Chat Box Opinions

Chat Box Use

• I use it all the time on the home page and would miss it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use it all the time on the separate chat box only page

• I use it occasionally but would like it to remain

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I use it occasionally but wouldn't miss it much

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I use dischord (or similar) and wouldn't miss it

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I never use it and wouldn't miss it.

• Total voters

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I received an email yesterday notifying me that the forum software (version 1) that the website is currently using will become end of life at the end of 2019.

Version 2 of the forum software came out last year, however not all the additions that I've put on the forum are available for v2. It's been a while since I checked into upgrading to v2 so I'm hoping more functionality can be carried over when I finally do make the switch.

So I just wanted to gauge the opinions on the chat box to find out if it's worth the extra server resources to keep it in place or not. Times have changed a bit since it was first installed as I understand players are using services like dischord or similar. If I did remove the chat box then I'd be happy to set up a link or some way to point to dischord (or whatever).

I welcome any comments and feedback below and please vote in the poll.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Honestly the chat gets very little use these days. Not every coach is on discord but enough that the chat gets neglected.

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
Yea, I voted I use it occasionally as I do but I also use discord.

Sataric

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sataric
Cyanide Username
Sataric
Country Flag
Same as above. Primarily I tend to only use the chat if the coach I am trying to communicate with isn't on Discord yet. If they are, I reach out to them there instead.

And I want to say, @Coach , that I think you deserve a ton of credit for actually asking your community what they feel and think about these kind of matters. You are a paragon among men.

mamutas

Super Moderator
Steam Username
mamutas
Cyanide Username
mamutas
Country Flag
Agree with what was said. I don't think chat is getting much use now with Discord, so idea of Discord reference or integration into the website is a good one in my opinion.
And, of course, thanks very much coach for keeping the site up for all of us.

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
I use it occasionally but would it to remain

That's my vote. It has been useful for announcing streams, and when I create important threads. But it isn't matter of life and death. We got Discord.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
I do not have reliable internet 9 months of the year as I work in northern Greenland - at best it is like a 56k modem connection. I would like for the chat to remain as I would be free from having another tab open.

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
@Coach I seem to recall donating for the chatbox when you switched the website to its current format. I am sure myself or/and other could do the same again if it helps.