New rule for Season 20 and onward

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I agree that the rule is somewhat redundant, but it was felt that the old rule was not worded specifically enough to address the particular issue of when soft concedes go too far. They fell in a grey area since soft conceding is allowed in general. The new rule makes it explicit that we expect there to be limits on this particular type of behavior.

FatZomby

Star Player
Steam Username
FatZomby
Cyanide Username
FatZomby
Country Flag
I think I understand the rule for this. This would be to not allow someone to hide a not-allowed concede, especially closer to the end of the season. Two things though...

First, a coach in the NFL (or whoever makes the decisions) will bench star players to avoid them from getting hurt when it won't make a difference of a win or loss for the remainder of the season. This "concept" for BB is a bit difficult to do for some teams as "back up" players are too expensive, or they lose the less important players early on and have to "play" their star players after all. Maybe something could be implemented to allow a game to be played still, but something to leave out the star players....???

Second, what happens if you take a beating in the first few turns of the match. I have had matches (not necessarily in this league yet) where I lose four + players to injury/death in those early turns of a drive. I am not counting KO's received along with them. Knowing that it takes effort to get the matches in, and also knowing that you already lost the drive/game, a forfeiture at something like this should be on the agenda as I would still want to be competitive in future games instead of being power-housed in them (if I didn't already get that from the received casualties). I know the feeling of the opponent going awww. But me taking that kind of beating early on in the match is raging big-time for not being able to enjoy something of the match.... I would think it would turn out to be a crap game and both of us would have to get over the fact of a non-competitive match while trying to preserve what players we do have. Sadly, the game geared to bash more than score, so this stuff will happen more often than what we would like...

FatZomby

Star Player
Steam Username
FatZomby
Cyanide Username
FatZomby
Country Flag
Also, I would like to add that laying down is also a strategy for the less "armoured" or bashier teams. Why stand up a player to risk him getting hurt twice if he would have a high chance at failure at any action he takes if he takes an action(roll of the die)? I would preserve him for the next drive. By twice, I do mean an action and getting fouled. Most opponent's will foul the important players to try and gain an advantage in future drives.

If you stand, they can still knock you down (and with higher tv teams, this usually means more risk of injury (mb/piling on/claw)). If you stay on the ground, ONE foul and usually only one roll on the injury table instead of potentially two...

If a player holds on to the ball about to score, but won't until the last turn, if well defended, it would be pointless to put my guys in the fire even if I haven't suffered any casualties. However, this is extremely rare. But in the higher leagues, this becomes a bit more common. This rule could be tough to "defend" in my opinion for something like this.

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
@FatZomby

For any reasonable reading of those examples we would not be considering them as a breach of the rule. However in the examples you provide there is a conditional statement on the lines of ‘what happens if you take a beating in the first few turns of the match.’ We are expecting a reasonable definition of ‘a beating’. If by turn 10 you have suffered 7 casualties out of 11 then that is obviously a beating. If at the end of turn 1 you have a injured Snotling leaving you with only 15 players for the rest of the match than it would not be reasonable to soft concede.

I have never liked the idea of vaguely worded rules and I personally am very wary of rules creep but there are occasions where a rule that requires judgement are needed. I will be very wary of enforcing this rule and will be loath to vote that any behaviour is a breach due to the vague definition of the rule but we do want to prevent people from abusing soft concessions so this rule is needed.

FatZomby

Star Player
Steam Username
FatZomby
Cyanide Username
FatZomby
Country Flag
@cjblackburn , yeah, this is a tough one sure enough. Hopefully, you won't have to enforce it or enforce it often. Thank you for replying... :)

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
Is there anything saying what the Sanctions could be.
I assume it is more than a loss.
Kicked out of the league, 51 SPP rule applied, or something else?
Sorry missed your question the first time.

again it’s going to be subjective like with concessions. There are a number of factors to be considered like history of the coach, dialogue during and after the game, state of the team and match state etc. I doubt we would be going straight to the harsh end of the scale without a previous conversation or disciplinary action being taken unless there are other factors in play.

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
I doubt we would be going straight to the harsh end of the scale without a previous conversation or disciplinary action being taken unless there are other factors in play.

And with any offense we proceed like this. We won't become the type of league to straight-up ban and throw people out. Our principle is we don't assume the worst by default.