Chaos Pact Starting Roster discussion

Mikeal

Rookie
Country Flag
You forgot one big advantage: Minotaurs don't lose their tackle zone when failing their neg trait roll. It's not just about blitzing.

Exactly. In my books, this makes the Minotaur a much more effective road block than the Troll, who IMO is the least useful Pact big guy. Also, I'm not interested in playing Pact because they get three big guys; I'm interested because they get an elf, a skaven and a goblin to go with the big guys and Marauders. I'm really happy they've finally done "mixed-race" rosters, as teams like the Evil Gits and Underworld Creepers have been in the fluff for ages but impossible to actually play. I'm even less interested in a My Little Pony roster...

I'm liking the Minotaur, four re-rolls and Apothecary option now that I've thought about it some more. My idea is that the Minotaur will do a lot of the blitzing in the early games and then transition into a roadblock/blitzing threat role as the Marauders and others skill up. I can't see myself doing much blitzing with unskilled Marauders, and in the beginning that's all I'll have.

Juriel

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Being a roadblock requires you can get him where you need him to stand at. Mino does that only half the time, so...

Deathbagel

Veteran
Country Flag
I really wish this team was being added in the Chaos edition instead of Underworld. This roster just gives you so many options to make any kind of team you want!

I would personally start with

9 x Marauders (450k)
1 x Minotaur (150k)
1 x Ogre (140k)
3 x RR (210k)
1 x Apoth (50k)
Total = 1,000,000

I also agree that Wild Animal is the best nega trait purely because they never lose their tackle zones. I would then save 110k for the Troll then pick up a Goblin for the hilarity. I don't think I'd bother with the DE or the skaven personally until far later in the team development.

Purgatory

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I really wish this team was being added in the Chaos edition instead of Underworld. This roster just gives you so many options to make any kind of team you want!

I would personally start with

9 x Marauders (450k)
1 x Minotaur (150k)
1 x Ogre (140k)
3 x RR (210k)
1 x Apoth (50k)
Total = 1,000,000

I also agree that Wild Animal is the best nega trait purely because they never lose their tackle zones. I would then save 110k for the Troll then pick up a Goblin for the hilarity. I don't think I'd bother with the DE or the skaven personally until far later in the team development.

I'd cut the Apothecary and add the Dark Elf to that roster immediately. Especially in a roster with only three re-rolls, with a team that has no skills at all to speak of from the beginning, you will rely on the DE a lot for ball handling duties.

Starting with two Big Guys certainly has its merits, but I'd think twice about going so low as three re-rolls from the get-go in Chaos Pact. It's a re-roll hungry team, even moreso than Underworld where you at least have some Sure Hands and Block to start with, but despite this, most Underworld coaches will agree that starting with 4 re-rolls is the best way to go.

Deathbagel

Veteran
Country Flag
I'd cut the Apothecary and add the Dark Elf to that roster immediately. Especially in a roster with only three re-rolls, with a team that has no skills at all to speak of from the beginning, you will rely on the DE a lot for ball handling duties.

Starting with two Big Guys certainly has its merits, but I'd think twice about going so low as three re-rolls from the get-go in Chaos Pact. It's a re-roll hungry team, even moreso than Underworld where you at least have some Sure Hands and Block to start with, but despite this, most Underworld coaches will agree that starting with 4 re-rolls is the best way to go.

Well I've done Chaos with 3 RRs many times, it's my usual start actually and it's pretty much the same start. The first couple of games are sometimes painful depending on rolls, but the first increase you get on a gor, or in this case a marauder, goes to Sure Hands and then you start loading up on some block and the team really gets rolling.

I look at this team as being Chaos with 3 str 5 guys instead of one str 5 and 4 str 4. The benefit here is that you aren't stuck with an extra 10k per guy for a skill that realistically you only need on 2-3 players (horns) and you get the extra benefit of being able to take passing skills which means you can eventually have a fairly reliable passing game.