Favourate team?

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
One of the nice things about the fact that bloodbowl is such an old game is how balanced the teams are, and the variety of styles that are available.

I was curious about why people play the teams they do though? Do you have a favourate team? and why?

Vs the computer I started wood elves in the previous version, and got myself a 1 turn catcher (before the nerf), and it was great fun racking in the touchdowns vs the computer.

Against people I have really really struggled with all the elf teams. I guess I am a bit agressive, but too often I seem to get many early injuries, and then it just spirals as your players get marked more and more, and 2 rerolls does not seem to last long. Maybe I just roll too many 1s, I don't know. Maybe I just need to learn how to defend/attack with fewer players. It does feel pretty random though. Some bad luck and your WDs get taken out of the game and it is a real struggle.

One of my favourate teams so far has been Dwarves, who hit reliably and are very hard to get off the pitch. They do seem to take a lot of the randomness out of the game which does appeal a lot. It does mean living in dread of the block, MB claw chaos warrior though, but I guess there are ways around it. With a standard starting team having 3 rerolls and so many skills around it is hard to get hit by a bad dice roll and turnovers are quite rare.

I will give the 4 RR, 5 sarus 6 skink team a go on the open league as well, but I think I am done with elves, the full injury box annoys me too much.

Acipenser

Veteran
Country Flag
I've tried Dwarf, Chaos, Skaven, Lizardman and Human thus far. Can't say what I've liked the most, all have their appeal to me. Humans perhaps the least though.

My current favorite is Lizardmen, but that's just because I'm playing them right now. Dwarves were my first love, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

I've grown a dislike for Elves (just the "Pro Elves") because in the last league we had a total jerk playing an Elf team. Maybe I just need to face adecent Elf coach to get over that hump..

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
My preferences really go back to my roots in the 2nd edition of the table top game (where it all looked a lot more like american football and a lot less like warhammer).

I've always enjoyed the Human and Orc teams since that time - they were the plastic starting teams back then also, and I had the metal miniatures (still do!) for the Orcs, which I still love, even if they are kind of small compared to the modern models.

I'm also a fan of the Elves for the same reason - I loved the old Elf and Dark Elf models and like how the Pro Elves hark back to that style.

Orcs are still my favourite though, always have been for 20 years - my current Warhammer 40,000 army is also Orks, even though they've changed a lot over that time, I still love the randomness and humour in them.

maxcarrion

Super Star Player
Country Flag
My preference still has to be for Dark Elves even since the last time this thread appeared. I think Dark Elves just play a beautiful cross of speed, agility and brutality and no other team really matches them in style. That being said I’ve enjoyed playing Wood and Pro elves, Dwarves and Orcs, I like that they all feel different, all play different.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Chaos or nurgle is number one for me else there is the wood elfs and I have just found out that skaven are a lot of fun to play. Think I will start a rat team in the next Crunch cup if we reach it.

Murkglow

Super Star Player
I like the "heavily" armored teams, Orcs, Dwarves, even Chaos/Nurgle, High Elves, ect... The more armor the better.

Teams that are mostly AV7 (or Stunty) are just not teams for me.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Used to be Dark Elves and Chaos on the old game.

Since Legendary I took on Halflings and I've surprised myself because they have undoubtedly become my favorite team to play by a country mile. They are crap, and they break easy and they don't move very fast, and I often end up with only a few players on the pitch. Most games I lose, but there is no race in BB that for me is more fun to lose with and I have lost with them all.

Turning point for me was a 3-0 win against Norse and a 2-2 draw which featured my first and second one-turners. I have beaten up a couple of Khemri teams and made them quit. I left an Elf team with 5 players on the pitch and none of those casualties were inflicted by a Tree.

I have two halfling teams in the OCC and UKBBL respectively, and I have a team for challenge games that is becoming absolutely awesome. FC Corrugated Cardboard have a Tree with Block, Multiple Block and Grab who is my favorite ever player. I have a ST3 fling and an AG4 fling. If I had that luck with my league teams I might get the win I've been after.

The thing with 'flings is they play in a very unique way, and are sort of designed for risk taking. It either works or it doesn't. On the rare occasions it does it is fucking amazing.

Last edited:

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
Dark elf has to be my favourite, I have a Team called Intervention in MM that I've not played in months but I cant bring myself to delete them.

I love how they move the ball and their positionals are interesting. Wardancers may be better but I prefer witchelves every time. They are a very solid team in defence.

Having said that I am currently most "into" my woodelf team in the OCC right now. I'm at that point where a number of players are now getting interesting.

Thats it for Elves, I don't like high elves in any game (might be a carry over from my darkelf army in WH. Repeating crossbows FTW). Pro elf have only ever disappointed me everytime I've used them. Some how they seem more fragile than woodelves.

There should be a special mention for goblins, when I start a new team in a league it takes all kinds of willpower not to roll goblin. It is always choas, whether its TTM, the weapons, running through tackle zones, fouling... Its always interesting, but when the dice are cruel its a terrible experience. You have to be ready, Gobbos roll lots of dice.

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
After playing them a couple of times I was surprised how well the Underworld Creapers fitted my playstyle. I've always wanted to like the Skaven as a team but I could never cope with the total reliance on the gutter runners. The Creapers have got a solid big guy to stick on the line, cheap throw away gobbos to get punched on the line of scrimmage plus some really interesting builds from the normal access to mutations, and the rest of the skaven are all great bases to build up from. Hope Cyanide releases them eventually as I'd swap to using them in a heartbeat.

Other than that I'm quite liking Vampires at the moment. The thralls are fragile as hell but the vamps can work wonders when hypnotic gaze works. Just hope I can get a agi up on one of my league guys like I did on an MM side as the difference in power with the significantly more reliable gaze is incredible.

Edit: A couple of hours later I notice that my last match was updated with skill ups, two of which were on vampires, one gets a regular and takes dodge the other gets +1Agi :D

Last edited:

jrpeart

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
jrpeart
Cyanide Username
jrpeart
Country Flag
My all time favorite has to be High Elves who have a strong passing game but have enough armour to play the running game or even the bashing game if needed.

Of course it probably has something to do with being a dedicated High Elf player in all GW games back in the day.

Strangely I can't get along with either Wood or Dark Elves. And I really can't play as Humans or Orcs.

If I'm not out to win and just want a bit of fun I quite like playing as Goblins and I suspect Halflings would provide the same fun to lose with feeling as well.

mightyg

Rookie
Country Flag
CD

My first proper (meaning tabletop) blood bowl team was dwarfs, which i choose because of the high AV. I just hated losing skilled players when i tried different teams out in the computer game. I still like the shorties, but they really are rather tactically limited because of their low movement.
Since then I have discovered the dwarfs hated cousins, the chaos dwarfs, which suits me well. Sturdy, skilled linemen with the added boost of possible mutations is wonderful, coupled with the mighty bull centaurs and better then you'd expect slaves in the form of hobgoblins. I just like the the team and will keep playing them. Who knows, I might even be good at it eventually.

mrpier

Veteran
Haven't played that many teams against other humans yet, had a chaos team (with no rerolls!), a human team which was decent enough, and have just started a DElf team. Of those I think DElf will end up as my favourites. I have tried all the teams in the BBLE SP, and of those I think the nod will go the orks, they start out quite good and then just get better at what they do.

Country Flag
Chaos was my first love (Hmm, there must be a song in that :p), back in the days of 3rd edition, when you could get MB + Claw + RSF for +3 on armour and injury, meaning you had a cas on a 7+ and a kill on a 9+ ... at some point people refused to play against me, and I couldn't understand why :cool:.

After that, Skaven (if only they wouldn't be so fragile) and Chaos Dwarfs, which I'm playing now.

Snotty

Super Star Player
Country Flag
When used to do table top (2nd ed), Skaven was my team. In the Cynaide BB Regular, I played chaos, dark elves, goblins and humans. Dark Elves were my favs, followed closely by goblins. But these were all ai games.

When l.e came out, I’ve done nurgle, norse, undead, and vamps (all online). I do like playing undead, brutal but with dodge. But with vamps, i’ve lost more times than ive won (Crunch cup not at all), and through our shared mutual pain ive grown very attached to them.

Darknesse

Rookie
Country Flag
Lizardmen by far are my favorite team, followed by Undead and Dark Elves.

Currently playing Slann, and it's incredibly frustrating so far, but I expect that will change once I enter the league and start skilling up.

Prepared to be wrong though.

Photec

Rookie
Country Flag
Chaos, all the way. All that str is ok, the AV is awesome, but what really gets me going is the mutations. Frigging love extra arms, claws, extra head, tentacles and prehensile tail :)

HC Vanselow

Super Star Player
Country Flag
The Deathshallow Decrypticons...

I would say I'm split between Undead and Khemri right now as both of them take a licking and keep on ticking.

Bebeto

Veteran
Country Flag
Its undead for me. I have been playing them on and of since 3d edition, and althoughi reconice that necro are prob. better in the long run, but i just love th diversity of the players and the owerall grinding running playstyle that undead had. Besides there is something about first loves :)

I have reasently taken a shine to nurgle lso, and have had some great fun with pro elfs too.

HC Vanselow

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Rotten Nurgle Fun Abound...

Hmmm, I believe Pro Elves were my 4th kind of team played in TT. In Legendary Edition, Korquis Cyredrahael & Co. of the San Venturas Harlequins take to the Astrogranite for me with currently a 3-1-7 record. Nurgle originally didn't appeal
to me, however I played them a lil' bit and they got welcomed to my rolodex of
teams and feature our three armed Rotter ball carrier.

RogueThirteen

Veteran
Country Flag
Lizardmen
Necromantic
High Elves

Not sure I have a favorite among them (they all have very different play styles), but they are far and away the teams I enjoy the most. Each plays distinctly enough from one another that they satiate very different "strategic moods / playstyles" for me.