Alles gut Averland (S24 Fluff & Banter... And the sorts...)

FemurMuertez

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
FemurMuertez
Cyanide Username
FemurMuertez
Country Flag
Sorry guys I think I’m going to drop out. I don’t think I can take another 7 weeks of having little to no chance in match ups. I’m still pretty new and really aren’t sure how I got moved up have only won 1 game. I’m not even getting any team progression to help so not sure what else to do.

Sad to hear that Krisp.

As Travels already mentioned, this league can be very hard for new coaches and also to new teams. But it is good to keep in mind, that many teams in this league have been completely broken, some more than once, but then they rose from the ashes, greater than ever.
Playing those matches can be taxing, but by playing against better coaches and as an underdog against more experienced teams you can learn much more than just by getting easy free wins.
Especially if you are willing to get pointers from the experienced coaches.

We do not lose. We gain experience.

The choice is yours.

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
@Krisp278 your team looks pretty good and if you take a couple star players and an extra apothecary it should stay in tact. Plus you have ogres the next couple of weeks so that is two free wins. Though one is being coached up by TS, so...
Oh, and take two apos when we play.

@Sephorin With that money I would take a wizard and a bribe but you probably don't don't have a full bench yet or a dirty snot. Other than ending a turn early, two snots are like two bribes! and set up a 3D block whenever you can. Think of snotlings as your rerolls, use their dodges to get into position and roll as many dice as you can. Oh I see your opponent. chainsaw and foul every turn. base and bash.

What are you saving cash for? You could have 13 players. You have six ogres and four RR. Five feels like bloat. Are you rerolling bonehead? that just leads to dub skulls. unless it is play or drive ending, let it go.

Prof 3 skull needs break tackle but once you get guard or more block on everyone, that is a good looking team. You already have as much block as I do. Damn Dorfs! though nine of my first ten levels were doubles or stats. Nothing since.

Last edited:

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
What are you saving cash for? You could have 13 players. You have six ogres and four RR. Five feels like bloat. Are you rerolling bonehead? that just leads to dub skulls. unless it is play or drive ending, let it go.

Four rerolls is good for me. I usually only reroll bonehead if it's an important blitz or a ball carrier getting set to score. Or if it's late in the half and I still have lots of rerolls left. (Under the new 2020 rules for Blood Bowl 3, I think five rerolls might be a good idea since you can use more than one per turn.)

I'm saving money to replace Dan with his -1 MA, or if I lose an ogre to death. I had planned to sit around 140,000, buying snotlings as I go over. Please keep in mind that my goal for this team right now is not to win games. It's to have fun! If I don't have a full roster of ogres, that's less fun for me. :)

Prof 3 skull needs break tackle but once you get guard or more block on everyone, that is a good looking team. You already have as much block as I do. Damn Dorfs! though nine of my first ten levels were doubles or stats. Nothing since.

That's a lot of doubles and stat increases! I need more of that! I would love an agility three ogre with block and sure hands. And maybe dodge? I know, don't get greedy.

I definitely agree! I LOVE block. Any ogre with block is a beautiful thing.

Break tackle is next for the Professer. I probably should have taken that first.

I was sorry to hear about the death of one of your star ogres! :( I can't remember his name right now, but that's gotta be a blow to the team. Your dwarf game was brutal!

Thank you for all of your tips!

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
I think I would just pop the MA4 down on the center of the line and be happy.

We went into today's game down an ogre and then lost one to KO on turn 1. That left snot on the ball the rest of the game and every pick up was a 1 rr into a 2. So nothing good to report other than a 6 on winnings, so +50K we just need 30K more, 40 after the spiral.

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
GG @Sephorin you played well, unfortunately kiselv are a pretty terrible matchup for ogres, one thing, you really should foul more

Thanks so much for the game, @TravelScrabble ! The ogres had a great time. My heart stopped for a moment when you killed Boo Buthwright (the ogre with block and guard), but fortunately our apothecary came through. He's definitely earned his wages. The Professer had a brush with death last season, and our apothecary saved him as well.

Speaking of the Professer, he leveled up! With break tackle, he'll be much more effective.

What do you think makes Keslev a tough matchup for ogres? I was thinking it's almost impossible to carry the ball with a snotling because of all the leaping you can do. It doesn't matter how I cage the ball up, you can usually still pop it out of there. But carrying with an ogre seems doable. (I was lucky to be able to stay away from your strip ball guy.)

Fouling: you're right, of course, but I really don't like to foul. (Except with a chainsaw. Fouling with a chainsaw is fun.) If a good fouling situation falls into my lap, I'll sometimes do it, but I almost never plan for it. If I get a dirty player snotling, I'll probably start learning that aspect of the game.

What did you think of Brick and Grotty? I think they really add a lot to the team. They might be my go-to inducement now. And the animations/design for Grotty are great!

If you have time (and this goes for anyone who reads this), I could use some advice on skill development. Dan also leveled up in our game. He currently has block and rolled doubles:

My first instinct is to take tackle. Two teams with lots of dodge coming up in the schedule. It doesn't help me much against the dwarves, but it would sure be nice to use on the blodging claw beastman on the Chaos team.

Sure hands? Nice, but I think the Professer makes a better ball carrier.

Frenzy? Might be fun.

Dodge? More for a ball carrier, right?

Leader?

One more question: does disturbing presence work on handoffs?

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Well kislev are very good at two turning, which hurts ogres who aren't very good at controlling the clock, and yeah they can pop the ball. Even without strip ball its ca. 50% to pop the ball on a-2d without rr. Plus unlike other teams with their profile kislev are mostly av8. I'm no ogre expert but tackle sounds useful to me.

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
(and this goes for anyone who reads this)

kislev can leap, it only works against ogres, and diving tackle is a snot nightmare. I hate kislev.

I keep a full roster just so I can foul every turn. your snots get a red card or become a red stain

I would take tackle in a heartbeat.
sure hands? you need block hitting people, not carrying. I would add block to a ball carrier though (ag)
frenzy sounds fun.
dodge if you plan on break tackle later? One big guy that is a little harder to take down?
Leader? [Removed] no. Giving up a great skill to save a little TV? The only time I ever took leader on an ogre team was an ag5 snot so I could make sure he would one turn if my opponent scored
I think jump up and diving tackle are both options too but not as good as tackle

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
kislev can leap, it only works against ogres, and diving tackle is a snot nightmare. I hate kislev.

I keep a full roster just so I can foul every turn. your snots get a red card or become a red stain

I would take tackle in a heartbeat.
sure hands? you need block hitting people, not carrying. I would add block to a ball carrier though (ag)
frenzy sounds fun.
dodge if you plan on break tackle later? One big guy that is a little harder to take down?
Leader? [Removed] no. Giving up a great skill to save a little TV? The only time I ever took leader on an ogre team was an ag5 snot so I could make sure he would one turn if my opponent scored
I think jump up and diving tackle are both options too but not as good as tackle

Thank you very much for giving your input! How has Buttercup worked out for you? I know I'm afraid of our matchup because you have an ogre with tackle. I think tackle is probably the way to go for Dan, but I am curious how things would work with frenzy. I would never take frenzy on an ogre that doesn't already have block, but since Dan does have block...

On a two-die block, what are the odds of putting down an opponent with dodge with a block/tackle ogre? What about with a block/frenzy ogre? I need a math expert.

Frenzy has the added advantage of surfing opportunities, but I think tackle is the safer choice for a beginner like me. :) That's probably what I'll go with.

Jump up would be great for an ogre with piling on. I noticed that you don't have a piling on ogre. Is there a particular reason for that? Not a fan of the skill? Or did you just get so many good level up rolls that there was never a chance to take piling on?

Also, how do you feel about Raw Meat? Are you happy with the +1 strength? (Much easier to get those three-die blocks.) Or do you wish you had taken block instead?

Last edited:

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
On a two-die block, what are the odds of putting down an opponent with dodge with a block/tackle ogre? What about with a block/frenzy ogre? I need a math expert.

That would be @danton . [edit]I remembered the name of the calculator. this is useful http://www.elyoukey.com/sac/ I am getting 51 vs 55% but with a RR it is much higher

Piling on leaves a lot of TV on the ground. I don't like it, no sir, not one bit. Could be that I had an agility 4 blodger with jump up that my opponent couldn't take down and then he piled on, got stepped on and that was the end of that.

I would like frenzy with stand firm. That could be fun

The +str has broken some cages. I like it, I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
That would be @danton . [edit]I remembered the name of the calculator. this is useful http://www.elyoukey.com/sac/ I am getting 51 vs 55% but with a RR it is much higher

Piling on leaves a lot of TV on the ground. I don't like it, no sir, not one bit. Could be that I had an agility 4 blodger with jump up that my opponent couldn't take down and then he piled on, got stepped on and that was the end of that.

Yeoooouch! Brutal! I was thinking about taking piling on on a rookie ogre on his first level up (assuming he does not roll doubles). If the other five ogres have guard, that seems like a good arrangement. But I can certainly understand your thinking after your star ogre piling on death experience! If I do ever use piling on, I'll make sure I have an unused apothecary waiting near his position on the sideline.

Bookmarked the calculator. Thank you.

Frenzy with stand firm would be hilarious! I'm thinking about taking frenzy with Dan now. I really shouldn't, though. Have to decide today because I have a match in a few hours.

Stand firm in general is pretty funny. I love when people roll pushes against them, especially when they don't want to be base-to-base. I really want a stand firm ogre, but I think guard is better to get first. (You agree?)

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
According to Smart People:

"Assuming the target has Block and Dodge which is pretty common for a ball carrier. Without a reroll a 2DB with Tackle is 55.6%, with Frenzy instead of tackle (assuming 2x 2DB) 51.8%. Tackle with a reroll is 80.2%.

2DB with Frenzy and reroll adds up to 67% chance of success. 1-((5/6*5/6)*(5/6*5/6)*(5/6*5/6))"

So even with the fun factor of frenzy, I think it's best to go with tackle here. Once I have a tackle ogre, I can consider frenzy on a future double.

Krisp278

Veteran
Steam Username
krisp278
Cyanide Username
krisp278
Country Flag
Congrats @Sephorin not sure what to say but with that I am done. Good luck everyone on the rest of the season but my lizards are going to get made into shoes.

Sorry to all who haven’t played me yet but the SPP vending machine is now closed.

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
What did you do to the lizards? This always happens to me. Replacements with nothing to lose are a pain. All your saurus are in tact, @Krisp278. Until you get an ag skink they are not worth much. Next week would have probably been brutal though. I was going to tell you to grab an extra apo. Good luck.

Seph, I like guard first, it is a pain for others. I think my entire team has it. Other than that ogre I have not replaced. Maybe he takes pile on. Another reason I don't pile on, guard doesn't work. Break tackle is a necessity on two or three players. I took it before guard on my +ma & +str. I like a grab for one player on the line to set up fouling, and then some stand firm is great when we have all that. I took stand firm on my ball carrier before break tackle so he couldn't be surfed. 3+ dodges work sometimes

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
Congrats @Sephorin not sure what to say but with that I am done. Good luck everyone on the rest of the season but my lizards are going to get made into shoes.

Thanks for the game, @Krisp278 ! I thought you played much better than me, but the dice were against you. Even so, the game was a tie until I scored that one turn touchdown. First time I tried for a one turn touchdown, too. Very lucky. Also my very first win with this team (that was not adminned).

Thanks, Kjelstad. Having guard on everyone definitely seems like it would be a pain for the opponent (unless they're wood elves), and good point about guard and piling on. Hoping to get an agility ogre at some point... can't really complain at all, though, with two block and one tackle so far! That's three doubles out of seven rolls!

I think I have to replace Sam (the ogre who lost MA). He was a big handicap when I was trying to get the ball up the field in my last game because he was one of the cage corners. Smart coaches would be able to plan and put him in the right places, but I'm not that smart yet. :)

Even though I'm a bit afraid of our upcoming match (I might take two extra apothecaries), I've been really glad to have another ogre coach in the division this season. I feel I've learned a lot. (Tackle was definitely the way to go for Dan, so thanks for confirming that for me. I almost took frenzy!)

Dark elves next week! They have dodge on eight of their eleven players. Yay tackle!

Kjelstad

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Kjelstad
Cyanide Username
Kjelstad
Country Flag
I probably don't cage enough. There are quite a few times people have had two reds on my ball carrier.

I have been forced into trying ttm when people stall. I find that is when it works best. "I'm not impressed." Don't recall who said it, but it makes me smile when I think about it. The funny thing is that if they had scored with 3 or 4 turns left i would have tried to run it with an ogre, failed and they would have stole the ball and won.

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
I probably don't cage enough. There are quite a few times people have had two reds on my ball carrier.

I have been forced into trying ttm when people stall. I find that is when it works best. "I'm not impressed." Don't recall who said it, but it makes me smile when I think about it. The funny thing is that if they had scored with 3 or 4 turns left i would have tried to run it with an ogre, failed and they would have stole the ball and won.

I just watched your replay for this week. Nice win! True, you didn't really cage, but you were victorious against a strong human team. Of course, if that human team had an ogre things would have been much different...

And this week both ogre teams came away with a 2-1 victory! Congratulations!

(Thank you for the advice about stalling.)