Undead New Undead Team: Skill suggestions

makinde

Veteran
Country Flag
Just got two skillups on my brand new Undead team. Pretty standard build:2 mummies, 2 wights, 5 zombies and 3 ghouls. A ghoul and a wight skilled up.

The wight got a 10 (6+4).
+MV would seem to be the obvious skill to go for (to give him more mobility), but I'm considering dropping that to give him Mighty Blow or Guard instead. Mighty Blow will help him skill faster (and be immediately useful in future games), while Guard helps the team. Basically, I'm wondering how useful +MV really is to a team that generally grind its way forward at a Mummy's pace, especially given that it is the first skill. Adds a lot of TV, for very little benefit at this time it seems to me. Thoughts and experiences?

The ghoul got a double (3+3). Guard for sure, I think.

Last edited:

Purgatory

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I'd take Guard on both, it's an awesome skill to have on several pieces, especially against other more or less rookie teams. +MA is always nice (speed kills), but as you said, it's not like you'll be rushing downfield too quickly anyway.

jrpeart

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
jrpeart
Cyanide Username
jrpeart
Country Flag
Definitely Guard on the Ghoul.

For the Wight it depends how long term you are thinking for him. Anything less than very long term ignore the MV and pick Guard or MB (I prefer Guard). The MV would make him another player useful to have as a safety/scoring threat in emergencies though.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
I was out running yesterday (run for health with the workplace) and came home late and weary.

Anyway, I've had a MV 7 wight, where I even declined a double 5 for the + move.

If you want a mobile undead team (good against elves and that ilk) then +move can be a nice idea.

If you do the plodding game, then guard on both. (Since your team is new, and needs more guard)

But like peart said - in the future it will be nice to have a MV7 guy that actually has regeneration :p

makinde

Veteran
Country Flag
The question is whether I really should take advice from Dreamy, given that we are in the same league. ;-)

Of course, you've already played this team. I usually like to plan with the long view in mind, and having that extra offensive/defensive running threat is nice. But... hmm. It's a tough one. Good thing that I have a few days to think through the options.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Unless you pick up your game again, you need the extra move :p

(I know I've dropped plenty of games lately :eek:)

Bebeto

Veteran
Country Flag
I would take the MV, make him in to a mobile hitter - MB, Tackle (and guard, but maybe a bit later, now that you have the guard ghoul).

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
Guard on the Ghoul, Mighty blow on the wight or he wont level up again forever!!

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
You know, it is possible to actually let the wight touch the ball from time to time.. :p

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
You know, it is possible to actually let the wight touch the ball from time to time.. :p

This is very true, but unless said wight gains increased ag it is kinda wasted, especially in a new undead where u are lacking basic skills, wights are the only two players you can count on for blocking, not using them for this while you have other players who by nature of speed and agility are better at moving the ball seems a waste of potential.

This is just my opinion though, and I dont claim to be a master tactician by any means.

Crimsonsun

makinde

Veteran
Country Flag
Heh. After some consideration, I have gone with the +MV.

Essentially, I figure that a MV7, Av8, Block piece is not something to take lightly. If I'm lucky and get a double he can pick dodge and become a real scoring threat (with more durability than the Ghouls), and otherwise he can pick up MB next as Bebeto suggests.

makinde

Veteran
Country Flag
wights are the only two players you can count on for blocking, not using them for this while you have other players who by nature of speed and agility are better at moving the ball seems a waste of potential.

This has also been something I thought about, but having the added +MV ability can also be used to put the wight into good or better blocking positions. I eventually figured that having 4 - potentially 5 - players with MV7 is certainly not a bad thing and can be useful for those situations from time to time when a more open running game is required.

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
I totally agree with you on the extra MA being useful, the number of times iive wished my wights were that little bit faster, he will also become far more of a scoring threat being able to punch through the line, and be in position for a hand off in the following turn, only hinderance is the lack of dodge if he becomes marked. Extra MA could also be used to develop him into a very good defensive player able to get back easier to recover if a player slips though your line, something undead teams struggle with due to average low ag + ma.

Crimsonsun

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Once a couple of ghouls have skilled they can pick up the blitzing slack, and after that it is easy to feed a wight the ball every now and then when it helps him skill.

makinde

Veteran
Country Flag
3rd Round Over

The Undead went out and defeated a Dark Elf team - much helped by the latter's inability to dodge when it counted.

The +MV Wight was cool - the extra move certainly helped in the forming of a cage during the game, and made him more useful as a safety during defensive play, but certainly no game winner. The Guard ghoul was probably more useful overall.

A good game for me resulted in three additional skill ups.

Mummy Skill Up (Normal)
Mummy
Wight +MA
Wight
Ghoul Guard
Ghoul Skill Up (6+4)
Ghoul
Zombie Skill Up (Normal)
Zombie
Zombie
Zombie
Zombie

Facing Amazons next. The Mummy is pretty much a given - Guard, and the zombie can hardly be anything but block.

The ghoul... mmm. +AV would give him AV8, making him a good deal more likely to stay on the pitch as well as hopefully giving some more longevity. Can't protect him with an apo, though, so I'm not convinced it's worth it. +MA would make him MA8, making the team overall pretty speedy. Useful as a blitzer if he gets a second skill, and there's also an interesting build with Shadowing that one could consider. Of course I could always go standard skill too, but... probably not.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
It's not the AV7 that kills ghouls it's the lack of regen or an apoth. AV8 just isn't worth it and I'd rather have a normal skill instead. MV on the other hand I really like with Ghouls and long term he'll be a great player with a few skills if he survives to that point. I'd probably take MV but Block, Wrestle and Sure Hands are also going to be really good this early if you decided to skip it.

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
I like +MA on ghouls, if not then sure hands. I really do not think the extra armour is worth while, ghouls die ALOT and AV8 is not going to stop a MB,PO player splatting him, nor is it going to make much diff against dirty player head stomps. On a positive note ghouls skill very quickly so losing them is not such a big deal.

For that reason i would also suggest getting ur fourth one asap, as you never know when one will go, especially with a guard ghoul, as ghouls tend to get targeted anyway but with guard he is really asking for it!

Crimsonsun

Edit- third attempt at posting this; for the zombie i would suggest kick or dirty player over block. Dirty player for removing key opp players, and kick is great for undead.

Last edited:

makinde

Veteran
Country Flag
I am loath to refuse stat increases, so I'll likely go with the extra MA. Agree that the AV hardly seems worth it, which is kind of rubbish; is +AV ever worth it?

For the Zombie, I really think I need to go with the Block at this time. Up against Amazons next, and an extra block player could be really useful if I'm not to see them dance away from my undead embrace every time I block them.

I actually have the funds to buy the last ghoul, but I think getting the 4th RR may be more of a priority (which should be possible in a game or two with a bit of luck).

Last edited:

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I mean you really have to think about an example where AV might be good. I never take it. I suppose you could make an argument for maybe taking it on a Pro Elf blitzer who marks the ball carrier, a player who you know is likely to be hit in every game and you can't afford to lose. I always remember playing an Undead team in mm with an AV9 Wight and killing him with the very first blitz of the game. It's stayed with me that has.