Tactics Skill Allocation Advice VII

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Yeah that’s the reason for Dodge - protection. He isn't guaranteed to always get a knockdown and has a huge target on his back. I think I can definitely put Tackle off until 76 spp, but then it comes down to a choice between Dodge and Jump Up now.

Any advice on the stadium upgrade?

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
He’s your killer. Tackle will make it better at that. Jump Up too. I’d skip Dodge on that player, if I were you.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Tackle won’t be needed in the next three matches and the rate he is gaining spp at the moment he could well be close to another level after that.

For context, I have another wolf who is Blodge, MB & Tackle (AV 7 thanks to a fireball) and a Wight with MB & Tackle too.

Also, I think this is different compared to a killer on a bash team that you can easily hide after each hit. Necro wolves tend to be more exposed to counter hits, hence why I think Dodge will keep him on the field more, leading to him being more effective.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the thoughts of others here, because I don’t think there is only one correct choice and it helps me to think it through by hearing what others would take.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
I've no idea what to do with the stadium enhancements. :D

The reason I'd ultimately skip dodge (despite it being viable and good choice) is that sometimes it is better to have the blitz as one of the earlier actions on your turn. If there's the need to dodge out (didn't get the 80% knockdown, or got a removal without piling on), even with free reroll that 3+ would feel quite risky for me, so I'd leave the wolf there anyways being marked most likely. At least block+dodge would help taking the next hit, but it's not guaranteed, especially if they happen to have tackle (one big reason I am also not too high on dodge). But you always have the option to bring some support with your own players there if the situation calls for it, like guard golems.

All players (even killers) die eventually, so jump up lets you spill more blood for the blood gods. ;) That said I know you'll make it work either way and are on right track on not taking tackle due to the next 3 games not requiring it.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Yeah, I will definitely take Tackle on the next skill-up, unless he rolls something special, in which case I will see. I just think that I will get more use out of Dodge than Jump Up generally speaking. Of course I realise that Jump Up has great synergy with PO, but it can also be a trap sometimes, because it can tempt you into trying for the extra block from the floor, which can fail. My next opponents don't have a lot of Tackle, so having another blodger can be very effective - especially one with MA 8. I think that one of the advantages that wolves bring to the table is the versatility and I think that Dodge feeds into that more than Jump Up.

There is a good reason why people take Dodge as a skill way more than Jump Up too - it gets used much more frequently. I realise that 1 in 9 can fail too, but at least it will save using a re-roll for failed dodges in some cases. Dodge makes a better option to carry the ball in some cases too. I think my mind is probably already made up, but I know it's not an easy choice!

If anyone has an opinion regarding the best stadium enhancement I am all ears! I can see the general merit of the Security Gate, as both Riots and Pitch Invasion will likely cause me more problems than positive scenarios. Saying that I really hate the Throw a Rock event with a passion, although getting a free bribe can be nice for this team seeing as I have a DP zombie and am often playing as the over-dog against most teams.

burning_phoneix

Super Star Player
Steam Username
burning.phoneix
Country Flag
Got a Dwarf Troll Slayer who already has Mighty Blow and he rolled a normal level up. Guessing I should get Piling On? Maybe tackle?

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Stand Firm, to avoid getting surfed when you yourself surf on a block instead of blitz, or if you don’t have enough MA left to get out of the danger zone.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
Piling on absolutely. Keeps him protected and helps you deal more damage which gives more room for your bearded stunties. Stand firm is alright. On the other hand Trollslayer is kinda slow and there won't be so good surfs available every game, and he's a player you do not want to be hit generally. So after mb I'd take piling on for trollslayer, then juggernaut (excellent with frenzy killers) or tackle (you have a lot of it, but it's still fantastic for killer set). The other skill will be picked next. Jump up is a neat double to take.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Finally a double on a dark elf blitzer.
It's his first skill.
Team is composed of 4 blitzers (1 with dodge and 1 with ma8), dodge runner, witch and 3 linos.

MB or guard?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I would take guard. Blodgestep guard is the perfect level 4 blitzer.
I would take MB on a witch or a 2nd double on a blitzer (or lineman).

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
I was also leaning towards guard.
However i heard arguments that first double on dark elves blitzers should be MB.
Double on the witch I would be leaning towards juggernaut before mb, therefore a mb blitzer would be needed anyway, and if I don't take it now I fear I won't take it at all as the next would have the same problem: would it be better to have 1 guard and 1 mb or 2 guard?
2 guard and 1 mb or 3 guard?

I'm still leaning towards guard ...

Last edited:

burning_phoneix

Super Star Player
Steam Username
burning.phoneix
Country Flag
Got doubles on this dude:
d1LI6Us.jpg

UuIH5YV

What do?

Tagging @tys123 (sorry)

I already have a blodge MB catcher (You can see my team here on BC2standings http://bc2standings.eu/teams/3210490) so I don't think mighty blow is useful here.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I was also leaning towards guard.
However i heard arguments that first double on dark elves blitzers should be MB.
Double on the witch I would be leaning towards juggernaut before mb, therefore a mb blitzer would be needed anyway, and if I don't take it now I fear I won't take it at all as the next would have the same problem: would it be better to have 1 guard and 1 mb or 2 guard?
2 guard and 1 mb or 3 guard?

I'm still leaning towards guard ...
I may be wrong, but I would take Mighty Blow instead of Guard. Any double on a Lineman will be Guard, you’ll never take MB on them. So it’s probably the only chance you have at getting that skill on your team. I would never ever consider anything but MB on a Wardancer’s first double, and I think Dark Elf Blitzers should be considered the same.

If you make that player your dedicated Blitzer, he’ll level up fast with CAS, and you’ll soon get Tackle, Dodge, Side Step, etc...

BallztotheWalla

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Got doubles on this dude:
d1LI6Us.jpg

UuIH5YV

What do?

Tagging @tys123 (sorry)

I already have a blodge MB catcher (You can see my team here on BC2standings http://bc2standings.eu/teams/3210490) so I don't think mighty blow is useful here.

skip the double imo and make him your 1 turner
Edit: just saw that you have a niggled ma 9 too, so make him your 1 turner and give this 1 wrestle Short term or Guard long term

Last edited:

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Normally I would say guard for pro catchers.
But the problem with that in this case is that guard catchers want block and pro teams also want a leaping wrackler.

I would give the ST4 catcher wrestle and then tackle but ST4 is a bit too valuable to leap into cages on a 3+.
The MB catcher already has block so isn't going to be leaping either.

So either the niggled catcher goes wrestle leap tackle and this guy gets guard , block , dodge
or
The niggled catcher goes block , sprint , sure feet and this guy gets wrestle , leap , tackle , dodge in some order.

Guard is probably better long term but it will be a while before you have a wrestler leaping into cages.

burning_phoneix

Super Star Player
Steam Username
burning.phoneix
Country Flag
Normally I would say guard for pro catchers.
But the problem with that in this case is that guard catchers want block and pro teams also want a leaping wrackler.

I would give the ST4 catcher wrestle and then tackle but ST4 is a bit too valuable to leap into cages on a 3+.
The MB catcher already has block so isn't going to be leaping either.

So either the niggled catcher goes wrestle leap tackle and this guy gets guard , block , dodge
or
The niggled catcher goes block , sprint , sure feet and this guy gets wrestle , leap , tackle , dodge in some order.

Guard is probably better long term but it will be a while before you have a wrestler leaping into cages.

I was thinking of making my AG5 Blitzer into the cage leaper. Does that change the paradigm?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I was thinking of making my AG5 Blitzer into the cage leaper. Does that change the paradigm?
Not really.
A 2 dice against leaping in against a player with block has a 1 in 9 chance of knocking the ball free if it is the blitzer, 1 in 36 if that player has dodge.
That is 1 in 4 with a leaping wracker.
Or 1 in 2 if you leap the AG5 guard in 1st which becomes 3 in 4 with a reroll.

So I would give the blitzer leap but also want a catcher with leap and wrestle.

burning_phoneix

Super Star Player
Steam Username
burning.phoneix
Country Flag
Okay, so I'm going dodge first on this dude to increase survivability and tactical options in the short term and mame him the wrackler. Good idea?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I'd take wrestle before dodge unless you are in a low division. There will be far more people with tackle than juggs so while dodge does make him more mobile wrestle keeps him alive longer and you don't currently have anyone with wrestle or tackle to take down blodge players.