Tactics Suggest a team at TV110?

Stareater

Veteran
Country Flag
Howdi all,

I'm considering entering a resurrection tournament called Nordsken, near where I live but the ruleset is quite different from the ones I'm used to and what they had last year. I want to take a fairly competitive team, even though I play mainly for the love of the game, the trophy is so nice I must at least give it a shot to own it for a year.

So in order to get an idea what teams might be competitive with this ruleset I thought to ask you guys for ideas. I usually play one of the regeneration teams (since I always forget to use my apothecaries), Nurgle, Necro, Khemri, Undead or Vampires, but I believe they will be at a disadvantage with this ruleset. I suspect the organizer of the tournament will play Dwarfs/Norse (since he likes block-teams) and last years winner will probably bring back his Skaven.

Rulebook: Competition Rule Pack (CRP) + Underworld, Chaos Pact and Slann
Rules: 4 games, Ressurection, Swiss, No progression of any kind
TV: 1.100.000 (No skill package)
In addition to the regular usage of your gold it can be used to buy regular (+20K) or double (+30K) skills for players or some rostered Inducements. Each player may only have one additional skill.

Allowed Inducements:
0-3 Bribes
0-1 Halfling Master Chef
0-2 Bloodweiser Babes
0-1 Wizard
0-1 Star player

Scoring:
Winning a game: +15
Drawing a game: + 10
Losing a game: +5
Forfeiting a game: +0
The difference in TD and CAS will be added as well.

My not so well thought through plan at the moment is to go with an Undead team, which is a bit uncreative. Most likely Block both mummies, Give guard to one Wight and Tackle or Frenzy to the other. Block one Ghoul and Wrestle another.

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
Woodelves are made for resurrection.

2 wardancers
Tree
3catchers
Thrower
4linemen

That's 1000tv so you have 100k to spend.

A RR is 50, leader is 20 so you would have 30k left after buying both of these for a double.

I think I'd change a catcher to a lineman saving 20on players letting you have a RR, leader then 50k to buy stripball for the wardancer and block on the tree.

You have pass, catch, loads of dodge, block where you need it, pass so your 2 RRs will be plenty.

Kick to start and swarm his backfield for a defensive TD. If you can stay 1 td up the games yours. Any time he scores you can easily counter score in 2 turns.

Stareater

Veteran
Country Flag
It is true that wood elves excel at resurrection tournaments. There is a slight drawback though, elves seem to roll perpetual one when coached by me. I actually think my passing and catching record is better with Khemri and Dwarfs than with any of the elven teams. :)

Disregarding the elven curse it is a fairy interesting build. Not that original, but definitely competitive.

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
If novel is more important than successful coach has as a 1000tv dwarf roster:

2 blitzers
2 runners
6 blockers
Death roller

2RRs.

That leaves you 100k for a bribe to keep your roller on for a second half.

No slayers but that's a good thing, more tackle and armour 9 on field. You have all 4 agi 3 players which is important. If you bin a RR and take leader you will have 30k to block the roller. Receive and you can tuck your cage behind your roller and smash up field.

The way you'll come undone is if you are forced to kick to elves, they'll bang one in in 2 turns and burn your bribe straight away.

Does anyone know if you have to start all 11 men?

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Nice. A bit too far away from home for me, otherwise it would definitely have been worth playing for.

Yes, you must put 11 players on field if possible. And in tournaments you are normally restricted to normal teambuilding rules, meaning you have to put 11 normal players in the team. (Even before adding starplayers)

Stareater - you should probably point out that the "extra teams" page they are linking to is out of date. The one that should be used is http://www.thenaf.net/files/NewTeams_LRB6.pdf
(Note things like that Fezglitch is an allowed starplayer for Underworld, and other differences)
(We used the same faulty link as info-page in our league, despite having the correct facts in the leagues own summaries)

-

As for tournament-winning team builds..

Amazons can get seriously annoying in that version - 11 blodgers :p

(7 linegirls with block or wrestle = 490 k, 3 blitzers with guard = 330 k, 1 blitzer with sure hands = 110 k, 2 rerolls, apothecary, 2 Fan Factor) (Apothecary or one of the RR and FF can be traded in for a dirty player linegirl as player 12)

(NB: Builds like this is why most tournaments offering "free skill purchase" puts a limit also on the amount of duplicate skills one can take..)

Stareater

Veteran
Country Flag
Stareater - you should probably point out that the "extra teams" page they are linking to is out of date.
(NB: Builds like this is why most tournaments offering "free skill purchase" puts a limit also on the amount of duplicate skills one can take..)

This is why I'm saying that the rules format is a bit different than I'm used to. At least you can not stack skills or buy stat increases. Some of the players I expect will show up will probably utilize this to the fullest in order to win the trophy.

Will let them know they are using the old extra team pdf. Didn't realize there are actually two ones.

Like the dwarf build. A bit more creative, just like I like it.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
TV1100 where you have to buy the skills as well will heavily favour certain races. It is essentially the same as a TV1000 tournament with 5 normal skills.

So the stronger races are Wood Elves and Undead then Dwarfs, Amazons, Orcs and to a slightly lesser extend Lizardmen, and Norse. Most teams will only have 11 players and likely no Apothecary or limited rerolls.

Since you are used to Undead I would suggest the following:

2x Mummies
2x Wights
2x Ghouls
5x Zombies
3x Rerolls

This leaves you with 110k, so one double (Block on a Mummy) and 4 normal skills.
Guard Wight
Block Ghoul
Sure Hands Ghoul
I'd put the other skill on the other Wight, probably Tackle so you can deal with the likely appearance of Wardancers and other Blodge players.

So you have 11 players and three rerolls with 9 of them having Regeneration. This is lineup I would heavily expect you to have a good chance of winning that fine looking trophy with.

That Deathroller lineup lacks any skills on the players, Dwarfs really need Guard to operate against some of the stronger teams.

Good Luck and let us know what you pick and what happens!

Stareater

Veteran
Country Flag
Well undead was my first thought, and it will be pretty straightforward tactics.

One of the coaches I sometimes play with suggested chaos dwarves with a minotaur but no bull centaurs. I haven't played my gorgoth slavers in ages so it 's a bit tempting. What are you thoughts around such a roster? Block minotaur, two guard and two mighty blow chaos dwarves and a sure hand hobgoblin?

Grumbledook

Star Player
Country Flag
Well undead was my first thought, and it will be pretty straightforward tactics.

One of the coaches I sometimes play with suggested chaos dwarves with a minotaur but no bull centaurs. I haven't played my gorgoth slavers in ages so it 's a bit tempting. What are you thoughts around such a roster? Block minotaur, two guard and two mighty blow chaos dwarves and a sure hand hobgoblin?

I was the one who first started taking non centaur chaos dwarf teams to tournaments, however back then rerolls were only 50k and the minotaur was also quite a bit cheaper. I still took it when rerolls went up to 60k and then 70k, however as the prices of these two things have gone up, the effectiveness of the roster has gone down.

skills wise to make the team work you need to just take guard on as many of the dwarfs as you can. Even more so now that you can't also get 4 rerolls, the more guard you have the easier it is to get 3 dice blitzes with the mino which negates his lack of block and helps create space to move the cage forward, having rerolls also allows for more liberal use of 1 dice blocks, gfi and dodges when needed

the thinking behind it is that centaurs need both block and break tackle to be at their best and you can only give them one skill so they become very expensive and not always useful

unfortunately league play performance has hindered their tournament usefulness, at least in allowing a diverse choice of effective roster imo, I also disagree with the choice of giving them mutation access on doubles just cause they could in second edition

if you want a good shot at winning I can't see past taking undead...

Stareater

Veteran
Country Flag
Thanks for all the advice. I'll run some test games and see what agrees with me as a coach. If all else fail I'll probably fall back on undead, which was my first team and I'm pretty confident playing at least decent games with.

Dalryk

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Dalryk
Cyanide Username
Dalryk
Country Flag
Don't listen to these fools. There's only one option to take for victory, and that's goblins!

2 x Troll + Pro/Block - 280
1 x Fanatic - 70
1 x Looney - 40
1 x Bomber + HMP - 70
9 x Goblins - 360
3 x Reroll - 180
2 x Bribe - 100

1100!

Stareater

Veteran
Country Flag
Goblins don't need much skills. They are brilliant out of the box.

But if I take goblins I would probably try and squeeze in Ripper in the build. He is slightly more reliable when going for the TTM touchdown / Cage breaker and he has served me well in the past.

2 x Troll - 220
1 x Looney - 40
1 x Bomber - 40
8 x Goblins - 320
1 x Ripper - 270
3 x Reroll - 180
1 x Bribe - 50

That leaves one regular skill. Probably for one of the trolls or the bombadier.

Would have liked a little higher TV so I could have had the pogoer and another bribe as well. Perhaps going with less rerolls, why on earth would goblins need rerolls?

Last edited:

Dalryk

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Dalryk
Cyanide Username
Dalryk
Country Flag
Ripper is great, but at 1100 you can't quite afford him without giving up a lot. IMHO, 13 players isn't enough (11 if you don't count the weapons), 1 Bribe isn't enough, and a rookie bombardier is just going to eat your rerolls and ruin your game. If you really want a Ripper build then I'd drop the bomber and just take another goblin instead.

But a Pro Troll is almost as reliable as Ripper at TTM, and while I'd like to have 3 Trolls, I'd much prefer to have more players, bribes, and (personal preference) an HMP bomber :D.

Last edited: