OCC team blog - Inglorious Basterdz

Slyspy

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Meh.

When a league frowns on conceding then you are going to get this kind of thing.

I certainly did it in my last game for the final few turns. My opponent played on, trying to get spp where he wanted them, which is fair enough.

I of course quit all my leagues, though I'm tempted to start playing mm again.

Doesn't screw with stats much more than a 2-0 win and double cash.

G20

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Very lame. I admire your restraint, I would have been tempted to wipe them off the face of the Earth.

It's like we are blood bowl brothers or something. I play to ruin those teams every chance I get. Against not annoying teams, I will pull back some if I see the opponent is giving up. I am highly in favor of the no concessions policy over at OCC, and I am disappointed the Basterdz didn't do the rest of the league a favor by trying to retire that team. :skull::skull:

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I guess the only way a Chaos team with lots of MB and Claw enjoys the game is if they are retiring your players, and if the roles had been reversed I very much doubt he'd have stopped blitzing you with his killer(s). G20, when you slaughter my Dark Elves in the play-offs I promise not to be a bitch about it...

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
i highly doubt it!
i wasnt going to argue the finer parts of sportmanship when he had lost all heart to finish the game. also english was not his 1st language, so this seemed like the least painful solution for both of us.

i think if this situation occurs again i will highly encourage my opponent to concede as i will continue to play (and block, blitz, foul) until t16. saves my hide from 2 things - potential admin problems, and if my opponent has a sudden change of mind mid game. thankfully neither happened this game, which was lucky as i set up in a defensive formation when i received the 2nd half kick off, and my opponent got a blitz.

I have had one of those games too. I simply kept running ahead and stealing the ball (but not paying much attention to hurting his skaven team as long as it didn't prevent me from stealing the ball)

By the time he was 3-0 down he started playing again, trying to avoid a shameful 4-0 loss. (Didn't work :p)

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
It's like we are blood bowl brothers or something. I play to ruin those teams every chance I get. Against not annoying teams, I will pull back some if I see the opponent is giving up. I am highly in favor of the no concessions policy over at OCC, and I am disappointed the Basterdz didn't do the rest of the league a favor by trying to retire that team. :skull::skull:

my 1st thought was to try and obliterate his team. i guess i wasnt in the mood to justify my actions to him. i also didnt want to turn him off bloodbowl for good.

i got very angry in the concessions thread at occ a few seasons ago, but other peoples opinions made me realise alot of concessions arent based solely on that one particular game. it is normally an accumulation of frustration over a number of games. slyspy's case is a good example of this, as i think he was winning regularly with his high elves when he quit. i hope they let slypsy back in to the main leagues as he explained his situation honestly, rather than saying "my modem was on fire".

the lesson learnt here is
1. if you don't want to play anymore, tell your opponent and concede gracefully. it is allowed in the rulebook, and it stops your opponent having to agree to any on field "deals"

2. if your opponent just wants to hit end turn, continue playing normally (at least until 2-0 up). beat up his players and tell him to concede if he doesnt want to sit through 30 minutes of boredom.

anyhoo, onto md5 against the lizards.

1 have 15 players and a tv of 2170 once i pick skills. my opponents is 1750. with 320k what do lizards pick for inducements? what if sack 1 or 2 rookie linos?

also skills pending -
thrower - block and going to take tackle due to my opponents this season (even the chaos side has 5 blodgers!)

lino - 1st skill. got to choose between block or wrestle

lastly, who do i put on my los for the lizards. his only mb is on the krox.
the choice is between rookie linos and the block/wrestle one, or a combo of block dp lino, wrodge guard lino, block tackle thrower, guard ogre, and the gumbi linos.

4 blitzers, kicker and star thrower take up 6 positions on the field, so i need 3 los and 2 more. the 2 that normally dont play on the los as well is the ogre and the wrodge lino. that means i could play the thrower, the dp, and the lvl 2 lino to have an all block los. they may die though

i am actually thinking of saving my dp for the second half as my opponent has 13 players, and may end up with 14 if he takes sibli. he may also take a babe/apo as well, so fouling 1st half may be a tad ineffective. there is 2 niggled saurii to target however.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My favourite inducements with Lizards are Slibili or a Wizard. If you sack the linemen he can still afford a wizard, so I guess it's what you'd feel more comfortable facing. With two niggled Sauri, Slibili might not be such a bad thing whereas the Wizard could be tricky...

I'd put at least one fodder lineman on the LOS if I could because the temptation will be to hit him with the MB player to get the best odds of a pow. My normal policy on the LOS is to pick whatever players I think will be least useful on defence, so that rules the Thrower out who I'd be using to mark backfield skinks, and with two niggled Sauri I wouldn't want the DP there either. Also I don't know if you have any other Wrestlers, but if you don't he could be your best bet to take down a block Sauri. Sometimes you need to take the 1d on a block player.

jrpeart

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
jrpeart
Cyanide Username
jrpeart
Country Flag
I'd expect the options to be either Slibli+Babe or Wizard+Babe+Apo/Bribe depending on the Lizard coach. With the Niggled Sauri I'd probably go for Slibli myself but it's a judgement call.

Don't put anyone important on the LOS as he will have reasonable chances of bringing them down no matter what skills they have. Your best bet is to use fodder to soak the hits then you have your more useful players still in play and mobile to get where they'll do most good.

Good luck.

G20

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
FWIW, unless I have a highly developed team (or have no level 1 players), I'll try to avoid putting skilled players on the LOS unless it's a do or die defensive drive where I have to turn the opponent over to have a shot at a draw/win. Against teams that are all ST3 or who are light on MB, I may consider putting the ogre up there.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
so md5 has been and gone. it ended up being 420k in inducements due to my poor maths skills, so i dropped a lino so he couldnt take silbili and a wiz. he ended up taking a wiz and 2 apothecaries, his reasoning being he is still in team development.

no real stars, a +st block ss, dt skink, a +ag ss skink, +ma ss skink, block guard krox, and 5 block saurii, one of those with tackle. 13 players all up.

i kick, leaving my catcher, dp, and back up thrower on the bench. his blocks do nothing on los, then his blitz manages to hit a blitzer on a gfi. this is his block tackle saurii, so i knock him over, send lutolf (+ag blodge tackle) up the left flank to annoy, then foul the tackler with my kicker, resulting in a ko! my opponent apo's this straight away to a stun.

the next few turns are pretty cage, with 3 skinks with the ball hanging around midfield of the lizards half, while lutolf was getting marked by a saurus. the rest of his saurii were spread out across the field, so he was having trouble protecting the ball from my tacklers if he moved forward. as his team had no mb on saurus i was much more comfortable man marking. t5 lutolf could get a blitz on the ball if he 3+ then 2+ dodged, so he did just that, using a reroll on the second dodge. :bothdown::pushback: came up and the ball was free in no tz's. lutolf grabbed it up and took off to within 6 squares of scoring.
my block kick lino dodged a saurus marker, then kicked the head in of the +ag skink, killing him! unfortunately the apo was johnny on the spot.

my opponent responded by failing to knock over lutolf with the +st skink, so settled on sandwiching him between two skinks. wrong move, as after 2 gfi's to get a tz on the +st dt skink, who was the back of the sandwich, lutolf blitzed the forward skink, :pushback::pushback:, and with no ss it was a simple 2+ dodge to go 1 -0 up. woot! (the dt skink should have been in the tz of the other skink, so i couldnt escape by blitzing)

so 3 turns left in the half, blitzer daley is out ko'd so i bring on my thrower, while my dp lino jumps onto los.

i kick deep again, and my opponent push's right, making a sideline cage with 2 saurus and the +ma skink inside, ready to receive a handoff and score next turn. i blitz the front (block tackle) saurus and push him up against the sideline. i then mark up the saurus while a lino runs into the backfield. my opponent makes the handoff, then tries a blitz with his +st skink which fails on the gfi. my thrower then mng his tacklin saurus with his last apo used for no change, then i fill all the spots around the ss and blitz him into the crowd for a bh! the ball goes to the other side of the pitch and stuart picks it up, before the lino up field dodges free to act as a receiver. i then try to get lutolf into scoring range but fail the 4+dodge.

my opponent marks up the lino his turn, so t8 i need to choose between an unlikely td or skink hunting. i go for the td, but fail the second dodge on the lino with a reroll.

so 1-0 up, meninga is now ko'd but daley is back up. my opponent has 11 fit players while i have 13.

kicks midfield, and on the los my thrower takes out a skink this time.i knock the other 2 saurus over, which leaves a blitz to another skink with a block lino. que another bh skink. this allows another assist onto a niggled saurus, and after screening the ball and running my strip baller into the backfield to protect against wizards, i fouled the block guard niggle saurus in to the casualty box :D

he uses the wiz on the 5 guys surrounding the tz where his saurus use to be, for 1 knock down. next turn i foul out another saurus, and this sees his team scatter to the hills. i run it in with stuart on t12 much to my opponents disappointment (he wanted me to stall it out so he could hide).

so 7v11, i kick short, mark up the saurii, and blitz with my strip baller, who picks the ball up on the follow up. the +st skink foolishly tries a -2d block, and breaks his neck for his troubles. and with all 3 apos used (1 on a ko, 1 on a mng) that neck is staying permanently kinked:p

i handoff to my block tackle thrower, who with 2 casualties and now a td moves to 23spp's
3-0 basterdz!!

post match
well the dice were kind for me today. my block dice were average, but my injury dice were excellent, especially compared to my opponents. he threw 50+ blocks for 3 ko's.
he rolled 9+ on 2d6 4/35 times, i was 14/35. i gave away alot of blocks, but many were on linos getting pushed around.

next week is the undefeated chaos side Star Spanners. he still has md5 to play, against a woodie team. our tv's are pretty even at this stage.

another rookie lino lvl'd. block or dp is the question.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
md6 v chaos. we are both sitting =1st with 4-1-0 record.
his teams stars consists of-
blodge, +ag, sure hands, mb beastman
block, +st, mb, claw CW
blodge, mb, tackle CW
block, guard, +st, -av CW
guard, claw, +av mino

the rest was filled out with lvl 3 and 2 beasts. amazingly he had 5 blodgers on the team (just enough for my 5 tacklers;))

i choose to kick and we are underway! i kick deep to my right, and he picks up with a blodge beast. his 1st block smash's a hip of a lino, doh! both +st warriors push up against my right flank, so i look to knock over the +st warriors in my turn. i only get push's on my blitz however, and start to get overwhelmed. another lino with block is killed outright back on the los. the fight on my right i can only get pushbacks, and eventually meninga's skull is cracked open. apo patchs him up for next drive though.
the ball carrier runs through into my half, but getting cocky, with barely any protection. this leaves my 2 +ag blitzers to dodge to dodge, assist and blitz to knock the ball carrier over. clyde scoops up the loose ball, but has nowhere to hide really, esp when the ogre fails to get up off the ground. so he makes it to halfway and hopes for the best.
not enough, as he is knocked over after a reroll. the ball is scooped back up, but i can get another 2d blitz with my +ag blitzers. que 1+1 on my 1st dodge, and i decide discretion is the better part of valour and dont pick my 6 guys left on the field up off the ground.

t8
chaos get the blitz! but dont acheive much. in reply on mng his +st clawed warrior, which is apo'd (my opponent thought it was second half lol)

2nd half, the kick is caught by lutolf, ag3 bliter. i smash the collarbone of a blodge beast on the los, and meninga blitz's right with an assist from the catcher to push a beastman. i cage slightly to my right and stun a beastman with a foul in front of my cage. the defence rush's right, so i slide back left with a slight man advantage. the catcher dodges back to help meninga take on the +st -av warrior, for another push :mad:

he tries to come back left, but sends too many (imo) into the los to take out meninga and the ogre. clyde is taken out on the blitz for a bh thankfully.
i keep running upfield well into the chaos half, surrounded by a loose screen on the left. i knock over his superstar beast, and my catcher runs around from the right flank to put the boot into him, for no effect. back at the los my ogre takes down the +st clawed warrior on a 1d block and ko's him!

he blitz's a corner of the cage down, and marks up lutolf with 2 players. i handoff to stuart my thrower, who cages 1 square from the ez.

my t14, i can knock down the 3 guys near my cage. i knock the 1st down, then fail a gfi with reroll to get the second down! this sees him make a 1d block :pow:, to open up a shot for his blodge mb tackle CW to hit stuart on 2d. the blitz comes in.... and stuart calmly dumps off to the catcher in who ran in range last turn, just in case this happened :D. he fails the dodge to mark up my catcher, so t15 i run the catcher over to the right away from anyone, and surf the lvl5 warrior for a mng.

game ends 1-1

POST MATCH
Happy with the result, and i only lost 1 player to injury (block lino). his block and injury dice were hot 1st half, but had cooled down significantly by the second. my block dice were horrible 1st half, but pretty good second. annoyingly my 2 mb tackle blitzers managed 3/13 knockdowns on 2d blocks.

i had the option of scoring from t13, but decided to stall for the draw, as he would have outnumbered me to start the drive. i also had lost my strip ball defender, while his sure hands +ag beast was still in play.

so this sees us both stay on top of the table at 14pts, with at least a 2 point gap over 3rd. he is down to a 10 man roster next game (before buying rookies), and will only have 1 tackler (no mb) to face doomy's undead.

i will be up against naeckens vamp team, which has been a very hot and cold team for the last couple of seasons. when they are on though they can beat anyone.
should be fun!

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Quite a scary team that. Although i suppose your lucky he didnt have a MB/Claw/PO player. I hear they are the worst! ;)

After recently playing against a Nurgle team with two S5 Tentacle players (BoN and a +S Warrior), i was really impressed with how powerful a skill it is. I'm kind of surprised your opponent isn't thinking in that direction, but I suppose he's got the red mist that often comes with coaching a Chaos team.

Who is winning in TD for/against?

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Quite a scary team that. Although i suppose your lucky he didnt have a MB/Claw/PO player. I hear they are the worst! ;)

After recently playing against a Nurgle team with two S5 Tentacle players (BoN and a +S Warrior), i was really impressed with how powerful a skill it is. I'm kind of surprised your opponent isn't thinking in that direction, but I suppose he's got the red mist that often comes with coaching a Chaos team.

Who is winning in TD for/against?

for and against is tied at +7. he is infront as he has scored one more td.
i agree on the st of tentacles, it gives the chaos sides the ability to tie down more mobile opponents long enough to maim them :). guard and mb/claw are by no means weak picks for his +st warriors though, and i wouldnt be suprised to see 2 of the 3 st5 players in his team grow tents as they level.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
upset in md7!

the formerly 9th placed team, dead mans hand (coached by doomy), has beaten the 1st place team star spanners 1-0. they also niggled the mino, who will be missing next weeks crucial match up against the Gauntlegrym defenders (piling on dwarves), who are sitting on 8 pts (2-2-2).

in a bit of a self gratituitous pat on the back, i like to think my stalling for a draw last week, which led to the surf and mng of a blodge, mb, tackle CW, helped doomy claim the win :D

congrats doomy!

i face naeckens vampires, where any points will see me sit 1st by myself and should all but guarantee promotion.

the vamps have just restocked their roster, so i will be facing a 16 man team. 6 vamps, 1 rookie, 1lvl2, and 4 awesome players (see below). he also has an ag5 pass thrall :rolleyes:, and a wrackle, dauntless, DT thrall.

on the plus side i will be going into the game with 250k inducements and 13 fit players. wiz and a bribe, and the plan will be to kick first and start smacking thralls (and foul the pomber vamp). hopefully with 6 vamps on the field (if he does play all 6), he will help me in removing thralls. vamps will normally score in 3-5 turns or not at all, so if i can go into half time at 1-1 or 0-1 (1-0 my way would be nice:p) i can assess the situation as to what result i want in the second half. giving up the defensive td is bad news. a wiz in the pocket should help protect against t7/8 defensive breakaways.

if i receive 1st half...... i just gotta hope i can get into the endzone, or at the worst go into half time 1-0 down and lots of thralls out. because if i receive these are the 4 vamps i have to deal with, with all rerolls and a full lunch pack to snack on-

vamp 1 - blodge, mb, tackle, sure hands
vamp 2 - block, tackle, pro, +1st, +1ag
vamp 3 - blodge, pro, guard, +1ag
vamp 4 - block, mb, po, ju

hypno gaze with vamp 2 and 3 has very high probability of getting gaze off, so i will have to watch for that. thankfully stuart has dumpoff so i do have an outlet of sorts (unless he is gazed lol). i will try to employ double screens as much as possible to discourage the gaze either way.
i am kinda glad vamp 4 is a basher, as a vamp concentrating on hitting is not going after the ball. still, i am not a fan of losing the bash war, so he will be getting some special attention :p

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Vampires - Hummies 1 - 1

The humans had he initiative in the first half thanks to a Blitz on kick off and were up 1-0 at half time but the Vamps got back into the game with a Perfect Defense in the second half.

Last turn was nerve wracking with no re-rolls and 4 Vampires to move 3 of which ad to pass Blood Lust but they behaved and I got he score.

Overall I don't think I have ever seen my Vampires behave this good only failing 8 rolls the entire game (same number as I failed after 2 turns against Doomy)

The draw I think pretty much locked Nuffle up for promotion so grats to him!

naeckens summary from the match day thread, which is a pretty good analysis.
other highlights
1st half
my fouler getting sent off turn 1 with a failed bribe
3-4 thrall ko's
2 vamps regenerating injuries after being piled on when their av didnt break
a lightning bolt ko'ing the +st, +ag vamp for the match, which led to my score.

2nd half
i thought i had it in the bag and set up aggresively on los, which perfect defense made me pay for. i also ran 2 receivers into the backfield hoping to get the early score, rather than my usual conservative offense. this led to a gaze and blitz on stuart, who had his dumpoff intercepted by the ag5 thrall (i didnt check!)

worst part was i could have just thrown the ball towards the endzone and there was a real good chance i would have just regathered anyway (my original plan until an ag4 blitzer was left unmarked).

i had a shot to strip the ball loose with a 4+ dodge 1d blitz (which would have been 2d if i moved my catcher in the right spot) but rolled :skull: and bh himself.

from here dogged defense on my behalf eventually led to the t16 play with no rerolls naecken described above. probably a fair result in the end.

Last edited:

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Congrats on the draw and the promotion to division 2. We may be seeing each other there. Vamps are always a tough draw when they are highly skilled. And those Vamps are incredible!

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Congrats on the draw and the promotion to division 2. We may be seeing each other there. Vamps are always a tough draw when they are highly skilled. And those Vamps are incredible!

thanks narly, though naecken was a bit early with the promotion call. i still need 1 more point from my last 2 games to guarantee promotion.

table after md7

basterdz 15pts
star spanners 14pts
a dance macabre 11pts
the rebirth 10pts
lustaen laekers 9pts
gauntlegrym defeders 9pts

md8 saw me up against the rebirth, a woodelf team with tv 1820. players of note were:
+ma, +st, +ag, block, sure feet catcher
stripball, passblock, tackle wardancer
blodge, accurate, sure hands thrower
block, surefeet, diving catch, -st niggle catcher
block sure feet catcher
wrodge lino

11 players. no guard, no tree. only real gamechanging player is the stat freak catcher, so if i can get him out all the better. with 250k inducements my opponent takes a wiz and a reroll and we are underway!

4 turns into the 1st attempt the game had a synch error and we had to restart. score was 1-0 to the rebirth, but i had the ball and done a couple of ko's and a cas - the freak catcher fouled out t1! lets hope he didnt learn for the restart....

kickoff
i kick midfield and he knocks down my los and sends the freak, the -st catcher and a wardancer into my backfield. i blitz the freak for a ko :(. t2 i had only put 1 tz on the -st catcher, and with diving catch he easily catch's the long pass from the thrower and runs it in .

0-1 T2/2
i get a ko on los, and run the ball with stuart behind the los in a screen/cage. i didnt put a guard at the back of my cage so a wardancer comes jumping in for the 1d blitz, and stuart dumps off to the unmarked catcher before smacking the wardancer in the chops :skull:. this was hairy as i forgot the other wardancers passblock, who put his tz on stuart (nos rendered useless), rather than risking the leap to get to the catcher.

Stuart knocked the passblock WD over to daley, who with his mb/tackle, gets the 1st casualty of the match. i fouled the other wardancer on the ground for a stun and a sendoff of my dirty player :mad:.

in came the fireball, which managed to knock 0/5 players over! i had learnt my lesson on caging and now could cage tight as well with the wiz gone, meaning i had a guard on each side of my cage for the rest of the half. t5 the other wardancer snake eyed a dodge and badly hurt himself. i handed the ball to lutolf who scored t8, while meninga piled on to anything unlucky enough to stray into range.

1-1 T9
8 elves made it out on to the pitch
a kick mid field right saw me place two blitzers to protect the ball, before making my los blocks and picking up the ball. my opponent gambled here on a sack by dodging 2 catchers through my screen at halfway to get tz's on my 2 ag4 blitz's screening stuart, before sending the stat freak catcher to dodge twice and gfi 3times to 1d stuart. :pushback: rerolled to :bothdown: and he was safe. i bh one catcher with lutolf, and blitz the freak off stuart before running into a guarded cage again.

from here my opponent tries a bunch of -2d blitz's on the ball carrier without success (he did need :pow::pow:.....) and ko'ing his players dodging in and out of the cage, while meninga knocks out a few with his piling on. around t3 i had knocked over his stat freak, and i then proceeded to foul him for the next 5 turns for no more than a stun. i really wanted him out to prevent the OTS.

by t16 he has 2 players left on the pitch - the freak getting stomped into the ground and his -st niggled catcher, who somehow managed to survive the carnage. lutolf had been handed the ball and made a completion before running it in to give him 9spps for the match, and 74spps in total.

my opponent is able to set up 6 players for t16, but thankfully doesnt go for the OTS.

final score 2-1
the wizard was always going to be the deciding factor in this one i felt. i had 5 tacklers and 6 guarders, as well as 2 sure handed ball carriers. with only 11 elf players attrition was going to be a problem, so i felt the wiz needed to get the woodies 2-0 up before half time. i am suprised he took an extra reroll over babes/apo, as the wiz fluffed and he went into the second half short manned. with only 8 players the second half was always going to be tough, and the failed attempt t9 to get the ball by my opponent left me with the opportunity to waltz down the field at my leisure.
his constant attacks on the ball were not helping, as he had a 1/36 of knocking me over, while a good chance of knocking himself over just to get into the cage.

so the basterdz guarantee themselves promotion, and put one hand on the divisional title. next week i am up against a dance macabre, a dark elf side coached by booncabal. he has had woodies in div1 before so i will have to be wary. star spanners face lusteans laeker (vamps), so i am hoping for a vamp win to take the pressure off me.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Another nicely done win and keeps you pushing hard for the divisional win - very good stuff indeed.

Nice to see what can be done to those annoying Wardancers too, sounds like a pretty solid game that forced him to take too many chances, though that failed wizard made a difference for sure.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Nice result... must have seemed like a siege with the elves running around the cage... :D

Seems BB tactics is doing well in the OCC

Last edited: