Wood Elf Full roster, no RR - convince me to not do it

Ahzek

Rookie
Country Flag
I think that the main reason to buy 2 RR is that you will pay double after first game so going 0RR you are planning to waste 100.000 (I don't like leader in elves so I am suposing I will buy 2 RR sooner or later). Woodies lineman are so strong that you don't really need positionals too much beside the 2 wd especially at low tv.
Also rolling a 1 on pick up can ruin a game. It can work for others and it comes down to personal taste here but going blindly into this is not a thing I like.

Infernal Al Davis

Super Star Player
Steam Username
Atomicstarfish
Country Flag
You should wait until all of Lustria picks their rosters, then use your advantage of knowing other coaches rosters, and pick your roster. :cool:Pick Wood Elves too and get yourself a pat on the back for not starting with rerolls. Where's Patbou73? Outside challenging handicapped overweight asthmatics to a foot race.

JJape

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
JJape
Country Flag
Darkies.
I have an unfinished business with them ... planning to try and take to some form of conclusion the blog of my old CC team.
I am still undecided if to go for 4 blitzers 1 runner or 3 blitzers and 1 witch.
I prefer 3blitzer and 1witch roster. Just make sure to score TDs with witch to get block (first match) - rookie witch is better to run the ball in than rookie runner anyways. Avoid blitzing (unless there is some obvious crowd push opportunity) or leaving witch open to blitz before you have apo and block.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Well, that full roster paid off vs Lizardmen on Day 1 in Lustria (won 1-0, rolled a 1 and failed the 2-0 on turn 16).

I’ll be playing Goblins next. My TV is at 990 (including a Journeyman, no skills yet ; one Catcher got a permanent -1 ST and will sit out next game), versus 850k for the Goblins. He’ll get 140k inducements, and has 150k Treasury. @BallztotheWalla will certainly buy 3 bribes to support the fouls and secret weapons.

I have 80k in Treasury. No Apo, no reroll. Should I buy an Apo now, hopefully healing positionals who’ll get fouled or attacked by that chainsaw? This will give him 50k more inducements, however (a 4th bribe?). Or should I keep the money and invest in a reroll for Day 3?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Buy the apothecary.
The max number of bribes is 3 so that apoth just gives him a babe.
He could spend a bit of cash to get fungus the loon but a 2nd ball and chain isn't worth it against elves.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Buy the apothecary.
The max number of bribes is 3 so that apoth just gives him a babe.
He could spend a bit of cash to get fungus the loon but a 2nd ball and chain isn't worth it against elves.
Thanks for the advice @tys123 . I never played stunties, and didn’t know the bribes were capped at 3. Giving him Babes isn’t such a big deal. :)

I guess the reroll will have to wait.

BTW, I tried really hard to follow your tips. One of my 3 Catchers was about to score (and level up, on Day 1), but a lucky Skink rolled a POW on a 1D blitz without reroll (on his turn 16). I managed to blitz it on my turn 16, and Thrower, with 2 completions so far, only needed a 2+ dodge and 2+ pick up to score. He could have leveled up next game (I was then thinking about you and the 3+ SPPs per game I should get on my Thrower). But a 1 on pick up denied that 2-0. Still happy I won, but it could have been a more decisive and rewarding victory. Oh well... :)

BallztotheWalla

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
buy the apo, as gobbos you need 150 or 250(2 bribes and the dirty player star) to get anything good against elves, + losing a wardancer or tree would mean your entire gamble with the full roster was for nothing so there is that to.

i might just upgrade a regular gobbo to pogo for the extra tv.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
buy the apo, as gobbos you need 150 or 250(2 bribes and the dirty player star) to get anything good against elves, + losing a wardancer or tree would mean your entire gamble with the full roster was for nothing so there is that to.

i might just upgrade a regular gobbo to pogo for the extra tv.

Thanks a lot for the advice. :) Respect. :D

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Apo, apo, APO!
You don't want that chainsaw to detach the head of your wardancer.

You have time to think it off but I'd also fire the st1 catcher.
It'll be 3 dice against him on every block he'll take ...

Ahzek

Rookie
Country Flag
apo is a must here. fire the catcher before he steals more mvp. woodies loners are the best especially on los. as predicted it will take forever to get those 2 rerolls...

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
After a lot of practice with the full roster (in Big Crunch, CCL Ranked and CCL Casual), I doubt it’s the right roster for Woodies. The standard line with 2 rerolls, 2 dancers and a Catcher is probably the best. Rerolls won’t die or get permanently injured, and rerolls are necessary to do the elf bullshit they are known for. A dancer with strip ball just can’t abuse the skill to leap in and blitz the carrier when you have no reroll (unless very desperate). And while it’s well possible to win against Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves with 2 rerolls, it’s near impossible to do so without. The matchup becomes entirely dependant on luck, which means defeat most of the time. Finally, leveling up Linemen is very difficult with a full roster. The 3 Catchers are the most likely to score and will hoard the SPPs. Without Thrower and less Catchers, the Linemen are more likely to do completions, score TD and get MVP. That way, when you finally get cash to buy the missing positionals, most Linemen are likely to have Dodge and maybe even Block or Wrestle. The whole team is better spamming these skills, than when all the levels are concentrated on the dancers and catchers.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
BTW, my latest iteration of Woodies without reroll is 5th in race in CCL Ranked, with a 6-2-3 record (read above post for my new opinion on this roster). The 3 matches that I lost were against Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves and Undead. The Tackle teams just devoured me without rerolls.

The Undead coach was a brilliant guy, that played extremely well (SERGUL, 72% with Undead, top 3 at the moment with 8-0-0). He played long turns, I had time to think, and didn’t make any mistake, IIRC. I even managed to pressure opponent to score 2-1 before last turn (strip ball dancer made him lose the ball 3 times, but I failed to convert that into a defensive TD). I was then setting up to score the equalizer for 2-2, with 2 turns to go and a small number advantage, when the ref decided I should lose a turn. I didn’t setup for a one turner, so gg.

Was that a mistake? Do you setup for a one turner with 2 turns to go?

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
In bash-heavy leagues I still think that a roster with 1RR, 2 dancers, treeman and option of thrower or catcher is a good compromise.
You have only 1 RR, so you need to play conservative, but there is substantial muscle to withstand the bashing. Then if you chose the thrower option you rush leader and by game 2 or 3 you have 2RR and possibly a catcher.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I don't think setting up for the one turner with 2 turns left is worth it no. Or I guess it depends how close your one turn setup is to your 2 turn setup, if it doesn't affect your ability to 2 turn then yeah why not.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I don't think setting up for the one turner with 2 turns left is worth it no. Or I guess it depends how close your one turn setup is to your 2 turn setup, if it doesn't affect your ability to 2 turn then yeah why not.
That’s what I thought. I’ll try to setup for both next time. It’s sad I failed to draw this game. I played very well against the best, and could even have won. @BallztotheWalla would have been proud of my coaching abilities (nothing to do with the crap I did against his Goblins). :)