Undead Double on Ghoul

Smiler6310

Veteran
Country Flag
Afternoon!

I'm looking after a friends Undead whilst he's away on a 2 week holiday and one of his Ghouls has just leveled up and rolled a double 3. Its the Ghoul's second skill, he currently has Block and Dodge. After asking his opinion I was told I'm on holiday you decide! :D

Originally I would have gone for Mighty Blow and made him into a sweeper. However, I was wondering about giving him Hail Mary Pass (HMP) and making him into a runner.

Now after a few games with the Undead I really feel they should leave the passing game to the Elves but HMP would allow me to run the ball and then throw it away deep into the oppositions half should my cage break/grind to a halt.

It would well in conjunction with 1 or 2 other Ghouls who are moving down the other wing/goal hanging. It would also force my opponant to leave 1 or 2 players deep to prevent this happening thus making it easier for my cage to 'Death March' its way down the field!

What do you think? Is it viable or not worth it?

Gio

Veteran
Country Flag
I think HMP would be a waste. Undead don't care much for the passing game (and HMP will eventually lead to your opponent gaining control of the ball). Doubles I would get Guard (it's not boring, it's effective). Even Mighty Blow sounds better than HMP (and most people wouldn't expect it on a Ghoul, which may lead to some funky plays). If you really want to open up some passing game I guess Nerves of Steel would be much more useful, turning him into a passer/reciever who can ignore tackle zones, but I'd still get Guard as my first option.

Murkglow

Super Star Player
To me it would not be worth it. Spending a skill on something that only potentially useful in the first place and then only in specific situations just doesn't seem very constructive to me. I'd rather go for something that will always be useful. Mighty Blow is an option of course. I also like the idea of Guard which is somewhat rare on Undead teams, especially on something so fast and easy to get into a good position.

Smiler6310

Veteran
Country Flag
Cheers for the replies fellas. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

My big concern with guard is that you have to get the Ghoul next to opposition players to maximise its potential and that leaves him open to retaliation - which on an S3 Av7 player with no regen and no Apo access is too risky for me even with him having Blodge. Guards on my friends team are normally the tougher regenerating Mummies, Wights and Zombies.

Not trying to flog a dead horse as good points have been raised to ignore it but HMP would also be good for clearing your lines if you can pop the ball free and then launch it back down the field.

Will probably go with Mighty Blow in the end as it would make him an effective sweeper with tackle being his next skill but I'm interested and open to ideas both in favour of HMP or any other choices I havn't thought of!

maxcarrion

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I don’t have a lot of experience with undead but HMP feels like a ridiculous choice. Simply hurling the ball up to their end zone then running after it is a terrible situational, unreliable strategy.

If you want to establish a backup passing game then go ahead and pick up pass, your ghouls and wights can catch acceptably well and your ghouls can pick up catch and your passing game will reach a level matched by rookie human teams. Nerves of Steel, Mighty Blow and Leader all have their benefits too but honestly I’d probably take guard or a normal GA skill for them depending on how you’re building them, safe hands, catch, fend, side step, diving tackle etc.

S1nner

Veteran
Country Flag
Cheers for the replies fellas. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

My big concern with guard is that you have to get the Ghoul next to opposition players to maximise its potential and that leaves him open to retaliation - which on an S3 Av7 player with no regen and no Apo access is too risky for me even with him having Blodge. Guards on my friends team are normally the tougher regenerating Mummies, Wights and Zombies.

Not trying to flog a dead horse as good points have been raised to ignore it but HMP would also be good for clearing your lines if you can pop the ball free and then launch it back down the field.

Will probably go with Mighty Blow in the end as it would make him an effective sweeper with tackle being his next skill but I'm interested and open to ideas both in favour of HMP or any other choices I havn't thought of!

HMP: Why get rid of the ball when you have it in the hands of a MA7 blodger :confused:

Guard: Realize that Guard also makes him a stronger ball carrier. If you cage well, an opponent may knock over a corner and get a couple tackle zones on the carrier. Helps a lot to have guard on that carrier to push away the threats. Also, since ghouls are agility 3, some high armor teams(i.e. dwarves) will mark all the ghouls, knowing the chance of a turnover on a dodge is decent. Guard helps in these situations as well.

Mighty Blow: Decent choice if you are in the MB>Guard camp.

Is there no way to contact your friend to see what he would prefer?

Murkglow

Super Star Player

The idea is to play him like an elf with guard. Move him so he can provide assists to one or two blocks and after those blocks are done hopefully he should not be in an enemy tackle zone.

Of course no matter how well you plan it will raise the risk to your ghoul but to me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Like everyone else I wouldn't take Hail Mary Pass.

I would get Guard, you don't have to actively put them in danger for it to be a good skill choice.

Smiler6310

Veteran
Country Flag
Thx again Coach, fellas for taking the time to reply :)

Will look at either Mighty Blow or Guard for him then. With HMP I was just trying to think outside the box for a bit! Lol oh well back to ye old drawing board! :D Once again cheers for your replies guys!

Chris

Doomy

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Take Guard, then immediately get a +AG Wight.

Suddenly your Ghoul is free to score TDs and get Block because every boot your opponent can muster will be applied to the Wight instead.

At least, that's how it worked for me. ;)

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Don't listen to these guys, Smiler. Without these brave strides of yours into the unknown frontiers of Blood Bowl, we'll all be stuck here, forever proclaiming the same old strategies and tired-out rosters. So stride on, I say! Though the precipices be many, and the waters be treacherous! Stride on! In spite of common wisdom, that our sum of knowledge be greater! Stride on! Ye, who we dub the Lemming of Progress!

:)

Nerves of Steel I do like. If you're determined to make passing plays with the Undead it would be my pick because it works at both ends of the throw. On the other hand, you don't have access to any passing skills on a normal roll, so the chance to pick up Accurate while you can should perhaps not go wasted. Either way you should consider giving all your Ghouls a mix of Catch, Fend or Diving Catch - generally, that is to say, building them for offense rather than defence.

(And while I'm at it I should point out that the only real sane choices are Guard and - at a push - Mighty Blow. Given that this isn't your team I think there's a certain duty of due diligence that needs to be exercised before you start getting creative on someone else's behalf :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

EatThisShoe

Rookie
Country Flag
I like the idea of mighty blow on a ghoul, but I would much prefer to have it on a wrestle ghoul than a block one. Wrestle/tackle is a good counter to blodge, and tackle/MB is good elf killing. Since block keeps you standing guard becomes much more appealing, and the skill path with blodge is more likely to lead you to sidestep which can get guard into some annoying places.

If you want to do something different take pile-on. PO has synergy with jump up which is an agility skill, and it is quite strong if you expect to only get one of MB or PO. Jump up is a nice skill on its own and could lend to the fairly bashy style of undead with the ability to block from the ground, and also keeps the ghoul mobile. PO also makes sense with block since you need to be standing.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
^ This is a good shout, but I've yet to see an argument that convinced me of the value of piling on. Of course it's situational, but the odds even of re-rolling a stun to KO are far from great - 41% - and in exchange you are losing a player's worth of tackle zones, assists et al for your opponent's next turn.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
I have no hard evidence you know, but I could swear that dame was trouble - the way she just pilled on innocent men - well innocent as a blood craving lunatic can be that is - she destroyed them.

Despite odds and funny stuff, I just played a match yesterday against a chaos dwarf team and my PO blitzer made 3 cas and 2 KO´s. All in all I have not had a match where he failed to get peoble off the pitch after he got pilling on. 4 games in a row:D I love pilling on and I try to use it as much as possible, but of course not when it would compromise my position:bothdown: