, but no more so than a Treeman, and that's hardly a piece everyone fears for having STR 6, is it?

3 Movement, with no method of dodging or blocking properly, may mean that with STR 6 and an assist, you have a 1/27 chance of going down against a STR 3 player without a re-roll, but that's still worse odds than the 1/36 for having more STR and Block. Neither of those odds use a RR, so clearly Block is better.

You're all thinking about how terrifying it looks on paper, but it's no use being powerful when you can't hit anything - that's why Wood Elves don't always pick up a Treeman.

STR 6 is terrible on the Mummy for the sheer reason that all the opposition needs do is tie it up and neutralise it's ability. That, and for all the people advocating starting it off the LOS - how do you propose earning it SPPs? Scoring a TD? If it doesn't even use the STR-boost, it's even sillier to pick it up.

When someone offers me a good use for a STR 6, unskilled Mummy, then I may change my tune, but until then, it remains in my mind, a useless skill choice.

Last edited:

Doover

Star Player
Country Flag
Well some WE Teams take the Treeman. I would always do.
If you compare him with a Tree you forget a few important thinks:
- No Take Root.
- MV 3 so no standing up and one more range
- No Loner!!! So you can Re-Roll and you can make GFI´s to increase the range to 5 squares.
- one less AV but also regen.

Most important... WE´s can play without a Treeman. They are Elfs. But try to play Undead without Mummies? Good Luck.
Mummies are really important for undead to get and keep control at the ball. And that is where St6 helps. You can even attack a 3-guard-dwarf wall without any Guard for yourself.

With strengh 6 you can start thinking about Multi-Block. Especially if you are lucky enough to get Block later as well.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
He also makes for an exelent cage corner with ST6, and just be course you dont put him on LOS when kicking does not mean that he will stay out of action, it just means that you can place him where all that strenght actualy does some good. And if you worry about the mummy getting tied up then just block away with your assisting player and presto you have a free mummy. And if they two dice against the mummy, then they will face a mighty blow in 30,56 % of the times unless they reroll the :skull:

Go for ST6 it gives you plenty usefull options in later development:powdodge: