Averland S24 MD4

Gilliatt

Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks for the game, @Gilliatt...In the first half, you only spent your first reroll on turn 6 (by then, I already spend 2 out of 3), but it led to a terrible turnover on the next action. You lost control of the ball the turn before, however, and I think you have to consider how it is you got into that situation (than blame the dice for failing that 3+ dodge; anyway, you would not have been in a good position to protect the carrier if it worked... it was a matter of time).

Id' rather would have let the match go and kept looking foward, but i guess i need to clarify one "minor" point:

I didnt mean to blame the dice for losing, im rather sure i didnt. I complained about the poor block dice. Being frustrated i also felt the need to point out you powed my blodge Guard 3 out of 4 times (i think), which isnt a helpful comment either.

I also dont think the dice were horribly bad or anything, just not good enough block dice for the dwarfs to win their offense (at least not vs. a well developed Delf team with a decent coach). It happens, really nothing outrageous.

I went into the match looking for a tie. In case i wouldnt be able to advance my offense, which is what i expected, the plan was to keep the ball safe at all costs and, if possible, try to maximize blocks to hopefully make the defence more likely to succeed. Save wizard for defence and the 2nd half rerolls for the needed and important defensive GFI's (dwarfs often just need them especially vs. elfs when they couldnt win the block/ attrition game on offense).
Instead i tilted and and tried to force an unlikely score although all signs clearly didnt allow it. You are right about the RR decision. I should have RR as the ball was lost anyway, i knew instantly (i even threw away my matchplan and did put my wizard in and all i had to make that advance happen).
But it was a huge mistake trying to advance in the first place when the block dice simply didnt allow it. It lost the dwarfs the match and the rest is just minor details i guess.

To be honest: i wasnt even trying to defend. So you are right about poor defence. I was feeling so miserable that i hoped for a quick TD to skill my blitzer with a pass and be done with the match. It was very unlikely for the dwarfs to turnover the delfs anyway.

I think i had rather unfortunate rough seasons altogether and it snowballed very heavily - in the end making me play very poorly indeed. I decided to ride it out hoping for change, but that didnt happen. I have to force myself to keep on playing since MD2 to be honest (or half of last season even. Maybe i should have dropped out). So i threw away my matchplan and lost. I didnt expect that another bad season could make me feel so bad, i certainly dont want it to spoil the fun for the other coach.

I have to apologize for leaving chat (although i think i already did in chat), that's not how i handle the game normally! Also wanted to clarify i didnt blame the dice for losing (i rarely blame the dice for that). Well played, thanks for the match.

Last edited:

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
No problem, @Gilliatt . We’ve all been there, and I can understand your feelings...

That being said, I need you to focus, get your mojo back, and win your game against Chaos! :)

I may be wrong in my assessment, but I think you should not induce a Wizard for that matchup (@TravelScrabble, you have an opinion?). You’ll get outbashed, and you have to get inducements that will help resolve that problem. A Roller with Guard seems very good against a team with a lot of ST4+ players. Adding Guard to it will make all your players better. Get 2 Bribes to make sure it stays on the field for the whole game. And add Boomer as cannon fodder for turn 8. He’ll get sent off, but you’ll have Roller on the bench for that very short drive (consider Boomer as a 60k Bribe ; you need a deep bench, or else Roller will have to be on the field, and it will get sent off).

You’ll still have 10k left, but I doubt you want to add treasury to get a Babe (you have Thick Skull). Good luck, buddy! :)

EDIT : it will be tempting to base the opponent, but let him do that for you. AV 10 roller is no better than an Elf against Claw. You’ll want to blitz with Roller on most turns, but don’t necessarily follow up, unless it’s the turn you can pressure the cage to the point it breaks open for you the next turn.

And of course, keep Boomer for 2nd half if you don’t suffer attrition and can bench the 2 Secret Weapons on turn 8. But that’s far stretch against a killer team...

Last edited:

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
@Gilliatt And don’t forget that Roller can 3D any ST3, or ST4 with 2 assists. Juggernaut may be useful also, when you need a push. Break Tackle to blitz inside the cage on a 2+, if you think you can recover the ball this turn...

Gilliatt

Star Player
Country Flag
@patbou73

Glad you dont hold it against me. Yes, roller is a bit of a non-brainer here.
Roller out first turn. I guess i have left him too unsupported on a less than optimal square - two out of the first turn blocks succeeded i think and i already had enough of this. ;) Deep kick, ball in the endzone. TV difference of 390 (yet again). Roster of 10 Dwarfs (without inducement), 50 K in the bank. Going to lose a couple of players here (yet again), which i cant replace, or skill up anywhere fast enough.
Oh dear, just let it end.

@Kjelstad

TV difference is just too big for the dwarfs to overcome. This is a well rounded chaos team. Any other race can at least try to run the ball on a good chance.

Last edited:

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
@Gilliatt Well... you tried! ;)

I was hoping you could win this one. Chaos now has the lead in the division. My team still feels the admin draw vs Nurgle. :(

Gilliatt

Star Player
Country Flag
I just recently had 4 CCL Dwarf mirrors uphill in a row. Ranging from 150 TV~490 TV uphill. That didnt boost anything for me (although i managed to handle most of them, i still had an awful time obviously).

After you played ~10 matches every 2nd or 3rd match in CCL seems to be an uphill battle too with absurd TV differences (not rarely vs. killer teams). At least for me it seems. Before you pass the 10 matches mark you play mostly ~30% coaches. Which doesnt boost much either.

Playing ogres or goblins seems to make a lot of sense in the end. :confused:

Last edited:

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
TV difference is just too big for the dwarfs to overcome. This is a well rounded chaos team. Any other race can at least try to run the ball on a good chance.

I also think that Chaos team is very dangerous. Not looking forward to that match.

But you're meeting our ogres this week! PLUS... I don't really know how to play. That's almost a free win for your dwarves! (I did win one game with this team, so there is a slight possibility that you will lose.)

Gilliatt

Star Player
Country Flag
Really? I haven't seen the sense yet (aside from having fun). But I'll let you know if I figure it out.

lol

That seems to make a lot of sense. Playing a game = having fun. Regarding blood bowl it has been a solid contradiction for me for some time now.

I think i have an ogres record of 1:1:0 in CCL. That seems like a solid foundation to build upon in the future... :rolleyes:

I hope i can play our match without thinking about quitting and will try to have some fun. That must be my goal it seems, winning or losing, at the moment, can only be a secondary objective.

Last edited:

Sephorin

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Sephorin
Cyanide Username
Sephorin
Country Flag
I hope i can play our match without thinking about quitting and will try to have some fun. That must be my goal it seems, winning or losing, at the moment, can only be a secondary objective.

This has become my philosophy for Blood Bowl (and also for life, but let's stick with Blood Bowl here). I play crappy teams that I expect to lose with, and I try to make ridiculous things happen. I played a goblin replacement team last season. Let me share with you what happened in one of my games:

I mean, I induced Morg N' Thorg, and he got crippled. I wasn't even playing some nasty Chaos team. It was Lizardmen! But being able to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation makes it oddly fulfilling. And let me say: the ONE game I managed to win with that goblin team... it was so ridiculous and so funny, I still watch the replay when I need some laughs.

Do you want to win? Or do you want to be happy? I'd rather be happy. :p Of course, it's not as easy as saying it. You have to want it and train your mind for it. But it's an excellent goal! (And one that I am still working on myself.)

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
@Gilliatt I have a good record as Dwarf vs Ogre. Remove Snotlings, mark Ogres with AV9 Thick Skull Dorfs, and he shouldn’t be able to do much. Once in a while, well placed Guards + Dauntless Slayer to take down an Ogre. As needed, do 2D uphill blocks on the roadblocks and rejoice as opponent rages when you break armor that way. And take advantage of every Bone Head. You really should win 2-0. ;)

You are right that CCL games are often as the underdog. But that is fine. Dwarves get very good inducements, and you should be able to get the one that makes up for your weakness in that matchup. I won this morning the mirror matchup (Dwarf vs Dwarf), with 200k inducements (me at 1500, him at 1700). Opponent had 6 MB (me, only 2), two PO (me, none) and a ST5 Slayer (with G and MB). I took a Bribe and Apo. Bribe was burned on turn 2 (first and only foul of the game on PO), not breaking armor, but not getting sent off. I used Apo aggressively to not suffer attrition. In the end, I outsmarted my opponent (who had a better dodemath than me), which allowed me to win the attrition war, despite the odds.

For Dwarves, it’s all about positioning. One square off, and a good opponent will abuse that mistake and make you feel miserable.