Cyanide TGS Blood Bowl League

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qp6lBPNLI]TGS Blood Bowl Tournament - Dodger vs Jesse Cox Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZY4AJkCrfc[/ame]

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
*match spoilers ahead for those who still care*

Well I was kinda right about Dodger winning, but it was trickier than I thought it would be, still I don't think that the result was in any doubt. Dodger seriously needs someone to explain to her how the tackle zones work in regards to getting two die blocks though

I'm beginning to think I should definitely at least stop watching the Jesse Cox vids as I'm going from thinking he's an alright caster to tipping over into genuine dislike. Don't get me wrong as I imagine he's getting some horrible stuff posted to him from some over obsessed BB fans so I can see why he's getting defensive, but fuck you dude. If you don't know what you are talking about you don't get to say anything whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
{Sees the edit}

Aw man, now it looks like I called him all sorts of stuff when it was only (admittedly quite a bit of) emphasis to make the point.

So I just happened to spot one of the TGS games being played live when I was looking to spectate on a game in the online league I'm in.

*spoilers for the TB vs. Completionist match that won't be up for a day or so follows*

Poor Norse cause they just got properly and totally rolled. Berserker dead, a lineman as good as dead due to a Smashed Collar Bone and yet another MNG'd and while they landed a lot of KO's all of them kept on waking up. Unsurprisingly TB picks up another easy win.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Heh, just trying to keep the site more family friendly. Not much I can do about the swearing in the videos, not that it bothers me personally.

Think I need to add spoiler or hide tags to the site though, I thought I had them at one point, must have imagined it.

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
Fair enough, Coach. I get more than enough use and enjoyment out of this site to not mind if I need to moderate the language a bit.

DeathSquire36

Rookie
Country Flag
Well it looks like both Dodger and Jesse have improved at least a little. If you're a veteran player though, and bad play makes you mad, it's probably best to avoid the Jesse games. At least they're practicing though. Someone just has to teach Dodger how blocking dice work.

Still looking forward to the AJ vs Crendor match. That should be pretty even in skill and not a terrible team matchup.

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUYjnQHICA]TGS Blood Bowl Tournament - Angry Joe vs WowCrendor - Week 2 [/ame]

As expected a much better closer game (though AJ misses some blatant surfs), but wow just take this from me DO NOT listen to this on headphones. Especially around 1:05:00 as you're risking permanent deafness.

Angry Joe also goes a bit over the top with complaining about Lizzies being OP too.

Panda with issues

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I suspect most of these guys have never played a tabletop game or many boardgames in their life, or even a P+P RPG. Because if they had, I have a tough time believing they'd be this bad. Especially since they all claimed to have practiced in game

I wonder if coming from a videogame background rather than a mix is why they really struggle to get to grips with how the game works.

Some signs of life though.

Just some thoughts.

Merihim

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
Merihim
Country Flag
Maybe its because I play regular warhammer tabletop but I picked this up easily enough just by watching them and applying common sense.

A few things I missed out on was that you can hand off and throw in the same turn, and that blitzing isn't just for running tackles, but re-positioning and falling back after as well.

I made a big blunder on the skill ups in that I thought it was all dice oriented and didn't pay attention to the drop down menu to change skill sections.

Otherwise it all came fairly naturally and easily. The games are enjoyable to watch, though even I find myself wincing at the mistakes they make and the complaining really miffs me when its in huge excess (See Jesse Vs Sidestrafe, AJ vs Crendor, though I understand Jesse's frustration in his Dodger match, he got a lot of poor dice.).

What frightens me most is that Joe and TB say they have prior experience in the game (TB even saying he has TT exp) and they just make so many mistakes.

Mordachai

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Mordachai
Country Flag
Crendor vs. AngryJoe was certainly the least badly played match so far... Unfortunately that doesn't mean much. AJ in particular missed some golden opportunities due to not really understanding the game (his dodge into three TZ's instead of doing a 1 die block made me sad, for instance). Crendor seems to get it now, more or less.

Still, this is the first game I managed to watch until the end (albeit multi-tasking a bit).

Stryke

Star Player
Country Flag
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4f4cOZzVgg"]TGS Blood Bowl Tournament - TotalBiscuit vs. The Completionist - Round 2[/ame]

Another match is up this time with TB and Completionist. If anything I think the fact they rerecorded the commentary due to technical issues this actually worked better as they're forced to take more of an overview rather than just doing play by play.

Still going by TB's twitter I'll be astounded if this competition makes it to completion though.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I'm really enjoying watching the games regardless of the tactical standard of the coaches.

Crendor

Rookie
Country Flag
Hey! Just wanted to stop by and say I'm browsing through these forums. I've always enjoyed sports management as well as fantasy, so love Blood Bowl. I played Warhammer, as the lizardmen, in 7/8th grade (incorrectly played it with friends, lol) but is the reason I chose the lizardmen for this tourney.

If you'd like to critique my play, I'm all for learning what I'm doing wrong and what I should mainly work on.

Mordachai

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Mordachai
Country Flag
Heya Crendor!
Love to see one of the participants here on the forums!

I suggest that you start a separate thread regarding your play. That way this thread can be about the general league commentary.

I'd love to give you a few pointers, as would most of us here. If you want to to discuss strategy "live" that should also be quite easy to set up.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Crendor!

Welcome here mate.

I think I speak for most of the "veterans" here when I say that ALL of you guys at the TGS Tourney would benefit from a refresh of the basics in BloodBowl (well, some of you more than others but hey). On the entertainment front I think you all score 10 out of 10 though so keep it up!

I can not recommend enough that you all read this thoroughly, The Art of Blocking:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310006_BB_Art_of_Blocking.pdf

By the looks of most of the TGS league games so far it seems there is a general lack of understanding (to put it mildly) on how to make 1D blocks versus 2D blocks or even 3D blocks. What is for sure missing aswell is an understanding on how assists work and how they help in making those blocks.

Blocking is the single most common action you will ever do in Bloodbowl (specially playing as Lizards!). Read it. Learn it. Live it. :D

We would all be greatful if you could pass the attached link to all of your opponents in the Tourney as it seems rather difficult to reach them.

Last edited:

Mordachai

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Mordachai
Country Flag
I totally agree with the above! Listen to the man! Especially the bit about spreading the word to the other coaches is something of utmost importance.

I still regret not reaching any of the participants before the league started. I offered my help, but received no answer, unfortunately.

Web Cole

Veteran
Country Flag
Hey! Just wanted to stop by and say I'm browsing through these forums. I've always enjoyed sports management as well as fantasy, so love Blood Bowl. I played Warhammer, as the lizardmen, in 7/8th grade (incorrectly played it with friends, lol) but is the reason I chose the lizardmen for this tourney.

If you'd like to critique my play, I'm all for learning what I'm doing wrong and what I should mainly work on.

You and Sidestrafe are the two guys who really "get it" so far, even above AJ or TB, keep improving and your in with a good chance of winning it all :)

A couple of things from me:

You could think about using your Skinks for assists. For instance, a few times against AJ you had 1D against his Flesh Golems, and you could have brought a skink for an assist, and assuming at least a push your Skink should still be safe and out of contact next turn. (Correction: FGs have Stand Firm and would therefore not be pushed back. Thx Nikolai)

You might want to be wary of dressing your LOS so heavily when you are kicking, you risk having your backfield penetrated and a significant amount of your muscle marked out of the action, especially against high MA opponents.

In your AJ game, the block you do here would have allowed you to push your Saurus clear of any tackle zones, leaving him free to move and help protect the ball carrier. Chain pushing is awesome, look out for opportunities to utilise it :)

Last edited:

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Hey Crendor, off the top of my head, the only thing you need to be more aware of is placing your players too near the sideline.

Against the Norse team, there was a lot of opportunities for him to push your players into the crowd. Luckily for you he didn't spot them! One of the best ways to get a numerical advantage, especially against a team of stronger and high armoured players.