Mathematically Speaking: Team Blog For Standard Deviations

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
Who are the Standard Deviations? The greatest in Auld World mathematics, proving that with the proper equations, and calculations, anyone can be a blood bowl player, not just the hulking brutes so often associated with the game.

As the regular season of the eighth Crunch Cup comes to a close, the Rookie Standard Deviations can look back on an inaugral season of major disappointments. The team managed to lose every game, but one. Crushing defeats at the hands of many teams left a bitter taste. However, the season ended with a bright spot of the lone win and the arrival of Isaac Newton.

As the team stands ready to go, if they can avoid injury it is possible that they stand on the cusp of being much, much more dangerous.

The current roster is:
Isaac Newton the big man of math is also the big man of the team. It suprises many fans to know that one of the greatest mathematicians in the Auld World is in fact an Ogre

Pierre de Fermat, a blitzer, is the teams current leading player. MVP on multiple occasions, he has managed to become as strong as an ox (Str 4) and helps his teamates in their blocks at all times (Guard)

Another blitzer picked up some tips from the elves and learned how to dodge.

2 Lineman have been hit so often, they actually learned to block, including Froebinius who continues to play on a smashed ankle.
A third lineman knows how to bring the biggest man down at the expense of himself as he wrestles.

There are 2 more unskilled linemen and 2 unskilled throwers.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
A ST boost on a blitzer is always sweet. This could be a very nice team.

Out of interest, I notice you started without the Ogre. What starting roster did you take instead?

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
4 rr apoth 4 blitz 2 tbrow 5 lineman. Should have gone for the 5th rr instead of the apoth. I figured it'd b 4 games before ogre, but because of bad winnings rolls took 5. Once my line has matured some more I might pick up positionals, I could use pair of catchers to compleent my tendency to just throw my way out of danger.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
I like the 4 RR, 4 Blitz, Ogre, 6 Lineman roster. ;)

Sure, you have no thrower, but you can use blitzers (who need to get TD:s for early skills) as runners instead while you're saving money for a thrower.

Still, shaky start aside your team is definitely shaping up. :)

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah, its promising, only one major injury and thats Ferdinand Froebenius getting a smashed ankle. Only MA 5, but with block and being a linemen, I don't really care about the lost MA. He's still as fast many of the other teams linemen and can beat a dwarf in a foot race! I have, I think, 2 players with 0 spp at this point, both linemen. So, I'm looking forward to more games with them as they seem to fit most of my needs well.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Sounds like you have a perfect line of scrimmage there - one gimped lineman with block and two rookies :D

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
Especially against those high TV bashing teams. Nothing like having a line that you really, really don't care about when you know that you are going to lose half of them ;)

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
The team has made the final and the coach is looking for his first Golden Spoon, or perhaps complete his collection of Ricky Schroeder Silver Spoons. The quarterfinals featured a hard fought game where the Sidekick Goblins clearly had been boasting some illegally enhanced armor. In the end it was only won by the Standard Deviations when OT hit and the Goblins realized they would miss their boat if they played too hard.

The second game saw the death of fan favorite Panini against the Devious Darkblades. The mathematic, baking and wrestling genius will be sorely missed by all fans, especially the halflings, although sales of limited edition baked goods had the team make good money. The game started with the darkblades losing two players to injuries and then another on the drive to death. The team Darkblades fought back and quickly scored the equalizer and yet, near the end of regulation, the Standard Deviations won. Now, with 7 out of 11 of the players on the pitch with block, a mathematically incline ogre and of course the inestimable Pierre de Fermat, the team competes with the Elf Street Band in a classic contest of hit vs pass, smash vs grab, shirts vs skins. Who will win only time will tell, well time and the Courier (available at all retailers fine or otherwise).

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
So its coming to cruched time, and I'm having to decided whether or not to purchase my first catcher. I'm someone who loves to throw and catch, I'll play elf ball with any team with two playesr with agility 3, so I'm wondering if I should purchase the catcher going into the finals. I'm already going to be facing a wizard, so I don't have that to worry about giving that up and I appear to be able to let him induce around 200k with my catcher purchased

Advantages:
Get another player for a deeper bench
Gives me the speed threat to score quickly
Someone with the actual catch skill so no more wasting team rr

Disadvantages
Scrawny and wimpy Str 2, AV 7
Gives away more inducements
Also Scrawny and wimpy

So, should I go for it and get one the final 2 positionals for my roster or hold off and hold TV down for now?

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
You are handing out 240 right now, which is a wizard and a babe. 10 k more and your opponent will be getting an extra apo or a second babe meaning you'll have even more problems getting his numbers down. That said, what you really want to avoid is 350 or 410 (the latter, especially, is a killer)

But with a catcher you'll hand out 310, which is a wizard, a babe and either a bribe or an apo. (And with a bribe he can take out your players pretty fast)

Possibly you could get a lino - lets you offer 290 inducements, letting him choose between Jordell or a wizard + 140 k (skilled lineman, or 100 k of stuff)

Even so, that'd give him a wizard and a kick skill player, which is also bad for you.

-

Well.. I have no idea, really. Maybe two linemen so you can foul any and all catchers that hit the ground?

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Had not thought of getting a kicker. For 140 that is not too bad. Does make Dolfar Longstride more useful at 150 (except of course he is not in cyande)

Not sure how you worked out my TV, but probably will spend the cash I have on a 3rd catcher and live dangerously and try to have some fun. If you just included 3 loners that will push up the TV by 40 (the alternative would be an apo for 50). Playing norse takes it toll a bit, particulalry the last game getting hit by players with Frenzy and block means it is 93.75% you are going down if you have no protection skills (ignoring the chance of double skulls on the first block).

I really don't foul much so for 250 I would take a wizard and 2 babes probably, and a wizard, babe and apo for 300 etc. have not looked that closely at the TVs yet though. 410 would be jordell and a wizard which I agree is a nasty combination. Edril and a wizard for 350 is not bad either (was wondering where you were going with those numbers :D, but I agree should be avoided if possible).

Anyway is supposed to be a friendly game :D.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
So he can foul you all friendly, like? :p

But yea, if you buy a catcher, then the Mathematicians can get two catchers instead of two linemen. They are good for fouling and running both. ;)

And yes, given that you would have been unlikely to qualify for the CrC if you had been in the CC (since you probably would have been in the main playoffs), doing the "fun thing" is probably kinder. At least that way your opponent has a chance at getting lucky with the cas rolls. :rolleyes:

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
OK I got myself another catcher, putting my TV on 1100, and making the TV difference 200 right now. If you don't change anything that will be a wizard and a babe.

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
Well, the season ends with the Standard Deviations pulling out a close fought victory. This leaves them as the golden spooners, a note in history as the best of the rest, the least worst, the ones that just needed another few games to really come together. The team now sits at:

2xLineman Block
Blitzer +Str Guard
Blitzer Guard
Blitzer +Str Dodge
Blitzer Tackler
Thrower Accurate
Thrower Block
2x Rookie Catcher
2x Rookie Lineman
Rookie Ogre

Only one of the linemen has a serious injury and that one is just slowed still (although he apparently suffered a concussion last game that didn't get better as he failed 4 ko rolls.)

So the team is ready to face their next opponents in CCIX

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
So the Deviations are favored to win their division. It isn't going to be easy with a mix of bash and agillity the Deviations will be forced to adapt their style to defeat their opponents. Little is expected of team captain Newton as his play has been hampered by the fact that opponents keep giving him problems to solve in the middle of the game, leaving him contemplating while they sneak away from his fists that resemble casabah melons.

Some of the upcoming matches will be revenge. Perhaps the Devious Darksides will be massacred in revenge for the death of fan favorite Panini, or perhaps the Deviations will show A Pimp Named Slickback that they know how to handle smacktalkers who can't walk the walk when they talk the talk.

The first match they face the Norse team The March Boyars who look to have a great runner and at least as much strength as the Deviations although the Deviations have numbers and armor so it seems it may be a game decided by who can subtract the opponents fast enough.

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
Well, based on some great plays from the Norse the standard deviations stop their 4 game winning streak. However, the team managed to do immense amounts of damage to the Norse setting them back, including killing their star runner

Now some levels up come up and I have some tough decisions. First there is Ferdinand Froebinius who rolls a normal skill. He has block and a smashed hip, but since he's a lineman I don't know where to go with him beyond maybe fend or tackle (I only have one tackler on team). The other skill up is Georg Cantor who rolls an 11, but has no skills. So I ahve the choice of going for a +AG or regular skill (kick). Any reccomendations.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I would say replace your injuries if you can afford it (especially if they haven't rolled dbls +str) and give that lino dirty player! Kick is good too. The tackle blitzer needs mighty blow too imo.

Hobnail

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
Hobnail
Country Flag
Yea apologies for that defeat. It feels like I bought the win with 3 of my players.

Not only did you kill my dodge/surehands Runner, but I have retired the -ST Runner and the -MA Lineman. So, you dropped my TV from 1290 to 1030!

I'd love to know why you scored in T15 though rather than 16. I figured you were playing for the Blitz at the time...which is why I set up like I did - trying to score was an afterthought I nearly never even bothered to try!!

Good luck with the rest of your games.

Rusty

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I'd love to know why you scored in T15 though rather than 16. I figured you were playing for the Blitz at the time...which is why I set up like I did - trying to score was an afterthought I nearly never even bothered to try!!
It sounds like Narly will have a new, non-stalling hero. :p